Start by marking “Follow the Line through the House” as Want to Read:
Follow the Line through the House

Follow the Line through the House

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Open the front door and step inside a house exploding with patterns, colors, and Laura Ljungkvist’s signature line! Young children can follow the line through every room, discovering hidden surprises. From the kitchen with its stocked refrigerator, to the playroom brimming with toys, to the basement with its shiny toolbox, this house is filled with visual treasures. Questi ...more
Published May 17th 2007 by Viking Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Follow the Line through the House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Follow the Line through the House

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleDon't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsDr. Seuss's ABC by Dr. SeussIf You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Joffe Numeroff
Best Books to Read to 3-5 Year-Old Children
366th out of 395 books — 313 voters
I Want My Hat Back by Jon KlassenExtra Yarn by Mac BarnettThe Day the Crayons Quit by Drew DaywaltTuesday Tucks Me In by Luis Carlos MontalvánSophie's Squash by Pat Zietlow Miller
Favorite MODERN Picture Books
273rd out of 302 books — 114 voters

More lists with this book...

Dec 04, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2011
This is the third book we've read in the Follow the Line series by Laura Ljungkvist. It's a fun book that has so many interesting things to look at as well as a continuous line (somewhat similar to Harold and the Purple Crayon) that takes us throughout a home.

I thought perhaps this might be a bit too young for our girls, but they really liked it and they were eager to answer the questions that are sprinkled throughout the pages. We'd make funny sound effects as we followed the line with our fin
The Littlest Library
I first came across this book when I discovered the instagram account of Laura Ljungkvist. I was immediately drawn to her collage style of illustration and use of bold lines. The refrigerator spread is just fabulous. A treasure trove of detail with so many different items to locate and identify.

This book reminded me of William Wondriska's book "A Long Piece of String", originally published in 1963. Click here to see the earlier review.

I was very disappointed when Ljungqvist told me that this bo
Oh my gosh, I've actually found an "I Spy" type of book that I don't hate! The illustrations are darling and retro and there are about 4-5 questions on each page (Count the pickles in the jar; How many striped shirts do you see, etc.) Simple enough for my 3 year old, but yet challenging enough for my 6-year old to read the questions and find things on his own.
Mary Train
This is a great interactive book to read with children. The illustrations are fabulous and the text challenges the reader to get involved in the illustration as well. I love this book...fresh, interesting, and a big hit with kids. I just realized that Laura has two other books written in this concept...gotta find them for the classroom.
I love this book. My son and I can spend a lot of time looking at the illustrations and finding different objects. From an educational perspective, following a line as it moves (with your finger or your eyes) really helps improve focus... maybe a good activity to try one-on-one with a student or two!
Sarah Adamson
Another fun follow the line book, this time through the house. It goes through a fairly traditional house that has a basement and attic. Would have been nice to see it go through a kids bedroom in addition to the master bedroom and playroom. Fun and clever illustrations. Prefer the going round the world book but this is probably pretty good for younger kids.
Although this book is really simple and doesn't have too much of a plot line, there is a lot that you can talk about regarding it (frame, etc). It is also very interactive.
Fascinating artwork. Great concept for children: draw a picture without ever picking up your pen/pencil/crayon.
Book Description: Open the front door and step inside a house full of surprises. Travel through each room of the house to discover hidden secrets in each room.

Story: Simple story but very fun to read with little ones and find the different objects that are hidden, but easily found, in each room of the house. My daughter and I both enjoyed this very interactive book together. Great read aloud book.

Illustrations: The illustrations in this book are fabulous. They are very creative, engaging, and wo

Author website:

Teaching Ideas:
Counting, pre-math skills, identifying colors, matching items, etc.
Not for preschool storytime, that's for sure. But what a fun book for a lap-read or read-alone. It's amazing to see how much is assisting in the picture from just one, continuous line. And the various questions asked are perfect for the 2-5 year old range. Plenty to keep them busy looking as well as asking them for their own opinions. And when you finish you learn there is more that can be looked for if you go back through.
I like that it's trying to get you to look at and question the details even when your supposed task is more direct (like a traditional narrative)--follow the line through the house. Some great simple questions to get readers looking and thinking. The lines and objects are a bit overwhelming/chaotic at times, though.
She didn't seem super impressed the first time, so I was surprised when my niece snuck out of her room at naptime to ask for this book specifically. I guess she just didn't want to follow the line all the way around the page, but she did like the book.
Cat Fithian
Delightful color palette, great illustrations, multi-layered sharing options. Book will be best shared with one child at a time because of the detail of the pictures. I mean, who would NOT want to follow the line with their finger?
You follow the line through various rooms in the house and then go into a more detailed part of that room (e.g.; into the kitchen, and then a closer look into the refrigerator).

I give it a 3.5.
I do not get these books, but Declan (age6) loves them. He loves to trace his finger over the lines, through the hard pages and the easy pages. It's like a puzzle, I guess. (I don't do puzzles, either)
Cool picture book! It was fun to have the kids trace the line with their finger and see how the illustrator made the line form dozens of pictures as it went through the house. Very creative.
My four-year-old daughter begs me to read this book repeatedly. She loves following the line through the house and searches diligently for the items that are out of place.
rhyming text invites reader to different rooms of the house to find hidden objects. there is a lot going on with every page. almost too much.
Can you follow the line through the house and answer the questions? This book is great for teaching children to look for detail.
Another enjoyable "Follow the Line" book. I need to find out if there are more of these. The kids requested!
Fun book for elementary-school-aged children. No text, just following the line. Great illustrations.
One drawn line links this rhyming story and leads to hidden objects in each room of the house.
A fun book that could last for a long time as you explore more and more on the pages.
Suzi Sherman
Wonderful art, great interactive book. Teachers-A must have for your reading center.
Apr 12, 2008 Toni rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Ages 2-5
Cute book for kids to look at together and "race" to find things in the house.
This is a great series. We got this one for Maebel's birthday.
A great quiet time book. Seems best for kids ages 3 or 4 and up.
"I Spy" meets "Harold's Purple Crayon". My minis LOVED it!!
Dec 30, 2010 Rebecca marked it as to-read
Shelves: picture-books
Visual skills without exactly being a seek-and-find?
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • All in a Day
  • Look! A Book!
  • Yellow Umbrella
  • The Pencil
  • When Will It Be Spring?
  • Every Friday