Start by marking “Missed Periods and Other Grammar Scares: How to Avoid Unplanned and Unwanted Grammar Errors” as Want to Read:

Grammar has finally let its hair down! Unlike uptight grammar books that overwhelm us with every single grammar rule, Missed Periods and Other Grammar Scares is like a bikini: it's fun, flirty, and covers only the most important bits. Its lessons, which are 100 percent free of complicated grammar jargon, have been carefully selected to include today's most common, noticeab ...more
Published September 1st 2012 by Skyhorse Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Missed Periods and Other Grammar Scares, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Missed Periods and Other Grammar Scares

Goodnight, and Thanks for the Vodka [2002] by HarpieWood, Talc and Mr. J by Chris   RoseThe Syrian Virgin by Zack LoveProject Butterfly by K.A. AnglissAnissa's Redemption by Zack Love
What Should I Read?
297th out of 311 books — 92 voters
The Girl with Ghost Eyes by M.H. BorosonThe Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark HaddonOffbeat Love Stories and More by Jennifer K. LaffertyEvery Soul a Star by Wendy MassMiss Marple by Agatha Christie
Silhouetted Covers
22nd out of 117 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Joseph
Jun 26, 2013 Joseph rated it really liked it
Missed Periods and Other Grammar Scares: How to Avoid Unplanned and Unwanted Writing Errors by Jenny Baranick. She is an English professor teaching composition, critical thinking, and remedial English.

Long ago, I remember sitting in an English Literature class and asking, “Why do I have to do that? It makes no sense to me.” The professor (the only one to give me a “C” on my college transcripts) said “When you finish graduate school you can use semicolons how ever you want.” Several years later,
Anne
Jun 26, 2014 Anne rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
Missed Periods is a fine read if you need a crash course in Grammar 101. If you're looking for something more advanced, though - this isn't it. Commas, arguably the most complex punctuation mark, are covered in sixteen (small) pages. As a for-instance of key information missing that I'd have liked to have seen covered: while she talks about placing a comma after an introductory clause (If we're going clubbing, I need to bring my ID.) she makes no mention of the fact that the clause would not be ...more
Heather
Aug 31, 2016 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: how-to, non-fiction
It was well executed for what it was: an entertaining grammar book — in vein of "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves". But despite it being clever, witty, and chock full of practical punctuation rules, I wouldn't re-read it or recommend it to my teenager. The humor was too risqué for my tastes — relying on the crass, low-brow sexuality that I try not to read about in tabloid headlines at the grocery store check-out. I realize that true love and fidelity may not offer as much comedic scope, but by the ...more
Virag
Sep 11, 2012 Virag rated it it was amazing
Very, very funny grammar book. For example, in chapter 8 Jenny writes about en dashes, em dashes, and hyphens. The chapter's title? "Goldilocks and the Three Bars". Playboy could have her write a column on grammar. Or do they already? Highly recommend it.
Beverly Diehl
Jun 16, 2013 Beverly Diehl rated it it was amazing
Most people would rank reading a book on grammar right up there with getting a root canal or a colonoscopy. Might be necessary, but we probably wouldn't do it for the pleasure.

Using celebrities like Johnny Depp, celebrity break-ups like Brad and Jennifer, and sexy examples, Baranick presents grammar in a hilarious way that just may help it stick in our over-caffeinated, YouTubed, smartphoned, chasing-the-next-shiny-thing brains.

She makes the point that if we use "whorable spelling," our meaning
Laurie Ann
Mar 03, 2014 Laurie Ann rated it liked it
As someone who LOVES grammar, I took exception to Ms. Baranick's comparing it to oatmeal (see introduction). However, I was reviewing this for my office, so I read on.

Overall, this book is a great guide for the casual writer. It covers all the punctuation rules that generally trip one up, as well as some capitalization and, very briefly, pronoun use. What isn't covered are things like subject-verb agreement and adjective/adverb usage. Those are important, too, as evidenced by the number of bad
AsatorPrime
Apr 09, 2013 AsatorPrime rated it really liked it
I have always struggled with English. The subject has never been able to hold my attention the way maths and science can; so I was quite presently surprised to find this book so captivating.

It's charming, funny and dumbs gramma right down; allowing simpletons like me to have plenty of "Ah-Ha! that's what they're for" moments. The only down side was the amount of Hollywood/TV/celebrity related humour: I didn't get most of it. But then again I'm not American, I know next to nothing about celebrit
Allan Walsh
Feb 07, 2016 Allan Walsh rated it liked it
Missed Periods and Other Grammar Scares is a simple guide to some of the most common grammar rules.

The Bad Stuff: This book is written for a female audience, while this wasn't a problem for me, it may turn some guys off. My advice, if you are a guy struggling with grammar - do not turn away from it because of the cover and title. While the book covers the most common grammar errors, it would have been good if it dealt with a few others.

The Good Stuff: It is well written, humorous, is in plain la
Talk Supe
Jun 03, 2012 Talk Supe rated it it was amazing
I'm a blogger and English is my second language which is the reason why I requested for this book. I want to make sure that I'm armed well and that my spelling and grammar is passable since I've opened my personal opinion for public consumption. I'd rather have my readers disagree with my thoughts than have them poke fun at me for my sentence construction, et. al.

I love how Jenny Baranick simplified things and her analogies and examples are really funny, it made reading the manual easier because
Tatjana Dzambazova
I know i am a language nerd and saying that i love grammar books will make many of my friends say 'get a life!'
This book continues in the spirit of Lynn Truss's book 'eats shoots and leaves', but jenny baramick compares grammar rules with all things relationships, human weaknesses etc. quite fun even if some chapters are grammar 101. I must admit, i realized that i used commas in most random ways! After reading the comma chapter, i stopped putting commas anywhere from fear of overdoing it.. Even
Jennifer Worrell
Apr 05, 2016 Jennifer Worrell rated it it was ok
Shelves: craft
Here's the thing: I'm not the target audience for this book. This is really all about the most common, most annoying, and most elementary grammar issues that this college professor comes across. It's really a great book for those just starting out, namely, yutes.

However, the constant comparisons to celebrities and pop culture references are exhausting. Not only that, the book is immediately dated. And I seriously worry about Baranick's obsession with Johnny Depp.

So I can't really judge this bo
Shonna Froebel
Jun 04, 2013 Shonna Froebel rated it liked it
OK, I admit it, I chose this book for the title. I've always been a big grammar fan and took a couple of editing courses a few years back too. The author teaches English and critical thinking classes and has a grammar blog by the same name as this book. With humour, pop culture references, and a flirty style, Baranick illustrates common grammar errors and gives tricks for avoiding them. Every chapter has an exercise or set of exercises to test the reader's learning for that section. A fun book ...more
Elena
Mar 21, 2013 Elena rated it it was amazing
For a person whose mother tongue isn't English this book is not only funny but clear and concise. Grammar in any language tends to be boring, but not this time. From commas, apostrophes, capitalization and words that sound the same but are spelled differently to email etiquette, Ms.Baranick managed to clarify what no other teacher or book was able to and made it fun. I will certainly keep this book by my side every time I write in English.
Sheala Henke
Jul 22, 2015 Sheala Henke rated it really liked it
Okay so I got roped into this book when I heard an interview with the author on Brad Reed's Inside Creative Writing podcast and I will say that it was truly a Good-Read! Kitschy, humorous and the author so appropriately applied her understanding of the double entendre for the female persuasion who might be as grammatically challenged as me. So many LOL moments and I certainly came away with some new found knowledge and great fodder for conversation in my writing critique group!
Jen
Mar 08, 2016 Jen rated it really liked it
I didn't like this at first because of a blatant error Baranick (or editor) made with the past tense of the verb "lie," but I ultimately ended up enjoying the book. It was rife with slightly inappropriate puns and plays on words, and--honestly--I laughed out loud on several occasions. A good, easy, quick read. And you might learn some things about grammar and punctuation.
Theresa Milstein
Oct 15, 2013 Theresa Milstein rated it it was amazing
This was such a fun read. It's not too often that a grammar book comes around that's both fun and actually informative. Baranick has clever ways of making those lessons stick. I'm recommending this book to anyone who wants to brush up on those skills they either forgot or never quite got in the first place.
Noelle Kain
I tried reading this a while back, so this review will be short. I liked it a lot at first. The voice was amusing and entertaining, but after about twenty pages, the voice started to feel juvenile and frankly, grating. I stopped reading at the point, because it annoyed me so much.
Deborah Morgan
Jul 18, 2012 Deborah Morgan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction-adult
This book is hilarious. I got it thinking I might could use it in my middle school English class, but NOT. It is just for adults. If you have trouble with grammar, as an adult, this book is for you!
Frank
Mar 01, 2013 Frank rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
Fun and genuinely funny grammar book (I really want to call it sassy, but I'll refrain) that also, and this is big, is pretty effective at breaking down rules. This will now be my go-to recommended guide.
Angelya (Tea in the Treetops)
A very light-hearted look at grammar, with plenty of hilarious examples. It's mostly aimed at the fashion- and celebrity-conscious female crowd, but I'm sure everyone would find the advice here helpful.
Pam Giffin-brees
Jan 28, 2013 Pam Giffin-brees rated it it was amazing
fantastic...if you are looking for a book to give a graduate on their way to college...here is the one. Funny style about writing mistakes! She is a college professor, so she knows whereof she speaks!
Karen
Nov 23, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
Did what it needed to do. Give me a refresher course on grammar. Humor may have eclipsed valuable content, but I'm fine with that trade-off. Fun read that made me smarter. I'll take that any day.
Tayen
Apr 06, 2013 Tayen rated it really liked it
I was sent this book by Goodreads and I found it to be a creative, fun way of exploring the wonderful world of Grammar. This book would be a good addition to any bookshelf.
Darcy Cearley
Darcy Cearley rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2015
Trisha
Trisha rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2015
Sharon
Sharon rated it it was ok
May 16, 2013
Jemailyn
Jemailyn rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2016
Jennifer rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2013
Rachel Jones
Rachel Jones rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2015
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Word Up! How to Write Powerful Sentences and Paragraphs (And Everything You Build from Them)
  • The Editor's Eye: A Practical Guide to Transforming Your Book from Good to Great
  • Finding the Core of Your Story
  • The Fiction Writer's Handbook
  • How to Write Faster Than Anyone Better, and Better Than Anyone Faster
  • Kicking In the Wall: A Year of Writing Exercises, Prompts, and Quotes to Help You Break Through Your Blocks and Reach Your Writing Goals
  • Shake, Stir, Pour: Fresh Homegrown Cocktails from Garden to Bar-Cucumber Gimlets, Cardamom Coolers, and More-How to Make Your Own Infused Liquors, Spirits, Bitters, and Other Drinks with Farm-Fresh Ingredients, Plus 50 Original Cocktail Recipes
  • The Writer's Tune-up Manual: 35 Exercises That Will Scrape the Rust Off Your Writing
  • The Art of Character: Creating Memorable Characters for Fiction, Film, and TV
  • Polish Your Fiction: A Quick & Easy Self-Editing Guide
  • Around the Writer's Block: Using Brain Science to Solve Writer's Resistance
  • Story Structure: The Key to Successful Fiction (Red Sneaker Writers Series #1)
  • Darwin: A Graphic Biography
  • The Mythic Guide to Characters: Writing Characters Who Enchant and Inspire
  • The Lexicographer's Dilemma: The Evolution of "Proper" English, from Shakespeare to South Park
  • The Elements of Editing