Start by marking “Blinky Bill” as Want to Read:
Blinky Bill

Blinky Bill (Blinky Bill)

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,722 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Originally published in 1939, this is a collection of tales about Blinky Bill, a mischievous little koala. Contains Blinky Bill, Blinky Bill Grows Up, and Blinky Bill and Nutsy.
Published October 3rd 1990 by Angus & Robertson (first published 1939)

To ask other readers questions about Blinky Bill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blinky Bill

The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCulloughTomorrow, When the War Began by John MarsdenCloudstreet by Tim WintonA Town Like Alice by Nevil ShutePicnic at Hanging Rock by Joan Lindsay
Best Books Set in Australia
49th out of 568 books — 369 voters
Possum Magic by Mem FoxDiary of a Wombat by Jackie FrenchAnimalia by Graeme BaseWhere is the Green Sheep? by Mem FoxWhere the Forest Meets the Sea by Jeannie Baker
Best Australian literature for children
23rd out of 282 books — 143 voters

More lists with this book...

Katische Haberfield
Very sad to say that this childhood classic is not to be a classic for my children. We stopped at p 138. I don't usually let the kids stop reading a book part way through, however, they honestly didn't like reading it and found it boring. I was disappointed as the movie was coming out last holidays and I had wanted to read it before we went to the movie, but that proved to be no further motivation. The movie, was nice but lacklustre, and did not provide additional incentive to finish.
Emma
Feb 07, 2015 Emma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ellinor
I loved to watch the animation series of Blinky Bill when I was a kid. The book isn't quite as funny as the TV show but it is really worth reading anyway. It has a slightly different focus - at least at the beginning. A lot is told of the danger the koalos and the other animals are living in. Kids can really learn a lot about Australian nature and animals from this book.
Grace
Jan 20, 2016 Grace rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, animals
Remember reading these as a child! Loved them very much
Jack Kirby and the X-man
This is an omnibus containing Blinky Bill: The Quaint Little Australian (1933), Blinky Bill Grows Up (1934) and Blinky Bill and Nutsy (1937).

I fondly recall the Blinky Bill character from my childhood – but never remember reading the original stories. Having now read the originals I suspect that my fond memories come from the various adaptions that have been made over the years.

I must say I was shocked by the mature themes contained in the first couple of chapters in Blinky Bill. First he is bor
Duesterwald-Online
Nov 18, 2011 Duesterwald-Online rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kinderbuch
Inhalt:
Der kleine Koala Blinky Bill langweilt sich. Ständig muss er nur auf dem Baum sitzen und nichts tun. Seine Zeit vertreibt er sich bald damit, die Gespräche der großen Koalabären zu belauschen. Dabei sprechen sie über Menschen, Häuser, Autos, Straßen und vieles mehr.
Blinky hat sich in den Kopf gesetzt, das alles selbst zu sehen. Und so schleicht er sich eines Tages davon, um die Welt zu sehen.

Meinung:
Bei uns ist Blinky Bill vor allem bekannt durch die gleichnamige Zeichentrickserie, die a
Elizabeth S
Jan 28, 2011 Elizabeth S rated it really liked it
Recommended to Elizabeth S by: Megan
Shelves: c-juvenile, z-2011
I enjoyed these children's tales of a little koala bear. It was fun to see a little community of Australian animals, versus the British, European, or North American animals we usually see. It reminds me of how Kipling's tales bring the animals of India closer.

This book is a compilation of three books, "Blinky Bill," "Blinky Bill Grows Up," and "Blinky Bill and Nutsy." The last was my favorite, because Nutsy was my favorite character. She nicely balances and tempers the impulsive, mischievous Bli
Glenn
Jan 27, 2016 Glenn rated it liked it
A tale of bad discipline, stealing, rudeness and murder most foul is Blinky Bill. This trilogy is repetitive and lacks a good message for children. Also spreads the tale of drop bears, or croppers, as the term is coined.
I can see its place in Australian history but a very basic writing style lessens enjoyment.
Caitlin
Jan 07, 2015 Caitlin rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
so bizarre
Jennifer (JC-S)
Nov 10, 2007 Jennifer (JC-S) rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all lovers of children's literature
Shelves: owned
This is an absolutely delightful children's book. Dorothy Wall first introduced Blinky Bill in the 1930s, and the books have never been out of print since. A firm family favourite for three generations in my family. I've posted a review on Amazon.com for anyone interested:
Katherine
Cute and quaint stories. Quite different to kids books now. The author does not shy away from death or violence at all. Honestly, while I found it a tad unexpected, it was quite refreshing. Some minor mistakes in animal names, such as an echidna being called a porcupine.
Rebecka
Nov 27, 2014 Rebecka rated it it was amazing
Awesome. First book I ever read. Aged 5. Too busy reading other things to re-read it (besides I don't re-read anything - ONE EXCEPTION Ki Longfellow's The Secret Magdalene). So that 5 star is a retro-rating. I'm stickin with it though.
Shekinah
Nov 11, 2011 Shekinah rated it really liked it
it was a very interesting story it had a lot of charter for a litter koala and involved a lot of adventure
it is more a book for children aged from 8 to 10 (primary school)
Chrissy12
Nov 04, 2010 Chrissy12 rated it liked it
Blinky Bill was one of my favourite shows as a kid and it still makes me smile when i see it on TV. The book is just as well crafted and written. It is simply 'extraordinary' :)
Sally
Really grew up on a solid diet of this one :) And never failed to cry when Blinky Bill's father was shot :( Ten thousand times worse than Bambi!
Gayle
Oct 02, 2011 Gayle rated it it was amazing
I don't own this, but I wish I did. The one with the red cover that I used to get out of the school library week after week...
Andrea Mules
Jul 09, 2009 Andrea Mules rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, australia
One of my all time favorites as a kid. Every child should read this/have this read to them!
Mckinley
Apr 11, 2014 Mckinley rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture, ya, animal, australia, bear
Life and adventures of a young koala bear. Prefer these to The Magic Pudding by Lindsay.
Sally
Jul 24, 2011 Sally rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-childhood, aussie
Are there Australians out there who don't love this book? Cause I sure do! A classic :)
Tara Calaby
This is an Australian classic, but I was never that excited by it as a kid.
Kerry
Sep 30, 2013 Kerry rated it really liked it
One of the first books I can remeber reading. Loved it then and still do.
Tammy
Jun 09, 2013 Tammy rated it really liked it
The story was lots of fun. I really like the illustrations.
Nicole Thompson
Nov 28, 2013 Nicole Thompson rated it it was amazing
Lost count how many times I read this as a kid
Ruth Bonetti
Oct 05, 2012 Ruth Bonetti rated it really liked it
Ah, what a classic! Takes me back to childhood.
Laura Jane
Dec 05, 2015 Laura Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was a childhood favourite and still is!
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Synethia
Synethia marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Robyn Allan
Robyn Allan rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Zoé Oliphant
Zoé Oliphant rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2016
  • The Complete Adventures of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie
  • The Muddle-Headed Wombat
  • The Magic Pudding
  • Wombat Stew
  • Seven Little Australians (Woolcots, #1)
  • Possum Magic
  • Unreal! (Uncollected)
  • Das kleine Ich-bin-ich
  • The Cow Who Fell in the Canal
  • Lotta's Bike

Blinky Bill (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Blinky Bill: The Quaint Little Australian
  • Blinky Bill Goes to School
  • Blinky Bill Goes to the Doctor
  • Let's Call Him Blinky Bill

“The bush was alive with excitement.” 0 likes
“Angelina Wallaby patted him twice, then sniffed him all over with her soft muzzly nose. Now her eyelashes caught in his little toes:” 0 likes