Start by marking “Elegantissima: The Design and Typography of Louise Fili” as Want to Read:
Elegantissima: The Design and Typography of Louise Fili

Elegantissima: The Design and Typography of Louise Fili

4.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  144 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Published September 5th 2012 by Princeton Architectural Press

To ask other readers questions about Elegantissima, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elegantissima

First Second Books
Louise Fili has been an inspiration for designers around the world since the 1980s, when she raised the bar on book cover design, creating close to two thousand jackets as art director for Pantheon Books. In 1989 Fili founded her own graphic design studio, Louise Fili Ltd, and branched out into the fields of restaurant and food packaging design. Her lavish and elegant typography, often hand drawn, helps advertise and market such well-known brands as Sarabeth’s, Bella Cucina, Jean-Georges, and Go ...more
Lichia
Jan 13, 2013 Lichia rated it it was amazing
One of the most perfect books I've ever held in my hands, delicious from beginning to end. Louise Fili's attention to detail and design sensitivity is evident on every single page.
Jessica
Oct 08, 2013 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I am slowly savoring this gorgeous, inspirational book. Louise Fili is such a creative genius and true talent that I may just forgive her snobbery towards NJ.
NZBook Girl
Aug 06, 2015 NZBook Girl rated it really liked it
If you like elegant graphic design, and particularly lettering, Louise Fili is a great place to start. A monster book packed with examples of her work. I particularly liked the intro letter from her now-husband and great graphic design writer, Steven Heller. Again, I discovered Louise through following Jessica Hische - Louise was the one person smart enough to employ JH when she sent out a promo after leaving design school. I can see LF's influence in JH's work and this book filled in all the ga ...more
LOL_BOOKS
BEST MOVIE, SHOW, BOOK AND SONG OF THE YEAR? PICK ONE.

BOOK: LOL I GUESS PAPER GIRLS BY BRIAN K VAUGHAN AND CLIFF CHIANG. IL CLIFF CHIANG'S LINE QUALITY. I ALSO READ ELEGANTISSIMA BY LOUISE FILI WHICH IL'D.
Brian Sooy
Feb 05, 2014 Brian Sooy rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Louise's work is as delightful as she is in person. Aspiring type designers and lovers of type will enjoy her smart work, smart thinking, and gain insights into her sources of inspiration.
Stormy
Jan 19, 2016 Stormy rated it really liked it
I feel I have found a new friend in typography and design. Yay.
Q
Jul 22, 2014 Q rated it really liked it
Gorgeous typography - very inspiring.
Cara Ellison
Mar 02, 2014 Cara Ellison rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lettering
Gorgeous, gorgeous lettering. Eleganissima is a book of pure inspiration.
Lydia
Jan 15, 2016 Lydia rated it really liked it
So very, very beautiful.
Bill Wells
Jan 09, 2014 Bill Wells rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Great book about a great designer! What I found interesting is that you see sketches and she talks about the design process, rather than just being a catalog of her work. Some nice insights and humor.
Jessica
Aug 09, 2014 Jessica rated it it was amazing
This book is gorgeous. Louise Fili's designs are full of personality, and I loved reading the witty back stories. I thought this might just be a coffee table book that I flipped through now and then, but I ended up reading it cover-to-cover.
Kathleen Bradshaw
Jan 09, 2013 Kathleen Bradshaw rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book is everything the title promises — elegant. It makes me happy just to look at it. If you are a designer, or someone who appreciates genius in the arrangement of line, shape and color, you must get this book.
Erdenechimeg Bat-erdene
May 26, 2015 Erdenechimeg Bat-erdene rated it it was amazing
This is a portfolio of Louise Fili where she explains each project processes. I adore her style. What an amazing career she had.
Whitney
Feb 17, 2013 Whitney rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who love and appreciate good design
Interesting and inspiring! A lovely read and a fantastic reference to keep on the shelf.
Amanda Schutz
Dec 17, 2015 Amanda Schutz rated it really liked it
Shelves: design-books
An excellent overview of Louise's work.
Emily
Feb 04, 2013 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-of-2013
Jaw dropping beautiful design.
Heather
Jesse
Oct 01, 2012 Jesse rated it it was amazing

Adore.
Shellii Huff
Shellii Huff marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Eric
Eric rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2016
Annemarie
Annemarie marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Boon Yew
Boon Yew marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Lasquizzie
Lasquizzie marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Michelle Clement
Michelle Clement rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2016
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Hilaryhuitung
Hilaryhuitung rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2016
Melody
Melody marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
  • Scripts: Elegant Lettering from Design's Golden Age
  • Type: A Visual History of Typefaces and Graphic Styles (Volume 1, 1628-1900)
  • Penguin by Design: A Cover Story 1935-2005
  • Designing Type
  • The Anatomy of Type
  • Little Book of Lettering
  • Made You Look
  • Geometry of Design: Studies in Proportion and Composition
  • In Progress: See Inside a Lettering Artist's Sketchbook and Process, from Pencil to Vector
  • Design Elements: A Graphic Style Manual
  • Fingerprint: The Art of Using Hand-Made Elements in Graphic Design
  • Naïve: Modernism and Folklore in Contemporary Graphic Design
  • Maira Kalman: Various Illuminations (of a Crazy World)
  • 79 Short Essays on Design
  • Penguin 75: Designers, Authors, Commentary (the Good, the Bad . . .)
  • Drawn In: A Peek into the Inspiring Sketchbooks of 44 Fine Artists, Illustrators, Graphic Designers, and Cartoonists
  • Layout Workbook: A Real-World Guide to Building Pages in Graphic Design