Perfection

Perfection

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  13 reviews

Walter Satterthwait gives his readers a feast of different flavors. His modern-day private-eye series was followed by his historical mysteries. In real life, Lizzie Borden may actually have killed her parents, but Satterthwait turns her into a high-spirited amateur sleuth. Satterthwait's Left Bank in 1920s Paris is alive with artists like Ernest Hemingway and Gertrude Stei
Published February 7th 2006 by St. Martin's Minotaur (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Perfection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perfection

Paul
Actual rating: 2.5 stars.

Enthusiastic friends are always plugging mystery novels, but when I read them my enthusiasm rarely matches theirs. Such is the case with Walter Satterthwait's Perfection, a (to me) box-stock serial killer police procedural with two semi-interesting cops, the standard cast of ancillary characters, and of course the serial killer himself, hiding in plain sight through a contrivance so far-fetched I nearly threw the book across the room when I came to the reveal ... and I w...more
Denise
This book took me surprise. I thought I had it all figured out, so much so that I almost stopped reading it and wow I was off the mark! I felt foolish for having stuck so close to my train of thought I missed the other clues.
At times the book seemed long and drug out with a bit too much detail in places I didn't need it. However in the long run I liked the book because I wasn't as smart as I thought I was.
Maddy

St. Martin's Minotaur
February 15, 2006

Maddy Van Hertbruggen
Review Due: 2/19/06

Walter Satterthwait has written a lot of different kinds of books, most notably the Pinkerton series set in the 1920s and a PI series featuring Joshua Croft. In PERFECTION, Satterthwait tries his hand at a serial killer thriller.

The scene of the crime is horrible,...more
Jon
I read a good deal of Walter Satterthwait 20 years ago, and I very much enjoyed his Joshua Croft series. Several of his historical mysteries were quite inventive too. But this one was a little too over-the-top for me, with a basic concept that just didn't work. The detective team was very appealing, but there has not been a sequel as far as I know.
Michelle
I got this book at the dollar store, and it was well worth the buck, let me tell you. Not surprisingly, he had a controlling mother and that's what's turned him into a serial killer.

Oh sure, blame the mother's for everything. So typical. He woulda gotten along great with Norman Bates.
Mich
total surprise. this book was really good, couldnt put it down. murder/mystery... basic tale.. a sicko fantasizes what the 'perfect' woman should look like, finds 'wibble-wobbles' ie FAT women and 'carves' them to be perfect.
if you like a good thriller.. grab this one!
Sheryl
Gruesome, but well written. I enjoyed this, even though I was grossed out at some points. He did a great job of depicting a monster.

If you like murder mysteries, you'll like this one.
Amanda Ishtayeh
Wow! I wanted to hate this book because it is sooooo gory and bloody and well gruesome but I found myself drawn to it like a train crash. Very good characters with believeable thoughts.
Elaine
This book was one that kept me reading all day. A very unusual serial killer. Probably not a book to be read by people who prefer cozies! Very graphic.
Frankie
Well written and disturbingly gruesome. Even though I figured out what was going on, I enjoyed the suspense and the characters.
Erin O'hagan
Sub-standard writing but enticing enough to make it through to the twist.
Eva Gabler
breathtaking.... with an ever so unepected ending....
Pam
Jan 28, 2008 Pam marked it as to-read
Shelves: florida, mystery
01/28/08 rec via bookmooch
Mary
Mary is currently reading it
Sep 03, 2014
Kaycee
Kaycee added it
Jul 17, 2014
Jenice
Jenice marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Walter Satterthwait (b. 1946) is an author of mysteries and historical fiction. A fan of mystery novels from a young age, he spent high school immersed in the works of Dashiell Hammett and Mickey Spillane. While working as a bartender in New York in the late 1970s, he wrote his first book: an adventure novel, Cocaine Blues (1979), about a drug dealer on the run from a pair of killers.

After his se...more
More about Walter Satterthwait...
Miss Lizzie Escapade Wilde West Masquerade At Ease with the Dead (Joshua Croft, #2)