Forks Over Knives—The Cookbook: Over 300 Recipes for Plant-Based Eating All Through the Year

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  1,127 ratings  ·  81 reviews
"Forks Over Knives," both the documentary and companion book, appeared on the scene in 2011 with an astonishing but simple claim: Following a fully plant-based diet can save your life. By avoiding meat, fish, eggs, dairy, and emphasizing whole, unrefined plant foods, millions of people have begun to notice staggering improvements to their physical fitness, weight, blood su...more
Published August 14th 2012 by The Experiment (first published July 17th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Forks Over Knives—The Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forks Over Knives—The Cookbook

The Pleasure Trap by Douglas J. LisleDr. McDougall's Digestive Tune-Up by John A. McDougallThe China Study by T. Colin CampbellForks Over Knives—The Cookbook by Del SroufeSalt Sugar Fat by Michael Moss
Plant-Strong Reading List!
4th out of 26 books — 3 voters
Lovely Trigger by R.K. LilleyBe with Me by J. LynnStay with Me by J. LynnThe King by J.R. WardOpposition by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Coming Soon
134th out of 195 books — 328 voters

More lists with this book...

Amy
Wow!! I have made at least 10 of the recipes in this book and have not come up with a fail yet! Moreover my entire family enjoys these recipes, including a very picky 5yo.

While I agree with author's point of view that a plant based lifestyle is healthy, I would still appreciate the addition of the nutritional information with the recipes (i.e. calories, fat, protein, etc.) I do not struggle with weight or health issues, but still like to have a general idea of my daily calorie/fat/protein intak...more
Jim Crocker
HANG ON, FOLKS. THIS ONE COULD CHANGE YOUR LIFE--SAVE YOUR LIFE.

It's Ultra-Vegan and it's not as bad as it sounds.

There's still tons of wonderful food you can eat: burritos, pasta, cakes, pies, burgers, sweet potato fries, sorbet and pizza, too.

It's NOT like eating dirt. Really it's not.

What you don't eat is quite simple: NOTHING with a FACE or a MOTHER and no more dairy, eggs, or oil.

Badda-Bing! and you're on your way to a healthy, svelte body. Yup. Become a hottie again, instead of a poor sl...more
Aryne Hornsby
I love the movie and had to buy the book based on that alone, but am not regretting it! This book is particularly good for people who want recipes that are not oily, soy-based or full of store bought cheeses and things. The recipes use simple ingredients and support a healthy diet- whereas some cookbooks go for tasty, but not always healthy, options, the recipes here are all going to help those with weight or health issues because they avoid oils, sugars, and artificial ingredients whenever poss...more
Kathy
Another excellent plant-based cookbook. Recipes I've tried so far have all been very good and well received -- 1. Lotsa Vegetable Chowder, pg. 94..subbed frozen corn and mistakenly put the dill in with the other spices instead of at the end; still tasted great. 2. Grilled Portobello Mushrooms, pg. 173 and 3. Portobello Mushroom Tacos, pg. 137, yummy alternative to bean tacos. 4. Penne with Spicy Eggplant..a nice chunky sauce...I have extra that I will pair with farro or quinoa in place of pasta....more
Alisha Hanson-Glatzel
o far everything I have made has been really good! Baby & Hubby approved!!!

1) Hearty Dal Soup (pg.100) very mild but totally satisfying.

2) Mushrooms, Kale, & Potatoes (pg. 142) Rocking good!!! This one helped my clean out my veggie drawer :) Must add Siracha! I doubled the recipe and the next day we ate it for breakfast with an egg, sunny side up as a topper. De-lish!

This is a great book if you want to learn how to start cooking vegetarian meals!!!!
Grace Kelly
Best, easiest cook book to follow and plenty of energy to clean up the messes afterwards. Wish there were more pictures But then I guess it would spoil the fun of the surprise of creating it your self. All these recipes are fresh, healthy, healing foods that are and has been bringing more energy and balance to my life! Thank you for writing this helpful price of art! I use these recipes everyday.
Morgan
This one definitely rivals Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook. Isa's desserts look phenomenal, per usual. I copied several recipes. I'm excited about a new option for vegan mac n cheese.
Lorraine Rapp
I've found many vegan cookbooks to be inaccessible to someone who isn't committed to the lifestyle, and in that regard Forks Over Knives is a breath of fresh air. Rather than a collection of side dishes flying in loose formation, many of the meals are familiar mainstays with non-traditional ingredients - wraps and stir fries and casseroles figure prominently.

Recommended if you enjoy cooking and own a good set of knives - as usual with vegetarian recipes, there's a lot of chopping and mincing and...more
Carrie
I've read this through from cover to cover and I've now had a chance to try out a dozen or so dishes. I've had way more hits than misses and I'm quite pleased with this book. I was worried the recipes would taste bland but that's not the case at all.
Dharmachris
Plant strong! Almost uniformly excellent recipes. Highly recommended for all. Great for people considering going vegan or vegetarian.
Kimberly Goerges
Not impressed with the recipes in this book. I'm very interested in healthier eating, but the recipes we tried just didn't taste good.
Ligita
Loads of healthy, delicious recipes.
Lynn
Well there isn't an option that says -- looked through with interest. I didn't read the book as in from cover to cover because I just don't do that with cookbooks, but I did go through it looking at recipes saying, "This looks good" or saying, "If I tried that my son would disown me!"

For anyone wanting to learn more about the vegan diet this has some great options: some that I have tried (much to my long-suffering children's bemusement) and some that I vow never to attempt for they sound too str...more
Fresh And
I am eating my way through this cookbook and writing reviews of the recipes at www.freshandfaithful.com I have not made every recipe yet but so far I have really enjoyed making food that is both healthy and tasty. I also like that everything in this book follows the fasting guidelines for the Orthodox Christian Church. My only critique is that I wish this book had more deserts that you did not have to bake (such as sorbets or ice creams).
Nina
I was really excited to find out there was a Forks Over Knives cookbook coming out. The recipes from their website have proven to become some favorites around the house, and I was eager for more from the same people.

However, I was disappointed to find when I received the book that I got one of the copies with multiple editing errors. Missing ingredient lists, missing chunks of instructions, mistakes in the table of contents. So disappointing. I went to the publisher's website and downloaded the...more
Deb
A good companion to the book and movie. Over 300 recipes and lots of tips for eating a plant-strong diet--no meat, dairy and oil. Plenty of ideas and recipes for remaking favorites into healthier vegan dishes. The three recipes I have tried so far worked well. The "Cheesy" Potato Soup was delicious and hard to tell that it contained no cheese or dairy.
Here's a link to the recipes:

The reason I give it 3 stars instead of 4 is for the number of bad editing mistakes in the book--it comes with a sm...more
Tara
Great recipes that can make transitioning from the standard American diet to a plant-based easier. It doesn't contain a lot of those hard to find items like what are listed in some other cookbooks.
Stacie
Well I have to say I don't really do vegan food but I do enjoy plant-based eating generally, and this book was wonderfully free of faux meats and soy cheeses, etc. there are a lot of tasty recipes - enough that I checked this out of the library to read and now plan on buying my own copy. I have cooked one recipe so far and my carnivore husband and picky stepkids all loved it (in fact, we're making it again tomorrow night).
My only quibbles are with some of the techniques and ingredient choices (I...more
Angela Brooks
I saw the documentary and enjoyed it so we thought we would get the book. We like the recipes and actually lost some weight! The concept makes sense.
Teesa
After attending a couple of lectures on growing healthier food, I began to look for recipes to replace my addiction to cheese and dairy. This book has some great tasty recipes, Mushroom Stroganoff, Mexican Casserole and Pumpkin Bean bars. Now, if I could only incorporate a few each week and dramatically lower my cholesterol!
Marlene
Good stuff, but beware of the basil pesto: I'd advise using someone else's recipe. Also, be prepared for adding to your basic pantry: miso, mirin, rice wine vinegar, nutritional yeast and many sorts of other similar ingredients.
Keren
Delicious easy to make plant based meals! I love it!!
Zann
Still trying the recipes…so far so good.
Sara
After watching the documentary and reading a couple books on plant-based nutrition, my husband and I splurged for this cookbook. The recipes are amazing and you can feel good about each and every one, nutritionally. Meat-free, dairy-free, oil-free, and there are many gluten-free recipes/suggested substitutions as well. We have been oil-free vegan for almost 2 months now and feel amazing. This cookbook is an excellent starter book for those who recently committed to a vegan lifestyle - recipes in...more
Barb
Excellent recipes.
Lisa
Great, easy to follow recipes.
Alison
I think the folks rushed to publish this book and didn't really check the recipes, many mistakes throughout. However, they responded to reader feedback and released a corrected copy - make sure you get the 2nd edition! I've tried a few of the recipes and am very happy with the book. This is one I will be using often.

One note: if you are looking for a variety of salad dressings, pick up the original companion book for the film, the dressings are all in there.
Michele
I love this cookbook - while the recipes are vegan, it's fairly easy to substitute if you haven't made the plunge from vegetarian. Everything I've tried has been really good - my one complaint is that the author uses whole spices - which I agree would give better flavor, but they just aren't practical for my lifestyle and I would love some conversion measurements. I've been going on taste, and it's worked well so far but it would be great to have a starting point.
Janeen K
After watching Forks over Knives documentary so glad there is a cookbook. Love Love Love this plant-based cookbook. Making lots of wonderful recipes. Great mixture of dishes: rice, pasta, grains.... Love the soups. Interesting anyone who wants to loose weight or just feel better you do not need to join WW or buy special programs of diet food . Watch Forks Over Knives Documentary. And change to Plant based eating... that simple.
Janet
Jan 19, 2014 Janet added it
One of my favorite cookbooks in my quest for better health. Easy but tasty recipes with common ingredients.
  • Everyday Happy Herbivore: Over 175 Quick-and-Easy Fat-Free and Low-Fat Vegan Recipes
  • The Great Vegan Bean Book
  • Vegan Eats World: 300 International Recipes for Savoring the Planet
  • The China Study Cookbook: Over 120 Whole Food, Plant-Based Recipes
  • Wild About Greens: 125 Delicious Recipes from Hearty Soups & Stews to Succulent Sautes & Smoothies
  • Chloe's Kitchen: 125 Easy, Delicious Recipes for Making the Food You Love the Vegan Way
  • Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker: 200 Ultra-Convenient, Super-Tasty, Completely Animal-Free Recipes
  • The Get Healthy, Go Vegan Cookbook
  • Artisan Vegan Cheese
  • Forks Over Knives: The Plant-Based Way to Health
  • Vegan Pie in the Sky: 75 Out-of-This-World Recipes for Pies, Tarts, Cobblers, Crumbles, and More
  • Vegan Italiano: Meat-free, Egg-free, Dairy-free Dishes from Sun-Drenched Italy
  • Crazy Sexy Kitchen: 150 Plant-Empowered Recipes to Ignite a Mouthwatering Revolution
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus
  • Color Me Vegan: Maximize Your Nutrient Intake and Optimize Your Health by Eating Antioxidant-Rich, Fiber-Packed, Color-Intense Meals That Taste Great
  • The Engine 2 Diet: The Texas Firefighter's 28-Day Save-Your-Life Plan that Lowers Cholesterol and Burns Away the Pounds
  • Vegan Cooking for Carnivores: Over 125 Recipes So Tasty You Won't Miss the Meat
  • The Oh She Glows Cookbook: Over 100 Vegan Recipes to Glow from the Inside Out
Better Than Vegan: 101 Favorite Low-Fat, Plant-Based Recipes That Helped Me Lose Over 200 Pounds Food Over Medicine: The Conversation That Could Save Your Life