The Tiger's Egg (The Wednesday Tales, #2)

The Tiger's Egg (The Wednesday Tales #2)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  387 ratings  ·  43 reviews
When the Circus Bolsillo lands in Larde, orphan Miles Wednesday and his angel-friend Little join its wondrous and chaotic show. They soon fall in with Doctor Tau-Tau, a mysterious and bumbling fortune-teller who once knew Miles's parents and claims Miles's father is very much alive. Miles sets out in secret with Doctor Tau-Tau, but to his surprise the search for his father...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Julie Andrews Collection

To ask other readers questions about The Tiger's Egg, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tiger's Egg

Amalia
Finally a sequel I can enjoy! I often find that the second book in a series is quite a bit darker than its predecessor. Think Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets or Beyond the Valley of Thorns, even Icefire but not Dragon's Breath. The Tiger's Egg holds onto the magic of The Palace of Laughter: The Wednesday Tales No. 1, moves the plot forward and generally remains happy and light in spirit.

That being said, Miles has some pretty intense encounters and gets involved with some seriously nasty...more
Claire
The Circus rolls into town, now run by the Bolsillo Brothers who are trying to restore the townships robbed of joy by the "Great Cortado" they enlist the help of Little who can create joyful restorative music even if she cannot sing the Song anymore because of her selfless act in The Palace of Laughter when she saved Mile from the Null whose name is mysteriously missing from the Song.
In this book we find Miles and Little traveling with the Circus now run by the three clownish Bosillo brothers....more
Jgudmann3
The Great Cortado escapes the hospital, where he has been imprisoned for a long time. He wants Selim(Miles) dead, because he ruined his circus. Miles Wednesday and his little sister, who is an angel and she is 400 years old, join the circus Bolsillo. They meet a fortune teller who gives Miles hints about his father, so he wants to find out what happened to his dad and mom.
More predictable than the first and at least one very important detail from the first book was incorrectly stated in this book. ***spoiler alert*** (Little sang her own name in the first book in order to save Miles from the null but in this book the author off-handedly writes that she sang the nulls own name. Singing her name is what caused her to lose her wings and be held on earth...so ??? Other it being inconsistent, it didn't really affect the story.) Will save further judgement until I have...more
Mikaela
I liked book number 2. The whole plot is very well thought out. It is obvious that before the author penned book 1 he had the whole series mapped out as the second book flowed well and used the same characters flawlessly. The villian is back. The adventures continue. And it leaves me ready to read Tales No. 3. Which I have from the library already and have read 2 chapters. Oh the suspense! It doesn't start well for poor Miles Wednesday! At least I know this is a children's book and it's bound to...more
Kathy
Apr 19, 2008 Kathy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teens and adults who though Harry Potter was too happy.
This fantastical junior book has some disturbingly dark themes. At least as intense as Harry Potter, but this author isn't as good as Rowling as leavening it with hope, somehow. Also, the main character, a boy named Miles Wednesday, who seemed just a resourceful, street-smart kid in "The Palace of Laughter," now turns out to have magical, possibly evil powers.
Proceed cautiously with this book. I'm going to try to get it out of the house before my 8-year-old notices. Luckily, I read ahead to the...more
Janice
When I first started this book, I really thought I wouldn't read the third book, I do have to remind myself that I'm not exactly the target audience for the series and the parts that are a little slow for me might be really exciting for the younger reader! But in the end, (after an exciting twist that I hadn't predicted!) I really enjoyed the book and have to read the last installment so I can find out what happens!!!
Karen
Read this on my son's recommendation. I thought this one was fine -- I wasn't particularly drawn to read it, but it was entertaining enough. My son (age 9), however, and his best friend, both found this one a huge step up in excitement from the first in the series. They would both give this 5 stars, whereas they'd give the first one a 3 or 4.
Katrina
Nov 25, 2008 Katrina rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kids 10-14 into fantasy or circuses
Shelves: juvenile, fantasy
Sequel to Palace of Laughter. I enjoyed this book, possibly even more than Palace of Laughter because I've gotten to know the characters better and look forward to hearing more about them. Like the mix of dark plot and humorous characters. Definitely something I would suggest to others.
Kathryn
Being the sequel to, "The Palace of Laughter," I knew it would be a fabulous book! After Miles and Little meet a Bengal tiger, they are off on ANOTHER adventure. They meet the Bolsillo Brothers along the way, and learn how to cope with being only with eachother! This is a "must read", so go pick one up!
Riki
Dec 23, 2007 Riki rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who love fantasy and pictures in their head when reading
This book was very good because it put pictures in my head and I could imagine myself in the book. Also, I would think, and think, and think about the book, and what may happen next, and if I were in the situations described. I enjoyed it and I hope if you choose to read this book, you do too.
Kiersten
A fun story loaded with funny characters and unexpected twists. However, I haven't read the first book, so I found it very confusing and can't evaluate the plot development very well. Judging from the rave reviews the series is getting, however, that just might have to change...
I'm in a young readers' kick. This one and its predecessor are sweet stories with interesting sub-plots. There is a lot in there about self-sacrifice and finding yourself. I also love that the main character's stuffed bear comes to life!
Alexandra
This book was really fascinating, as the main character starts to learn about his past, but there didn't seem to be a whole lot of action. I was going to do a book report on this book, but because of the lack of action I had to switch books.
Misty
A little slower than the first in the series. I enjoyed this very much. E(6) lost interest about 2/3 way through and I finished it on my own. But he still wanted to know what happened in the story. I will probably finish reading the series.
Unusual and wonderful characters, fast action, unpredicatable twists, clever writing. Just what's needed when the genre becomes too easy to anticipate, and characters tend toward stock. Fun, but with depth. Plus, there's a tiger. . .
Alyssa
this is an amazing sequal to the palace of laughter and i can't wait to read the next book. this book shows curiosity, deception, evil, love, hatred, friendship and talent all in an exciting and nerve racking novel.
Christopher Farrell
what little genius books these are - fun and totally enchanting, miles, the teddy and the angel again set off on their next big adventure.. a total page turner and so different from anything else i had read - loved it
Melina
A fun and easy read. The plot didn't grab me as much as in The Palace of Laughter, but the descriptions and conversations are so great that it is worth it anyway.
Janie Hepler
An excellent second installment in the adventures of Miles Wednesday. I particularly love the writing. Each new chapter starts out wonderfully. A joy to read.
Autumn Dawson
I didn't like this one as much as the first book, as expected with most sequels, but it was still a well written book and very interesting.
Heather
This was a nice follow up to the 1st book. I love the characters, especially Little. She kinda reminds me of my little miss Viv.
Dana
Sep 03, 2008 Dana rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Dana by: Kalena
I LOVE this book! It's th sequel to The Palace Of Laughter. Read that one too. If you have any brains at all, you would read this book!
Annika
It was really good! At the end I said, "No! I dont want it to end!" that was during class so everyone heard it!
Lildoglover97
i learned that a lot of things happen in your life and as my grandpa always says"shit happens doll baby."
Traci
This book took way to long. The last 50 pages were the best. Maybe I was just not in the mood for it.
Rebekah Macias
my all time favourite children's book. i recommend it to everyone. young and old. 'nuff said...
Katie Jane
This series is unlike anything I've ever read. You never know what is going happen!
Aubrey
The Tiger's Egg was not as good as the first book, but well-worth reading.
Amanda
Good. Somehow not as good as the first. Still, some fine comic moments.
  • The Mousehunter (Mousehunter Trilogy, #1)
  • Tomorrow's Magic (Omnibus)
  • The Immortal Fire (Cronus Chronicles, #3)
  • The Chaos King (Wall and the Wing, #2)
  • Blimpo: The Third Circle of Heck
  • The Lost Barkscrolls: The Edge Chronicles
  • The Rise and Fall of Mount Majestic
  • The Book of Story Beginnings
  • The Very Ordered Existence of Merilee Marvelous
  • Under Town (Edgar & Ellen, #3)
  • Ottoline at Sea. Chris Riddell
  • Theodosia and the Last Pharaoh (Theodosia Throckmorton, #4)
  • Into the Dark (Echo Falls, #3)
  • Meridian v. 1: Flying Solo
  • Shadow Falling (Avatars, #2)
  • Under the Green Hill
  • The Weavers of Saramyr (Braided Path, #1)
  • The Monsters of Morley Manor: A Madcap Adventure
Jon Berkeley was born and raised in Dublin, Ireland and says he went to a school where "you were only allowed go to the bathroom if you asked in Irish." His love of art led him to study at the National College of Art and Design. From there he went to work as an illustrator in Hong Kong, Barcelona, London and Sydney.

Jon worked as an illustrator for twenty years before turning his hand to writing....more
More about Jon Berkeley...
The Palace of Laughter (The Wednesday Tales, #1) The Lightning Key (The Wednesday Tales, #3) Chopsticks The Hidden Boy The Tiger's Egg (Wednesday Tales (Quality))