Start by marking “K is for Knifeball: An Alphabet of Terrible Advice” as Want to Read:
K is for Knifeball: An Alphabet of Terrible Advice

K is for Knifeball: An Alphabet of Terrible Advice

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  392 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
From the authors of the breakout bestseller All my friends are dead. (more than 175,000 copies sold) and in the humorous vein of Go the F**k to Sleep comes a laugh-out-loud collection of bad advice that turns the children's alphabet book on its head. Adorable illustrated characters lead readers down a path of poor decision-making, and alphabetical, rhyming couplets offer t ...more
Published September 26th 2012 by Chronicle Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about K is for Knifeball, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about K is for Knifeball

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark HaddonMiss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom RiggsGo the Fuck to Sleep by Adam MansbachThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own M... by Catherynne M. Valente
I Picked It Up Because of the Title
266th out of 994 books — 771 voters
Go the Fuck to Sleep by Adam MansbachAll My Friends Are Dead by Avery MonsenSh*tty Mom by Mary Ann ZoellnerYou Have to Fucking Eat by Adam MansbachRussian Optimism by Ben Rosenfeld
Fake Children's Books
6th out of 6 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Diana
Apr 02, 2013 Diana rated it really liked it
Hilarious starting with the Waiver. An excerpt from the waiver:

"By reading this, you agree that you will read this book, laugh at the jokes, buy a few copies for your friends, write a glowing review online, and, most importantly, not hurt yourself or someone else or both.

And if you do hurt yourself, you won't get a lawyer. And if you do get a lawyer, rest assured that we'll get 12 lawyers, all of them inside a giant coat, talking at the same time."
Anna (Yoda Is My Spirit Animal)
What is with this trend of humorous books, that are "made" for children (but not really)? The authors of this book also wrote one called All My Friends Are Dead. I kept having their other book recommended to me and was told constantly how funny it was - so, I figured I'd give this one a shot. After all, any book titled "K is for Knifeball," must be read and enjoyed with all the funniness the aforesaid title entails. Except for the fact that while, yes, this book made me smile a little bit, it a ...more
Coyora Dokusho
I laughed at the illustrations, they were really funny!!! and the advice... the advice was so bad... so very, very bad... >.< but funny!!! and that's the important thing~
Jeannie
Nov 08, 2015 Jeannie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Terribly short but darkly amusing for teens and adults, "K Is For Knifeball" is the alphabet that you do not want to teach to your child. "A is for apple. Eat one every day. And then wash it down with your mom's Cabernet . . . P is for push when you're waiting in line. Do you want to move forward? Just aim for the spine." These twisted little poems will put a smile on your macabre face, but please avoid making them your tot's bedtime stories.
Melody
Mar 29, 2014 Melody rated it liked it
This was terribly cute but just a skosh too self-aware of the cute. Transgressive but arch. The illustrations were cute. I kept comparing it to the brilliant All My Friends Are Dead, which is maybe not fair. I laughed out loud several times while reading it, and shared a couple of pages with the stranger at the bookstore.
Melanti
I've had All My Friends Are Dead recommended to me several times, but my library doesn't have it and I'm not interested enough to shell out cash to read it.

This seemed like a nice compromise and while it's amusing, I'm not overly impressed.
Melissa
Sep 18, 2014 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, humor
My husband picked this one off a display shelf at our local library, and he absolutely loved it. It's definitely young adult male humor. Me, not so much :P As a mockery of all children's alphabet books, it was pretty good, and the illustrations were funny.
Stefan Percy
Aug 09, 2014 Stefan Percy rated it liked it
Shelves: humour, fiction, comedy
Good for a few chuckles... Just silly humour. A funny waiver starts off the book, and the illustrations that go along with the blurbs are pretty good.

If the book takes you more than 10 minutes to read, you're thinking too much! Enjoy!
Eric Kimberly
Jul 05, 2015 Eric Kimberly rated it really liked it
I really would have liked to see more from the drifter. What becomes of him?

I do enjoy the development of Grandma throughout the book though. Sad to see her die, but nonetheless the author picked a good letter for her death.

Would recommend!
★ℕłℂØℓҾ★ (Nix)
Oct 09, 2014 ★ℕłℂØℓҾ★ (Nix) rated it really liked it
This was pretty funny :) Definitely gonna try to keep it away from my impressionable son, though! With my luck, he'd want to do the whole alphabet...and his father would just be cheering him on!
O'Livia Haynes
May 24, 2015 O'Livia Haynes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny!

It's entertaining! Not exactly the bedtime story I was trying to find for my son, but I know some people who are gonna crack up when I share this with them.
Terralyn
May 07, 2014 Terralyn rated it it was amazing
This reminds me of Shel Silverstein's book, Uncle Shelby's Book of ABZ's. Hilarious!!!
If you have a weak bladder...read this book in the bathroom.
Also, don't skip the disclaimer!
Kelly
Dec 04, 2014 Kelly rated it it was amazing
I bought this for my oldest son because I knew we would all get a kick out of it. We read it aloud together as a family and the book had us all rolling and laughing!
calvin cavagnaro
Hah!

This book was absolutely hilarious! G is for gramma. Remind her that she'll be dead soon. 5/5 Splendiforois. Simply amazing
Ian Linster
It was okay...

It was really short.
The jokes were kind of stupid, I cringed as I read it.

It's an ok one minute read.
Coyora Dokusho
Mar 09, 2014 Coyora Dokusho rated it liked it
the advice in this book was terrible... just... terrible... but funny!!!! I lol'd. The illustrations were particularly hilarious.
Lisa Butler
Jan 08, 2016 Lisa Butler rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
This is a fake children's book that makes me laugh until I cry every time I read it.
Serenity
Aug 12, 2015 Serenity rated it liked it
Picked up at the thrift store today. My boyfriend and I had a lot of fun reading it
Chris L Rowan
May 10, 2015 Chris L Rowan rated it it was amazing
This adult alphabet book is great. Not for kids, but definitely for kids at heart.
Mr. Noah Sturdevant
Apr 17, 2015 Mr. Noah Sturdevant rated it liked it
This started out in a clever way, but I think there could have been more follow-through.
Kimberly Costa
Feb 01, 2016 Kimberly Costa rated it really liked it
Hilarious quick read. Amazing for getting over a reading slump
Andy
Aug 07, 2015 Andy rated it it was amazing
This book doesn't have terrible advice, this book has AWESOME advice!
Amber
Dec 30, 2014 Amber rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE (except for youngsters...)!
Recommended to Amber by: Molly
What did I think? I think I need a knifeball. And a rootbeer float.
Margaret
There is a waiver that it suggested we sign at the beginning, because none of this hilarious advice is supposed to be followed. The waiver itself descends into the silliness that becomes the norm for the rest of this very short picture book.

By the same author and illustrator as All My Friends are Dead, adorable art is paired with sometimes rhyming lines that suggest that inviting drifters into the house is recommended and that a raccoon's frothy mouth is just from root beer, not rabies.

It's a c
Karen
Feb 03, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: just-for-fun
Fun to read; illustrations are a hoot.
Ike Ndukwe
Shelves: dewey-shelved
Funny bad advice!
Shivangi Yadav
Mar 11, 2014 Shivangi Yadav rated it really liked it
The dedication got to me. I cracked up. And then there was the waiver. The author's are wickedly funny and the book is a great showcase of their dark humor. Just remember to keep this far, far away from kids and impressionable minds.
Hello
Jan 30, 2014 Hello rated it it was amazing
great book!
  • Blue Christmas Balls: A Laugh Out Loud Comedy Novella
  • Saving Grace (Beyond Time, #3)
  • The Customer Is Not Always Right: Hilarious and Horrific Tales of Customers Gone Wrong
  • Ten Little Zombies: A Love Story
  • The Adventures of Lily and Ava
  • Zombies Hate Stuff
  • Boo: Little Dog in the Big City
  • F in Retakes: Even More Test Paper Blunders
  • The Divine Secrets of the Whoopie Pie Sisters 2 (Whoopie Pie Sisters #2)
  • Leah's Choice (Hannah's Daughters, #4)
  • Sad Monsters: Growling on the Outside, Crying on the Inside
  • Clockwork Dolls
  • While I'm Still Myself
  • Ask a Ninja Presents The Ninja Handbook: This Book Looks Forward to Killing You Soon
  • Me without You
  • Ophelia Joined the Group Maidens Who Don't Float: Classic Lit Signs on to Facebook
  • The Advice Girl (Dalara, #1)
  • The History of the World According to Facebook
1977411
Avery Monsen is an actor, artist, and writer who lives in New York. Right now — whenever you're reading this — he's probably eating cereal.
More about Avery Monsen...