Start by marking “Contemporary American Poetry” as Want to Read:
Contemporary American ...

A. Poulin Jr.

Contemporary American Poetry

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  226 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews

This highly respected anthology presents the work of 66 poets who have "shaped the contours and direction of the mainstream of American poetry" from 1955 to the present. The alphabetically arranged collection provides a generous sampling of each poet with a photo, biographical sketches, and bibliographies.

Editor Michael Waters continues the careful selection process as A.

Paperback
Published January 1st 1991 by Houghton Mifflin (first published January 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Contemporary American Poetry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Contemporary American Poetry

Dayna
Dec 27, 2007 Dayna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I own many books of poetry and a few poetry anthologies. It is rare that an anthology includes all of the poets whose work I admire, but this is one of those. As is the case for many anthologies, for those who are looking for samples of more experimental work, this is not for you. This includes the typical major players like Robert Hayden, Galway Kinnell, and Philip Levine, but it also offers work by culturally varied poets like Gary Soto, Kimiko Hahn, and Naomi Shihab Nye. There really wasn't a ...more
Amy
Wonder what constitutes a poem these days, especially without obvious rules or structure?

I love this collection because it teaches this old dog new tricks.
Rose
Jan 03, 2013 Rose rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My rating would have been higher but I'm not the biggest fan of poetry. This is an excellent collection of poets and their poems. I actually found this book in a pile that some of my college professors were giving away. I had just been in a Poetry class, and I felt the need to continue reading poetry even though it's not my favorite reading material. I am glad I read this collection of poetry, and I would recommend it to anyone who has a love for poetry.
Eric
Jun 27, 2009 Eric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's very difficult for me to find a collection of poetry that I can read most of the way through. This had good work from authors I never knew, and am now a fan of. Besides that, there were good bios and acknowledgements section to find a lot of books from. A good mixture of some poets; others, I have no idea how they got into publication at all.
Vicki
Oct 30, 2009 Vicki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, scholarship
I loved this book when I first got it (first poetry workshop), and I love returning to it. The more years that pass, the more I realize it's a fantastic introduction to some of the most important poets we have. A great compilation!
C
Apr 11, 2012 C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As others have said, I got this as a college textbook, but keep returning to it. At one point I lost my copy and had to find another. Hearing about the death of Adrienne Rich, I re-read her poems in this collection.
Auntjenny
Nov 15, 2010 Auntjenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I suppose this is the book that introduced me to contemporary American poetry. I still read it (it's on my nightstand!). So many poets to keep falling in love with.
Lisa
Jan 14, 2011 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a textbook in college, but I still pick it up every once in awhile and read some poems. This is the best anthology I can think of for modern poems. Amen.
Cassa
Apr 07, 2008 Cassa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-class
Read it for class. Don't read it all in one day like I did, you'll explode.

Good collection of authors, interesting enough work, nothing I found "spoke" to me.
Indy
Jul 11, 2008 Indy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Indy by: Dr. Taylor
Shelves: poetry
Just re-read for the twentieth time at least. I love this compilation. Thanks Dr. Taylor!
Mike
Oct 17, 2013 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful. If you come across a copy, buy it.
Hanne
Hanne marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Wilderwring
Wilderwring marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
Shauna
Shauna marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Josie
Josie rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2016
Ellie
Ellie marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2016
Porsha
Porsha marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Dean
Dean marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Fran Blake
Fran Blake rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2016
Gianna
Gianna marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Tina Humphrey
Tina Humphrey marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Scott
Scott rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2016
  • A New Selected Poems
  • New Selected Poems
  • I Have to Go Back to 1994 and Kill a Girl: Poems
  • Vice: New and Selected Poems
  • Language for a New Century: Contemporary Poetry from the Middle East, Asia, and Beyond
  • The Vintage Book of Contemporary American Poetry