Blinky Bill

Blinky Bill (Blinky Bill)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  1,086 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Originally published in 1939, this is a collection of tales about Blinky Bill, a mischievous little koala. Contains Blinky Bill, Blinky Bill Grows Up, and Blinky Bill and Nutsy.
Published October 3rd 1990 by Angus & Robertson (first published 1939)

To ask other readers questions about Blinky Bill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blinky Bill

The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCulloughTomorrow, When the War Began by John MarsdenA Town Like Alice by Nevil ShuteCloudstreet by Tim WintonPicnic at Hanging Rock by Joan Lindsay
Best Books Set in Australia
34th out of 495 books — 254 voters
Possum Magic by Mem FoxAnimalia by Graeme BaseDiary of a Wombat by Jackie FrenchWhere is the Green Sheep? by Mem FoxWhere the Forest Meets the Sea by Jeannie Baker
Best Australian literature for children
19th out of 224 books — 99 voters

More lists with this book...

Ellinor
I loved to watch the animation series of Blinky Bill when I was a kid. The book isn't quite as funny as the TV show but it is really worth reading anyway. It has a slightly different focus - at least at the beginning. A lot is told of the danger the koalos and the other animals are living in. Kids can really learn a lot about Australian nature and animals from this book.
Jack Kirby and the X-man
This is an omnibus containing Blinky Bill: The Quaint Little Australian (1933), Blinky Bill Grows Up (1934) and Blinky Bill and Nutsy (1937).

I fondly recall the Blinky Bill character from my childhood – but never remember reading the original stories. Having now read the originals I suspect that my fond memories come from the various adaptions that have been made over the years.

I must say I was shocked by the mature themes contained in the first couple of chapters in Blinky Bill. First he is bor...more
Duesterwald-Online
Inhalt:
Der kleine Koala Blinky Bill langweilt sich. Ständig muss er nur auf dem Baum sitzen und nichts tun. Seine Zeit vertreibt er sich bald damit, die Gespräche der großen Koalabären zu belauschen. Dabei sprechen sie über Menschen, Häuser, Autos, Straßen und vieles mehr.
Blinky hat sich in den Kopf gesetzt, das alles selbst zu sehen. Und so schleicht er sich eines Tages davon, um die Welt zu sehen.

Meinung:
Bei uns ist Blinky Bill vor allem bekannt durch die gleichnamige Zeichentrickserie, die a...more
Elizabeth S
Jan 28, 2011 Elizabeth S rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Elizabeth S by: Megan
Shelves: c-juvenile, z-2011
I enjoyed these children's tales of a little koala bear. It was fun to see a little community of Australian animals, versus the British, European, or North American animals we usually see. It reminds me of how Kipling's tales bring the animals of India closer.

This book is a compilation of three books, "Blinky Bill," "Blinky Bill Grows Up," and "Blinky Bill and Nutsy." The last was my favorite, because Nutsy was my favorite character. She nicely balances and tempers the impulsive, mischievous Bli...more
Jennifer (JC-S)
Nov 10, 2007 Jennifer (JC-S) rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all lovers of children's literature
Shelves: owned
This is an absolutely delightful children's book. Dorothy Wall first introduced Blinky Bill in the 1930s, and the books have never been out of print since. A firm family favourite for three generations in my family. I've posted a review on Amazon.com for anyone interested:
Katherine
Cute and quaint stories. Quite different to kids books now. The author does not shy away from death or violence at all. Honestly, while I found it a tad unexpected, it was quite refreshing. Some minor mistakes in animal names, such as an echidna being called a porcupine.
Rebecka
Awesome. First book I ever read. Aged 5. Too busy reading other things to re-read it (besides I don't re-read anything - ONE EXCEPTION Ki Longfellow's The Secret Magdalene). So that 5 star is a retro-rating. I'm stickin with it though.
Shekinah
it was a very interesting story it had a lot of charter for a litter koala and involved a lot of adventure
it is more a book for children aged from 8 to 10 (primary school)
Chrissy12
Blinky Bill was one of my favourite shows as a kid and it still makes me smile when i see it on TV. The book is just as well crafted and written. It is simply 'extraordinary' :)
Sally
Really grew up on a solid diet of this one :) And never failed to cry when Blinky Bill's father was shot :( Ten thousand times worse than Bambi!
Gayle
I don't own this, but I wish I did. The one with the red cover that I used to get out of the school library week after week...
Andrea Mules
One of my all time favorites as a kid. Every child should read this/have this read to them!
Mckinley
Life and adventures of a young koala bear. Prefer these to The Magic Pudding by Lindsay.
Sally
Are there Australians out there who don't love this book? Cause I sure do! A classic :)
Kerry
One of the first books I can remeber reading. Loved it then and still do.
Tammy
The story was lots of fun. I really like the illustrations.
Nicole Thompson
Lost count how many times I read this as a kid
Ruth Bonetti
Ah, what a classic! Takes me back to childhood.
Taka Maja
Taka Maja marked it as to-read
polarbear
polarbear marked it as to-read
Yi
Yi marked it as to-read
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Daniel
Daniel is currently reading it
Marianne
Marianne marked it as to-read
  • The Complete Adventures of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie
  • The Muddle-Headed Wombat
  • The Magic Pudding
  • Wombat Stew
  • Seven Little Australians (Woolcots, #1)
  • Possum Magic
  • Avocado Baby
  • Harry and the Bucketful of Dinosaurs
  • Slinky Malinki
  • The Wishing-Chair Again
Blinky Bill: The Quaint Little Australian Blinky Bill and Friends Blinky Bill and Nutsy Blinky Bill Grows Up Blinky Bill and the Pelicans

“The bush was alive with excitement.” 0 likes
“Angelina Wallaby patted him twice, then sniffed him all over with her soft muzzly nose. Now her eyelashes caught in his little toes:” 0 likes