Start by marking “Blinky Bill” as Want to Read:
Blinky Bill

Blinky Bill (Blinky Bill)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  1,591 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Originally published in 1939, this is a collection of tales about Blinky Bill, a mischievous little koala. Contains Blinky Bill, Blinky Bill Grows Up, and Blinky Bill and Nutsy.
Published October 3rd 1990 by Angus & Robertson (first published 1939)

To ask other readers questions about Blinky Bill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blinky Bill

The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCulloughTomorrow, When the War Began by John MarsdenCloudstreet by Tim WintonA Town Like Alice by Nevil ShutePicnic at Hanging Rock by Joan Lindsay
Best Books Set in Australia
44th out of 566 books — 349 voters
Possum Magic by Mem FoxDiary of a Wombat by Jackie FrenchAnimalia by Graeme BaseWhere is the Green Sheep? by Mem FoxWhere the Forest Meets the Sea by Jeannie Baker
Best Australian literature for children
22nd out of 282 books — 137 voters

More lists with this book...

Remember reading these as a child! Loved them very much
Katische Haberfield
Very sad to say that this childhood classic is not to be a classic for my children. We stopped at p 138. I don't usually let the kids stop reading a book part way through, however, they honestly didn't like reading it and found it boring. I was disappointed as the movie was coming out last holidays and I had wanted to read it before we went to the movie, but that proved to be no further motivation. The movie, was nice but lacklustre, and did not provide additional incentive to finish.
I loved to watch the animation series of Blinky Bill when I was a kid. The book isn't quite as funny as the TV show but it is really worth reading anyway. It has a slightly different focus - at least at the beginning. A lot is told of the danger the koalos and the other animals are living in. Kids can really learn a lot about Australian nature and animals from this book.
Jack Kirby and the X-man
This is an omnibus containing Blinky Bill: The Quaint Little Australian (1933), Blinky Bill Grows Up (1934) and Blinky Bill and Nutsy (1937).

I fondly recall the Blinky Bill character from my childhood – but never remember reading the original stories. Having now read the originals I suspect that my fond memories come from the various adaptions that have been made over the years.

I must say I was shocked by the mature themes contained in the first couple of chapters in Blinky Bill. First he is bor
Der kleine Koala Blinky Bill langweilt sich. Ständig muss er nur auf dem Baum sitzen und nichts tun. Seine Zeit vertreibt er sich bald damit, die Gespräche der großen Koalabären zu belauschen. Dabei sprechen sie über Menschen, Häuser, Autos, Straßen und vieles mehr.
Blinky hat sich in den Kopf gesetzt, das alles selbst zu sehen. Und so schleicht er sich eines Tages davon, um die Welt zu sehen.

Bei uns ist Blinky Bill vor allem bekannt durch die gleichnamige Zeichentrickserie, die a
Elizabeth S
Jan 28, 2011 Elizabeth S rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Elizabeth S by: Megan
Shelves: c-juvenile, z-2011
I enjoyed these children's tales of a little koala bear. It was fun to see a little community of Australian animals, versus the British, European, or North American animals we usually see. It reminds me of how Kipling's tales bring the animals of India closer.

This book is a compilation of three books, "Blinky Bill," "Blinky Bill Grows Up," and "Blinky Bill and Nutsy." The last was my favorite, because Nutsy was my favorite character. She nicely balances and tempers the impulsive, mischievous Bli
so bizarre
Jennifer (JC-S)
Nov 10, 2007 Jennifer (JC-S) rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all lovers of children's literature
Shelves: owned
This is an absolutely delightful children's book. Dorothy Wall first introduced Blinky Bill in the 1930s, and the books have never been out of print since. A firm family favourite for three generations in my family. I've posted a review on for anyone interested:
Cute and quaint stories. Quite different to kids books now. The author does not shy away from death or violence at all. Honestly, while I found it a tad unexpected, it was quite refreshing. Some minor mistakes in animal names, such as an echidna being called a porcupine.
Awesome. First book I ever read. Aged 5. Too busy reading other things to re-read it (besides I don't re-read anything - ONE EXCEPTION Ki Longfellow's The Secret Magdalene). So that 5 star is a retro-rating. I'm stickin with it though.
it was a very interesting story it had a lot of charter for a litter koala and involved a lot of adventure
it is more a book for children aged from 8 to 10 (primary school)
Blinky Bill was one of my favourite shows as a kid and it still makes me smile when i see it on TV. The book is just as well crafted and written. It is simply 'extraordinary' :)
Really grew up on a solid diet of this one :) And never failed to cry when Blinky Bill's father was shot :( Ten thousand times worse than Bambi!
I don't own this, but I wish I did. The one with the red cover that I used to get out of the school library week after week...
Andrea Mules
One of my all time favorites as a kid. Every child should read this/have this read to them!
Life and adventures of a young koala bear. Prefer these to The Magic Pudding by Lindsay.
Are there Australians out there who don't love this book? Cause I sure do! A classic :)
Tara Calaby
This is an Australian classic, but I was never that excited by it as a kid.
One of the first books I can remeber reading. Loved it then and still do.
The story was lots of fun. I really like the illustrations.
Nicole Thompson
Lost count how many times I read this as a kid
Ruth Bonetti
Ah, what a classic! Takes me back to childhood.
Deoanand marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
  • The Complete Adventures of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie
  • The Muddle-Headed Wombat
  • The Magic Pudding
  • Wombat Stew
  • Seven Little Australians (Woolcots, #1)
  • Possum Magic
  • Unreal! (Uncollected)
  • Kate Greenaway's Mother Goose
  • Mr Archimedes' Bath
  • Diary of a Wombat
  • A Little Bush Maid (Billabong, #1)
  • Avocado Baby

Blinky Bill (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Blinky Bill: The Quaint Little Australian
  • Blinky Bill Goes to School
  • Blinky Bill Goes to the Doctor
  • Let's Call Him Blinky Bill

“The bush was alive with excitement.” 0 likes
“Angelina Wallaby patted him twice, then sniffed him all over with her soft muzzly nose. Now her eyelashes caught in his little toes:” 0 likes