Start by marking “An Incomplete & Inaccurate History of Sport” as Want to Read:
An Incomplete & Inaccurate History of Sport

An Incomplete & Inaccurate History of Sport

Wisecracking sports broadcaster Kenny Mayne keeps dubious score of sports' absurdities, true and unsubstantiated history, off-the-wall trivia, and all things real and possibly made-up in this hilarious book.
Audiobook
Published September 1st 2009 by Findaway World (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about An Incomplete & Inaccurate History of Sport, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Incomplete & Inaccurate History of Sport

Gina
Nov 23, 2008 Gina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think Kenny Mayne is hilarious. There were points in this book where I laughed out loud, but he actually had some rather touching parts as well. Who knew Kenny Mayne could be sensitive?

If the reader doesn't enjoy sports and/or Kenny Mayne, I do not think he or she would understand or appreciate the book.
Jeremy
Jul 27, 2008 Jeremy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Kenny Mayne. That said, I only liked parts of his book. I know he's very tongue in cheek and self-deprecating, but the extent to which he lampooned himself was a little off-putting. I mean, how many times do I have to hear about how terrible you think your book is and how dumb you're pretending to be while you write it?

That said, I really did enjoy reading it but am glad that I picked it up at a remaindered bookseller at the outlet mall. The best parts were Kenny slipping into memoir mode
Fred Forbes
Feb 23, 2012 Fred Forbes rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I gave this one star because zero is not an option. I picked up the audio book for a drive from the Tampa area to Miami and back and immediately regretted only picking up one book since I was stuck listening to it. I am a sports fan and enjoy writers like Dave Barry, Colbert, etc. but this rambling, repetitive, non-insightful book is a mess. Now I know that his calling us idiots for buying and/or listening to it is supposed to be funny but it got old long before the tenth time he mentioned it. I ...more
Kevin
Kenny Mayne is one of the guys on SportsCenter. The really dry and funny one. Imagine Dennis Miller if he wasn't an ass. I also love the surreal kind of meandering of some of the chapters in this (chapters include snowball fighting, electric tackle football, jai alai, and something called Orienteering). This may not sound like everyone's cup of Gatorade but you might say it's like a sports book done up McSweeney's-style.
Ben
There are a couple of very good bits in the book, about the standard things that are good in sports books--remembering the games he played as a kid, fond memories of his father, his dealing with personal tragedy. However, there is quite a bit of filler that really is a waste, and while it's not hard to wade through, it is more work than it's worth.
Brent Steensma
Jun 09, 2008 Brent Steensma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This is one of the 5 people I'd have over for dream dinner! I met Kenny, too! We have a lot in common: We both order triple tall americanos, we both went to Wenatchee Valley College, we both broke legs in football games, we both like horse racing, and we both agree tackle football is the greatest sport in the world...
David
Dec 24, 2010 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was hilarious. Like the title suggests, this book is neither accurate nor complete. Most of the time Kenny Mayne tells stories from his childhood and recent past; yet, it is incredibly funny and I enjoyed reading it. His satirical view on most, if not all, of the sports he covers is genius. An easy read and if you are a sports fan it is definitely something fun to do over a break.
Jonathan
Dec 30, 2008 Jonathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you've watched ESPN at all during the past few years, you know this guy. Well, the book reads exactly like he presents himself on TV. Very much a stream-of-consciousness thing. And very funny.

I was going to give this book three stars, but the chapter entitled "Tackle Football: Randall Cunningham" was worth at least one star all by itself.
Mark
I'm stuck over the President's Day weekend with completed novels, so I dug through my son's Christmas gifts and hit upon this on...I like Kenny Mayne on ESPN and the irreverence he often brings to his productions...this same irreverence comes through in this project...on a par with or maybe just a little below Dave Berry on many of the same subjects
Jonathan
Mar 27, 2009 Jonathan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
Not the most well-written book I've ever read, but it made me laugh. Kenny did a reading at Amazon, so I had heard a few of the stories straight from the horse's mouth. Worth taking a day or two to read.
Mike Awtry
I love Kenny Mayne and his dry, bizarre sense of humor. But this book goes on a bit too long. Some chapters are hilarious and brilliant (even heartfelt) essays on sports (especially tackle football) and childhood experiences. But most of them are forgettable light amusement.
Hayden
Jul 21, 2008 Hayden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funniest book EVER! Written in the exact same way Kenny does his sports stories, including wild tangents, mini-rants and absurdly random thoughts that have you wondering exactly what goes on in his head.
Myke
Sep 09, 2008 Myke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars because it is so funny, and 4 stars because he is actually a rather good story teller. I learned nothing about sports from the book outside of his point of view and his personal stories.
A quick read, and definately worth it for a laugh.
Joey
Jul 27, 2011 Joey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everything I could have wanted out of a book written by Kenny Mayne. The interest in sports is there, for sure, but also his unique blend of humor and "Where did THAT come from?" story-telling makes it a very enjoyable read.
Robert
May 07, 2008 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty funny book. I enjoyed the pictures in the book provided by his two kids (5 and 7-years old). If you enjoy his dry humor you will like the book.
Joel
Jun 30, 2008 Joel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Currently reading this and i love it, Kenny Mayne had to deal with some great tragedies in his life, which i could relate with, well written
Nate Bringhurst
You will like this book if you like Kenny Mayne and his type of humor. But even then it gets a little old after 30 or so pages. I enjoyed reading it in spurts.
Jay Budzilowski
Sep 27, 2016 Jay Budzilowski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kenny is funny. 4 stars funny. Even Kenny would agree. 5 stars funny is for professional humorists. Kenny is not one of those. This review is already too long.
Steve
Jan 01, 2009 Steve rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports
If you like dry wit, Kenny Mayne is hysterical. However, his schtick gets old 50 pages into the book.
steven fischback
steven fischback rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2014
Arlo Lyle
Arlo Lyle rated it liked it
May 12, 2012
Jesse Richman
Jesse Richman rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2009
Jacob
Jacob rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2011
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2016
Jackchristopherhill
Jackchristopherhill rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2012
Jake
Jake rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2012
Jacob Klus
Jacob Klus rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2015
Kevin rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Men with Balls: The Professional Athlete's Handbook
  • Conservatize Me: How I Tried to Become a Righty with the Help of Richard Nixon, Sean Hannity, Toby Keith, and Beef Jerky
  • Mike and Mike's Rules for Sports and Life
  • The Aesthetics Of Rock
  • Cooperstown Confidential: Heroes, Rogues, and the Inside Story of the Baseball Hall of Fame
  • Kooks: A Guide to the Outer Limits of Human Belief
  • Boy with Loaded Gun: A Memoir
  • Letters From People Who Hate Me
  • Yokohama Threeway: And Other Small Shames
  • Everything They Had: Sports Writing
  • I Was a Fat Drunk Catholic School Insomniac
  • Please Take Me Off the Guest List
  • Answer Me!
  • Loser Goes First: My Thirty-Something Years of Dumb Luck and Minor Humiliation
  • Requiem for a Paper Bag: Celebrities and Civilians Tell Stories of the Best Lost, Tossed, and Found Items from Around the World (Found Anthology)
  • Oedipus Wrecked
  • The Whuffie Factor: The 5 Keys for Maxing Social Capital and Winning with Online Communities
  • Any Other Mouth