The Complete Book of Incense, Oils & Brews

The Complete Book of Incense, Oils & Brews

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  2,760 ratings  ·  51 reviews
One of the secrets of real magic is that it is controlled by the mind. The more things in your ritual to help your mind associate with your goal, the more powerful your ritual may be. Colored candles, scented oils, natural incenses, and more all add to the impact of the magic you wish to do. But how do you know which incense to burn? Is it possible to add scented oils toge...more
Published September 8th 2002 by Llewellyn Publications (first published September 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Book of Incense, Oils & Brews, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Book of Incense, Oils & Brews

Wicca by Scott CunninghamThe Spiral Dance by StarhawkDrawing Down the Moon by Margot AdlerDemons of the Flesh by Nikolas SchreckThe Triumph of the Moon by Ronald Hutton
The Best Pagan Books
6th out of 198 books — 123 voters
Wicca by Scott CunninghamGods of The Nowhere by James TipperThe Complete Book of Incense, Oils & Brews by Scott CunninghamDemons of the Flesh by Nikolas SchreckDrawing Down the Moon by Margot Adler
Magic, and Practice
3rd out of 59 books — 58 voters

More lists with this book...

Dave/Maggie Bean
I seldom review books of this sort, but in this case, I'm compelled to give credit where it's due.
Hocus-pocus aside, many of these concoctions are actually quite pleasantly scented. A sufficiently entrepreneurial individual could use the information to supplement his/her income via cottage industry; hawking "Organic AirWick," (if you will), at craft shows, love-ins, and outpatient rehab clinics.

("Bean, radish, and sprout salad *again*? Aww, jeez! Guess we'd better burn a few of these -- and ope...more
Loona Wynd
The complete book of Incense, Oils, & Brews is a wonderful guide to working with these practices. Like many of his other texts the author Scott Cunningham created a very useful and effective resource for working many different types of magical spells and rituals. This text works great in companion with his Aromatherapy book and his two Herbal Magic books-Herbal Magic and his Magical Herbal encyclopedia or it can be used effectively on its own as its own resource. The text provides a comprehe...more
Keshia
More than just Incense, Oils, & Brews, this book gives the beginner a great foray into the art of aromatherapy, soaps, and sachets. This book is a quick read with more than enough recipes to blend incense, oil, and much more with purpose and intent. Although very informative, ultimately this will wind up on your shelf as a handy reference guide.
Jo M
An excellent resource. But I've found that that is all that this book is: a quick reference. While I enjoy having that at hand I would have rather seen Cunningham dive a bit deeper into the meaning, symbolism, and history of some of the incense/oil combination he provides.
David S
Cunningham gave me the start I needed to begin to understand how to channel energy with herbs and scent. This book is a primer without being too elementary. I highly recommend this book to those whose craft is amplified through scent.
Astral
This text paired with "Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs" has everything to get you started on a path of natural magic (Well, besides the herbs). It is filled with numerous recipes ranging from love tinctures, astral projection incenses, dream teas, protection sachets and everything in between. While there is a wealth of information to be found in the recipes, the most use one will get from this book is from the tables of substitutions and correspondences at the end of the book. Even if...more
Sisoula
Great resource for herbal recipes and correspondences. A few downsides were his repetitiveness around not using synthetics and his slight Wiccan superiority complex. Still a must have for those interested in simple herbal magic.
Eugene Brickman
He gives get recipes in this book about oils and incense. I like how Scott writes as a casual guy and straight forward with you. He does not try to flower or impress you. Just a friend who is sharing his technique.
Ashley
Although the author teaches Wicca, I use this book for the practice of hoodoo. This book is an good resource for anyone starting to make their own oils, incense and powders.
Tinamarie Corbo
Mar 26, 2014 Tinamarie Corbo rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in this area
Recommended to Tinamarie by: Laurie Cabot
a great resource
Aaron Meyer
I got to admit I have a soft spot in my heart for this book. Some of the recipes are pretty good and the tables help out in whipping up something that you need if you can't find it already laid out in the book.
Brad Byers
The copy of this book in our house actually belongs to my partner, Maple.... he is the incense maker of the house. This book have proven to be the wonderful guide and set of instructions for us!

Maple now makes all the incense we use in circle and to date has made a sabbat blend, prosperity blend, house cleansing blend, and more!

Cunningham.......... a timeless hero!
Pamela
This is my absolute favorite witchy ingredient reference book. When I do spellwork, I pick and choose between many different sources, but I always go to Cunningham's first. This book provides recipes for oils, incense, potions, and so much more, along with appendices full of correspondences and information. This is a GREAT resource.
Mathias Gaunitz
Great book for start to learn and to use for reference.
Patricia
The complete Incense, etc. is a more recent read (4 years ago). It offers a thorough guide to making your life better through aromatherapy, gifts of perfume oils, and home remedies alluded to the in Cunningham's herb encyclopedia.
Cora
Admittedly my go to book when formulating magickal "potions and brews" as well as some delicious smelling oil blends. Very happy to have this book in my library. A keeper, for sure!
Shannan Galarneau
Feb 25, 2008 Shannan Galarneau rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: solitaries, newbies and anyone else curious
This book is a great reference to what exactly Wicca is, isn't and what it could be. It is one of those books that is not preachy abut very informative and straightforward.
Rebekah Dressel
Very easy to understand, gives great references, explains substitution and common sense in magic. I also love the resources in the back to find the herbs and oils!
Megan Fox
I have had this book for years, it it so well read you wouldn't believe it. Over the years I have created my own recipes, but this book is still my trusted guide.
Becky
Another great reference book by Cunningham. Like his other ones, this is one is user friendly when looking stuff up, and on how to create and use the recipes.
Dorrie
I would recommend Scott Cunningham's books to anyone who has an interest in wicca. They are always extremely informative but easy to understand.
Valenfore Alestreneon
Cunningham is a classic example of an advanced practitioner of Wortcunning. I saw his DVD back in the day and had to pick this up.
Penelope
This has got pretty much every recipe for incense, oils, etc. that you'd ever want so this is a definite resource must-have, if anything.
Amy
This is an excellent intro in to making your own incense, soap, oils, and other brews. Cunningham is clear and direct in his instruction.
Fostergrants
i use this alongside my aromatherapy books for the oil mixes. a little extra lore behind what i'm making adds a fun dimension for me.
Connie
This is a very good book to enable you to actually make these types of things. I think Scott Cunningham's books are awesome!
Aradia V
I believe this is the best book on the subject out there. I have use it as reference so often its falling apart.
Vintah Montoya
A wonderful resource full of recipes and correspondences. My go-to book for incense and oil inspiration.
Matthew
Thanks, Scott Cunningham. You helped get me through high school with your fascinating recipes. :-)

Meadow
Anoint yourself with astral travel oil before you sleep and perhaps we'll meet on the astral plane!
Goodreads Librari...: Missing Edition 1 16 Apr 21, 2012 10:39PM
  • Grimoire for the Green Witch: A Complete Book of Shadows
  • The Element Encyclopedia of 5000 Spells: The Ultimate Reference Book for the Magical Arts
  • Practical Candleburning Rituals: Spells and Rituals for Every Purpose
  • Moon Magick: Myth & Magic, Crafts & Recipes, Rituals & Spells
  • To Stir a Magick Cauldron: Witch's Guide to Casting and Conjuring (RavenWolf to)
  • The Encyclopedia of Magickal Ingredients: A Wiccan Guide to Spellcasting
  • The Inner Temple of Witchcraft: Magick, Meditation and Psychic Development (Temple of Witchcraft, #1)
  • Wicca: A Year and a Day: 366 Days of Spiritual Practice in the Craft of the Wise
  • The Craft: A Witch's Book of Shadows
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Witchcraft
  • Sabbats: A Witch's Approach to Living the Old Ways
  • Garden Witchery: Magick from the Ground Up
  • Witch Crafting: A Spiritual Guide to Making Magic
  • Candlemas: Feast of Flames
  • The Witches' Goddess
Scott Douglas Cunningham was the author of dozens of popular books on Wicca and various other alternative religious subjects. Today the name Cunningham is synonymous with natural magic and the magical community. He is recognized today as one of the most influential and revolutionary authors in the field of natural magic.

Scott Cunningham was born at the William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, Michi...more
More about Scott Cunningham...
Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner Living Wicca: A Further Guide for the Solitary Practitioner Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs (Llewellyn's Sourcebook Series) (Cunningham's Encyclopedia Series) Earth, Air, Fire & Water: More Techniques of Natural Magic Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Crystal, Gem & Metal Magic