Start by marking “It's Here Now (Are You?)” as Want to Read:
It's Here Now (Are You?)

It's Here Now (Are You?)

In his classic book Be Here Now, Ram Dass introduced the world to a young guru named Bhagavan Das. Continuing his own story in It's Here Now (Are You?), Bhagavan Das shares the profound and surreal moments of his spiritual awakening in the East, his fall from grace in the West, and his peaceful reconciliation with the sacred center.

For many years in the early '70s Bhagavan
Published September 15th 1998 by Harmony (first published September 15th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about It's Here Now, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Here Now

Siddhartha by Hermann HesseThe Art of Happiness by Dalai Lama XIVZen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu SuzukiWhen Things Fall Apart by Pema ChödrönThe Heart of the Buddha's Teaching by Thich Nhat Hanh
A Buddhist Reading List
258th out of 681 books — 877 voters
The Man Without Qualities by Robert MusilThe Trial by Franz KafkaDuino Elegies by Rainer Maria RilkeSiddhartha by Hermann HesseAnimal Farm by George Orwell
Books Which Provoke Inner Thought
119th out of 169 books — 168 voters

More lists with this book...

Feb 15, 2008 Rob rated it did not like it
if I were actively smoking weed, I think this book would have made all the sense in the world
Michael Cunningham
Sep 13, 2011 Michael Cunningham rated it it was amazing
`Too often we underestimate the power of thought. Thoughts manifest. Your life is what you think it is. That's why meditating and disengaging from the thought process helps free the self' - It's Here Now Now p. 63.

It's Here Now (Are You?) is one of the best books I have ever read. Sure it doesn't really hold a candle to classics like The Alchemist or Siddhartha, but why should it? It's not a work of fiction, but it is definitely out of this world: `I didn't know it that night, but we would becom
Apr 01, 2016 Justin rated it really liked it
I am not sure what to think of this book.

There is a definite holiness I feel pervading the book, much like I feel when reading one of Ram Dass's better books.

On the other hand, I don't feel like I learned much from this book.

I also felt turned off by several things the author did. His constant sexual focus, although supposedly channeled spiritually, seems like it could've just been an excuse to get freaky without consequence (he doesn't seem to challenge his motives at all). He also seems fai
Oct 11, 2007 Foxthyme rated it really liked it
The first 2/3rds of this book are glorious to read, no punches pulled. Once Das got back to the States, I wasn't as interested. Even so, what a good book.

A quote from the book:
Food was a big deal because it was the only thing happening in my space. So when the food came, I was in awe of it. There was so much love in the meals this man brought to me. The life force in the food and the sacredness of the preparation of the food had become God. This was the first time I experienced food as God.

Michael Graber
Jul 13, 2014 Michael Graber rated it it was amazing
This book is a rare treasure because you hear a profoundly adventurous life of a modern American seeker. As a hybrid between an autobiography and spiritual autobiography, you follow the saga of a man who will inspire, provoke, and piss you off, while still hoping he rediscovers the divinity within when out of touch with this essence. Along the way many of the famous poets, gurus, and hipsters pepper the journey. A must read for those on the direct path.
May 06, 2012 Bill rated it really liked it
This book transports you to the extraordinary world of the hindu mystic. It is the classic tale of a man who sought and found grace lost it in a big way and seeks his way back to it again. It was a very brave book to write and I am not quite certain if his way back to grace again is the real thing or just the clever stchick of a horny old man to pick up young groupies, after all lust was his downfall.
Bonnie Lind
Mar 17, 2012 Bonnie Lind rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally fascinated by his experiences in India. I've had the blessing of being in his presence and meeting with him personally. As I read, I heard his voice. The path to growth is not painless, and as Baba's story unfolds it is very clear how misaligned Western society has become. Read this book. Immerse yourself in the message.
Jun 30, 2010 Beth rated it it was amazing
I can't wait to read this book again. I just finished it and I'm ready to begin again. But I've passed it on to a few friends so I'll wait. An incredible memoir of a man's spiritual journey. I became interested in him when I heard him sing kirtan and went to a meditation workshop with him. His story is incredible and inspirational.
Rachele Eve
Apr 16, 2014 Rachele Eve rated it really liked it
This book is extremely enlightening and not in a way where Bhagavan Das is my guru, but that his experiences are overwhelmingly powerful. I admire him for his honesty and his bravery in being so open about his spiritual journey. I found myself tickled at all of the sanskrit words, Hindu and Buddhist teachings that I recognized and found new meaning in. An exotic and entertaining read!
Apr 15, 2008 Dave rated it it was ok
I found this book really compelling up to about the halfway mark. By that point the shininess of all the spiritual acrobatics wore off and the author's ego and his need to impress with repeated anecdote after anecdote of each ashram/guru/new practice became overwhelming. The incessant name dropping and spiritual war stories left me cold in the end, it was all I could do to finish the book.
John Richards
Oct 13, 2013 John Richards rated it it was amazing
Fascinating story of a man who went to India on his own to find God when he was 18. Bhagavan Das embraces the spiritual quest, becoming a renunciate and living as an Indian Sadhu (Holy Man). Bhagavan Das meets his Sat Guru Baba Neem Karoli and is initiated on the paths of Nada and Bhakti Yoga.
Aug 02, 2012 Cynthia rated it liked it
i loved the first part where he was studying in india and nepal etc...once he went back to u.s., he lost me a bit. but he's a wacky mystic, and i got lots of wacky, powerful mystical ideas....the first part is well worth the read.
Jan 23, 2009 Teresa rated it really liked it
Pretty wild stuff. In the 70's, Be Here Now by Ram Dass, was like a bible to me. But this guy, whew! Very interesting. My daughter loved the book. Its been a while since I read it. Maybe I'll read it again.
Jan 15, 2009 Kristina rated it it was amazing
Wow. This book was so interesting. I loved reading about the different religions and the counterculture that was going on during the 60's and 70's. I definitly think he was a bit hypocrytical and a bit of a jerk but really fascinating guy.
Kurt Bruder
Sep 09, 2010 Kurt Bruder rated it it was amazing
A most engrossing yarn by a fellow who was willing to do anything to achieve a direct experience of God. Ghost-written (by a very skilled writer) from audio recordings of Baba's personal narrative, this work--more than any other spiritual memoir in my experience--defines "page-turner."
Mar 08, 2009 Maria rated it it was amazing
it's a little disappointing to discover that bhagavan das is just a real guy dealing with real life issues, but at the same time, it gives me hope!
Feb 04, 2013 Leigh added it
This was one of the strangest books and personal histories I ever read. I picked up another copy at a used bookstore and was going to check it out again.
Jul 26, 2007 Curt rated it really liked it
Shelves: information
What a fun story of an amazing person. If you are into the spiritual path and like reading about people from the late 60's early 70's and there experiences, then I recommend this book. What a life!
Jul 09, 2008 Dennis rated it liked it
The strange guy from So.Cal. in "Be Here Now" who introduced Richard Alpert to his guru wrote this memoir. A fairly amazing tell that left me thinking, "What an ASS!"
Feb 19, 2013 Traci rated it liked it
Ram Daas book "Be Here Now" was a handbook of sorts. Bhagavan Das book is more a who's who of the guru explosion. He barely mentions his kids.....made me a little sad.
Sep 17, 2011 Charlie rated it liked it
Shelves: spirituality, bio
I was living at the ashram of this guys Guru with nothing better to do so I read it quickly. He has a delightful way of making the sacred seem ordinary.
Meredith rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2013
Daniella rated it liked it
Feb 29, 2012
Margie Suvalle
Margie Suvalle rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2010
Nicole Nicole
Nicole Nicole rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2009
Ray Gerber
Ray Gerber rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2014
Nathaniel Eaton
Nathaniel Eaton rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2013
Derek Meier
Nov 01, 2015 Derek Meier rated it it was amazing
Every American should read this book when they finish reading "autobiography of a yogi."
Drew Dow
Drew Dow rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2015
Matt rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2012
  • Paul: The Mind of the Apostle
  • The Star Thrower
  • Will: The Autobiography of G. Gordon Liddy
  • Standing in the Light: My Life as a Pantheist
  • Who Were the Early Israelites and Where Did They Come From?
  • Is There a God?