Start by marking “A Face in the Crowd (Prime Suspect, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Face in the Crowd (Prime Suspect, #2)

A Face in the Crowd (Prime Suspect #2)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  382 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
In the dark night of the soul . . . . If Detective Chief Inspector Jane Tennison hadn't been a woman, she might not have noticed the victim's shoes . . . . and that they didn't match the size given on the info sheet now so obviously misidentifying the dead blonde as a hooker named Della Mornay. Being so through, so good at the details, made Jane a top investigator; being a ...more
Published January 2nd 1993 by Dell Publishing Company (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about A Face in the Crowd, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Face in the Crowd

Ted Lehmann
Apr 15, 2012 Ted Lehmann rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Detective Fiction Readers
Recommended to Ted by: I was sent the book by the publisher through TLC Book Tours
Prime Suspect 2 is the second of three re-prints from the early 1990's. Prime Suspect ran on ITV in Great Britain starring Helen Mirren as Detective Chief Inspector Jane Tennison. The seven seasons run in the U.S. by PBS was a huge success and prompted a (sadly) failed effort by NBC-TV to cast the story in an American version starring Maria Bello in the Tennison role. The three books, by Lynda La Plante, who wrote the screenplays for the early Prime Suspect shows, are solid police procedurals wh ...more
Molly
Mar 21, 2012 Molly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Molly by: TLC Book Tours
I'm a huge crime fiction lover and I especially love those that are based on truth. So, when the chance arose to review books 1 and 2 in Ms. La Plante's Prime Suspect series, I jumped. What I found in these two books was gripping complexity that will leave the reader hungry for more!

In Prime Suspect, Jane Tennison's a woman doing a man's job. And those men...well, they aren't too pleased about it, so she has a lot to prove. All she wants is a chance to lead an investigation and prove that she's
Ryan G
Mar 01, 2012 Ryan G rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure what to say about this one that I didn't say about the first book in the series, Prime Suspect. So I must humbly beg your forgiveness if this review is a bit shorter that either one of us would have liked it to be.

Jane Tennison, as much as I loved her in the previous book, I fell even harder as I read A Face in the Crowd. She isn't the nicest or most sympathetic of characters, but there is just something so deeply flawed and fragile about her that I can't help but find her both symp
Pam
Mar 19, 2012 Pam rated it liked it
Let me begin by saying that I liked Prime Suspect 2: A Face in the Crowd much better than Prime Suspect I. However, some of the issues I had with the first book are still there.

The good: the storyline. This storyline was even better than the first. A body of a young, black, female is found buried under a concrete slab in the backyard of a house. The investigation has to determine who was living in the house when the slabs were poured. Once they determine that, it still isn't as easy as it seems
Eugene
Sep 24, 2014 Eugene rated it liked it
like the others before, the show creator
wrote these to go along with the UK series,
really great then obviously, I would like to
find another uk cop book like this series
as this is the 2nd to last one

one little thing, I think some of the idiom and slang seemed more american than british
I wondered if the author was taking a bit of a catholic approach to enable the story
to go down a bit easier for an international audience.
Iris Michaux
Mar 02, 2015 Iris Michaux rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short story about a black girl who's body is found in a poor neighborhood in London. The police and the citizens do not see eye to eye. No one wants to get involved and the police don't want to investigate because it's not worth their time. To add insult to injury, the police enlist a black detective. The book’s a good “who done it”, but the racial slurs used by the police threw me. Racism is truly world wide.
JodiP
Aug 02, 2015 JodiP rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This is the second installment in the Linda LaPlante series and I really enjoy the main character’s growth and the challenges she faces in a male dominated field. Sometime she is a bit two-dimensional, but the mystery was intriguing enough to keep me listening. I will continue to listen to the series till the end.
Beatrix
Oct 12, 2015 Beatrix rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book as others in the series. It is hard for Lynda La Playnte to write a bad story. What an devious awesome mind she has
Irene King
May 10, 2015 Irene King rated it really liked it
Well another Prime Suspect, what a good read and Tennison ,still having to prove herself another good thriller.
Zuzu Burford
Mar 20, 2014 Zuzu Burford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great read. Believable characters, believable plot.
Gerda
Oct 25, 2014 Gerda rated it really liked it
Written after the TV series, so it's like "reading" the episode, word for word, but still enjoyable.
Sharon
Aug 12, 2014 Sharon rated it really liked it
great book. I have seen the tv series but not the books. loved this one, may have to pursue the others and read them now.
Ellie1029
Not as good as Prime Suspect One
Sarah Long
Jan 27, 2014 Sarah Long rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much better than the first one in the series! I'll be putting my full review up in a few days on notyouraveragereader.wordpress.com
Eric Pape
Excellent
Bettie☯
Description: The victim was young. Female. And black. Her skull had been smashed in, her face decomposed beyond all recognition. But for Detective Chief Inspector Jane Tennison, the corpse that had just been found in one of London's poorest communities was only the beginning of a case that would tear apart an already divided city . . .and embroil the gritty cop and her force in a hotbed of racial strife, shocking accusations, and sudden, wrenching violence.

But Jane Tennison was not a woman who l
Sharon
Apr 16, 2014 Sharon rated it it was amazing
A great series & a good read!
Mikey
Mar 06, 2014 Mikey rated it it was amazing
Another Lynda la Plante at her finest. Gritty and a page turner. Set against a back drop of race relations with an unsolved murder great character lead story but with the suspense of a crime thriller.
Vicky Tabor
Slow starting but once the story got going it was a good read. I have never watch the English TV show but di watch the short lived American version. Because of this show I wanted to read the books. Will read the last one and want to watch Helen Mirren in the English show.

Chris Porter
Jan 04, 2014 Chris Porter rated it it was amazing
Cracking, fast paced, brilliantly written.
Christine
Apr 07, 2013 Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jane Tennison in the 1990s UK comes up against racism, sexism and solves the murder of a teenage girl! I love this book. One of my favourites of the Prime Suspect series!
Jean
Mar 16, 2012 Jean rated it it was amazing
this was a good follow up to Prime Suspect #1 and just as intrigueing. Quite a lot of fasle leads and a great page turner.
John Hanscom
Apr 06, 2012 John Hanscom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good mystery with a compelling main character, based on the English series, and not the far less appealing American one.
Mike
May 20, 2013 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!
Shane Moore
Shane Moore marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
shona scally
shona scally rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
sheila farmer
sheila farmer is currently reading it
Feb 04, 2016
  • Beyond Reach (DI Joe Faraday, #10)
  • He Done Her Wrong (Toby Peters, #8)
  • Blood of My Blood
  • Blanche Passes Go
  • The Ghost in the Machine
  • Death of a Dying Man (Micky Knight, #5)
  • A Sleeping Life (Inspector Wexford, #10)
  • A Good Hanging: Short Stories
  • Funeral Music
Lynda La Plante (born Lynda Titchmarsh) is a British author, screenwriter, and erstwhile actress (her performances in Rentaghost and other programmes were under her stage name of Lynda Marchal), best known for writing the Prime Suspect television crime series.

Her first TV series as a scriptwriter was the six part robbery series Widows, in 1983, in which the widows of four armed robbers carry out a
More about Lynda La Plante...

Prime Suspect (3 books)
  • Prime Suspect (Prime Suspect, #1)
  • Silent Victims (Prime Suspect, #3)