Start by marking “Elegantissima: The Design and Typography of Louise Fili” as Want to Read:
Elegantissima: The Design and Typography of Louise Fili

Elegantissima: The Design and Typography of Louise Fili

4.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  134 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Published September 5th 2012 by Princeton Architectural Press

To ask other readers questions about Elegantissima, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elegantissima

First Second Books
Louise Fili has been an inspiration for designers around the world since the 1980s, when she raised the bar on book cover design, creating close to two thousand jackets as art director for Pantheon Books. In 1989 Fili founded her own graphic design studio, Louise Fili Ltd, and branched out into the fields of restaurant and food packaging design. Her lavish and elegant typography, often hand drawn, helps advertise and market such well-known brands as Sarabeth’s, Bella Cucina, Jean-Georges, and Go ...more
Lichia
Jan 13, 2013 Lichia rated it it was amazing
One of the most perfect books I've ever held in my hands, delicious from beginning to end. Louise Fili's attention to detail and design sensitivity is evident on every single page.
Jessica
Oct 08, 2013 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I am slowly savoring this gorgeous, inspirational book. Louise Fili is such a creative genius and true talent that I may just forgive her snobbery towards NJ.
NZBook Girl
Aug 06, 2015 NZBook Girl rated it really liked it
If you like elegant graphic design, and particularly lettering, Louise Fili is a great place to start. A monster book packed with examples of her work. I particularly liked the intro letter from her now-husband and great graphic design writer, Steven Heller. Again, I discovered Louise through following Jessica Hische - Louise was the one person smart enough to employ JH when she sent out a promo after leaving design school. I can see LF's influence in JH's work and this book filled in all the ga ...more
LOL_BOOKS
BEST MOVIE, SHOW, BOOK AND SONG OF THE YEAR? PICK ONE.

BOOK: LOL I GUESS PAPER GIRLS BY BRIAN K VAUGHAN AND CLIFF CHIANG. IL CLIFF CHIANG'S LINE QUALITY. I ALSO READ ELEGANTISSIMA BY LOUISE FILI WHICH IL'D.
Brian Sooy
Feb 05, 2014 Brian Sooy rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Louise's work is as delightful as she is in person. Aspiring type designers and lovers of type will enjoy her smart work, smart thinking, and gain insights into her sources of inspiration.
Stormy
Jan 19, 2016 Stormy rated it really liked it
I feel I have found a new friend in typography and design. Yay.
Q
Jul 22, 2014 Q rated it really liked it
Gorgeous typography - very inspiring.
Cate Meredith
Mar 02, 2014 Cate Meredith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lettering
Gorgeous, gorgeous lettering. Eleganissima is a book of pure inspiration.
Lydia
Jan 15, 2016 Lydia rated it really liked it
So very, very beautiful.
Bill Wells
Jan 09, 2014 Bill Wells rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Great book about a great designer! What I found interesting is that you see sketches and she talks about the design process, rather than just being a catalog of her work. Some nice insights and humor.
Jessica
Aug 09, 2014 Jessica rated it it was amazing
This book is gorgeous. Louise Fili's designs are full of personality, and I loved reading the witty back stories. I thought this might just be a coffee table book that I flipped through now and then, but I ended up reading it cover-to-cover.
Kathleen Bradshaw
Jan 09, 2013 Kathleen Bradshaw rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book is everything the title promises — elegant. It makes me happy just to look at it. If you are a designer, or someone who appreciates genius in the arrangement of line, shape and color, you must get this book.
Erdenechimeg Bat-erdene
May 26, 2015 Erdenechimeg Bat-erdene rated it it was amazing
This is a portfolio of Louise Fili where she explains each project processes. I adore her style. What an amazing career she had.
Whitney
Feb 17, 2013 Whitney rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who love and appreciate good design
Interesting and inspiring! A lovely read and a fantastic reference to keep on the shelf.
Amanda Schutz
Dec 17, 2015 Amanda Schutz rated it really liked it
Shelves: design-books
An excellent overview of Louise's work.
Emily
Feb 04, 2013 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-of-2013
Jaw dropping beautiful design.
Heather
Jesse
Oct 01, 2012 Jesse rated it it was amazing

Adore.
Kaylee
Kaylee rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Emmy
Emmy added it
Feb 07, 2016
Christina
Christina rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Wendy Shiraki
Wendy Shiraki marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Lourdes Cambridge
Lourdes Cambridge rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2016
Stefany Donthavesurname
Stefany Donthavesurname marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Nerissa
Nerissa marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Rafsan Jaman
Rafsan Jaman marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Evil Shelley
Evil Shelley marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Rodrigo Romariz
Rodrigo Romariz marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
  • Scripts: Elegant Lettering from Design's Golden Age
  • Type: A Visual History of Typefaces and Graphic Styles (Volume 1, 1628-1900)
  • Penguin by Design: A Cover Story 1935-2005
  • Little Book of Lettering
  • Designing Type
  • The Anatomy of Type
  • Naïve: Modernism and Folklore in Contemporary Graphic Design
  • In Progress: See Inside a Lettering Artist's Sketchbook and Process, from Pencil to Vector
  • Made You Look
  • Geometry of Design: Studies in Proportion and Composition
  • Fingerprint: The Art of Using Hand-Made Elements in Graphic Design
  • Design Elements: A Graphic Style Manual
  • By Its Cover: Modern American Book Cover Design
  • Stop Stealing Sheep & Find Out How Type Works
  • Maira Kalman: Various Illuminations (of a Crazy World)
  • The Complete Manual of Typography