Start by marking “Living the Cross Centered Life: Keeping the Gospel the Main Thing” as Want to Read:
Living the Cross Centered Life: Keeping the Gospel the Main Thing

Living the Cross Centered Life: Keeping the Gospel the Main Thing

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  2,355 ratings  ·  99 reviews
What Really Matters
Have the extremities taken over and left the core of your faith forgotten? Do you get confused by what you feel versus what is real? Let dynamic pastor C. J. Mahaney strip away the nonessentials and bring you back to the simplest, most fundamental reason for your faith: Jesus Christ. This book is packed with powerful truth that will grip your heart, cle
Published January 19th 2006 by Multnomah (first published February 17th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Living the Cross Centered Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living the Cross Centered Life

Cliff Downey
This book brings to light the importance of the Gospel. The Gospel must be the central focus that drives everything we do. MUST READ!
Gordon
Feb 14, 2008 Gordon added it
I haven't been a fan of gospel tracts for years. I remember the old Chick Tracts that were little cartoon presentations of the "gospel" but they were more offensive than helpful to my memory. I'll never forget one that was against Christian rock music. The band was called "Green Hell" or something like that and in the end we found out that their manager was Satan. One of the band members turned out to be gay and their manager gave them AIDS as a wedding gift. The "gospel" was clear in that track ...more
Jeanie
If I could give this more stars, I would! It is that good. It will pierce your heart and you will see much more of the cross than ever before. It is about the gospel it is about the cross. In Chapter 1, Mahaney clearly tells you what moves you away from the cross. Subjectivism, which is we base truth on our feelings instead of the word of God. Legalism which i when our obedience and service is not centered to the cross, we can become legalistic. Mahaney was very helpful in this area to me. So ma ...more
Mandy J. Hoffman
MY REVIEW:

Living the Cross Centered Life is a book that has found a permanent home on my bookshelf. It's short, it's sweet, and it's simply simple. I greatly appreciate how C.J. Mahaney takes us back to the basics of the Christian life - the gospel - to which all the Bible points to.

I enjoyed this book that made me stop and fully look at God's love for me through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. I was convicted of my check-list spiritual habits that take away from keeping the gospel the main thing
Casey
The contents of this book literally changed my life.

This book combines two of Mahaney's earlier works (Christ: Our Mediator and The Cross-Centered Life) along with some added material. I first read those two books (both of them on the same day, as I recall) a little over two years ago. On that wonderful day, C. J. Mahaney helped me to catch a vision of the beauty of the cross, and of the Savior who died in my place.

Mahaney, in simple, straightforward language, explains what Christ accomplished
Ryan
This was a good, short book focused on the events in the last week of Jesus' life. While primarily looking at the cross, Mahaney uses different events of the week (like the Last Supper and the Garden of Gethsemane) to teach about Jesus' atonement and other gospel truths.

For me, the book was a simple but fresh look at Jesus' death for sinners. It would be a good gift for a new/young Christian, but it makes for edifying reading for older Christians too.
Linore
Excellent, excellent, little book. Mahaney's sound principles and accessible style (honed from the pulpit) make this engaging little book well worth reading and re-reading. If you feel like you've lost the essence of your Christianity, the focus and target and joy of your faith, then this book is for you. Heck, even if you don't feel that way, this book is a stirring journey, taking readers to the very cross of Christ. (You may think you've been there before, but it is worth taking the journey w ...more
Ian Wilson
A must read for all Christians who desire to draw nearer to God! In this book C.J. Mahaney brings home the real message of the cross and the sacrifice that was made on our behalf. If you have ever had the slightest doubt in your salvation ... this is a book for you!
Jacqui
This is essential to every Christian's bookshelf. The cross is the centre of the Christian faith and this little, easy to read book reminds you of the importance of the cross in everyday life for the Christian. Loved it!
Dawn
I absolutely loved this book. It was very easy to read but still contained so much truth. It was an easy reminder on how to keep the gospel always before me instead of listening to the lies that I tell myself.
junia
"The gospel should be woven throughout our praise, our petitions, and our intercession, because our approach to God the Father is only--ever and always--through God the Son and His work on the cross" (138).
Bill
A book to read and re-read. Considers the events of the cross, and the daily difference Christ's death makes in our lives. Simple encouragment to never move on from the gospel.
Henry
C.J. Mahaney explains what the Cross accomplished, and how we can make that central in our lives. It is well worth reading.
Christina
Loved this book! If you want a deeper understanding of the Christian faith, read this book!
Became a Christian while reading this book :)
Taylor Edmonds
Vocation and Calling Fall 2013 (sophomore)
Jackie
EVERY Christian should read this book.
Jay Risner
Concise. Excellent.
Jonathan
Really appreciate his soft heart in this book.

There was one criticism that came to my mind/heart. In the chapter on joy, and in other parts of the book, it seemed like C. J. kind of down-played the importance and role of suffering and sorrow in the life of a Christian. The life of a Christian is not: joy-joy-joy. The life of a Christian is sorrowful-joy.

I don't mean self-pity. I mean sorrow.

There is at least one good reason for Christians to feel sorrow, and it is this: love. Love for God and l
Melanie
As the three stars suggest, I liked this book. It was simple and straightforward; however, I'm not sure if I'd consider it a "must read." I'm certain that it would be treasured by many though.

I read the book as part of a community small group study, so it might also be preferable to read the book in one or two sittings as opposed to over 10 months. Perhaps following that advice would have bumped up my star score.

I appreciate Mahaney's transparency and I think he offered some good examples (and
Eric Hoff
In Living the Cross Centered Life, C. J. Mahaney proposes that the gospel and the cross are to be the driving passions for the Christian life. One who has believed in the message of the gospel never moves on. The Christian is to view all of life through the lens of the gospel.
Maheney’s book quotes extensively from Scripture, both Old and New Testament, as well as theologians contemporary and dead. The first nine chapters look at different aspects of the cross. The reader is escorted into Geths
Carlos E. Montijo
Mar 25, 2013 Carlos E. Montijo rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Carlos E. by: Tim Shaughnessy
This little book on what the cross of Christ means and what its implications are for believers (and unbelievers) is outstanding. Mahaney belongs to a dying breed of authors who understand the very heart of the gospel--Christ's death:

What we face is the righteous threat of furious wrath from a holy God. That is the threat faced by all who have gone astray, by each one who has turned to his own way.... We are indeed guilty of sin and deserving punishment.
But the innocent One, the holy One--God the
Courtney Huskisson
Mahaney is a great author with sound theology, and this book really brings you back to the main thing in life; true reality.

Favorite Quotes:
"We let our feelings tell us what's true, instead of letting the truth transform our feelings."

" 'When we behold the disfigurement of the Son of God, when we find ourselves appalled by his marred appearance, we need to reckon afresh that it is upon ourselves we gaze, for he stood in our place' - John Calvin"

" 'We little know,' Spurgeon writes, 'what we owe
Prayson Daniel

C. J. Mahaney’s book: Living The Cross Centered Life, Keeping the Gospel the Main Thing was my last advent Sunday’s gift from my dearly and lovely wife, Lea. I cannot shed light on the beauty and treasuring message in this book better than Mark Dever (Senior pastor at Capitol Hill Baptist Church, Washington, D.C):

“You’re holding the book you want to read to begin living the Christian life. You’re also holding the book you want to read to help you continue living the Christian life. There’s no o
Reid
Dec 21, 2012 Reid rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: discouraged Christians; Christians caught in habitual sin; weak Christians; immature Christians
Recommended to Reid by: Joni Eareckson Tada, in a daily devotional I get from JAF websit
Very readable and well written. This message of this book appealed to me because it is so practical and addresses, "Besides fire insurance, what's the big deal about the cross?"

The author takes the Pauline text, 1 Cor 15:1,3 - "Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you...For I delivered to you of first importance what I also received: that Jesus Christ died for our sins." ... and he builds on the premise that this is the main thing for a Christian, it is THE essential mes
clAViD
Aug 09, 2007 clAViD rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those for whom the Gospel has lost its priority
I feel bad giving a Christian book anything less than 5-stars. But according to the meter, 3 stars means "I liked it." Sooo yeah. I liked it. But I wouldn't say it's up there with my favorite books of all time. But it is a refreshing reminder (it might be better to read this book in one-sitting, because I read a chapter-a-day and that might have interrupted the flow).

I think it did show me how I have put the Gospel on the backburner, how everyday was not a Gospel-centered day and for that I am t
Nathan Schneider
Simple, easy read. An encouraging book that reminds the reader that all of life should be reoriented toward the good news of Jesus Christ. It's the only thing that saves and the thing that helps us grow.
Rachel
In this brief and simply-presented book, Mahaney exhorts Christians to be always mindful of the basic message of the gospel. We never “move on” from the fact that Jesus died on the cross for us. When we neglect the cross, we are in danger of falling into the following traps:
-We may slip into legalism, trying to earn God’s favor.
-We may become subject to our emotions and our circumstances.
-We may fall into self-condemnation.
Particularly helpful to me was the admonition that instead of “listenin
Devin
Jan 17, 2011 Devin rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Christians
Recommended to Devin by: Meredith Mork
Shelves: christian
C.J. Mahaney does an excellent job of explaining why the Gospel is so important, defining what the Gospel is, and giving examples of how understanding the Gospel should transform the Christian's life. This book is written for the Christian. Because this book centers so much on believing the Gospel and learning more about he Gospel, those who don't want anything to do with the good news of the Christian message will have little to no interest in this book. However, this book, though not presentin ...more
Jim Hughes
Sometimes retelling the most obvious must be told. C.J. Mahaney has done that well. For the believer, it would seem obvious that we need to keep the message of the cross central to our lives, but sadly, this doesn't seem to be the case in many of our lives.
It is way too easy to get so caught up in living and serving that we lose our sense of the importance of keeping the sacrificial death of Christ central to our lives.
This book is a wonderful reminder to us that returning to the cross is no
Getting into Focus 3 11 Apr 09, 2012 12:48PM
  • A Gospel Primer for Christians: Learning to See the Glories of God's Love
  • God Is the Gospel: Meditations on God's Love as the Gift of Himself
  • The Gospel & Personal Evangelism
  • What Is the Gospel?
  • What Is a Healthy Church Member?
  • The Enemy Within: Straight Talk about the Power and Defeat of Sin
  • Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands: People in Need of Change Helping People in Need of Change
  • The Gospel for Real Life: Turn to the Liberating Power of the Cross...Every Day
  • The Bruised Reed
  • Seeing with New Eyes: Counseling and the Human Condition Through the Lens of Scripture
  • The Gospel According to Jesus: What Does Jesus Mean When He Says "Follow Me"?
  • A Call to Spiritual Reformation: Priorities from Paul and His Prayers
  • Overcoming Sin & Temptation
  • Note to Self: The Discipline of Preaching to Yourself
  • The Good News We Almost Forgot: Rediscovering the Gospel in a 16th Century Catechism
  • Gospel Wakefulness
C.J. Mahaney leads Sovereign Grace Ministries in its mission to establish and support local churches. He spent 27 years pastoring Covenant Life Church in Gaithersburg, Maryland.

He currently co-hosts the Together for the Gospel conference with Mark Dever, Ligon Duncan and Albert Mohler and serves on the Council of the Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals, and on the boards of The Council on Biblica
More about C.J. Mahaney...
Humility: True Greatness The Cross-Centered Life: Keeping the Gospel the Main Thing Worldliness: Resisting the Seduction of a Fallen World Sex, Romance, and the Glory of God: What Every Christian Husband Needs to Know Why Small Groups? Together Toward Maturity

“The personal desolation Christ is experiencing on the cross is what you and I should be experiencing--but instead, Jesus is bearing it, and bearing it all alone.
Why alone?
He's alone so that we might never be alone.”
7 likes
“Unless you see yourself standing there with the shrieking crowd, full of hostility and hatred for the holy and innocent Lamb of God, you don’t really understand the nature and depth of your sin or the necessity of the cross.” 3 likes