Start by marking “Banquets of the Black Widowers (The Black Widowers, #4)” as Want to Read:
Banquets of the Black Widowers (The Black Widowers, #4)

Banquets of the Black Widowers (The Black Widowers #4)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  451 ratings  ·  15 reviews
This anthology contains: Introduction; Sixty Million Trillion Combinations; The Woman in the Bar; The Driver; The Good Samaritan; The Year of the Action; Can You Prove It?; The Phoenician Bauble; A Monday in April; Neither Brute nor Human; The Redhead; The Wong House; The Intrusion
Published 1986 by HarperCollins (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Banquets of the Black Widowers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Banquets of the Black Widowers

The Westing Game by Ellen RaskinAnd Then There Were None by Peter ForemanEncyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective by Donald J. SobolThe Roman Hat Mystery by Ellery QueenCasebook of the Black Widowers by Isaac Asimov
Solve-it-yourself Mysteries- All Ages
11th out of 54 books — 20 voters
A Great Deliverance by Elizabeth  GeorgeThe Virgin in the Ice by Ellis PetersThe Name of the Rose by Umberto EcoThe Rose Rent by Ellis PetersMonk's Hood by Ellis Peters
Best Mysteries from the 1980s
104th out of 122 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

Chris
I'm a sucker for these short stories. Objectively I know they aren't great as far as mysteries go, especially this far along into them (this is the 4th collection), but it's just very relaxing to read about the various quirky characters and their traditional dinners that always result in a puzzle solved by Henry the waiter.
Ensiform
Another collection of the mystery series. While not exactly admirable prose achievements, these short mysteries are fun and can be quite entertaining. Many of his stories ("The Intrusion," "The Driver") rely on a rather deep erudition to "solve" (the worst case being "Sixty Million Trillion Combinations," the solution of which is extremely flimsy). Others have clues not presented accurately enough to give the reader a fair chance: in "The Phoenician Bauble," we are told that some sketched fleurs ...more
Bebabi34
elenco dei racconti:
Milioni di trilioni La signora del bar L'autista Il Buon Samaritano L'anno dell'azione Può provarlo? Il gingillo fenicio Un lunedì d'aprile Né bestie né uomini La rossa La casa sbagliata L'intrusione
Shweta
Armchair mysteries, written to perfection by Asimov. These stories are pinwheels of brilliance and ingenuity, engrossing and entertaining. A perfect way to spend the afternoon.
Zai Bálint
short stories about some gents solving misteries while dining in class
was surprised to learn that Asimov wrote crime novels
Matt Kelland
Entertaining, and more fun than his sci-fi.
Ki
I've read them all, and I have to say, I love them. But not everyone will.

If you like cerebral-mysteries, like Agatha Christie; if you like short stories with recurring characters; if you like subtle little twists and gimmicks; and if you're just a little crazy about Asimov anyways, then then the Black Widowers Mysteries are definitely more for you.
Mike
Another twelve short delightful little mysteries. If you're reading this you're either an Asimov or a mystery fan: I'm both, so I guess I'm getting double the enjoyment! Anyway it was worth it, especially since I got a 99c paperback at the Salvation Army.
Vito
Terzo volume per la saga dei Vedovi Neri di Asimov: racconti che si rifanno al mistery classico, intinti di ironia e leggerezza, piacevoli e scorrevoli come nelle precedenti raccolte.
Libro godibilissimo per una lettura spensierata.
Sara
Love the short stories and especially his reasons for writing each short story. It is entertaining and it makes me want to meet the characters. Perfect read right before bed!
Lauren
Henry, the sixty-ish waiter and the members of the Black Widowers listen to and solve more puzzles. Admittedly they are a formula but a rather good one that works time after time.
Mike
A mystery novel about a group of men who meet once a month to "grill" a guest and try to solve a problem they have. A good read.
Beka
Ooh, I especially liked the last 2 stories, though all of them were very good.
Denicemarcell
i read this back in the 90s. only a few of the solutions stayed with me.
William
William marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Jesse
Jesse marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Alejandro Millán
Alejandro Millán marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
  • The Thinking Machine
  • Detective Stories
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Seventeenth Annual Collection
  • The Collected Stories of Greg Bear
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • A Wizard In War (Rogue Wizard, #4)
  • Fer-de-Lance/The League of Frightened Men (Nero Wolfe, #1-2)
  • Gratuitous Epilogue (Touchstone, #Extra)
  • 101 storie Zen
  • PhD Chapter 2: Life is tough and then you graduate
  • Buddha, Brain and Neurophysiology of Happiness. How to change lives for the better. Practical Guide
  • Psychosynthesis: A Manual of Principles and Techniques
  • Shiva: The Wild God of Power and Ecstasy
  • Norby: Robot For Hire (Norby, #3-4)
  • Dans les bois éternels (Commissaire Adamsberg, #7)
  • The Meditative Mind: The Varieties of Meditative Experience
  • Gary Vaynerchuk's 101 Wines: Guaranteed to Inspire, Delight, and Bring Thunder to Your World
  • The Anastasia Syndrome

Professor Asimov is generally considered the most prolific writer of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. He has works published in nine of the te
More about Isaac Asimov...

The Black Widowers (5 books)
  • Tales of the Black Widowers (The Black Widowers, #1)
  • More Tales of the Black Widowers (The Black Widowers, #2)
  • Puzzles of the Black Widowers (The Black Widowers, #5)
  • The Return of the Black Widowers (The Black Widowers, #6)
Foundation (Foundation, #1) I, Robot (Robot, #0.1) Foundation and Empire (Foundation, #2) Second Foundation (Foundation, #3) The Foundation Trilogy (Foundation, #1-3)