It's Here Now (Are You?)

It's Here Now (Are You?)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  23 reviews
In his classic book Be Here Now, Ram Dass introduced the world to a young guru named Bhagavan Das. Continuing his own story in It's Here Now (Are You?), Bhagavan Das shares the profound and surreal moments of his spiritual awakening in the East, his fall from grace in the West, and his peaceful reconciliation with the sacred center.

For many years in the early '70s Bhagavan...more
Published September 15th 1998 by Harmony (first published September 15th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about It's Here Now, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Here Now

Siddhartha by Hermann HesseThe Art of Happiness by Dalai Lama XIVZen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu SuzukiWhen Things Fall Apart by Pema ChödrönPeace Is Every Step by Thích Nhất Hạnh
A Buddhist Reading List
188th out of 508 books — 650 voters
Animal Farm by George Orwell1984 by George OrwellThe Secret Magdalene by Ki LongfellowLord of the Flies by William GoldingFlow Down Like Silver by Ki Longfellow
Books Which Provoke Inner Thought
76th out of 110 books — 108 voters

More lists with this book...

Rob
if I were actively smoking weed, I think this book would have made all the sense in the world
Michael Cunningham
`Too often we underestimate the power of thought. Thoughts manifest. Your life is what you think it is. That's why meditating and disengaging from the thought process helps free the self' - It's Here Now Now p. 63.

It's Here Now (Are You?) is one of the best books I have ever read. Sure it doesn't really hold a candle to classics like The Alchemist or Siddhartha, but why should it? It's not a work of fiction, but it is definitely out of this world: `I didn't know it that night, but we would becom...more
Rachele Eve
This book is extremely enlightening and not in a way where Bhagavan Das is my guru, but that his experiences are overwhelmingly powerful. I admire him for his honesty and his bravery in being so open about his spiritual journey. I found myself tickled at all of the sanskrit words, Hindu and Buddhist teachings that I recognized and found new meaning in. An exotic and entertaining read!
Michael Graber
This book is a rare treasure because you hear a profoundly adventurous life of a modern American seeker. As a hybrid between an autobiography and spiritual autobiography, you follow the saga of a man who will inspire, provoke, and piss you off, while still hoping he rediscovers the divinity within when out of touch with this essence. Along the way many of the famous poets, gurus, and hipsters pepper the journey. A must read for those on the direct path.
Foxthyme
The first 2/3rds of this book are glorious to read, no punches pulled. Once Das got back to the States, I wasn't as interested. Even so, what a good book.

A quote from the book:
Food was a big deal because it was the only thing happening in my space. So when the food came, I was in awe of it. There was so much love in the meals this man brought to me. The life force in the food and the sacredness of the preparation of the food had become God. This was the first time I experienced food as God.

......more
Bill
This book transports you to the extraordinary world of the hindu mystic. It is the classic tale of a man who sought and found grace lost it in a big way and seeks his way back to it again. It was a very brave book to write and I am not quite certain if his way back to grace again is the real thing or just the clever stchick of a horny old man to pick up young groupies, after all lust was his downfall.
Dave
I found this book really compelling up to about the halfway mark. By that point the shininess of all the spiritual acrobatics wore off and the author's ego and his need to impress with repeated anecdote after anecdote of each ashram/guru/new practice became overwhelming. The incessant name dropping and spiritual war stories left me cold in the end, it was all I could do to finish the book.
Jim
I have enjoyed reading this book however I can't get over the feeling that Bhagavan Das may be full of it. I love his kirtan but this memoir is a test in wading thru bullshit. a name dropper par none, and his descriptions of spiritual attainments do seem improbable or at least well over exaggerated. Lets see how I feel after I finish reading
Beth
I can't wait to read this book again. I just finished it and I'm ready to begin again. But I've passed it on to a few friends so I'll wait. An incredible memoir of a man's spiritual journey. I became interested in him when I heard him sing kirtan and went to a meditation workshop with him. His story is incredible and inspirational.
Bonnie Lind
Totally fascinated by his experiences in India. I've had the blessing of being in his presence and meeting with him personally. As I read, I heard his voice. The path to growth is not painless, and as Baba's story unfolds it is very clear how misaligned Western society has become. Read this book. Immerse yourself in the message.
John Richards
Fascinating story of a man who went to India on his own to find God when he was 18. Bhagavan Das embraces the spiritual quest, becoming a renunciate and living as an Indian Sadhu (Holy Man). Bhagavan Das meets his Sat Guru Baba Neem Karoli and is initiated on the paths of Nada and Bhakti Yoga.
Kailash Bruder
A most engrossing yarn by a fellow who was willing to do anything to achieve a direct experience of God. Ghost-written (by a very skilled writer) from audio recordings of Baba's personal narrative, this work--more than any other spiritual memoir in my experience--defines "page-turner."
Kristina
Wow. This book was so interesting. I loved reading about the different religions and the counterculture that was going on during the 60's and 70's. I definitly think he was a bit hypocrytical and a bit of a jerk but really fascinating guy.
Cynthia
i loved the first part where he was studying in india and nepal etc...once he went back to u.s., he lost me a bit. but he's a wacky mystic, and i got lots of wacky, powerful mystical ideas....the first part is well worth the read.
Teresa
Pretty wild stuff. In the 70's, Be Here Now by Ram Dass, was like a bible to me. But this guy, whew! Very interesting. My daughter loved the book. Its been a while since I read it. Maybe I'll read it again.
Curt
What a fun story of an amazing person. If you are into the spiritual path and like reading about people from the late 60's early 70's and there experiences, then I recommend this book. What a life!
Traci
Ram Daas book "Be Here Now" was a handbook of sorts. Bhagavan Das book is more a who's who of the guru explosion. He barely mentions his kids.....made me a little sad.
Dennis
The strange guy from So.Cal. in "Be Here Now" who introduced Richard Alpert to his guru wrote this memoir. A fairly amazing tell that left me thinking, "What an ASS!"
Charlie
I was living at the ashram of this guys Guru with nothing better to do so I read it quickly. He has a delightful way of making the sacred seem ordinary.
Leigh
Feb 04, 2013 Leigh added it
This was one of the strangest books and personal histories I ever read. I picked up another copy at a used bookstore and was going to check it out again.
Maria
it's a little disappointing to discover that bhagavan das is just a real guy dealing with real life issues, but at the same time, it gives me hope!
Juliana
This one is a fantastic page turner for anyone on the yogic path especially!
Brit
LOVE this book.
Emily
Emily is currently reading it
Aug 26, 2014
Lives
Lives added it
Aug 15, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Harley Rose
Harley Rose marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Essential Unity of All Religions Prayer, Repentance, Confession, and Expiation Prayer, Repentance, Confession, and Expiation Science of Peace: An Attempt at an Exposition of the First Principles of the Science of the Self The Foundation of Manu's Code of Life Science of the Emotions