Start by marking “Selected Poems: 1931-2004” as Want to Read:

Selected Poems: 1931-2004

celebrates Czeslaw Milosz's lifetime of poetry. Widely regarded as one of the greatest poets of our time, Milosz is a master of expression and probing inquiry. Life opened for Czeslaw Milosz at a crossroads of civilizations in northeastern Europe. This was less a melting pot than a torrent of languages and ideas, where old folk traditions met Catho
Published April 4th 2006 by Ecco (first published December 1st 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Selected Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Poems

Dhanaraj Rajan
FOUR AND HALF STARS...

I would have added another half star had I known better some of the Polish settings and authors that Milosz mentioned in the poems.

A Difficulty:

I always have trouble writing review for poetry collections. I am more happy to give a poem or two as an example and thus end my review. With this collection too, I will follow the same technique only with a slight variation. That is, taking the creative liberty to my advantage I will resurrect Milosz and I will try to have a lively
Melanie
Aug 20, 2013 Melanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
In 'Ars Poetica?' Milosz eloquently states 'The purpose of poetry is to remind us how difficult it is to remain just one person, for our house is open, there are no keys in the doors, and invisible guests come in and out at will'. I think his poetry does more than see us compromised by these exchanges.

His confessions are whimsical, he celebrates his 'my-ness', and his heart that 'holds more than speech does'.

Like the best poets he raises more questions than answers, and in doing so reveals all
ジェイムズ・n. パウエル
from "The World"

The Sun

All colors come from the sun. And it does not have
Any particular color, for it contains them all.
And the whole Earth is like a poem
While the sun above represents the artist.

Whoever wants to pain the variegated world
Let him never look straight up at the sun
Or he will lose the memory of things he has seen.
Only burning tears will stay in his eyes.

Let him kneel down, lower his face to the grass,
And look at light reflected by the ground.
There he will find everything we have los
Dyani
Jul 12, 2007 Dyani rated it it was amazing
Making my way through this book has been joyful. I have loved discovering how Milosz evolved over the course of his career and how he adapted within his work to living in California. He has a wonderful sense of humor as well as the ability to illustrate pain such that we feel along with him but are not swallowed by despair. I write down quotes from 80% of the poems as I read them.
James
May 28, 2016 James rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, mitteleuropa
His poetry runs the gamut of feeling and thought, of nature and man, of beauty and the truth of poetry. The author of The Captive Mind, a great statement about the effects of totalitarianism, Czeslaw Milosz is even better when his daimon inspires him to write poetry. This selection covers his work over more than seven decades beginning with his early days in Poland, underground during the War, and beyond into his time in America. His survival, overcoming the ordeal of war and suppression gives h ...more
Samuel Snoek-Brown
Outstanding. Not every poem is perfect, but every poem is beautiful, and some are so moving they floored me, made me hiss an inhalation and hold my breath just to contain the reflection, the emotion, the impact. Milosz is amazing.
Dawn
Sep 15, 2010 Dawn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love is sand swallowed by parched lips. (Hymn, p. 35)

So I thought of you today and decided to write about Czeslaw Milosz. I thought of suffering, of pains in the gait, things of that nature. Then I thought of you working and suffering, working and suffering a little helplessly, feeling yourself watching yourself through the wide window beside your desk.

... children in half-sleep run their hands across the wall
and draw lands with a finger wet with saliva... (Hymn, p. 36)

I thought of historical tr
Kenneth
Jun 05, 2015 Kenneth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've read at least one work by every Nobel Literature Laureate, and, with the exception of St. John Perse, I can think of no poet less deserving of that award than Milosz. This is less a review than it is a warning beacon attempting to dissuade you from crashing on the rocks.
James Klagge
Jan 30, 2011 James Klagge rated it really liked it
From a poem "On Angels":
I have heard that voice many a time when asleep
and, what is strange, I understood more or less
an order or an appeal in an unearthly tongue:
day draws near
another one
do what you can.

Another poem "Gift":
A day so happy.
Fog lifted early, I worked in the garden.
Hummingbirds were stopping over honeysuckle flowers.
There was no thing on earth I wanted to possess.
I knew no one worth my envying him.
Whatever evil I had suffered, I forgot.
To think that once I was the sam
Hueyyun
Favourite new poet; enjoyed his "To Raja Rao" and his themes on exile and God.

Read his interview after your read the poems: http://www.theparisreview.org/intervi...
Merinde
Feb 15, 2014 Merinde rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I just love Miłosz a lot. Poetry doesn't have to make you feel better to be good, but his poems do make me feel better and they also happen to be very good.
metaphor
Dec 13, 2015 metaphor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We learned so much, this you know well :
how, gradually, what could not be taken away
is taken. People, countrysides.
And the heart does not die when one thinks it should,
we smile, there is tea and bread on the table.
Ryan Williams
Jan 04, 2016 Ryan Williams rated it liked it
Rather repetitive: you can only watch someone piss and moan so many times about a God they can't fully believe in yet can't stop using as a stick to beat others with. Surprised 'Return to Krakow in 1880' didn't make the cut.
Carly
Nov 10, 2014 Carly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, fiction
I struggle so much with poetry, as a general rule. When reading poetry doesn't feel like a chore, that's how I know I've found a poet that I connect with (hello, Dickinson!). I am a long-form kind of person - essay, narrative, novel, non-fiction works. Poetry and I, for whatever inexplicable reason, have just never jibed completely. Not in writing nor reading. This says much about me and my own limitations, and nothing about the quality of poetry that exists in the world.

However, I can appreciat
George Deoso
Few years from now I will pick this book up again and hopefully understand what those beautiful lines really mean.
Roger DeBlanck
Jan 27, 2012 Roger DeBlanck rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
The poetry of Czeslaw Milosz makes intense inquires into the peril and suffering of the human condition. He confesses his dilemma towards the cruel reality that, as a poet, he must find his subject matter in the horrors of the world. But his duty as a poet is also to use his verse to confront atrocities in order to give voice to the oppressed and vanquished. Born in Lithuania but of Polish descent, Milosz was professor of Slavic languages and literature at UC Berkeley for nearly forty years befo ...more
James
Jan 26, 2014 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
from "The World"

The Sun

All colors come from the sun. And it does not have
Any particular color, for it contains them all.
And the whole Earth is like a poem
While the sun above represents the artist.

Whoever wants to paint the variegated world
Let him never look straight up at the sun
Or he will lose the memory of things he has seen.
Only burning tears will stay in his eyes.

Let him kneel down, lower his face to the grass,
And look at light reflected by the ground.
There he will find everything we have lo
J.
Oct 17, 2012 J. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As is almost always the case, I liked the early, more frantic work better than the later, more poised work. He becomes more and more pious in his works as he gets older so that by the end of "Last Poems," he's praising and praising endlessly-- the critical or questioning voice gone entirely from his exploration of religion. That's a turn off for me. Still, the first 50 pages or so hum with power. Those first 100 pages are what poetry is all about: powerful, concrete images as metaphor, and a pro ...more
Nikki
Jul 03, 2008 Nikki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Milosz lived in Poland during the Holocaust/WWII and a lot of his writing is from the perspective of a non-Jew reflecting on this depressing experience. His poetry is pretty and simple - I prefer the stuff he wrote later in life. Overall, it's not full of superfluous description and metaphor - I like that. This collection covers his writing from 1932-2003 (dude died in 2004). I read this in four days. Don't do that. They're talking about a bunch of abandoned piglets that are now at the Humane So ...more
Lawrence
Dec 20, 2009 Lawrence rated it it was amazing
I am not sure that I have ever read poetry of such authority and sincerity, without cant or artifice. I am very happy that I have not passed through life without reading it. I did not understand every word, but what I did comprehend was enough for a first reading: the profound concern for the particular, the recognition that each thing and person is one-of-a-kind and irreplaceable, the indifference to generalities, the nostalgia. I will read all these poems again. I appreciate Mr. Haas' putting ...more
ダンカン
This is probably the first time I could not finish a book. Czeslaw Milosz's Selected and Last Poems 1931 - 2004, for me, it was difficult to appreciate. Maybe its the language. Maybe its the translation. I had trouble grasping its meaning. Do not get me wrong, there are some passages I do enjoy but most of it I was pretty lost. I will get back to reading it again, when I am ready. I will change my rating as well if my understanding has increase. Until then, I am not ready yet.
Michael
Feb 14, 2016 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m very glad I read these poems. Milosz’s skill, his thoughtfulness, his life at the crossroads of some of our world’s most important moments all reveal astonishing realities of life and thought and soul. His struggles with faith are honest and ring true. He is not facile, but he is engaging. I loved these poems.
Lizzie
I was pretty into this volume in high school, which I think is now out of print in favor of selections that cover the remainder of his life. (I had this around 1998 or so.) I remember particular favorites were "Conversation with Jeanne" and "A Poem for the End of the Century".
E.S. Wynn
Feb 22, 2010 E.S. Wynn rated it really liked it
I like Milosz-- his poetry is very beautiful and well crafted, fascinating and full of wisdom that only comes with the kind of life that the man lived, but I had a hard time with the consistent love affair he seems to have with oblivion after death.
Michelle
I'm in love with him and these poems that celebrate life now. Poems that condemn ignorance and help us to see the beauty of life as it is and not as we would pretend it.
Jeremy
Feb 15, 2011 Jeremy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Of course I don't have this edition but the Collected Poems. Have enjoyed the later poems much more than the earlier and middle ones.
Rebecca
Jul 01, 2011 Rebecca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I'm not very proficient in poetry but I enjoyed reading these. I plan to come back and read them again from time to time.
Thomas
Apr 06, 2008 Thomas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Thomas by: Gosia W.
Hands down my favorite Lithuanian poet. (Are there any others?)
Peter
I will show you a lifetime's work in a handful of stars.
Cami
Jul 25, 2009 Cami rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
I appreciate his practical way of writing.
  • Miracle Fair: Selected Poems
  • The Selected Poems
  • The Complete Posthumous Poetry
  • Collected Poems
  • A Little Larger Than the Entire Universe: Selected Poems
Czesław Miłosz memorialised his Lithuanian childhood in a 1955 novel, The Issa Valley , and in the 1959 memoir Native Realm . After graduating from Sigismund Augustus Gymnasium in Vilnius, he studied law at Stefan Batory University and in 1931 he travelled to Paris, where he was influenced by his distant cousin Oscar Milosz, a French poet of Lithuanian descent and a Swedenborgian. His first volu ...more
More about Czesław Miłosz...

“Yet falling in love is not the same as being able to love.” 93 likes
“Human reason is beautiful and invincible.
No bars, no barbed wire, no pulping of books,
No sentence of banishment can prevail against it.
It puts what should be above things as they are.
It does not know Jew from Greek nor slave from master.”
11 likes