Blank-133x176
Contemporary American ...

A. Poulin Jr.

Contemporary American Poetry

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  180 ratings  ·  12 reviews

This highly respected anthology presents the work of 66 poets who have "shaped the contours and direction of the mainstream of American poetry" from 1955 to the present. The alphabetically arranged collection provides a generous sampling of each poet with a photo, biographical sketches, and bibliographies.

Editor Michael Waters continues the careful selection process as A.

Paperback
Published January 1st 1991 by Houghton Mifflin (first published January 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Contemporary American Poetry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Contemporary American Poetry

Dayna
I own many books of poetry and a few poetry anthologies. It is rare that an anthology includes all of the poets whose work I admire, but this is one of those. As is the case for many anthologies, for those who are looking for samples of more experimental work, this is not for you. This includes the typical major players like Robert Hayden, Galway Kinnell, and Philip Levine, but it also offers work by culturally varied poets like Gary Soto, Kimiko Hahn, and Naomi Shihab Nye. There really wasn't a...more
Heather Moss
This was our textbook in the first poetry workshop I ever took. I had always liked poetry but my world of poets was very narrow before I owned this book, so I am grateful to have read it so thoroughly and learned about 20th century American poets in the mainstream. Although my poetic interests have largely moved away from this group of writers, I still have a nostalgic love for this book and find it comforting to return here when I've had a rough day and just want to revisit something that moved...more
Rose
My rating would have been higher but I'm not the biggest fan of poetry. This is an excellent collection of poets and their poems. I actually found this book in a pile that some of my college professors were giving away. I had just been in a Poetry class, and I felt the need to continue reading poetry even though it's not my favorite reading material. I am glad I read this collection of poetry, and I would recommend it to anyone who has a love for poetry.
Eric
It's very difficult for me to find a collection of poetry that I can read most of the way through. This had good work from authors I never knew, and am now a fan of. Besides that, there were good bios and acknowledgements section to find a lot of books from. A good mixture of some poets; others, I have no idea how they got into publication at all.
Vicki
I loved this book when I first got it (first poetry workshop), and I love returning to it. The more years that pass, the more I realize it's a fantastic introduction to some of the most important poets we have. A great compilation!
C
As others have said, I got this as a college textbook, but keep returning to it. At one point I lost my copy and had to find another. Hearing about the death of Adrienne Rich, I re-read her poems in this collection.
Auntjenny
I suppose this is the book that introduced me to contemporary American poetry. I still read it (it's on my nightstand!). So many poets to keep falling in love with.
Lisa
This was a textbook in college, but I still pick it up every once in awhile and read some poems. This is the best anthology I can think of for modern poems. Amen.
Cassa
Read it for class. Don't read it all in one day like I did, you'll explode.

Good collection of authors, interesting enough work, nothing I found "spoke" to me.
Jonathan
This was my textbook/my Bible to poetry.
I've been trying to get every poet I admire to sign it.
Alas, they keep dying.
Indy
Jul 11, 2008 Indy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Indy by: Dr. Taylor
Shelves: poetry
Just re-read for the twentieth time at least. I love this compilation. Thanks Dr. Taylor!
Mike
Wonderful. If you come across a copy, buy it.
Woodenpoet
Woodenpoet marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Erin Boldin
Erin Boldin marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Kara Moore
Kara Moore marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Stephanie Pennington
Stephanie Pennington marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Jackie Craven
Jackie Craven marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
N Insley
N Insley marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Karla
Karla marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Jonathan Kemner
Jonathan Kemner marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
  • Song
  • The Simple Truth
  • The Good Thief
  • Interior with Sudden Joy: Poems
Selected Poems Contemporary American Poetry, Seventh Edition and Compact Dictionary A Momentary Order: Poems Contemporary American Poetry 7th Edition Plus Text Letter Contemporary American Poetry Eighth Edition Plus Barton Contemporary Handbook of Literary Terms Second Edition