Start by marking “Nemesis” as Want to Read:
Nemesis

Nemesis

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  257 ratings  ·  20 reviews
THE CODE BURIED IN A CENTURIES-OLD MANUSCRIPT…
From a remote Scottish mountain, Dr. Oliver Webb--one of the world's great physicists--is whisked away by a military helicopter and routed to the Mexican border. Along with the leading men of physics and one sexy atom smasher, Webb is given an impossible task: identify the asteroid--codename Nemesis--that is on course to collid
Published August 29th 2006 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Nemesis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nemesis

Ian
Aug 01, 2011 Ian added it
Okay, so Bill Napier knows loads about Physics. Unfortunately, I don't - and having read this book, I'm none the wiser. A shame, because the premise for the story is okay - asteroid apparently having been deflected by the Russians to hit America, and a group of scientists being given the task to find it in time. But the writing style is appalling, every now and then he switches to present tense for no apparent reason, and the overly specific use of scientific and technical terms went straight ov ...more
Ashish Jaituni
The most exciting novel I have read! Lots of scientific details for a change and quite accurate too! A thriller which includes some fictional history, lots of science, politics and a conspiracy. A very good plot and well written! I loved reading the book.
Tommy
This is a new author for me. I found it hard to get into this book and I thought the author used to much technical jargon for my taste. Even though there was a twist at the end, I don't think I will read any more books by this author.
Kristin Lundgren
I might have read this book a number of years ago,since I was able to predict certain scenes, although maybe I just read too many thrillers? Anyway, this one was a good one, marred, to me, only by the extremely technical astronomical calculations inserted into the book. I under stand that's the writer's field, and that it gives a ring of authenticity, but since often at times, non-astronomers were in the audience for the discussion, I think it could have been dumbed down with less calculations a ...more
Michelle
Immediately I could tell this wasn't my type if book. Too much technical jargon but in a way that was a little condescending if that makes any sense.

Maybe I should've given the book more of a chance but life's too short for mediocre books.
Ed
I was really looking forward to reading this novel after reading Arthur C. Clark's comment, "The most exciting book I have ever read." Not for me. Early in the book the science behind astronomy and asteroids bogged down the flow. Even for someone quite educated like myself, the terminology and science was advanced. But the last half of the book, moved along quickly and it was at this point i found myself really enjoying the story. But about half way through I almost put it down for good. I'm gla ...more
This book revolves around Dr. Oliver Webb, a British physicist who is roped in to try and find an asteroid which is on a collision course with Earth.

Particularly at the start of the book there is a lot of techno-babble, presumably written in to show how clever the author is. For those who have little grounding in astronomy, it is boring and detracts from the story. Despite this, I enjoyed the start of the book but as the plot got sillier, I started to enjoy it less and less.
Katina stewart
Dec 20, 2007 Katina stewart rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like thrillers
I thought the story was interesting but being a person not into science, it was hard for me to follow much of the technical writing--though I have to say he's pretty good about trying to explain to a lay person.
In the end, I have to say that I enjoyed the book more than I thought I would (after reading the 1st chapter), but it did take me twice as long to read it, as it normally would to read a book of this size.
Cathy (cathepsut)
Snore, don't bother! Imagine Tom Clancy having one of those reaaaally long explanations of something in another one of those military conspiracy things, add a little Armageddon to it and a small helping of Angels and Demons. And you get a fairly boring read with a very improbable and silly plot twist at the end, that makes you go "Huh?". Sorry, put me to sleep several times...
Kelly Truelove
Jan 06, 2013 Kelly Truelove rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone loving intelligent thrillers, fans of dan Brown
Shelves: favorites
I absolutely adored this book. I read this one every chance I got until it was finished, and immediately went looking to the author's other works hoping to find more like it. I love an intelligent thriller, especially one with a tight story line and interesting characters. This is definitely one that I'm talking about years later. I can't recommend it highly enough.
Amanda
I didn't put this book down, was very reluctant every time I had to and would fall asleep reading because I just couldn't stop.
The beginning is very confusing until you get used to the perspective jumping around after that the only confusion is through not understanding the scientific and astrological jargon but it doesn't dampen the suspense at all.
Glen
Found the book enjoyable, A little technical at times but when you are dealing with an Author who is first an Astronomer, Scientist and lecturer in this field and even has in real life an Asteriod named after him you can progress to the end. I like this type of book as it makes me want to know more about this great subject.. GC
Kat
if you like astro-physics and/or math this is the book for you. I generally don't consider anything w/ complex formulas (no matter how made up) "light" reading material. I gave up about 1/3 of the way through the book and I always try to finish books to the end, no matter how awful I think they are.
Sam
I kind of liked this book, the subject wasn't my favourite but the storyline was well written and overall quite enjoyable. The characters were believable and the story had enough twists to keep you guessing. Worth a read although the ending was a bit of a let down for me
Jody
Jun 10, 2015 Jody rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: owned
Kinda a slow start and very technical in the beginning. I got a little lost in all the scientific talk BUT I am glad I stuck it out. Really enjoyed the latter part of the book and how things wrapped up.
James Marinero
Entertaining, but then I was a physicist. Informative too, but a few plot weaknesses detracted from my overall enjoyment. I'd certainly read more of his work.3+
Venkat
Dr Napier is a British Astronomer and writes very authentic books. Nemesis is a great read, though he beats up the Americans quite a bit in this book
Xerxes Anaximander Phoenixlight
I'm disappointed. Thought it was a The Da Vinci-ish kind of book. Curse to the book review!
John
Not as enjyable as The Lure, but a very good book all the same.
Terje
Terje marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Sem
Sem marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
mike wakefield
mike wakefield marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Fernando
Fernando marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
claraoswald10
claraoswald10 marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Gary Sneed
Gary Sneed marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2015
  • Undercover Sex Signals: A Guide For Guys
  • Fox on the Rhine
  • On the Fifth Day
  • Resistance
  • Bermuda Triangle (Atlantis, #2)
  • A World of Difference
  • Sky Masters (Patrick McLanahan, #3)
  • Arc Light
  • Dark Room (Pete 'Monty' Montgomery, #2)
  • Fire Warrior