Start by marking “Eight Weeks in the Summer of Victoria's Jubilee: The Queen, the Jews and a Murder” as Want to Read:

Jubilee Summer, June 1887. Britain is deep in lavish celebration of Empire. That same month, in the East End of London a quiet young man, recently arrived from Warsaw, is accused of murdering an Angel. Two writers at the start of their career - Z, a brilliant Anglo-Jewish novelist and Maggie, a fiery social reformer - are brought together in a remarkable encounter as they ...more
Published May 1st 2012 by Germinal Productions, Ltd/ Black Apollo Press (first published February 24th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Eight Weeks in the Summer of Victoria's Jubilee, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eight Weeks in the Summer of Victoria's Jubilee

Kermit Allen
Sep 04, 2013 Kermit Allen rated it it was amazing
This book is a slow burn but once engaged it grabs you like a five star thriller without the blood and gore. Certainly not everyone's cup of tea but if you are interested in literature of ideas this is the one for you. Very well researched with fascinating characters drawn from real life. It will definitely give you a different view of late Victorian England.
Lorri
May 09, 2015 Lorri rated it really liked it
The book was a slow read, but I did finish it. I liked the depiction of the Victorian era and how immigrants were perceived by those with financial security, and how the immigrants were treated within the societal whole. There was definitely a class system, which defined opinions which often led to injustice in the legal system.
John
May 20, 2014 John rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People interested in London during the 1880s
I found it to be a good book, but not a great one. It took awhile for me to get interested in the story. The trial portion was very detailed and boring at times. However the detail was necessary in order to understand why some many felt the trial to be a miscarriage of justice.

I enjoyed the commentary about the Jewish community in London, especially the conflicting interests within the community. More could have been done with the two main characters, Z and Maggie. The author used them to repre
Ruth Philby
Sep 04, 2013 Ruth Philby rated it it was amazing
This is a fascinating read! The author has taken an historic murder case and used it as a device to explore a period that is often misunderstood. His examination of the plight of poor immigrants, in this case Eastern European Jews, casts a light on contemporary issues. Also, using two contemporary writers as the story's investigators gives this work a wider perspective. Highly recommended!
Joy Magezis
Sep 04, 2013 Joy Magezis rated it it was amazing
This is a great book. A very interesting read about the Jews who came to Britain in the Victorian era. It is well written and really kept my interest. It also looks at issues of justice and immigration. I recommend it very highly.
Lisa
Oct 10, 2012 Lisa rated it did not like it
This was so boring I couldn't make myself finish it. I got 1/4 of the way through and gave up.
Kathy
Kathy rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2012
Alison
Sep 14, 2014 Alison added it
I gave up. Not keen at all.
Caryn
Caryn marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
edifanob
edifanob marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Mary Sier
Mary Sier marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016