Start by marking “Notes: On the Making of "Apocalypse Now"” as Want to Read:
Notes: On the Making of "Apocalypse Now"

Notes: On the Making of "Apocalypse Now"

These notes take us behind the scenes, and at the same time brings us into a private world of exhilaration, pain and dramatic conflict.
Published August 1st 2004 by Limelight Editions (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Notes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Notes

Natalie
Mar 01, 2011 Natalie rated it really liked it
Shelves: cinema, memoirs
Much better than "Notes on a Life," also by E. Coppola. In that one, which I read in one day while sitting on a Cape Cod beach, I was disappointed with E.'s whining & lack of self-realization, though I understand it's hard to be in the shadow of a very overpowering, passionate husband. I did (do?) respect E.'s reflective spirit, her devotion to her wonderful, funny children, and her knack for making even the most ordinary observations sound simple and interesting, unadorned but true. I love ...more
Ricardo
Oct 11, 2008 Ricardo rated it it was amazing
Yo sabía que ella había filmado un documental, pero no que había escrito un diario. Pues es apasionante. Arranca con un prólogo donde pauta las negociaciones sostenidas cuando se iba conformando el reparto. Y luego viene el diario propiamente dicho, el diario de la esposa americana de un director superconsagrado que de buenas a primera se ve instalada en las Filipinas con sus 3 hijos. Allí le piden que se haga cargo de un documental. Eleanor nunca había hecho tomado una cámara y empieza a escrib ...more
Joaquin
Jul 30, 2016 Joaquin rated it liked it
Recommends it for: amantes del cine
Shelves: cine
El libro está escrito por la mujer de Coppola y es un diario bastante personal durante el tiempo de rodaje y producción de "Apocalypse Now". Está escrito a modo de diario o como hoy diríamos a modo de blog con posts.

En él se pueden diferenciar dos temas principales, por un lado la anécdotas de la película que son bastante entretenidas y por otro lado la relación familiar de Eleanor con Francis y sus hijos. Esta parte se me hizo más tediosa y aburrida salvo por las anécdotas de la pequeña Sofía C
MacDara Conroy
Was it worth reading this book without having seen the movie (I've tried, but, y'know)? Actually, I think it's better that way, because neither had anyone at the time Eleanor Coppola was writing these notes on the goings-on around its production, and indeed the notes end before the film is even completed and released. Now I feel like I'd have a better grasp on the film itself for when I sit down to watch it properly at some point. Because it's more than just the film; people's lives are lived ov ...more
Jacinto  Lloret
Aug 11, 2016 Jacinto Lloret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me gustó. A Francis Ford Coppola lo deja como un genio del cine, pero como persona no tanto. Sincera y fresca la escritura del diario que desvela no pocos entresijos de lo que fue el verdadero binomio central del rodaje caótico de Apocalipsis Now: Coppola y su alter ego "Kurtz".
Filippo Ulivieri
Jan 26, 2016 Filippo Ulivieri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arte
Diario privato, diario di produzione, confessionale, seduta psicanalitica, terapia di coppia. A tratti illuminante, sia sul lavoro e la personalità di Francis Ford Coppola, sia sui tormenti di un artista in lotta contro il suo materiale. Scrittura semplice, ma mai banale. La Coppola deve essere intelligente quanto il Coppola.
Sandi Mann
Jun 06, 2014 Sandi Mann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: movie-lovers
excellent as a record of the making of the movie, fascinating details.
Mark Pettit
Sep 08, 2016 Mark Pettit rated it liked it
A pretty interesting diary about the making the Apocalypse Now. The ending left me wanting to know what happened to their lives next!
Denice
Nov 05, 2012 Denice rated it it was amazing
Loving Eleanor's inside look at the making of such an iconic movie. Very profound insight on Francis Ford Coppola's process, " ...The themes are about themes [Francis] is in the process of working out within himself [at that moment in time], rather than from things he has resolved and can be detached and objective about."
Sarajennifer
Oct 09, 2008 Sarajennifer rated it it was amazing
Eleanor Coppola is now one of my personal heros. This book is a MUST read! Especially if you are a mother and/or are married and in the arts world. It is touching and very deep as well as a brilliant account of what the Coppolas went through to bring A.N. to life. This woman is amazing in her clarity.
Charles
Jan 07, 2014 Charles rated it it was amazing
Magnificent behind the scenes perspective on the making of a great film!
Susan
Nov 05, 2007 Susan rated it it was amazing
This is currently one of my favorite books. I love her detached outsiders perspective on her everything from her sandals to Marlon Brando. Unadorned honesty.
Maureen
Aug 02, 2011 Maureen rated it really liked it
I'm loving this book so far! Lots of backstory into the filming of one of my favorite movies.
Jonathan
Aug 19, 2010 Jonathan rated it really liked it
A book that will make you want to see the Apocalypse Now again.
Jean-Pascal
Nov 01, 2011 Jean-Pascal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pour les passionnés du film mais pas seulement.
Daisy
Oct 17, 2010 Daisy rated it really liked it
Shelves: out-of-towners
Illuminating.
Matty
Matty marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2016
Carol
Carol is currently reading it
Sep 26, 2016
Cbj
Cbj marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Phil
Phil rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2016
Luisa
Luisa rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2016
Jordi Flotats
Jordi Flotats rated it it was ok
Aug 29, 2016
Kenny
Kenny added it
Aug 11, 2016
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
RB
RB marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Joakim Gustafsson
Joakim Gustafsson marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
  • Cronenberg on Cronenberg
  • This Is Orson Welles
  • Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner
  • Kieslowski on Kieslowski
  • O Brother, Where Art Thou?
  • The Films of Akira Kurosawa