Start by marking “Ivy and Bean Make the Rules (Ivy and Bean, #9)” as Want to Read:
Ivy and Bean Make the Rules (Ivy and Bean, #9)

Ivy and Bean Make the Rules (Ivy & Bean #9)

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  689 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Bean's older sister, Nancy, is going to Girl Power 4-Ever Camp, where she will do Crafts and Music and First Aid and other secret things that Bean will never know about because girls have to be eleven to go to Girl Power 4-Ever Camp. Bean doesn't care. She doesn't want to go to camp. She wouldn't go even if they begged her. So ha. So ha ha. So-wait a second Bean and Ivy ca ...more
Published September 5th 2012 by Chronicle Books (first published July 13th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Ivy and Bean Make the Rules, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ivy and Bean Make the Rules

Carmen
May 12, 2014 Carmen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Parents; children
Shelves: children, fiction
Bean: small, dark, mischievous with a penchant for bad words and practical jokes. Ivy: taller, redhead, soft-spoken with a flare for using big words and reading constantly. Together: unstoppable.

This book is so good. The first 5-star I've given to an I&B book.

It all starts when Nancy, Bean's older sister, is going to Girl Power 4 Ever Camp. She is 11. Since Been is only 7, she can't go. The only camp available to 7-year-olds is lame Puppet Fun! camp.

Bean plans on building a tree house. When
Marya
I've noticed that many series for girls tend to feature a token collection: girls from different backgrounds come together to make one girl supergroup. And no, I'm not referring to race or socioeconomic class, but rather high school clique, a la the jocks, the nerds, etc. What's always puzzled me is what the girls have in common. They all have amazing adventures, but it seems their only function is to collaborate on these adventure projects. In real life, the jocks want to play sports, the nerds ...more
Cindy Hudson
Ivy and Bean fans can rejoice at the new title in the series, Ivy + Bean Make the Rules.

Bean thinks it’s not fair that her sister Nancy gets to go to Girl Power 4-Ever summer camp while she is only old enough to sign up for Puppet Fun! At seven, she’s not a baby anymore, and she wishes others would realize that too.

But Bean doesn’t want to just stay home moping around while Nancy has fun all day, so she’s excited when her mom says she’s old enough to walk to the park with Ivy. That’s when the fu
Leslie
Ivy + Bean is a series for young grade-schoolers that I just cannot resist following, even now that Natalya has “outgrown” them. And yet, who was that blue-haired young lady giggling from behind a book and coming up to me to set it down with a satisfied sigh? “Oh, mom, the zombie-part was awesome. And the Komodo-catcher…; and the…” I love Ivy + Bean.*

Feeling a bit sorry for the younger daughter who WILL NOT go to Puppet Fun! the only camp for her age-group, Bean’s mom thinks Bean is finally old
Books Kids Like
Even though Bean loudly proclaims that she doesn't have time to go to some silly camp during spring break, a part of her wishes that she could spend the week doing crafts, studying nature, learning first aid, dance, drama, and social skills at Nancy's Girl Power-4-Ever camp. Bean, with Ivy's help, tries to build a tree house. When that fails, the girls make a tent. Then, they invent Camp Flaming Arrow and put up their tent in the park where all the other camps are taking place. The first day, th ...more
Barbara
When Bean's older sister Nancy heads off to a female empowerment day camp, Bean wishes she could do the same. Her best friend Ivy convinces her that they don't need to wait until they're old enough for the camp; instead, they will be in charge of their own camp at the park. While things start off very slowly, by the time the book finishes, the two have attracted many other children and have hunted Komodo dragons, led a tap dancing troupe, bandaged themselves and wandered about the park as zombie ...more
Mariellen Matz
Bean's older sister is going to Girl Power 4-Ever camp but Bean can't go because she is not old enough. Bean's mother can tell she is jealous of her sister and after talking to Ivy's mom the mothers decide the two girls are old enough to walk to monkey park together with out adult supervision. Bean and Ivy decide to start their own camp, Camp Flaming arrow. As the week goes on the girls gather quite a few campers and have the week of their lives!

A few activities you can do with this book is ask
4.5/5 stars

4/5 stars from me

5/5 from my 7 year old niece.

My niece enjoys Ivy and Bean. I've read a number of the books from the series with her.

Ivy and Bean are fun kids. And their adventures are always fun to read about.

In this story Bean's older sister Nancy (who is also very fun to read about) goes to camp. So Ivy and Bean make their own camp.

It was a cute read. And if you like Ivy and Bean books then you'll enjoy this one too.
Cari Young
This is the perfect book for second and third grade girls. Ivy and Bean create their own fun, crazy summer camp, and nearby kids randomly join in. No adult structure, just kids playing outside together, running around, making tents out of blankets, pretending to be zombies or Komodo dragons. A great choice for summer reading, to inspire a child's own creative fun.
Donald
My favorite so far! Ivy and Bean start their own summer camp and they are a success! With their fertile imaginations, the "traditional" aspects of other camps turn in to something much more fun! My daughter and I both loved the twist at the end, when the girls take down their tent! :-)
We have our fingers crossed for a #10!
Karol
This was a fun little romp. The story is about Bean being to young to attend the girls day camp with Nancy. Ivy and Bean come up with a plan and create their own fun filled day camp. I was impressed that Nancy gave the girls kudos for a job well done. It showed that big sisters can appreciate younger sisters.
Loraena
One of my favorite Ivy & Bean books.
Ms. Yingling
This reminds me a little of Haywood's Betsy series. Would have enjoyed this in early elementary school.
Maggie
This book is way above my reading level but I still loved it
Christina
My favorite so far.
Irene
Feb 21, 2013 Irene rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Okay for first-graders
Shelves: children
If Goodreads allowed for 1/2 stars, this one would have gotten 3 1/2 stars. This book ties with Book 3 (Ivy + Bean Break the Fossil Record) as my favorite of the series so far. (We have only Books 6 and 7 left to read.)

Bean isn't old enough to attend the week-long girls camp that Nancy is going to, so she and Ivy decide to make their own camp. The two girls show initiative, creativity, and leadership!

I like that this book introduces readers to a real-life historical figure, Boudicca, the queen
Terry
Young Reader Reaction: Ivy and Bean are always welcome at our house, and our daughter loves reading - and laughing - about their adventures and perspectives on life.

Adult Reader Reaction: “Camp Flaming Arrow” is such an apropos camp name for Bean and Ivy … plenty of visual, plenty of irony. This is a book for the nonconformist conformists. The kids who, as a class, rebel against the dress code and all wear black! The story is funny, with laugh-out-loud moments, but also poignant. I loved the par
Regemma Mismawn
bean sees her sister singing "girls are cool girls are greate girls have the power to cre-ate!" bean suddenly just gets really annoyed when its time to drop her sister nancy to camp. after she drops her off she tells ivy about her sister nancy, and where she was going. as usual,ivy came up with a solution.TO MAKE THEIR OWN CAMP! and they started to name it ivy came up with camp nentherland bean came up with camp flaming arrow of course they couldnt have done both so they did eenie meenie minee m ...more
Georgia Shreeve
I love this book . I like the two friends. I am 9 years old and I think kids my age will love this book
Cindi P.
This book had some creative and clever problem solving and people were treated well.
Hazel
I thought it was a real page turner. I've read it 4 times!
Kiran
I like camp flaming arrow
Georgina
i loved it. nancy the big sister of bean was going to camp. but bean wanted to go camp too but the camp was for older kids. so she made her own camp with ivy. camp flaming arrow. she had a piece of paper that said what they did at the camp of nancy's, so they did the same thing at their camp. their camp became very popular. too little kids who they met in the park, and kids from their school went to the camp. i want to go their camp!
Christy
Shelli
Another fantastic book from the Ivy and Bean Collection! Ivy and Bean are not old enough to get into camp "Girl Power 4-Ever!" and they are too old and uninterested in attending "Camp Puppet Fun." Instead they create their own camp, appointing themselves camp counselors. A super fun read that kids off all ages can read and giggle over.
Eileen Lazala
well........................
beans older sister Nancy is going to summer camp 4-ever and she will do arts and crafes, music and ect. so that means no more Nancy or her bossing ivy and bean around. sooooooooooooooooo that means they can make there own rules
I liked this book because it shows kids do have freedom

Erin
I laughed at things on this book my kids didn't 't get, but they loved it too. Make your own summer camp is a hilarious premise. This story could have been longer and my kids would have stayed with it, but I guess making it short is good for young readers. Keep 'em coming Annie Barrows!
Christina
I read this with my 8 year old daughter. I was thrilled with the book. The girls Ivy and Bean are fun and silly. It is age appropriate. The most important thing is that they are not sassy or disrespectful like so many main characters for similar book series are. We will read more.
Eleanor
I have to say out of all the ivy and bean books this one is my favorite and the ivy and bean and the newspaper one
I just love all the ideas they come up with but I'm kind of mad that they lie to their "camp members"! But still I rate it good!
katsok
I love the Ivy and Bean series. In this installment Bean's sister, Nancy, is headed to a girls' camp. Bean and Ivy decide to create their own camp modeled after Nancy's. What follows is a camp only Ivy and Bean could have dreamed up.
  • Fancy Nancy: Nancy Clancy, Super Sleuth
  • Clementine and the Family Meeting (Clementine, #5)
  • Two for One (Bink & Gollie, #2)
  • Lulu Walks the Dogs
  • Marty McGuire Digs Worms!
  • Stella Batts Needs a New Name
  • Rabbit and Robot: The Sleepover
  • The Legend of Diamond Lil (J.J. Tully Mystery #2)
  • Lulu and the Duck in the Park
  • Alvin Ho: Allergic to Babies, Burglars, and Other Bumps in the Night
  • Junie B., First Grader: Turkeys We Have Loved and Eaten (and Other Thankful Stuff) (Junie B. Jones, #28)
  • Judy Moody and the Bad Luck Charm (Judy Moody, #11)
  • Kelsey Green, Reading Queen
  • Amelia Bedelia Unleashed (Amelia Bedelia Chapter Books #2)
  • Violet Mackerel's Brilliant Plot (Violet Mackerel, #1)
  • Trill Changes Her Tune (Tales of Pixie Hollow, #22)
  • Freckleface Strawberry and the Dodgeball Bully
Annie grew up in Northern California, and graduated from the University of California at Berkeley, with a degree in Medieval History. Unable to find a job in the middle ages, she decided upon a career as an editor, eventually landing at Chronicle Books in San Francisco, where she was in charge of "all the books that nobody in their right mind would publish." After earning an M.F.A. in Creative Wri ...more
More about Annie Barrows...

Ivy & Bean (10 books)
  • Ivy and Bean (Ivy and Bean, #1)
  • Ivy and Bean and the Ghost That Had to Go (Ivy and Bean, #2)
  • Ivy and Bean Break the Fossil Record (Ivy and Bean, #3)
  • Ivy and Bean Take Care of the Babysitter (Ivy and Bean, #4)
  • Ivy and Bean: Bound to be Bad (Ivy and Bean, #5)
  • Ivy and Bean: Doomed to Dance (Ivy and Bean, #6)
  • Ivy and Bean: What's the Big Idea? (Ivy and Bean, #7)
  • Ivy and Bean: No News Is Good News (Ivy and Bean, #8)
  • Ivy and Bean Take the Case (Ivy and Bean, #10)
Ivy and Bean (Ivy and Bean, #1) Ivy and Bean Break the Fossil Record (Ivy and Bean, #3) Ivy and Bean Take Care of the Babysitter (Ivy and Bean, #4) The Magic Half Ivy and Bean and the Ghost That Had to Go (Ivy and Bean, #2)

“If you had duct tape, you were prepared for anything.” 4 likes