Start by marking “The Katar Legacy” as Want to Read:
The Katar Legacy

The Katar Legacy

3.5  ·  Rating Details ·  2 Ratings  ·  1 Review
The Katar Legacy is the first in a series. The Katar are the ruling elite in a world where technology does not exist for two key reasons: iron is quite rare and there are no fossil fuels. There is what we might call magic, which is fueled in part with ka (similar to the ancient Egyptian concept of soul energy) and in part with qenar, a fuel that can be mined. Book one ...more
Published February 8th 2012 by New Libri Press (first published January 3rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Katar Legacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Katar Legacy

Randy Smith
Nov 19, 2016 Randy Smith rated it it was ok
Done up as a true Greek tragedy so if you like sad endings this is the book for you. It truly had a bad and somewhat confusing ending and I would definitely classify this as tragedy story. The writing isn't so bad and this is why I gave it two stars and not just one, it just had too many issues like many of the smaller plot lines going no were and just seem to disappear.
Naturalbri (Bri Wignall)
Sep 11, 2014 Naturalbri (Bri Wignall) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished, loved-it
The Story

When your world is turmoiled by a war that has too many sides to count, you often want to stay out of the picture. That is what Tsom plans to do. He is a small time thief and though the rumours of the daemons puts fear into most - he is more concerned with not getting caught. Getting caught would mean an encounter with the Katar.

However, it seems the world has a different plan for Tsom. Not only can he not avoid becoming part of the struggle, but he finds himself in the centre, with pr
Maxine
Nov 02, 2014 Maxine rated it liked it
Tsom is a young pickpocket in a world ruled by the five families of the Katar whose power comes from the rings they wear. When Tsom accidentally steals one of these rings, he is forced to go on the run. Soon, though, as he meets members of the rebellion, he discovers he has powers of his own that may make him the saviour they have all been looking for. Unfortunately, his power comes with a cost and, unless he learns to control it, he may not be able to stay alive long enough to succeed.

The Katar
Maria Beltrami
Evidently the first episode of a series, if it were not for the open-ended this novel would be a great stand alone. The elements of the story are widely recognizable and traceable to their source (I think that the author, like me, is fan of Farmer), but the excellent description of the characters and the interesting creation of the world in which they move can put in the background this feeling of "already heard."
Some slowness in some parts.
Thank Smith Publicity and Netgalley for providing me wi
The TBR Pile *Book review site*
Full Review: http://thetbrpile.weebly.com/1/post/2...

This was surprisingly good. The beginning seemed a little confusing at first but once I had sorted out who was who and what went where I was well away! The descriptions of the different worlds and races were rich and vivid. At times I felt like I was there riding along with Tsom and Shara. Tsom was a believable lead, learning about his new life and powers. His heartache at the loss of his friends was heartbreaking. The war scenes were detailed
The Haunted Reading Room {Cthulhu Down the Chimney Tonight}
I totally LOVED this fascinating fantasy! Indeed, I want to read it again right away! The author's touch is truly magical, and suspension of disbelief is instantaneous. The imagery is sensuous, in the original definition: it plays vividly on all our senses, so that we see, smell, feel, hear, taste, as do the characters, who are also vividly described. Author Tobin Loshento has such a special way with words--I want a series!:)
It's not uncommon to describe a book as "unputdownable," but THE KATAR
Jenn S.
May 30, 2014 Jenn S. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like the cover on this one, which is what initially attracted me to this book. I feel the writing is solid with well done world building and vivid descriptions. The characters have a nice feel for them with appropriate strengths for the more head smart characters. The plot has a bit of a rough start but then evens out and actually keeps a good pace. Overall this is a good entertaining read with an author showing future potential. I received an evaluation copy in exchange for my honest ...more
Andrew Hunkins
Dec 13, 2015 Andrew Hunkins rated it really liked it
Some really great world building. The characters come to life out of a detailed history, richly told, that supports the conflict. A great blend of sci-fi and fantasy. I look forward to the next book in the series.
James Lynam
James Lynam rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2014
Donna Roye
Donna Roye rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2015
Stephanie Brown
Stephanie Brown rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2015
Jacinta Doyle somers
Jacinta Doyle somers rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2016
Lucas Barbknecht
Lucas Barbknecht rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2014
Erinn M
Erinn M rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2014
Pandauric
Pandauric rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2016
Paul Teller
Paul Teller rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2014
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2013
Taylor
Taylor rated it it was ok
May 19, 2014
James
James rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2014
Debra Borys
Debra Borys marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2012
M-dawg
M-dawg marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2012
Kristine Victoria
Kristine Victoria marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2012
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
May 12, 2012
Chris Bails
Chris Bails marked it as to-read
May 21, 2012
Ann Keller
Ann Keller marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2012
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2013
Jeshka
Jeshka marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Monideepa Auddy
Monideepa Auddy is currently reading it
Jun 08, 2014
Christopher Corbett
Christopher Corbett marked it as to-read
Vicky
Vicky marked it as to-read
Frederick Rotzien
Frederick Rotzien marked it as to-read
Vykki
Vykki marked it as to-read
Callie
Callie marked it as to-read
J
J marked it as to-read
Christina Borgoyn
Christina Borgoyn marked it as to-read
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Melinda
Melinda marked it as to-read
Merrill
Merrill marked it as to-read
SARIT
SARIT marked it as to-read
Gary Blair
Gary Blair marked it as to-read
Cathrine
Cathrine marked it as to-read
Heather Schwandner
Heather Schwandner marked it as to-read
Joel
Joel marked it as to-read
Debbie Carnes
Debbie Carnes marked it as to-read
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
  • Virtual Immortality
  • Holy War
  • Of Sea and Cloud
  • The Other Lamb
  • The Artful (Shadows of the City, #1)
  • The Backwash of War: The Human Wreckage of the Battlefield as Witnessed by an American Hospital Nurse
  • The Spirit and the Skull
  • The Runestone Incident (The Incident Series, #2)
  • Lamentation
  • Arab Jazz
  • Dark is the Sun
  • The Charismatics (The Charismatics, #1)
  • The House on the Lagoon
  • The Witch And Other Tales Re-Told
  • The 7th Woman (Paris Homicide)
  • How to Ruin a Queen: Marie Antoinette and the Diamond Necklace Affair
  • The Case of the Toxic Spell Dump
  • Dead in the West
A midwest boy--raised in Minnesota--Tobin grew up in Minneapolis, but spent as much of his summers on the edge of the Boundary Waters Wilderness Canoe area as possible,with stacks of library books on "vacation loan."

Despite being tainted by degrees ranging from electrical and computer engineering, to international studies, Tobin settled on writing and finished and MFA in creative writing.

Passions
More about Tobin Loshento...