Start by marking “Here and Now: Living in the Spirit” as Want to Read:
Here and Now: Living in the Spirit

Here and Now: Living in the Spirit

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  523 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Not a faint memory, but happening right here and now, spiritual living takes place in the present; the Spirit meets us in the ordinary. These inspirational reflections by Henri Nouwen succeed in convincing us that God’s presence is reliable.
Published August 1st 2006 by The Crossroad Publishing Company (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Here and Now, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Here and Now

Tristan Liedel
This book reached me at just the right time in my life. As someone who suffers with major depressive disorder and has only recently become aware of God's presence, this was a wonderful tool in helping me grow in my relationship with Him. It is a collection of meditations on the most human of human concerns: relationships, suffering, family, compassion. You can flip open this book to any page, read for a few minutes, and walk away with pithy words to digest.
Wendy LeRoy
This book was written in a really simple, nice way. I loved reading a few passages before I went to sleep. Very inspirational. I want to read all things Nouwen now.
Shanna
Beautuifully written and very inspirational.
Jean Dory
Father Nouwen has written many books. This is the first I have purchased, but I shall purchase many more! The postings are personal, insightful, faith-filled, and tremendously comforting and helpful. There is an index of topics at the back that's a big help when you have something in particular bothering you you'd like a little guidance with understanding and accepting, but basically I just read one or two little entries each day, taking perhaps 10 minutes to read and ponder. I found he set me u ...more
Circle of Hope Pastors
To be surprised by joy is something quite different from naive optimism. Optimism is the attitude that makes us believe that things will be better tomorrow. An optimist says: “The war will be over soon, your sickness will be healed, the depression will go away, the epidemic will be stopped…All will be better soon.” The optimist may be right or wrong, but, whether right or wrong, the optimist does not control the circumstances.

Joy does not come from positive predictions about the state of the wor
Leslie
Sep 14, 2011 Leslie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Leslie by: Worriers
Shelves: spiritual
A pretty book with a pretty cover and some pretty prose. It felt so fluffy and lacking. I don't know exactly what I didn't like, probably nothing. It would be correct to say there was not enough to like, nothing particularly practical. Fluffy pretty words. Perhaps this is just not the right time for me to read this book. I shall read it again later when I grow up.
9-14-11 so i returned to this book after reading about St therese and somehow everything has changed, it seems like a new book. Perhap
John
This is one of those books that I wish I liked better than I did.
"Here and Now" is a collection of short chapters on topics such as "Compassion," "Relationships" and "Suffering," each divided into very short meditations.
The author was a professor at Harvard, Yale and Notre Dame who spent the last 10 years of his life in a community with physically and mentally handicapped people. This is not a career move many people would choose to make. If I were a professor at Harvard, Yale or Notre Dame -- o
Kelli
Reading Henri Nouwen's words is like warmth when you are cold. It just makes sense and you feel how passionate he was about God and people. He makes me feel like he cares, when I read his books. Everything seems simple and elegant. The things of God, coming across as pure and right, with each chapter.

Here and Now is such an amazing subject to pick up. Its about being present and aware of what God is doing in YOUR life. Nouwen talks about how lost we feel when we don't have meaning, when we are b
SJ
Here and Now was a recommendation by a dear Christian friend who knows how drawn I am to Buddhist teachings. Given that it was written by a Catholic priest, I cracked it open expecting to have (not entirely unpleasant) flashbacks to my Catholic upbringing. Instead, I found an incredibly open and nondenominational approach to living a moral and centred life which was not at all offensive to my slightly more secular approach to morality. The collection of musings by the author on various topics of ...more
Brian Johnson
Superb book. My favorite that I have so far read by Nouwen. This is not a book to be hurried through. Each of these short meditations are dense with thought-provoking observations. Some readers may be put off by the lack of structure to the book. Each of the shorter vignettes are loosely grouped into 11 "chapters," but each can be read independently. Lots of quotable material.
Lacey Louwagie
This was a nice book to read a few pages out of before bed to point my mind in spiritual directions. There wasn't too much in it that was earth-shattering, but it contained some good reflections to help put life in perspective. I especially liked what he had to say about family, relationships, and marriage, although I always wonder a bit when a priest waxes philosophical about marriage. I took down a lot of quotes from the book, but none that really jarred me or will stick with me long into the ...more
Bishop Bergland
Generally very good, a fast and easy read, typical Nouwen. The chapter on relationships suffered a bit by being written by a celebate, but other than that it was a very pleasant book.
Christine Olson
This is my favorite of several Henri Nouwen books that I've read.

I have gained useful insights related to fostering the spiritual dimension of my life from any publication that I have read of Henri Nouwen's. He is one of least rigid or dogmatic spiritual writers (written from a Christian faith perspective)whose publications I've read, and he writes in a very accessible way. I feel like I have enriched my life (and hopefully the lives of others!)with each reading of his many publications. I ofte
Seth Malott
So simple and profound. I will read it again.
Jane B.
This book is a series of brief meditations on a variety of life changes. I really enjoyed the first half of the book. I was mostly bored by the second half, likely because it seemed more preachy to me. To be fair, Nouwen is a wonderful Catholic priest and it is to be expected he would come from the perspective of Jesus as the savior of the world. I think my challenge with with some of the meditations came from the fact that I don't identify with Jesus as savior.
Pastor2112
This is a personal book for Nouwen. It is “an extended personal statement of faith” (11) and covers “things that really matter to me” (12). In this book, Nouwen reflects on basic spiritual themes. His chapters on joy, compassion, family, and death are profound and inspiring. In the end, he invites us to continue our faith journey. This may be the best introduction to Nouwen’s spirituality available. Great spiritual reading for those who seek a deeper faith!
dthaase
I started this book in April and used it as a daily devotional, reading a small section or two a day (very easily done as Nouwen has compiled many short reflections no londer than a page or two). This book is ideal for a small group as well as it offers a reflection guide at the back of the book. This book is filled with many Nouwenesque gems. I highly recommend this book.
Aditya /
I only read some sections of the book. I found the voice to be pleasant to read, but I thought most of what I saw in the book was absolute nonsense. Based on what I read, I think Henri puts his own (ridiculous) interpretations on Jesus and what it means to be a good person, and then presents his views as if "he" knows what he is talking about.
Pis4Piglet
It looked like an easy read which it was but there was a lot to think about and ponder and to sit down and read it cover to cover was a little hard to do because it is a lot of information. I did like some chapters better than others but it is a book that should be read as a group discussion and not on your own probably.
Pat aka Tygyr
My husband and I read this for a parish book club. Some of it (even reading weekly in small bites) was a bit over my head. But each chapter builds and I did learn a lot. It might take several reads to really understand the book in depth. But I am glad we read and discussed it.
Wendy
Nouwen is an amazing man with more wisdom and humility than I thought humanly possible. This book (like all his books) is wonderful and enriching and you will be so glad you got a peak into his life. Yours will be changed.
Ed Klein
This is essential Nouwen ! Great essays on the meaning and purpose of life . I especially like "Birthdays" ; but my favorite Nouwen essay is "Downward Mobility" ; this is the message for our time !
Suzanne
Do not underestimate the simplicity of the writing in this books. Instead slowly read and reread each chapter. Simple words of truth. A wonderful book for those still trying to learn to live a with-God life.
Benjamin Vineyard
A compilation piece (of sorts) that reads like Nouwen himself telling you short clips of his best writing. It's an easy read with short sections, great for meditative and prayerful seasons.
Bungz
Compared to Nouwen's other works which I have read before, this one didn't seem to sit as deeply as the others. That being said i cannot say that i did not glean wonderful wisdom from this one.
Jeremy
This book is a collection of 1-2 page reflections on subjects ranging from the Kingdom of God to AIDS. It is really broad and fairly unfocused - but it's Nouwen, so there's gold in there!
Bonnie Barnes
It's one of those books that reminds me of the things I should know, but tend to forget. I'm not sure exactly when I read it, but it might have been in 2003.
John
I first read this about ten years ago and felt a need to revisit Nouwen, one of my favorite authors. A good read for times of refreshing.
Daphne
i read this on a spiritual retreat last year when i was in a bad way. it was good for me. but it still hurts to think of that book!
  • Life with God: Reading the Bible for Spiritual Transformation
  • Thomas Merton:  Spiritual Direction And Meditation
  • The Jesus Way: A Conversation on the Ways That Jesus Is the Way (Spiritual Theology #3)
  • The Cup of Our Life: A Guide for Spiritual Growth
  • A Tree Full of Angels: Seeing the Holy in the Ordinary
  • The Importance of Being Foolish: How to Think Like Jesus
  • The Magnificent Defeat
  • The Renovare Spiritual Formation Bible
  • Sabbath: Finding Rest, Renewal, and Delight in Our Busy Lives
  • Wisdom Distilled from the Daily: Living the Rule of St. Benedict Today
  • Surrender to Love
  • Christianity After Religion: The End of Church and the Birth of a New Spiritual Awakening
  • Fasting: The Ancient Practices
  • The Sacrament of the Present Moment
  • The Desert Fathers: Sayings of the Early Christian Monks
  • Christianity Rediscovered
  • Prayers of the Cosmos: Reflections on the Original Meaning of Jesus's Words
Henri Jozef Machiel Nouwen (Nouen), (1932–1996) was a Dutch-born Catholic priest and writer who authored 40 books on the spiritual life.

Nouwen's books are widely read today by Protestants and Catholics alike. The Wounded Healer, In the Name of Jesus, Clowning in Rome, The Life of the Beloved, and The Way of the Heart are just a few of the more widely recognized titles. After nearly two decades of
More about Henri J.M. Nouwen...
The Return of the Prodigal Son: A Story of Homecoming The Wounded Healer: Ministry in Contemporary Society In the Name of Jesus: Reflections on Christian Leadership Life of the Beloved: Spiritual Living in a Secular World The Inner Voice of Love

“Jesus.. says, 'Let go of your complaints, forgive those who loved you poorly, step over your feelings of being rejected, and have the courage to trust that you won't fall into an abyss of nothingness but into the safe embrace of a God whose love will heal all your wounds.” 38 likes
“One of the tragedies of our life is that we keep forgetting who we are” 34 likes