Start by marking “A Cup Full of Midnight” as Want to Read:
A Cup Full of Midnight

A Cup Full of Midnight (Jared McKean Mystery #2)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Private detective Jared McKean's nephew, Josh, has fallen in with a dangerous goth group. When the group's leader--a mind-manipulating sociopath--is found butchered and posed across a pentagram, Josh is the number one suspect.
Audio CD
Published August 1st 2012 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Cup Full of Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Cup Full of Midnight

Michael Wood Jr.
A Cup Full of Midnight: A Jared McKean Mystery
By: Jaden Terrell
Hardcover, 288 pages Published August 15th 2012 by The Permanent Press
ISBN13: 9781579622251

Overall 4 out of 5 stars

This is is second book in the Jared McKean Mystery series. I have not read the first book, yet, but as soon as I get a chance to, I will. A Cup Full of Midnight is a murder mystery. McKean is a private investigator and former homicide detective whose nephew has become a suspect the the murder of a former lover. McKean ge
Kathleen
Jaden Terrell has done it again. Her newest novel, A Cup Full of Midnight, picks up where Racing the Devil left off, with detective Jared McKean answering a desperate phone call from his niece Caitlin, whose teenage brother Josh is a suspect in a murder.
Josh has become involved with a Goth subculture group, whose leader, known as “Razor,” was brutally killed in what could be a ritualistic killing, or at least staged to look like one. McKean makes the clearing of Josh’s name his number one priori
Renee Pinkston
This is not just a story of a murder mystery, but a few stories layered all together like a big cake that you just cannot stop reading. The layers of meaning in this story, as well as the details, thoughts, and emotions that you come in contact with while reading are really what keep it going. This is such a intelligent story, there is thick base of psychology that is thrilling to read and kept me on the edge near the end when all was coming clear. It is obvious that Terrell is very well versed ...more
Sheila
If you didn’t read Jaden Terrell’s Racing the Devil you missed a really good mystery novel. But don’t worry—you don’t have to have read it to be wholly enthralled and wholly satisfied by this second Jared McKean mystery. A Cup Full of Midnight is complete on its own, an intellectually thrilling mystery, psychologically scary and real, filled with memorable real-world characters and the sort of social commentary that comes from genuine conversation and honest concern. Jared McKean is a wounded pr ...more
Amy
Nashville. Horses. Country music. Murder? It worked in Jaden Terrell’s debut and it works in her second novel A Cup Full of Midnight. Welcome back private investigator Jared McKean, a sensitive tough guy which should appeal to a wide swath of readers. His housemate has AIDS, his son has Down’s Syndrome, he’s divorced, loves his ex and respects his ex’s new husband and new situation. He likes to ride his horse in his down time. He’s been a decent advisor/ father-figure to his teenaged gay nephew ...more
Darcia Helle
This book has many layers. At the heart is a murder mystery with many twists that kept me guessing throughout. We also explore love and loss, the depths of friendship, and the intricacies of family.

I found the characters compelling. They have strengths and faults, are well-developed and feel totally human. The plot is completely believably and relevant to our world today. The writing is exceptional, with a pace that is quick without feeling rushed.

This is the second Jared McKean mystery. I have
Samantha Ruby
I received this book as a first-reads winner.
I felt the book moved at a great pace that keeps the reader engaged throughout the whole book. Mysteries are not my usual cup of tea, but this story was captivating and unpredictable. Throughout the story there's a balance of dark and light, with central themes of love and hate, hope and despair, betrayal and loyalty. It was a great read and Jaden Tarrell has been added to the list of Mystery writers I like to read!
Paul Parsons
Murder mysteries are not my genre, but if you're into them, you'll enjoy this latest tale by local author Jaden Terrell. The cast of characters is a menagerie of misfits, outcasts, unfortunates and crazies that somehow blend together into this bizarre tale of the gothic, vampire sub-culture of Nashville. Well written and enjoyable to the murder mystery crowd.
Holly McIntyre
I picked this up because it is set in Nashville and I wanted to see how the city I'm familiar with is portrayed in fiction. Quickly, however, I was drawn in to the plot and developed sympathy for the characters. There are a few rough edges here and there, but this is an excellent mystery and bodes well for other books by this author. I will be looking for them.
Islefaye
Enjoyed that it was set in Nashville since I lived there for a little while once. Also loved how the main character had a gay friend and it dealt with his feelings of overcoming homophobia to realize his friend meant more to him than what the rest of the world thought about it. Uhm everybody needs to do that, people are people. Nice mystery read too :D
Rosa M.
This book grew on me as it went along. At first the subject matter was quite dark and strange, but the pace of the writing made me curious to get to the next event, and the next, and the next. The author created a subculture outside of most people's comfort zone, and deftly kept the characters down to earth.
Misty
I won this book in the Goodreads giveaway...This book was a great read and very well written.It is full of everything you would want in a book, action,great pace from start to finish,characters that you won't forget and much more.Can't wait to read more from this author..
Jessica
I received this book from the firstreads giveaways, and I enjoyed it. The mystery was good, though I think I most enjoyed that the author was not afraid to kill people off, and thus the ending was also good. I would certainly not mind reading more of these!
Marsha

Highly recommend this novel AFTER you have read the first in the series entitled RACING THE DEVIL. Great characters, great plot and more. Couldn't put the book down and I read every detail!
Lynn
Excellent! Goth culture, well developed characters and fast moving plot.
Rebecca
This is rather gory and dark. The original murder is truly gruesome and described in some detail. So if you don’t want to hear about entrails this is not for you. The story is filled with suspects that all had good reason to want the murdered man dead and figuring out which one of them got to him first keeps the reader guessing. Jared, the detective, is an interesting figure that has many things going on in his life besides the murder so you get a nice picture of who he is as a whole and not jus ...more
Gloria Feit
Jared McKean, 36 years of age and now a private detective after seven years with the Nashville Metro Police Department, has gone, as he describes it, from “uniformed patrol officer to undercover vice officer to homicide detective to outsider.” Now he has his most important client ever: his nephew, Josh. Josh and his sister, 14-year-old Caitlin, are as close to him as anyone in his life, the boy feeling closer to him than to his own father. Lately Josh’s life has been in a state of upheaval, havi ...more
Ann
The author has made her characters and setting come to life. So much so that I'm going to go back and read the first in the series. It was a delight to meet and chat with Jaden at Murder in the Magic City this February, 2014 in Birmingham, AL.
David Marshall
A distinct improvement on the first novel in this series, this represents a good balance between character development and plot.

Viccy
Jaren McKean is a P.I. on the mean streets of Nashville. An ex-cop, divorced from a woman he still loves with a Down Syndrome child, Jared struggles with anger issues. He lives with his best friend from childhood, a gay man living with AIDS. His nephew is implicated in the murder of a Goth/vampire wannabe and Jared takes the case on, head-first. He becomes submerged in the Goth underculture and learns more than he ever wanted to know about headgames and the psychology of abuse. An interesting re ...more
J.J. Hensley
I really enjoyed this book, which is the second in a series. Terrell does a great job with creating a realistic protagonist who has real-life problems, insecurities, and shortcomings. I also like that the setting is Nashville, which is not that common for novels. I highly recommend this book.
Neil
I had really high hopes for this book. I find that Jared is a very interesting and enjoyable character. The book was dark and an interesting read. I didn’t get into this one as much as Racing the Devil but was still a solid read and I will be anticipating the next book in this series.
David Richardson
I received this book for free from the Goodreads first-read giveaway. This was a good story but it seems to be missing something to me. I can't put my finger on it. Didn't have a "happily ever-after" ending.
Peg Brantley
Mark your calendars for August 9th. That's the release date for Terrell's new book. It's terrific. And in the meantime, if you haven't read RACING THE DEVIL, you're in for a treat.
Mary
Good story, likeable main character and a new setting for me - Nashville. I enjoyed this book and will look for more in the series.
Nancy
A fine mystery with lots of twists and turns to keep the reader going.
Stephanie Smith
New author to me, thoroughly enjoyed the mystery and the new voice.
Layne
very dark and brooding. not really my style.
Sue1958
Sue1958 marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Jaden Terrell is the Shamus award-nominated author of three novels, <1>Racing the Devil (January 2012), A Cup Full of Midnight, (August 2012), and River of Glass featuring Nashville-based private detective Jared McKean.

Terrell has attended the Metro Nashville, FBI/TBI, and TBI Citizen Academies and is a member of Mystery Writers of America, International Thriller Writers, Sisters in Crime, W
More about Jaden Terrell...

Jared McKean Mystery (2 books)
  • Racing the Devil
Racing the Devil River of Glass River of Glass (Jared Mckean)