Start by marking “Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs (Llewellyn's Sourcebook Series)” as Want to Read:
Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs (Llewellyn's Sourcebook Series)

Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs (Llewellyn's Sourcebook Series)

4.29  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,910 Ratings  ·  126 Reviews
Do you work magic with herbs? Do you use them in spells, for talismans or simply use their innate powers? If you don't have Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs, you need to get it right away. This book has become a classic in its field. Paul Beyerl, a respected author on herbs calls it "…an essential reference book by students of herbalism and magick alike … Scott's ...more
Published April 8th 2000 by Llewellyn Publications (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs

Wicca by Scott CunninghamThe Spiral Dance by StarhawkDrawing Down the Moon by Margot AdlerThe Triumph of the Moon by Ronald HuttonCunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs by Scott Cunningham
The Best Pagan Books
5th out of 290 books — 239 voters
Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs by Scott CunninghamDemons of the Flesh by Nikolas SchreckThe Complete Book of Incense, Oils & Brews by Scott CunninghamCunningham's Encyclopedia of Crystal, Gem & Metal Magic by Scott CunninghamInitiation Into Hermetics by Franz Bardon
Essential Magikal Books
1st out of 118 books — 78 voters

More lists with this book...

Fostergrants
Oct 17, 2007 Fostergrants rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gardening
i love this book - i wander around the yard with it - i practically read it to my plants. the history and folklore adds so much to my gardening experience and i get totally excited when somebody asks about this or that herb i have in a dish near my front door or tied in a bundle over the fireplace. each plant reference includes: latin name, folk name, gender, planet, element, deities, powers, uses, whether or not it's poisonous, and a black n white botanical sketch of the plant. mint is no longe ...more
Joan DeArtemis
May 24, 2011 Joan DeArtemis rated it it was amazing
This is one of my two absolute favorite books on the magical use of herbs. It is fun and easy to use, and I highly recommend it for anyone interested in undertaking the practice of Wicca or modern Witchcraft. Scott Cunningham was a wonderful, light hearted, positive Light Being (I knew him personally), and everyone I know who uses this book loves it.

There has been some criticism that everything in it is not based in perfect scholarship. However, that does not matter. This book has been in activ
Ailyn
Nov 09, 2010 Ailyn rated it liked it
I've realized that my expectations for what I want n an herbal, and what is actually out there, are two completely different things. Yet Cunningham's Encyclopedia has more of what I would want, with some folk history of the different herbs. I don't like that everything is structured into the generic Greek 4 element model, but you get that with Wicca and ceremonialism. As a supplemental reference book, I feel it does pretty well, and it did spark my interest into herbalism.
Peter
The folk names and the suchlike were interesting, the illustrations are inspireing the books subject matter is nonsense. yes I do respect other peoples beliefs, but I have had access to books over three hundred years old and I can only say the magic from this book (if it's to be believed)is from the Sooty and Sweep school of "izzy wizzy lets get bizzy" magic.
Emily W
Mar 13, 2016 Emily W rated it really liked it
Cunningham's encyclopedia is certainly comprehensive, and the ability to search by common name, scientific name, or magical use is incredibly useful. But the book is severely lacking in explanations - his bibliograohy spans nearly 2,000 years, from ancient Greek medicine to medieval superstition to modern medicinal uses, all of which are incorporated into a plant's list of magical uses and affinities, but without a hint as to which sources are involved in a given claim. In short, the book functi ...more
Claudia Loureiro
Jun 27, 2015 Claudia Loureiro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: druidry
Wonderful reference book for my Ovate studies.
Julie Decker
Jul 28, 2014 Julie Decker rated it really liked it
Cunningham was a master of herbalism, so it's not surprising that his book on plant magic is so comprehensive and useful. This book is a unique blend of folklore, plant facts, and suggestions for magical uses of plants. You can find out plants' folk names and associated mythology as well as understand them as symbols and living things. It's easy to incorporate the knowledge within into any practice, and even for those who do not practice any herbalism, it's an interesting read.
Bettina
Mar 20, 2015 Bettina rated it really liked it
Certainly not the sort of book one would read from beginning to end, but a very useful reference book and one I use often. The index allows you to look up herbs by the proper name, Folk name or Latin name. For each herb you will find the related Gender, Planet, Element, Deities, Powers as well as magical and ritual uses. Only drawback here is while Cunningham's reference list is long, he does not indicate which source is used to back up the claimed properties of each herb. While this book is gre ...more
Effie
Nov 20, 2011 Effie rated it it was amazing
If you're wondering about which magical herbal book to pickup (As there are many! and not all are created equal haha) ...Although it's nice to have more sources to pull from in any realm of knowledge...I can honestly say I don't personally bother with any other book then this one when I'm needing this information. An absolute MUST have if your interested in learning more in this area, I promise you will return to it again and again.
Carrie
Jun 29, 2008 Carrie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: pagans, homeopaths, witches
This is my herbal bible! My current copy is starting to fall apart by the binding from over use, the plastic on the cover is coming away from the paper, the pages are well loved...A lot of people think Cunningham is too simple, that he's a 'good place to start', but why overcomplicate things when they're so effective to begin with? I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who wants more info on magical herbs.
Kelly Hulslander
Mar 02, 2008 Kelly Hulslander rated it it was amazing
The books by Scott Cunningham are truly informative for any practitioner of Paganism or the Wiccan paths, whether you be a solitary or coven practioner. Personally I am a solitary who reads all the Neo-pagan books of knowledge concerning herbs, practices, incense and oils, history, etc... I can get my hands on. to truly understand the path one must research and practice, Blessed Be.
Frances
Jun 13, 2011 Frances rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People with an interest in herbs, Wiccans,
Shelves: owned
I love this book. I had it years ago in paperback and constantly used it. In a move it was left to one of my children. I have since bought it on my kindle because I missed it so much. I think I prefer the print version better though, ( for the drawings of the herbs). I am putting no date finished on it as I use it all the time. I do not think I will ever officially "finish" this book.
Willa Wylde
Jun 09, 2011 Willa Wylde rated it it was amazing
The quintessential herbal book for magickal purposes, if you can only have one, make it this one. most modern witchcraft books are based in whole or part on the works of Scott Cunningham.

This book has excellent appendixes and cross references, as well as offering both multiple common names, pictures, and the Latin taxonomy, uses, planetary correspondences, etc.
Carla
Jul 16, 2013 Carla rated it it was amazing
A MUST have in any herbalist, magical, naturalist library. Contains pictures along side the herb, folk names, gender, planet, element, powers, and magical uses. Also has cross reference names in the back to help the person searching.
I love this book and find it helpful when looking to make a mix or when I have a celebration.
Swankivy
Nov 09, 2007 Swankivy rated it really liked it
You don't really "read" or "finish" this book because it's more of a look-up-what-you-need encyclopedic book, but it's very clear and concise and informative. Highly recommended for anyone who wants a down-to-earth magical herbal guide--interesting for folklore buffs as well as Crafters, ya know?
Sep 18, 2007 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Herbalists, Witches
Shelves: magick
This is a must-have for every herbalist's shelf. Cunningham's work is accessible, well-written, and easy to follow, one of the better Herb guides on the market today for magical and health uses.
Valrie Wylde
Dec 01, 2014 Valrie Wylde rated it it was amazing
I have to say, this is one of the books on my shelf that is filled with post it notes and book marks.. I use it a LOT and you can really tell as I'm soon going to have to order another copy! It's been tremendously handy when I've been making incense and herbal kits as there's just so much to draw from.

It's a fabulous go to book for just starting out as well as seasoned practitioners who work with herbs as it's filled with helpful information. There's quite a lot you can sink your teeth into.

It's
Pagan Hare
I have found myself creating a special shelf for books like this one, ones that I am always picking up, reading bits, using for research and so forth. When ever you see witchcraft books looking at magical jerbalism, this one will be found near the top of the authors bibliography.

Scott started off writing a small book on magical herbalism and he ended up with so much information he had to write a bigger book! Scott had taken great pains to research and read everything he could find on her lore an
Nancy
Mar 13, 2010 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Originally posted here:http://nancythroughthelookingglass.bl...

The Book is clearly laid out and easy to use, with many different herbs and flowers covered, many common ones and a few herbs I'd never heard of and objects thought of as magical items, like carrots and potatoes. It Gives you the name of the herb with a line drawing of it it's folk names gender planet element and powers, as well as it's magical uses.

I'd recommend the book to anyone with an interest in herbs whether it be magical or n
Michiyo 'jia' Fujiwara
Mar 12, 2013 Michiyo 'jia' Fujiwara rated it really liked it
Yang pasti akan membuat kening ahli Botani berkerut-kerut dengan "keanehan" spesifikasinya, dan gosipnya lagi buku ini ada kaitannya dengan praktek pagan. Benar atau tidak, cukup terhibur juga membacanya..dan seperti inilah sedikit dari ribuan jenis tanaman-tanaman:

Bit
Kacang Mete
Cengkeh
Alpukat
Thora Dorn
Jul 16, 2016 Thora Dorn rated it it was amazing
This book started me on my path to herbalism. So easy to understand and use. I still use it regularly. This is a great beginners book.
Fishface
Feb 07, 2016 Fishface rated it really liked it
A very wide-ranging, illustrated compendium of plants from around the world and their traditional magical uses. Even potatoes.
Lisa Ulibarri
Apr 07, 2015 Lisa Ulibarri rated it it was amazing
For anyone who wants to learn more about the natural world Scott Cunningham is one of the best authors to read.
Sami
Mar 20, 2015 Sami rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
I felt this should have included more of the medicinal properties of the herbs. I bought it thinking that it would. It was still pretty interesting though.
Michael Rosales
Nov 28, 2014 Michael Rosales rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to know more about plants and herbs.
Very informative book on different herbs, plants and flowers, and their physical and spiritual properties.
A. Athanor
Jan 21, 2016 A. Athanor rated it it was amazing
If you're into herbs this is a really good read! A must for herbalists bookshelf!
Helena Richardson
Dec 29, 2015 Helena Richardson rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
A good reference book for herbs but it's a little outdated at this point.
Ryan Mccabe
I thought this book was very insightful. I need to read more of his books!
Tina Kamaka
Oct 27, 2014 Tina Kamaka added it
Shelves: tt-book-s
good reason why we have herbs and should use them to Help heal
Gem Love
Sep 24, 2014 Gem Love rated it it was amazing
Still healing with the knowledge found in this book. I recommend any of Scott Cunningham's Encyclopedias.
  • Cottage Witchery: Natural Magick for Hearth and Home
  • Halloween: Spells, Recipes & Customs
  • Bud, Blossom, & Leaf: The Magical Herb Gardener's Handbook
  • Sabbats: A Witch's Approach to Living the Old Ways
  • Candlemas: Feast of Flames
  • Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft
  • The Witch's Shield: Protection Magick and Psychic Self-Defense
  • The Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells: The Ultimate Reference Book for the Magical Arts
  • Green Witchcraft: Folk Magic, Fairy Lore & Herb Craft
  • Animal Magick the Art of Recognizing and Working with Familiars
  • Midsummer: Magical Celebrations of the Summer Solstice
Scott Douglas Cunningham was the author of dozens of popular books on Wicca and various other alternative religious subjects. Today the name Cunningham is synonymous with natural magic and the magical community. He is recognized today as one of the most influential and revolutionary authors in the field of natural magic.

Scott Cunningham was born at the William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, Michi
More about Scott Cunningham...