Start by marking “Lives of Our Own” as Want to Read:
Lives of Our Own

Lives of Our Own

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Shawna and Kari have nothing in common -- except maybe a brother or sister they've never knownDessina, Georgia, is culturally a world apart from Denver, Colorado, as Shawna Riley discovers practically on her first day of junior year. The new girl in school, she seems sophisticated and worldly to her classmates -- but that doesn't help her make friends. In fact, enemies are ...more
Published February 1st 1998 by Dutton Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Lives of Our Own, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lives of Our Own

Stormbreaker by Anthony HorowitzFledgling by Mark A. CooperThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Golden Compass by Philip PullmanThe Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Books for 13/14 year-olds
168th out of 222 books — 205 voters
The Color Purple by Alice WalkerTheir Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale HurstonThe Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm XBeloved by Toni MorrisonInvisible Man by Ralph Ellison
Best African American Books
398th out of 566 books — 704 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily
As far as teen books go, they rarely deal with issues like racism. This was a breath of fresh air in a genre dominated by "Nothing matters except love."
I found myself interested in the characters and their lives. The plot was continuous enough not to get boring, and it had that special something that makes you want to keep reading.
My one criticism was that there were a lot of characters to keep track of, and I got mixed up on who was who a few times.
I admire books that can deal with the sticky
Irene
It was nice and had a good story plot although I think it worsened towards the end. Overall, it was a quick read and I found the issues that the book tackled were interesting.
Liz Chapman
An interesting YA read about race relations and being a teenager in Georgia. I sometimes wonder how close to truth these books are...I've never been in the south and don't know how accurate a portrayal of race relations these things are. So I have no frame of reference for that. But I cared about the characters and what they had at stake, although it felt a wee bit underdeveloped.

(As a random side-note, I always picked this book up to read it upside-down on accident. The cover is deceiving.)
Kathy
Lives of Our Own is a well-done YA read telling the stories of two high school girls, one black, one white, in a Georgia high school. This study of racism (and of the 1st amendment's affect on social change) has believable characters and though by the end has run out of steam, a mostly interesting plot. This is the first book I have read that tackles the issue of sub-deb clubs in the Deep South and the segregated dances that often spring from them. Well worth a read.
Carolina
Awesome. A bit harsh for some readers but not for most.
Maggie Simpson
Maggie Simpson marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Kailey
Kailey marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Mckenzie
Mckenzie marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Simone
Simone marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Surovi Chowdhury
Surovi Chowdhury marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Lyndsey Miller
Lyndsey Miller marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Lynndell
Lynndell marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Tania
Tania marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Sheyani
Sheyani marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Caitlyn
Caitlyn marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Kelsey
Kelsey marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Vianca Parás
Vianca Parás marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Selime
Selime marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Lorri was born in Fairfax, Virginia, but spent most of her childhood in Littleton, Colorado.

Her childhood was for the most part idyllic and uneventful, her father was a system analyst at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory and her mother stayed home with Lorri and her younger brother Derek.

Lorri was a highly imaginative kid, spending hours in the imaginary worlds she created from the many boo
More about Lorri Hewett...
Dancer Coming of Age Soulfire