Start by marking “Good Dog, Carl” as Want to Read:
Good Dog, Carl

Good Dog, Carl (Good Dog, Carl #1)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  5,624 ratings  ·  220 reviews
Available in paperback for the first time, the modern classic that introduced the beloved baby-sitting rottweiler to the world.
Published August 1st 1997 by Aladdin (first published September 1st 1985)

A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce CameronIf I Should Die Before My Dog -- by Joe ConnollyThe Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinMarley and Me by John GroganThe Call of the Wild by Jack London
Dog Lovers
24th out of 361 books — 418 voters

More lists with this book...

Gundula
May 29, 2014 Gundula rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who like wordless picture books
After simply adoring some of the later books in the Carl the Rottweiler series, I have to admit that I was and am a bit underwhelmed by the first book of the series, Good Dog, Carl. I think that in general, it is a sweet (albeit for some parents, perhaps a touch unnerving) story, full of fun, whimsy and mischief. However, neither the story nor the illustrations have managed to completely charm me like I was recently "wowed" by Carl's Summer Vacation and Carl's Snowy Afternoon. The illustrations ...more
Dolly
Jul 31, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
I hate to admit it, but I couldn't help but cringe as we read this book together. Leaving a dog alone with a baby? I know this is just a funny almost-wordless book and our girls were terrific at making up their own story as we looked at the humorous scenes, but I just couldn't shake the feeling of dread as the baby makes a mess and gets into dangerous situations. Funny, but in a warped way.

Still, the dog was adorable and I loved the retro feel of the book. We enjoyed reading this book together,
Jackie "the Librarian"
Aug 12, 2008 Jackie "the Librarian" rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: dog lovers with children
Okay, DO NOT go thinking that all dogs that look like Carl are safe, because Carl, the dog in this book, is a Rottweiler, albeit a very well trained one.

Do NOT leave your baby alone in the care of your pet dog. Even a well-trained one. And especially not in the care of some random Rottweiler. Rottweilers are a very powerful and potentially dangerous breed. Don't even go near a Rottweiler you don't know, let alone put your child in the care of one. This is a complete and utter fantasy. Got that?
Ellinor
I usually don't like books without words but this one is definitely an exception. I really loved it! The pictures are very beautiful and you can "read" the book without having to think what the story is.
And now I finally know what Nana from Peter Pan is doing all day!
Jim Crocker
Wonderful story. I read this to Max every night, and he loves it.

My old dog, Shenga (aka, Bubie)looked just like Carl. Some guy ran up and went,
"oh, look! It's Carl!" I, of course, thought he'd lost his mind, not his dog. Then he explained the whole thing to me. And I went, "Oh, cool." And got the hell outta there as fast as possible.

Now that I've read the book -- it's a fast read -- I'm hooked.

Max rates it Five Barks!

Woof!

P.S. I found this book in the FREE bin at the library. Imagine that??
Ann
I read this to kids ages two through nine, and they all LOVED it. We laughed and laughed at the adventures Carl and the baby have together, and talked about how moms shouldn't really leave their babies with dogs, etc. The pictures are lovely and capture the tone perfectly, without resorting to cutesy. Although Carl on the cover is the cutest picture ever!
Whitney Taylor
Good Dog, Carl is such a cute book! The different adventures Carl and the baby go on throughout the day made it probably one of the babies favorite memories with the Carl. The relationship Carl has with the family is one that everyone should have with their pets.

Text to Self- I relate to this book in a of couple ways. Now obviously my mom never left me home with Yogi while I was growing up. That would be just crazy and unacceptable. I don't think Yogi and I would go on half of the adventures tha
Elena Hitch
Good Dog, Carl follows the story of a dog that is left to watch after a baby when a mother has to go out for a little while. The story is nice because Carl acts like a human throughout the book and clearly loves the baby. Throughout the day, Carl and the baby do different activities such as play dress up, slide down the laundry chute, and dance. Carl even makes the baby a lunch. Lunch is very messy so Carl gives the baby and bath and cleans up the house before the mother returns, which is a very ...more
Jamie
A fun book that works as an imaginative activity with your kids. The book shows of a dog taking after a toddler while the mother is away. He gives the boy rides, food, a bath, plays with him etc.
I went through this book with my 2 younger brothers. Since the book's story is through illustrations and not so much through words, I let them each take a turn interpreting the pictures, telling the story, then I went ahead and gave them my version of what everything meant. we had a great time. The artw
Cheryl
My sons and I owned this and read it often when they, and it, were new. I think, upon reflection, that if I'd had access to a library, to more books, it may not have shone so brightly in comparison.
---------------
Re-read July 2013, confirmed my above thoughts. I have now been made aware of the controversy, but I don't think this book is anything more than a fantasy. I'm not even sure why it's so popular, even now. I've heard some of the sequels are better, but I'm afraid I have no interest in se
Madison Hays
In the story Good Dog, Carl, Carl is left in charge of a baby while the mother is out running errands. Throughout the story, the baby and Carl do numerous activities such as playing dress up, dance, and making lunch together. This wordless story is cute, simple and a bit mischievous.

The illustrations in this story are very life-life, giving a sense of reality to the story. The detail of the characters are very advanced, making for a more developed story. The pictures are bold and really capture
Katie Hanrahan
What really goes on when parents are not at home? Readers find out in Good Dog, Carl by Alexandra Day. A young mother leaves the house and tells her Rottweiler that he is in charge of looking after her baby. The baby and the dog make their own fun while she is gone. They go sliding, swimming, and dancing among other things. Everything will be alright as long as Carl has the baby back in the crib before the return of his owner.

This story is told in all pictures, aside from two sentences spoken by
Crystal Marcos
Jul 12, 2011 Crystal Marcos rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: wordless book lovers, animal lovers, dog lovers
This book made me laugh out loud although at times I found myself thinking, I would never leave my baby at home alone with only a dog to take care of her. (Being a new mom fresh in my mind). It is a bit unrealistic, but great for the imagination of a child. I think anyone who likes animals and children would enjoy this virtually wordless picture book. I enjoyed the illustrations and will read other Carl books.
Deena Lernor
Good Dog, Carl is a story about the bond between a baby and his dog. Carl and his best friend have the house to themselves when the mother leaves for a short while. While the mother is gone Carl helped the baby get out of his crib to start their journey for the day. Carl and the baby go bounce on the beds, they get dressed up in the mirrors and they eat everything out of the fridge. Carl then bathes the baby and gets him ready for a nap in enough time for the owner to not notice the mischief the ...more
Allie Tinnes
Text-to-Self: This book reminds me of my dogs growing up. I had two, and although they weren't as big as the dog in this story and never watched me while my mom was gone, they were still a big part of my life. They were always there to greet me when I would get home from school, they were in our family pictures, and were always there to cuddle at night.

Text-to-Text: This book reminds me of another children's book, Clifford. The owner of the dog in this story was very close to their dog as well.
Margaret Henderson
Good Dog, Carl is a touching, yet very unrealistic story. The illustrations allow for a variety of told stories. Personally I am not a big fan of wordless books, however I found that this one did a good job of telling the story without the words. Very easy to understand no matter what the age level. It is very touching to see that the dog cares for the baby and that they have such a great relationship but it is very unrealistic! The author does a good job presenting everyday activities such as p ...more
Ellie
As always, the pictures are lovely. I've become very fond of Carl the dog but find the other books in series more interesting. However, once you've adopted Carl as your book pet, all contributions to the series are welcome and this one is certainly likable.
Fibersian
This is a wordless book that is structured in clear sequence. Carl the dog babysits the baby. He takes care of a day's worth of activities for baby.

Children love to tell this story through the pictures. As the adult reader with the book it provides fantastic interactive conversation as all discuss the possible options of activities in the story. Is the baby fishing or bathing in the fish tank? See Carl give baby a bath later to discover what was most likely the case.

Children practice narrative
Jackie
Oh my! The shenanigans that go on when mom has stepped out! Mom has errands and she trusts, Carl, the lovable big oaf of a dog to watch the baby when she is away. But, what mom doesn't know, won't hurt her, I guess(?). Carl and baby play dress-up, go for a ride down the laundry chute, go 'swimming, dance, have a snack, clean up, and finally, wait for mom's arrival back home.

All is what it seemed at the beginning of the nearly-wordless story...mom praises Carl for a job well done (if she only kn
June
I love reading this book over and over again. Mom really likes this book, too. I just wish Lucy was as fun as Carl.
Wendylou Biggs
Love this book ... am always on the lookout for young children so I have an excuse to gift a copy ...
Hyrum
The secret lives of large dogs and the children they protect (clearly a title that was considered, yet dropped due to the size of the front cover). The lack of text (except the first page) is wonderful to spark the imagination of children and/or the individual reading the book to children. My children like this book, but I have one big complaint - Who leaves their baby home alone with a dog? I mean, I understand a Mother's need to have some alone time, but to leave a dog in charge of a baby seem ...more
Lauren
I lowered my earlier rating because I got tired of this book really quickly. The paintings are still very sweet, but it gets annoying to have to keep ad libbing the story.

Ok, I know this book only has a few words and it's for very young children, but it's one of the sweetest books ever.

It tells the story of a rottweiler who is told to watch the baby while the mother goes out for a bit, certainly not a great parenting suggestion, but the basis for a very cute story. Carl and the baby get into al
Katelyn
1. This is a wordless book

2. This book illustrates a story about a baby being cared for by the trusted family dog, Carl. The baby spends a few hours making messes, dancing, and swimming in the fish tank while Carl babysits him. Each page contains timeless illustrations that allow readers to make up the words as they go along.

3. A.) The illustrations are accurate because they tell a story, the are arranged in an organized fashion that portrays routines which are relatable to children.

B.) The b
Katlyn Campbell
Genre: Wordless
Summary: This has been one of my sons favorite books since he was born.It takes you on adventure with a baby boy and his dog Carl. Mothe r leaves Carl and the baby at home while she goes out to run a quick errand. While she is out they journey around the house together having fun in every way. When Mother returns baby and Carl are just as she left them.
Critique:
a. The illustrations are the most outstanding part in this work.
b. The illustrations in this book are wonderful. They tru
Kelley
Critique- Picture Book/Wordless

A mother leaves her Rottweiler, Carl, in charge of watching the family baby while she runs out. This story depicts the mischief that Carl and the baby get into while the mother is out. A.) The composition of the illustrations keep the story focused on the two main characters. B.) The illustrator does a wonderful job of keeping the background images to a minimum allowing the reader to focus on the two main characters. C.) On one page the illustrator consolidates mul
Marshall
Nov 03, 2008 Marshall added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Evil dogs
Allison
Sep 03, 2011 Allison rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Toddlers and up
Recommended to Allison by: 1001BYMRBYGU
Shelves: 1001-cbymrbygu
Okay, in Peter Pan when we discover that the children's nanny is a dog, we're surprised but heck, it was the 1800s and she was an Old English Sheep Dog and wears a bonnet. Carl looks to be a Rottweiler. On the cover he has a big grin on his face. But, all I'm thinking is, if Mom is late getting home, Carl's gonna eat that baby. *Disclaimer: I am NOT a dog person, I am a CAT person BUT I wouldn't leave my infant in the care of my cat either.

However, if I put aside the bad and unfair reputation th
Colby
This is a very good book to read and look at the pictures. It is about this dog, Carl and a baby running around the house causing a bunch of mischief while the mother is away. I find it very amusing that the mother leaves the house with the baby inside, asking the dog to take care of the baby. It is amusing to look at all the crazy things that they do and how they work together to do certain things. Like when they get into the fridge, Carl is getting the bread while the baby is getting the butte ...more
  • Time Flies
  • You Can't Take a Balloon into the Metropolitan Museum
  • Thomas The Tank Engine: Thomas Collection
  • The Elephant and the Bad Baby
  • Free Fall
Alexandra Day is the pseudonym for Sandra Louise Woodward Darling. She is the author of Good Dog, Carl and the rest of the beloved Carl books, including Carl Goes Shopping, Carl’s Christmas, Carl’s Birthday and Carl’s Snowy Afternoon. Darling was born in 1941 in Cincinnati, Ohio, to a large and close-knit family. Painting was a popular family recreation, and almost every family excursion included ...more
More about Alexandra Day...
Carl's Christmas Carl Goes Shopping Carl's Afternoon in the Park Carl's Birthday Carl's Masquerade