Start by marking “Milosz's ABC's” as Want to Read:
Milosz's ABC's

Milosz's ABC's

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  154 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Memories, dreams and reflections from the Nobel Laureate

The ABC book is a polish genre-a loose form related to a hypertext novel-composed of short, alphabetically arranged entries. In Milosz's conception, the ABC book becomes a sort of autobiographical reference book, combining entries concerning characters from his earlier work with references to some of his memory poem
Published January 9th 2002 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Milosz's ABC's, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Milosz's ABC's

Eric
"He didn't die in the war, though. He served in the air force and came home as a highly qualified electrician."

"In Beauvoir, everything was adoption of the next intellectual fashion. A nasty hag."

"The story of this couple would make a moving film script, which no one will write."

The first thing I liked about this book was Milosz's tart and abrupt summations of the lives he mentions.

Full of émigré themes, émigré melancholies: a roll-call of friends, colleagues and acquaintances who disappeared in
Jim
As one approaches one's own end, I would imagine that the thought of people and places and things that once were and are no more becomes an obsession. Nobel Prize winner Czeslaw Milosz exorcises these thoughts by having recourse to a Polish genre: an encyclopedic survey of the elements of a life, with short entries, many ending with the sad thought that the author is not sure when, or where, or how a once close friend met his or her end in the charnel house that was Eastern Europe in the thirtie ...more
Angelo Ricci
Esiste da sempre una interessantissima produzione editoriale che riguarda i libri che parlano di altri libri, di altri autori, di altre narrazioni.
Abbecedario, di Czeslaw Milosz appartiene proprio a questo tipo di produzione letteraria e nel suo più alto intendere. Premio Nobel per la letteratura nel 1980, Milosz racconta in sostanza la sua vita, le sue esperienze, i suoi incontri e lo fa suddividendo la narrazione in lemmi, proprio come un abbecedario.
La lettura di Abbecedario ci accompagna att
Beverly
Another take on the Abecedaire style, this time in essay form (see Dictionary of the Khazars - possibly my favorite book ever). It's easy to get lost in this sometimes, as I have absolutely no knowledge of 20th century Polish Intellectualism. The language is gorgeous (three cheers to the translator!), however, and I often find myself rereading passages to savor the words again.

A slow read.
Megan
I loved his writing, but my enjoyment of this book was limited by a lack of knowledge and appreciation of Polish culture and history. Not that that should stop anyone from reading his work, because the book was still witty, insightful, and thoughtful. And a nice shape, also.
Caroline
"It is therefore moral - at a structural level." - from Roger Ebert's review of the Gaspar Noe movie 'Irreversible,' which tells its unbelievably violent story backwards. Milosz's version is to tell a messy life alphabetically, not chronologically.

Peter
This is a great companion to Roadside Dogs. He looks back into his life and ponders the truth of what happened how it could have been. It's a profound book, deals with the personal side of the WW wars and Communism, the 60's etc...
Sophie
Aug 31, 2007 Sophie is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fellow slavophiles :-)
Only half-reading this, so I hesitate to put it on here. An interesting format -- but the contents of each entry are not so interesting so far...were the reviews on the cover misleading? I can't tell.
Alex
I recommend reading through parts of this book several times--Milosz's entries are deep and compelling.
Kate
Feb 17, 2009 Kate marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shelved
what a lovely (and temporary) little remedy for my clumsy knowledge of things
Milica
Milica marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Dragan
Dragan marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Mohsenfahmy Moussa
Mohsenfahmy Moussa marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Frahorus
Frahorus marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
L3winng
L3winng marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
peter
peter marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
enotracoon
enotracoon marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Irene
Irene marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Biljana Skataric
Biljana Skataric marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Kim Flewelling
Kim Flewelling marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
respirateur
respirateur marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • A Dreambook for Our Time (Writers from the Other Europe)
  • The Collected Poems, 1956-1998
  • Astonishments: Selected Poems
  • Theory & Practice of Gamesmanship
  • Autoportret reportera
  • The Unswept Room
  • How to Good-Bye Depression: If You Constrict Anus 100 Times Everyday. Malarkey? or Effective Way?
  • Mad Travellers: Reflections on the Reality of Transient Mental Illnesses
  • The Self and its Brain
  • The Redress of Poetry
  • Far from the Madding Gerund: And Other Dispatches from Language Log
  • The Black Poets
Czesław Miłosz memorialised his Lithuanian childhood in a 1955 novel, The Issa Valley , and in the 1959 memoir Native Realm . After graduating from Sigismund Augustus Gymnasium in Vilnius, he studied law at Stefan Batory University and in 1931 he travelled to Paris, where he was influenced by his distant cousin Oscar Milosz, a French poet of Lithuanian descent and a Swedenborgian. His first volu ...more
More about Czesław Miłosz...
A Book of Luminous Things: An International Anthology of Poetry New and Collected Poems: 1931-2001 The Captive Mind The Issa Valley Second Space: New Poems