Start by marking “Absolutely Faking It ” as Want to Read:
Absolutely Faking It

Absolutely Faking It

For Tiana Templeman, travel has always meant hiking boots and hostels, so when she wins a trip for two to stay at thirteen of the world's most exclusive five-star hotels, it sounds like the chance of a lifetime, an opportunity to see how the other half lives.But with a travel budget stretched tighter than the straps on their bulging backpacks, Tiana and her man have no ...more
Paperback
Published 2006 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about Absolutely Faking It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Absolutely Faking It

Travelling Cari
Aug 27, 2007 Travelling Cari added it
Shelves: travel
I finished this somewhere over the Pacific Ocean on either the 23rd or 24th, since I'm not sure which side of the date line I was on, between Brisbane and Los Angeles, California.

I absolutely loved this book, some of what resonated with me was stemming from my recent stay at the Westin Melbourne (more coming in my blog on that stay!), which may not be a member of the Leading Hotels of the World but remained far above my normal standard.

"We aren't cultural Neanderthals, but I start to wonder how
Skyring
Aug 30, 2010 Skyring rated it really liked it
This travel book is about people as much as places. The travellers and the people they met, in grand hotels or dusty hovels around the world, found that it isn't the uniform or the smelly t-shirt that makes the person, it is the spark of friendship that counts.

Winning the holiday of a lifetime - stays in a dozen of the Leading Hotels of the World - with economy class airfare and enough spending money for a pizza now and then made for an entertaining trip. The holiday of a lifetime was certainly
Michael Mcclelland
Aug 01, 2011 Michael Mcclelland rated it liked it
Combining two of my likes (travelling and comping), I should love this book. I don't mind the occasional travelogue but far prefer ones that aren't quite so....um, nice. Absolutely Faking It is probably even more escapist than regular travel literature, but perhaps so much so that it was difficult for me to empathise. There are a couple of chuckles, a fair few "if only"'s and plenty more wishes for some mean-spirited sarcasm ala that of Bill Bryson.
Rebecca
Aug 28, 2008 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Great to let your mind travel between 5 star and most peoples realities around the world...I think having a budget allowed for them to have a better experience.
Claire
Aug 09, 2008 Claire rated it really liked it
Light read, a backpacker couple, travel to five star hotels in amongst, well backpacking... Around the world!
Goldenwattle
Sep 04, 2010 Goldenwattle rated it liked it
Like the story’s protagonists, I also took a photograph that won an international photographic competition. My prize was the return airflight from Australia to New York, three night’s accommodation in a Manhattan hotel and a dinner where I was presented with my award. But my hotel was three stars (although I was given a suite), not one of the world’s most exclusive five star hotels that the author and her husband got to stay in. I have been in the foyer of The Peninsular Hotel in Hong Kong that ...more
Jolanta Stephens
May 31, 2013 Jolanta Stephens rated it it was ok
Shelves: rockstar-reads
I was really excited to read this book and it started off interesting. I loved reading about the lavish hotels and the authors funny attempts at trying to pull off this trip on a budget. But after awhile, the writing becomes very 'samey' and each hotel seems to have the same idea of 'lavishness'. The cities begin to blur into one and whilst some are beautifully described, some are whispered over far too quickly, like a fleeting stop. The writing isn't descriptive enough that it is sometimes hard ...more
Cara
Jul 24, 2010 Cara rated it it was amazing
An Australian couple wins the trip of a lifetime - to stay in a string of 5 star hotels around the world. The only problem is that there are lots of other expenses that aren't paid for. The couple has the hilarious adventure of staying in expensive hotels but having to live like backpackers in every other respect.
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
A very interesting read. I was quite surprised by the author's constant need to fit in wherever she was, whether staying in a 5-star palace or in a 'regular' hotel. I was also a bit taken aback by her reactions and naivety sometimes, which were both unexpected in someone supposedly so well-travelled.
Jess
Feb 04, 2012 Jess rated it liked it
Loved reading about all the places and hotels, some descriptions actually helped me pick places to visit for my upcoming overseas trip. But I HATED her continual whinging in the first half of the book about how she was so embarrassed and felt out of place in the 5 star hotels. If I won an amazing trip like that I wouldn't complain about anything!
Discoverylover
Nov 16, 2015 Discoverylover rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Alkaline-kiwi
FutureCat gave me this at our meetup :D This was a great book! I really enjoyed all the descriptions of different places, and while I too wish the authors had figured out how to fit in a bit earlier, I'm glad they figured it out in time to have a good time for the rest of their amazing holiday. I'm so jealous!!
Kato
Jan 25, 2010 Kato rated it did not like it
Leuk verhaal en leuk gegeven maar beetje saai geschreven. Typisch zo'n boek van iemand die iets meemaakt en daar graag een boek over schrijft. Ik weet niet of ze ondertussen nog andere boeken geschreven heeft of niet, maar dit was alleszins haar eerste (en hopelijk blijft het daarbij).
Bijay Gurung
Bijay Gurung rated it it was ok
May 03, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2010
Hippekipcindy
Hippekipcindy rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2013
Dutchy
Dutchy rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2010
Rowena
Rowena rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2007
Meeghan
Jan 10, 2009 Meeghan rated it liked it
thirteen Luxury Hotels in 5 months ... No money

Thought it would be more juicy than it was.
Barbra
Barbra rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2014
Chris Miles
Chris Miles rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2016
Kat Hedge
Kat Hedge rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2016
Andy
Andy rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2007
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2009
Alicia Mikulandra
Alicia Mikulandra rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2014
Leah Towers
Leah Towers rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2013
Tam
Tam rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2016
Katherine
Nov 17, 2010 Katherine rated it really liked it
A fun read!
Juliet
Juliet rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Tiana Templeman is an author with Random House, freelance journalist, radio presenter and recognised industry professional.

Her travel narrative Absolutely Faking It has been reprinted numerous times and translated for overseas publication. Tiana is the creator of the popular travel blog Good to Go and contributes to numerous media outlets both in Australia and overseas. She also appears as a guest
More about Tiana Templeman...