How to Be a Good Dog

How to Be a Good Dog

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Bobo really wants to be a good dog. It's just that being good takes so much effort. When his owner finally has enough and sends him packing, it's silent Cat who misses him the most. Armed with a how-to book and quiet determination, Cat begins to instruct Bobo in proper dog etiquette. Shake, fetch, and roll over all go well. But can Cat really turn this incorrigible canine...more
Published March 7th 2006 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens (first published 2006)

Jessica Moden
Grade Level: Kindergarten
This book is aimed towards younger kids because the font is larger and the pictures are simple and all labeled. Bobo is a dog who wants nothing more than to be a good dog but often times find him stuck outside in trouble. The cat misses him and wants him to be allowed back in the house, so she teaches him tricks to be a good dog like sit, roll over, and lay down and so on. Bobo’s owner comes home from the grocery store, and although Bobo made a mess as she walking in, s...more
Laurie
Patty
Illustrator: Gail Page
Age: 4-8
Summary: A dog has been put out of the house for misbehaving and the house cat decides to teach him everything he needs to know about being a good dog.
Applications/Uses: Entertainment, if a student/child is getting a dog it might be a good idea to read it so they know what to expect a "good dog" to be able to do?
Themes/Connections: Relationship between cat/dog, humor
Awards: None
Victoria Laporte
Bobo wants to be a good dog for his master. He tries very hard but has trouble so he asks the cat to teach him some tricks before his master comes home. This is a funny read aloud. I enjoyed the book because i never read anything about a cat teaching an old dog new tricks. I also enjoyed that colorful illustrations. Lastly, this is a great book to use when teaching students about characters.
Judy
Jun 05, 2013 Judy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Students in grades kindergarten through 3
This book has a good concept--the cat helps the dog learn to be good so the dog can stay with the family permanently. The dog is drawn as a lovable fellow, too. For me, though, the book as a whole doesn't work, because of some of the background colors, which seem to me to have a distinctly grayish cast and make the book feel flat and lifeless.
Elizabeth S
Some parts were really quite funny. A cat teaching a dog to sit? Heel? Funny. But then you add in the confusion of heel-means-to-follow and heel-means-where-foot-and-let-join, and the joke is over the head of the preschooler. And the jokes were a little inconsistent for me. So, overall, okay.
Ralf Urbach
this was a great story that both of my children enjoyed, i think that this book had great and very colorful illustrations. I felt that it was a good book to help with kids expanding their imagination and lessons of getting along with others especially brothers and sisters.
Jackie
Cute illustrations, but a story about a crazy, mixed-up, odd family made up of an obnoxious cat (who has no name), a endearing dog named Bobo, and woman who wears a bird on her head...hence her name, Mrs. Birdhead.
Kelly
This picture book was really well done. It has simple language and short sentences, not to mention great art. I really liked all the one-word bits, like Sit! Stay! and so on. I think kids love that!
Rebecca
We've gotten this story from the library in the past, but it looks so appealing on the outside that we sometimes pick it up again. It's a cute story and holds the children's interest.
Jenny
Okay book, kind of funny but didn't love it. Does a fun job showing different tricks dogs can learn to do. The interaction between the dog and cat was pretty cute.
Heidi
Oct 25, 2009 Heidi marked it as to-read
we're all about dogs right now, got Carson recently, new golden retriever...cute book.
Melanie
Mar 14, 2013 Melanie added it
Shelves: stories-funny
It is about being a pet, but very funny and I put the other bob book in funny, so . . .
The Library Lady
I always appreciate a book that shows how utterly superior cats are to dogs :)
Lindsey
Have kids act out how to be a good dog
Joanna Farley
Joanna Farley marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2013
Janelle Phinney
Janelle Phinney marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2013