Start by marking “Young Thurgood: The Making of a Supreme Court Justice” as Want to Read:
Young Thurgood: The Making of a Supreme Court Justice

Young Thurgood: The Making of a Supreme Court Justice

Thurgood Marshall was the most important American lawyer of the twentieth century. He transformed the nation's legal landscape by challenging the racial segregation that had relegated millions to second-class citizenship. He won twenty-nine of thirty-three cases before the United States Supreme Court, was a federal appeals court judge, served as the US solicitor general, ...more
Published December 4th 2012 by Prometheus Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Young Thurgood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Young Thurgood

Aug 09, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it
Wherein I learned I am much closer to Mark Twain than I thought. Bwa ha ha.

Good, loving book about Justice Thurgood Marshall. Good book about Baltimore. I knew, vaguely, that Marshall hailed from Baltimore, but I did not really grok what that means. Baltimore had a thriving African American intellectual and political class when Marshall was growing up. And brutal lynchings of African Americans deemed to have crossed some line all around.

Maryland was a tiny bit better than some of its close sis
Niccoya
Jun 11, 2014 Niccoya rated it liked it
I learned a lot about Thurgood Marshall in this book and appreciate the research conducted by the author. I agree with other reviews about the style of writing resembling that of a history book. I would have liked a more intimate view into Thurgood's family relationships in his adult life. It was almost as if everything post law school in the book focused on Thurgood's relationship with Charles Hamilton Houston. Nonetheless, I don't regret purchasing and reading the book.
Jean Poulos
Aug 02, 2014 Jean Poulos rated it it was amazing
University of Maryland law professor Larry S. Gibson highlights the formative years of the African-American civil rights attorney and Supreme Court Justice, Thurgood Marshall (1908-1993). Professor Gibson was the first African-American law professor at the University of Virginia in 1972. Most of the biographers of Marshall covered Marshall’s professional life. Gibson, by contrast, focused solely on the first thirty years of Thurgood life.

Gibson traces Marshall’s family background and academic pa
Anthony
Apr 03, 2016 Anthony rated it it was amazing
Biography covering detailed accounts of the formative years of Thurgood Marshall before his appointment as Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States. It covers his childhood, and family life, his education, mentors in his life, and his early years as a lawyer, and his time spent in the trenches of America's legal landscape honing his professional skills, and his advocacy for civil rights. "Isn't it nice that no one cares which twenty-three hours of the day I work?" - Thurgood ...more
Ray Lucas
Sep 26, 2014 Ray Lucas rated it it was amazing
This book really captures the evolution of Justice Marshall, giving a vivid picture of his growth and development in his early years. Being from Baltimore and a graduate from his high school, Frederick Douglass, Gibson's references to Baltimore throughout the book make me feel even more proud of Marshall's significant accomplishments. It also makes me feel at home.
Valerie
Aug 26, 2013 Valerie rated it liked it
I wasn't very impressed with the style of writing, and some of the back-and-forth listing of events got old. The parts of the book that I valued the most were those that gave me a better view of the racial history of my home state (MD) during the 1930's.
Katrinka
Jun 22, 2013 Katrinka rated it liked it
I was hoping for a more intimate story about Thurgood Marshall's early life; however, the book tells a story sometimes fascinating and sometimes too thick with names and facts to always keep my interest.
Kenneth Barber
Jan 20, 2013 Kenneth Barber rated it it was amazing
This was a good about the formative years of thurgood Marshall and the influences that shaped his career. I found it very interesting and worth the read.
Amy
Amy rated it it was ok
Jun 19, 2014
Preston Pylant
Preston Pylant rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2015
Nelly
Nelly rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2014
Asa Yoel
Apr 16, 2013 Asa Yoel rated it it was amazing
I thought that this was an excellent book.
Martina Callum
Martina Callum rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2016
Eben dennis
Eben dennis rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2013
Charlotte
Charlotte rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2015
Melanie R, Barr
Melanie R, Barr rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2015
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2013
Dan Cotter
Dan Cotter rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2013
Emely
Mar 03, 2016 Emely rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing...
Charles A. Cogswell
Charles A. Cogswell rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2014
Myssi Whitfield
Myssi Whitfield rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2013
Ashley Southall
Ashley Southall rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2014
BTD
BTD rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2015
John Windt
John Windt rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2013
Olean Public Library
Olean Public Library rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2013
Shirley
Shirley rated it liked it
May 04, 2013
George Mitchell
George Mitchell rated it liked it
May 03, 2015
Dondi West
Dondi West rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2016
Don Stevens-rayburn
Don Stevens-rayburn rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2016