Start by marking “K is for Knifeball: An Alphabet of Terrible Advice” as Want to Read:
K is for Knifeball: An Alphabet of Terrible Advice

K is for Knifeball: An Alphabet of Terrible Advice

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  241 ratings  ·  37 reviews
From the authors of the breakout bestseller All my friends are dead. (more than 175,000 copies sold) and in the humorous vein of Go the F**k to Sleep comes a laugh-out-loud collection of bad advice that turns the children's alphabet book on its head. Adorable illustrated characters lead readers down a path of poor decision-making, and alphabetical, rhyming couplets offer t ...more
Published September 26th 2012 by Chronicle Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about K is for Knifeball, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about K is for Knifeball

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark HaddonMiss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom RiggsGo the Fuck to Sleep by Adam MansbachThe Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own M... by Catherynne M. ValenteThe Book Thief by Markus Zusak
I Picked It Up Because of the Title
234th out of 971 books — 639 voters
Go the Fuck to Sleep by Adam MansbachSh*tty Mom by Mary Ann ZoellnerYou Have to Fucking Eat by Adam MansbachRussian Optimism by Ben RosenfeldAll My Friends Are Dead by Avery Monsen
Fake Children's Books
6th out of 6 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Diana
Hilarious starting with the Waiver. An excerpt from the waiver:

"By reading this, you agree that you will read this book, laugh at the jokes, buy a few copies for your friends, write a glowing review online, and, most importantly, not hurt yourself or someone else or both.

And if you do hurt yourself, you won't get a lawyer. And if you do get a lawyer, rest assured that we'll get 12 lawyers, all of them inside a giant coat, talking at the same time."
Coyora Dokusho
I laughed at the illustrations, they were really funny!!! and the advice... the advice was so bad... so very, very bad... >.< but funny!!! and that's the important thing~
Gary
Oct 01, 2012 Gary rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
I would have loved more knifeball, but the drifter makes up for it.
Anthony
Hilarious, but obviously very short.
Amber
Oct 11, 2012 Amber marked it as to-read
So really want to read this book!
Melody
This was terribly cute but just a skosh too self-aware of the cute. Transgressive but arch. The illustrations were cute. I kept comparing it to the brilliant All My Friends Are Dead, which is maybe not fair. I laughed out loud several times while reading it, and shared a couple of pages with the stranger at the bookstore.
Melanti
I've had All My Friends Are Dead recommended to me several times, but my library doesn't have it and I'm not interested enough to shell out cash to read it.

This seemed like a nice compromise and while it's amusing, I'm not overly impressed.
Melissa
My husband picked this one off a display shelf at our local library, and he absolutely loved it. It's definitely young adult male humor. Me, not so much :P As a mockery of all children's alphabet books, it was pretty good, and the illustrations were funny.
Stefan Percy
Good for a few chuckles... Just silly humour. A funny waiver starts off the book, and the illustrations that go along with the blurbs are pretty good.

If the book takes you more than 10 minutes to read, you're thinking too much! Enjoy!
★ℕłℂØℓҾ★
This was pretty funny :) Definitely gonna try to keep it away from my impressionable son, though! With my luck, he'd want to do the whole alphabet...and his father would just be cheering him on!
Terralyn Gauthier
This reminds me of Shel Silverstein's book, Uncle Shelby's Book of ABZ's. Hilarious!!!
If you have a weak bladder...read this book in the bathroom.
Also, don't skip the disclaimer!
Kelly
I bought this for my oldest son because I knew we would all get a kick out of it. We read it aloud together as a family and the book had us all rolling and laughing!
Ian Linster
It was okay...

It was really short.
The jokes were kind of stupid, I cringed as I read it.

It's an ok one minute read.
Coyora Dokusho
the advice in this book was terrible... just... terrible... but funny!!!! I lol'd. The illustrations were particularly hilarious.
Amber
Dec 30, 2014 Amber rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE (except for youngsters...)!
Recommended to Amber by: Molly
What did I think? I think I need a knifeball. And a rootbeer float.
Margaret
There is a waiver that it suggested we sign at the beginning, because none of this hilarious advice is supposed to be followed. The waiver itself descends into the silliness that becomes the norm for the rest of this very short picture book.

By the same author and illustrator as All My Friends are Dead, adorable art is paired with sometimes rhyming lines that suggest that inviting drifters into the house is recommended and that a raccoon's frothy mouth is just from root beer, not rabies.

It's a c
Ike Ndukwe
humorous coffee table material
Shivangi Yadav
The dedication got to me. I cracked up. And then there was the waiver. The author's are wickedly funny and the book is a great showcase of their dark humor. Just remember to keep this far, far away from kids and impressionable minds.
Hello
great book!
Lucy
Tihle autoři se mi vážně líbí :D
Sheehan
Xmas gift, very funny, I laughed out loud and then thought where to hide it so our daughter never reads!
Brad
Read this one at the bookstore tonight and want it for my collection. I laughed out loud many a time, especially with the drifter, the 3rd page of eating, opening things with your teeth, and the raccoon. I absolutely loved it.

As for reading it with a kid? Yeah, probably not. Unless they're old enough to know better. Then it would be awesome.
Bonnie
What a hilarious read!!
My daughter-in-law-to-be received it as a gift and read it to us all on Christmas day.

Jory John takes the alphabet and with each letter gives the worst advise imaginable with amazing pictures depicting each one.

I would not recommend this for a young child but the teen category seems to fit.
Lavabearian
Kari
Absurdly brilliant and darkly comic. A fast, fun read.
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
**Won this book on Goodreads giveway**

This book was pretty freaking funny! Its a good gag gift for a parent or just something funny to amuse yourself. I liked it for what it was and enjoyed reading it!
Sarai Lillie
Sep 22, 2013 Sarai Lillie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of absurdity
I was in a store on Kirkwood when I spotted this book. I read it out loud to my friends and we all died laughing.
Great book, hilarious and fun to read. Oh and Q is for quit.
Dahlia
This Is my favorite book ever.
And rarely can someone find a book that is their absolute favorite.
This book should be worth gold.
Skye Lang
Awful advice but I do love a wacky alphabet book.
Josh
Super Funny and Witty. When you think you know what is coming next you don't. D is definitely the best letter.
  • Ten Little Zombies: A Love Story
  • Saving Grace (Beyond Time, #3)
  • The Customer Is Not Always Right: Hilarious and Horrific Tales of Customers Gone Wrong
  • The Invasion
  • Leah's Choice (Hannah's Daughters, #4)
  • The Divine Secrets of the Whoopie Pie Sisters (Whoopie Pie Sisters #2)
  • The Adventures of Lily and Ava
  • Sad Monsters: Growling on the Outside, Crying on the Inside
  • Very British Problems: Making Life Awkward for Ourselves, One Rainy Day at a Time
  • F for Effort: More of the Very Best Totally Wrong Test Answers
  • Ophelia Joined the Group Maidens Who Don't Float: Classic Lit Signs on to Facebook
  • The Facebook Diet: 50 Funny Signs of Facebook Addiction and Ways to Unplug with a Digital Detox
  • Triton
  • Dead Deep (Vampirates, #1.5)
  • Me without You
  • Things I Want to Punch in the Face
  • The Dagger in the Desk (Lockwood & Co., #1.5)
  • Tide (Sarah Midnight, #2)
1977411
Avery Monsen is an actor, artist, and writer who lives in New York. Right now — whenever you're reading this — he's probably eating cereal.
More about Avery Monsen...
All My Friends Are Dead All My Friends Are Still Dead I Feel Relatively Neutral About New York Pirate's Log: A Handbook for Aspiring Swashbucklers All My Friends are Dead 2014 Wall Calendar