Start by marking “The Wyrmling Horde” as Want to Read:
The Wyrmling Horde

The Wyrmling Horde (The Runelords #7)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  1,517 ratings  ·  32 reviews
On a world brimming with dark magic and ruled by a creature of unrelenting evil, one who is gathering monstrous armies in a bid to conquer the universe, Fallion Orden lies in shackles. His allies must risk everything in an attempt to free him.
Audio CD
Published August 1st 2012 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Wyrmling Horde, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wyrmling Horde

Angie
In theory, each book should have a beginning, middle, and end. It's the beginning and end that readers enjoy the most. That is why I think many fans of the Runelord series dislike the latter books in the series; books 6 and 7 consist mostly of the boring middle part that we're just trying to get through to get to the end.

Instead, things just keep getting worse and worse, and it's to the point now that things are so bad there is no frame of reference anymore. It is difficult to relate to the char
Critical Mind
The eighth book of well-done Runelords series, Wyrmling Horde just came out, and I was excited. Despite the fact that Tor set a word-count restriction on the author, resulting in a much smaller book starting with the previous Worldbinder (which resulted in a truncated feel to that ending), the series has been a good, solid read. So i delved in.

A few chapters in, I was horrified. The recap from book seven was contrived and forced. Very disappointing was the questionable cast of characters asked
Robin
I can't believe all the 4 and 5 star ratings. What book did you people read? I think David is running out of ideas. This series has never been at the top of my list, but I've enjoyed reading it until now. This is the worst book of the series. It's more of the same thing over and over again. Nothing seems to really happen.

I kinda liked where books 5 and 6 went with the story, but now it's just, blah. Which interestingly, is what I thought of the third book, the third chapter of the first story ar
Jesse
A very disappointing read. I was really looking forward to this and it failed on so many levels. It was slow, filled with mindless descriptions and repetitive writing. The plot failed to move at even a snails pace and I feel that the story itself wasn't moved along at all. To me this should have been chopped down by 150 pages and been a section of a quality book instead the entirety of a pathetic book. Its quality that matters in writing Mr. Farland, Not quantity. I say this as a fan, and I hope ...more
Heather
The writing is simply poetic.

Warning--while the cover looks YA--it's very violent and graphic.
Mike
I have always been more of a fan of Science Fiction than I have of Fantasy which makes sense for someone who grew up watching Star Wars and Star Trek with my Dad. I have always loved thinking about the future and what amazing things will be possible, whereas fantasy always feels like I am looking back at things that are definitely not possible. (I also think that the best horror is always about what is possible and not what is fantastic.) In spite of all that I still find myself reading a lot of ...more
Rich
David Farland, aka Dave Wolverton, has created the most interesting fantasy series, world, and system of magic in the world of fantasy to come along in decads. All I can say about this one is WOW! STUNNING! What sets him apart from all of his competitors is how he so effortlessly merges deep philosophical concepts--forgiveness, Christ in the Garden of Gethsemene, Biblical allusions, drawing from his own LDS theology, and so many other issues--with slam bang action that takes your breath away. Th ...more
Joshua Brewer
Battle of evil versus good with a twist.

A story filed with both love and strife you will find yourself looking forward to that next page, chapter, book.
Jerry Hart
My least-favorite in the series so far. Nothing much happens, and sidelining the main character Fallion was a big mistake, in my opinion.
Jessica
The magic in these books is heartbreaking as well as truly unique. If you choose to become a runelord, hundreds of people must give up their lives for you, and so Farland's true heroes bear great emotional burdens as well as great power. Because of this, they are very real people, with hopes and moral dilemmas that you rarely see in high fantasy. The action is gripping as well, and the villains are evil with a capital E.
Marklandman
Really easy and quick read. I really like the plot twists and new characters now that the two worlds are combined. Hopefully the Glories have some pretty awesome ideas though, because Lord Despair has a lot of power right now.
Hanako
i enjoyed this - but then was a bit grumpy - i try not to start series until they are already done. my brother started me on this one and i didn't think to ask whether it was a complete series or not...and now i have to wait for the next book...which really means that by the time it comes out and i start reading it...i will have pretty much no idea what happened in these seven books. :)
Drew Nelson
Though the runelords series has lost some of its original fire, it's still a good story and a fun read. As it has been throughout the series, things are not always pleasant and bad things (terrible things, really) happen to good characters. The early runelords books are some of my favorite, but I'm afraid most of the later ones are fairly average.
Byron Smith
Excellent continuation of the ever loved saga known as The Runelords. I was not as entertained as previous books. However, I feel that this is a common feeling among epic stories. The days of Trilogies seem to have faded with The Wheel of Time. I still enjoy Mr. Farland's work and look forward to the next installment.
Podussy
Farland is just milking the success from the first 4 books. I cant believe he did not end the series here. Its getting a bit tiresome now. He needs to conclude the series because he is fighting for ideas and a decent story line. Nevertheless, the way the book ended you have to read the next one to have a peace of mind
Robert
I like how he has moved this story along to delve into the entire universe. This is a good addition and certainly sets up the final book in this series. I like how he has been tying these 2nd 4 books back to the original 4 book series.
Micah Bucy
Series was average at best until this book. I finished the book but will not be continuing the series. The story crawls. The characters lose their luster. Not much more to say.
Michele
Nicely done... There's not a whole lot of forward progress, but you understand the background of the situation a lot better and it's interesting enough that you don't get bored.
Seth
It was an ok read had some interesting parts and the underling "magic" is rather interesting, but I think Mr. Farland should have stopped after the first 4 books.
Eric Moreno
Kenneth Hayes Geary
Jun 06, 2013 Kenneth Hayes Geary rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy readers
This is one of those series that gets better as it goes on instead of dragging on it speeds up and the danger increases.
Kevin
Like the last several books of this series, it was not a very memorable book. I've already forgotten the ending.
Aaron Anderson
I enjoyed this one a bit more than the last. Probably because there was more tension and fighting.
Don
this is not the best book in the series but it beats many other writer's works without a doubt
Diane
Ugh... good author, but seven books in... whatever happened to one good stand-alone novel?!
Jesse
A dark addition to the Runelords saga, was not a let down after the well-done Worldbinder.
Liz
Happy to stick with the series, but this felt like half a book, compared to the previous ones.
Jason Lutovsky
Not much to add here. Review of "Worldbinder" pretty much applies here as well.
BQ
3.5 stars. Steadily getting better again.
Ginn
That was an non-ending. I hate that.
  • Mage-Guard of Hamor (Saga of Recluce, #15)
  • Stormed Fortress (Wars of Light & Shadow #8; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #5)
  • The Prince of Shadow (Seven Brothers, #1)
  • Shadow Gate (Crossroads, #2)
  • The Fifth Sorceress (The Chronicles of Blood and Stone, #1)
  • Elegy for a Lost Star (Symphony of Ages, #5)
  • Wizard of the Winds (Tales of the Timuras, #1)
  • Lord of the Silent Kingdom
  • Servant of the Dragon (Lord of the Isles, #3)
David Farland is the author of the bestselling Runelords series, including Chaosbound, The Wyrmling Horde and Worldbinder. He also writes science-fiction as David Wolverton. He won the 1987 Writers of the Future contest, and has been nominated for a Nebula Award and a Hugo Award. Farland also works as a video game designer, and has taught writing seminars around the U.S. and Canada. He lives in Sa ...more
More about David Farland...
The Sum of All Men (Runelords #1) Brotherhood of the Wolf (Runelords, #2) Wizardborn (Runelords, #3) The Lair of Bones (Runelords, #4) Sons of the Oak (Runelords, #5)