Start by marking “How to Be a Good Dog” as Want to Read:
How to Be a Good Dog

How to Be a Good Dog

3.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  88 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Bobo really wants to be a good dog. It's just that being good takes so much effort. When his owner finally has enough and sends him packing, it's silent Cat who misses him the most. Armed with a how-to book and quiet determination, Cat begins to instruct Bobo in proper dog etiquette. Shake, fetch, and roll over all go well. But can Cat really turn this incorrigible canine ...more
Published March 7th 2006 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about How to Be a Good Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Be a Good Dog

Jessica Moden
Grade Level: Kindergarten
This book is aimed towards younger kids because the font is larger and the pictures are simple and all labeled. Bobo is a dog who wants nothing more than to be a good dog but often times find him stuck outside in trouble. The cat misses him and wants him to be allowed back in the house, so she teaches him tricks to be a good dog like sit, roll over, and lay down and so on. Bobo’s owner comes home from the grocery store, and although Bobo made a mess as she walking in, s
Kristine Hansen
I got this book because I have a new puppy who desperately needs to become a Good Dog. (Please note the caps). So I read this to him, but he chewed on the cover throughout and slobbered on the pictures. I don't think he got the point.

Of course the point was that this dog in the book isn't a good dog at all, so perhaps this wasn't the best choice, as it could well be that Jack (my puppy) wasn't going to learn anything constructive to begin with. But then the book got a bit better by the end, tho
Emily Petering
Jan 31, 2016 Emily Petering rated it liked it
This book was a cute little story about a dog learning how to become a "good dog". The author used simple, easy to understand language that most children could understand. The illustrations were not realistic, but I think that almost made it better. To me, it seemed as if the story was inside a child's mind because of the way the illustrator illustrated the book. This was a feel-good book.

If I were to use this in a classroom, I could use it for a few different lessons. This book had a lesson abo
Laurie
Feb 04, 2014 Laurie rated it did not like it
Sassy School Counselor
I used this to introduce the idea of how to be a good student.
Check out the discussion questions here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_6T...
Patty
Aug 01, 2010 Patty rated it did not like it
Shelves: reading-record
Illustrator: Gail Page
Age: 4-8
Summary: A dog has been put out of the house for misbehaving and the house cat decides to teach him everything he needs to know about being a good dog.
Applications/Uses: Entertainment, if a student/child is getting a dog it might be a good idea to read it so they know what to expect a "good dog" to be able to do?
Themes/Connections: Relationship between cat/dog, humor
Awards: None
Judy
Jun 05, 2013 Judy rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Students in grades kindergarten through 3
This book has a good concept--the cat helps the dog learn to be good so the dog can stay with the family permanently. The dog is drawn as a lovable fellow, too. For me, though, the book as a whole doesn't work, because of some of the background colors, which seem to me to have a distinctly grayish cast and make the book feel flat and lifeless.
Elizabeth S
Feb 16, 2012 Elizabeth S rated it it was ok
Shelves: f-picture
Some parts were really quite funny. A cat teaching a dog to sit? Heel? Funny. But then you add in the confusion of heel-means-to-follow and heel-means-where-foot-and-let-join, and the joke is over the head of the preschooler. And the jokes were a little inconsistent for me. So, overall, okay.
Ralf Urbach
Oct 12, 2013 Ralf Urbach rated it liked it
Shelves: child-choice
this was a great story that both of my children enjoyed, i think that this book had great and very colorful illustrations. I felt that it was a good book to help with kids expanding their imagination and lessons of getting along with others especially brothers and sisters.
Jackie
Cute illustrations, but a story about a crazy, mixed-up, odd family made up of an obnoxious cat (who has no name), a endearing dog named Bobo, and woman who wears a bird on her head...hence her name, Mrs. Birdhead.
Kelly
Jan 19, 2009 Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, picture-book
This picture book was really well done. It has simple language and short sentences, not to mention great art. I really liked all the one-word bits, like Sit! Stay! and so on. I think kids love that!
Rebecca
Apr 21, 2008 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
We've gotten this story from the library in the past, but it looks so appealing on the outside that we sometimes pick it up again. It's a cute story and holds the children's interest.
Jenny
Jul 06, 2008 Jenny rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Okay book, kind of funny but didn't love it. Does a fun job showing different tricks dogs can learn to do. The interaction between the dog and cat was pretty cute.
Heidi
Oct 25, 2009 Heidi marked it as to-read
we're all about dogs right now, got Carson recently, new golden retriever...cute book.
Melanie
Mar 14, 2013 Melanie added it
Shelves: stories-funny
It is about being a pet, but very funny and I put the other bob book in funny, so . . .
The Library Lady
Nov 24, 2008 The Library Lady rated it liked it
I always appreciate a book that shows how utterly superior cats are to dogs :)
Lindsey
Have kids act out how to be a good dog
Scott Calabrese Barton
Scott Calabrese Barton rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2016
Joelle Wong
Joelle Wong marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Jennifer Foeller
Jennifer Foeller rated it liked it
May 27, 2016
L.K. Sukany
L.K. Sukany rated it liked it
May 17, 2016
Kairi In Florida
Kairi In Florida rated it liked it
May 14, 2016
Eric Coulbourne
Eric Coulbourne rated it really liked it
May 10, 2016
Jeanette
Jeanette rated it really liked it
May 14, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
William Toth
William Toth rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2016