Start by marking “Perfection” as Want to Read:
Perfection

Perfection

Walter Satterthwait gives his readers a feast of different flavors. His modern-day private-eye series was followed by his historical mysteries. In real life, Lizzie Borden may actually have killed her parents, but Satterthwait turns her into a high-spirited amateur sleuth. Satterthwait's Left Bank in 1920s Paris is alive with artists like Ernest Hemingway and Gertrude Stei
Published February 7th 2006 by St. Martin's Minotaur (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Perfection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perfection

E WesNat
Mar 02, 2017 E WesNat rated it liked it
Books that have taken me over a month to finish: Portal Through a Pond, Here Lies the Librarian, The Unexpected Everything, Three Dark Crowns. Now I am adding Perfection to those books. While I enjoyed a nice portion of this book, I still had issues.

I really liked Fallon. I think he was the most interesting character, with all of his snarky comments and snide attitude. I didn't really feel any connection to any of the other characters. They were there, and that was fine, but I really didn't feel
Paul
Jul 01, 2012 Paul rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Actual rating: 2.5 stars.

Enthusiastic friends are always plugging mystery novels, but when I read them my enthusiasm rarely matches theirs. Such is the case with Walter Satterthwait's Perfection, a (to me) box-stock serial killer police procedural with two semi-interesting cops, the standard cast of ancillary characters, and of course the serial killer himself, hiding in plain sight through a contrivance so far-fetched I nearly threw the book across the room when I came to the reveal ... and I w
Denise
May 26, 2010 Denise rated it liked it
This book took me surprise. I thought I had it all figured out, so much so that I almost stopped reading it and wow I was off the mark! I felt foolish for having stuck so close to my train of thought I missed the other clues.
At times the book seemed long and drug out with a bit too much detail in places I didn't need it. However in the long run I liked the book because I wasn't as smart as I thought I was.
Maddy
Sep 27, 2009 Maddy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2006-reads
RATING: 3.75
PROTAGONIST: Jim Fallon and Sophia Travaskis, police detectives
SETTING: Florida
SERIES: Standalone

Walter Satterthwait has written a lot of different kinds of books, most notably the Pinkerton series set in the 1920s and a PI series featuring Joshua Croft. In PERFECTION, Satterthwait tries his hand at a serial killer thriller.

The scene of the crime is horrible, and Sarasota Police Detective Sophia Tregaskis is worried that she will embarrass herself in front of her much more experienc
M
Jul 24, 2016 M rated it it was ok
The quest for Perfection is what drives the serial killer at the center of Walter Satterthwait's thriller. When an overweight woman is found filleted in Florida, it is the start of a series of grotesque slayings that rock the small town of St. Anselm. Assigned to the case are grizzled NYC veteran Jim Fallon and self-conscious but smart Sophia Tregaskis. As both detectives race against time - and an on rushing hurricane - the killer looks to take them both off his trail forever. Satterthwait's no ...more
Kay Tee
Jun 29, 2015 Kay Tee rated it it was ok
An interesting read with nice suspense & mystery although I would have much preferred the written perspective to be in the mindset of the serial killer, rather than the officers. The whole written detective protocol on procedure in determining the killer was quite a SNORE-fest most of those details written could have been avoided to assuage the reader from mere boredom. In all honesty, I felt like I was back in my Criminal Justice class trying to learn procedure. The short chapters written i ...more
Chantel
Mar 19, 2015 Chantel rated it really liked it
I originally read this book about 4 years ago, I fell in love immediately . I recently reread Perfection and all of the feels came crashing back instantly . Even though I knew what the outcome was I sat on the edge of my seat until the very last page. I loved this book and could not put it down, all of the twists and turns, the ups and downs! LORD I enjoyed this gem and can you believe I found it at a dollar store!
Jon
Aug 27, 2013 Jon rated it it was ok
I read a good deal of Walter Satterthwait 20 years ago, and I very much enjoyed his Joshua Croft series. Several of his historical mysteries were quite inventive too. But this one was a little too over-the-top for me, with a basic concept that just didn't work. The detective team was very appealing, but there has not been a sequel as far as I know.
Michelle
Aug 12, 2009 Michelle rated it really liked it
I got this book at the dollar store, and it was well worth the buck, let me tell you. Not surprisingly, he had a controlling mother and that's what's turned him into a serial killer.

Oh sure, blame the mother's for everything. So typical. He woulda gotten along great with Norman Bates.
Mich
Mar 13, 2010 Mich rated it really liked it
total surprise. this book was really good, couldnt put it down. murder/mystery... basic tale.. a sicko fantasizes what the 'perfect' woman should look like, finds 'wibble-wobbles' ie FAT women and 'carves' them to be perfect.
if you like a good thriller.. grab this one!
Elaine
Jun 11, 2009 Elaine rated it it was amazing
This book was one that kept me reading all day. A very unusual serial killer. Probably not a book to be read by people who prefer cozies! Very graphic.
Amanda Ishtayeh
Aug 26, 2009 Amanda Ishtayeh rated it really liked it
Wow! I wanted to hate this book because it is sooooo gory and bloody and well gruesome but I found myself drawn to it like a train crash. Very good characters with believeable thoughts.
Shaindee
Sep 12, 2015 Shaindee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: suspense, mystery
OMG! So not what I expected! The ending caught me by surprise big time! Awesome storyline and characters!!! Loved it :)
Sheryl
Jul 28, 2009 Sheryl rated it it was amazing
Gruesome, but well written. I enjoyed this, even though I was grossed out at some points. He did a great job of depicting a monster.

If you like murder mysteries, you'll like this one.
Frankie
Jun 12, 2012 Frankie rated it really liked it
Well written and disturbingly gruesome. Even though I figured out what was going on, I enjoyed the suspense and the characters.
Kristien
Kristien rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2016
Amanda Alaimo
Amanda Alaimo rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2015
Stefanie
Stefanie rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2011
StrawhatXD
StrawhatXD rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2015
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it it was ok
Dec 08, 2010
Wiebke
Wiebke rated it it was ok
Dec 09, 2013
Yoshi
Yoshi rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2012
Ines
Ines rated it liked it
May 12, 2012
Patchouli
Patchouli rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2013
Kristen
Kristen rated it really liked it
May 04, 2009
Jule
Jule rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2012
Chris Mclean
Chris Mclean rated it it was ok
Jun 23, 2011
Maria Scherrer
Maria Scherrer rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2011
Sam Schreiber
Sam Schreiber rated it did not like it
Mar 08, 2012
Ari
Ari rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2014
Walter Satterthwait (b. 1946) is an author of mysteries and historical fiction. A fan of mystery novels from a young age, he spent high school immersed in the works of Dashiell Hammett and Mickey Spillane. While working as a bartender in New York in the late 1970s, he wrote his first book: an adventure novel, Cocaine Blues (1979), about a drug dealer on the run from a pair of killers.

After his se
More about Walter Satterthwait...