Start by marking “What All Good Dogs Should Know: The Sensible Way to Train” as Want to Read:
What All Good Dogs Should Know: The Sensible Way to Train

What All Good Dogs Should Know: The Sensible Way to Train

Those who love their dogs will find a wealth of clear, precise and sensible instructions here for teaching their canine companions to be the ideal pet.
Published April 15th 1991 by Howell Books (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about What All Good Dogs Should Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What All Good Dogs Should Know

Kristilyn
Aug 03, 2016 Kristilyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My dogs are very smart. Well, okay ... that's not entirely true. I have one very smart dog, Cooper, who can learn something new in a matter of minutes, and two somewhat smart dogs, Bailey and Gracie, who take a little while longer. In fact, one of them, Bailey, will only do smart things when she feels like it. I'm always left to wonder if it's the dog, or if it's the way that I've trained the dog. In most cases, it's the way the dog has been trained.

I had picked up Jack Volhard's book, What All
Learning With Passion
Jun 10, 2016 Learning With Passion rated it it was amazing
I haven't put these practices to use yet, as we don't have our puppy just yet, but the book was very to the point and informative. The instructions seem easy enough to implement and as a reference I can easily find the section I need to focus on when the time comes.
Amy
Oct 29, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it
I will update this review when we have gotten some training to do. The book was a quick read with simple and clearly explained techniques. It seems a little on the simple side but if it works, then I guess you don't need more than that!
Linda
Mar 28, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it
This dog training book is pretty much perfect. It is very user-friendly in that you can easily turn right to the issue you are having and get a training method that you can immediately apply to you and your dog's situation. For knowledgable dog owners, this book is a good refresher for training tips that you might be neglecting to do. For those new to dog ownership, it provides a great foundation of the basics and good explanations of why dogs behave the way they do.
Stacy Allbritton
Mar 01, 2013 Stacy Allbritton rated it it was amazing
Before I adopted a shelter dog, I read this book so that I would be educated on how to successfully integrate our dog into the family. The step-by-step instructions and illustrations were easy to follow. I'm happy to report that after only one week, our dog sleeps in his kennel overnight without crying, is house trained, and is on his way to learning simple commands.
JP
May 18, 2013 JP rated it liked it
This concise guide to dog training emphasizes the behavioral goals rather than specific tactics. The result is a flexible, no-nonsense approach to training that the reader can adapt to their particular dog and situation.
Lindsay
Jun 13, 2008 Lindsay rated it really liked it
I'm not sure that Magee is a better dog because of this book, but it was a quick read with good tips. I have the come when called chapter bookmarked. Guess I still need to work on that part.
Cindy
Jul 11, 2016 Cindy rated it liked it
Shelves: dogs
It is a good basic book for training your dog to be a good pet.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Yasameen
Yasameen rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2016
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Vernon Harmon
Vernon Harmon marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Nina
Nina rated it really liked it
May 12, 2016
Ranjeet Kumar
Ranjeet Kumar rated it really liked it
May 09, 2016
Angela Cabral
Angela Cabral marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Karen Lively
Karen Lively rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2016
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Marty
Marty marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2015
Sue Dzurko-Nadasky
Sue Dzurko-Nadasky marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2015
Renée
Renée added it
Sep 15, 2015
Shai
Shai is currently reading it
Aug 28, 2015
Caroline Wallis
Caroline Wallis marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Laurie
Laurie rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2015
Laura is currently reading it
May 15, 2015
Stephanie McGarrah
Stephanie McGarrah marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015