Start by marking “Ghost Abbey” as Want to Read:
Ghost Abbey

Ghost Abbey

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  15 reviews
When her father's new job takes the entire family to a dilapidated old abbey in England, twelve-year-old Maggi discovers that both she and the building are haunted by ghosts from their pasts.
Published March 1st 1989 by Scholastic (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Ghost Abbey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost Abbey

Vincent Ripley
Master story teller!
I love stories based in or around stately homes, and this book appealed to me because of the Abbey element. Also, Robert Westall is one of my favourite childrens/young adult authors.

This book did not disappoint. Fast-paced yet with plenty of detail, you get to know the characters quickly. Maggi was an interesting and likeable main character.

Even though this is billed as a childrens book, I still thoroughly enjoyed it - a bit of a comfort read!
Matti Karjalainen
Robert Westallin "Kummitusluostari" (Karisto, 1991) kuuluu Kauhujuttu-nimiseen kirjasarjaan, joiden kansikuvia katselin kirjaston lastenosastolla kultaisella 1990-luvulla, mutta joita en koskaan tullut lainanneeksi. En rehellisesti sanottuna tainnut uskaltaa.

Maggi-niminen tyttö asuu jossakin Pohjois-Englannissa yhdessä leskeksi jääneen isänsä ja kahden rasavillin veljensä Bazin ja Gazin kanssa. Elämä tuntuu olevan vähän surumielistä, mutta sitten rakennusurakoitsijana työskentelevä isä saa vanha
Set in England. Maggi's mother died 2 years ago leaving her father despondent and Maggi to care for the house and her two younger brothers. Her father's construction business is in trouble since he is sunk in sorrow, the blousy housekeeper/babysitter he's hired to watch Maggi and her brothers has set her matrimonial sights on him and does no housekeeping, and Maggi has to do all the shopping, cooking, and housework. Then, right when school is ending, her father gets an offer to repair an old abb ...more

Twelve-year-old Maggi has her hands full in this English ghost story; everything from insolent louts and anachronistic ectoplasm to malevolent architecture. Having taken over as the Little Missus when her Mam died, she has to deal with a gone-to-seed carpenter father, horrid younger twin brothers, and a lazy floozy of a housekeeper with designs on Dad. Naturally father and daughter jump at the chance to refurbish an old abbey/house in Cheshire for a
A.E. Shaw

Robert Westall is definitively the reason I have a problem with over-commaing. Somehow I missed this book in my childhood, so it's the first time I've read it, now. Without the attachment of memory, the dialect-heavy opening is a little tougher than in his other books, but, like all his stories, for me, once it's begun, it rolls right along and you don't want to leave it for a moment just in case something happens whilst you're not looking.

Still, as his books go, whilst there's a sense of impend
Denise Spicer
Nov 24, 2015 Denise Spicer rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kids, mystery fans
Maggi and her twin brothers get to go to an old abbey when their widowed contractor dad is hired to help fix it up. Ghostly occurrences, a scary storm and an unusual treasure from the past enliven the plot.
I thought I'd read nearly all of Westall's books and short stories, so coming upon this one that had somehow slipped through my net was a pleasure. Not up there with Westall classics like Devil on the Road, Cats of Seroster, The Scarecrows, or The Machinegunners, but I have such a soft spot for all of his writing that I'm giving it 4 stars out of author loyalty (rounding up from the three and a half it should probably get, if goodreads would let one give half stars).
Orrin Grey
While this was no Stones of Muncaster Cathedral, I liked it a lot more than Yaxley's Cat. We had another fretful protagonist here, but she was also clever and capable and at all effective at anything, which was a big improvement. And there was a building-with-a-life-of-its-own, which I'm a big sucker for.
Such an enjoyable little book. As another reviewer has stated, it is a comfort read- somthing to read and enjoy and not have to analyze. This is the type of book that I would love to be able to write. I appreciated that the author gave a lot of depth to the main character- more than I really expected her to have.
I came across this book when I was in junior high.

For some odd reason, I'd go back and read it every summer. I'm a huge fan.
A girl named Maggi who moved to a spooky Abbey with her dad and her two brothers.
Mar 18, 2009 Relaynie added it
Shelves: own
ghosts,big houses,supernatural
i really loved this book
Ztyu marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jennifer San Paolo
Jennifer San Paolo marked it as to-read
Karen Fleming
Karen Fleming is currently reading it
Nov 12, 2015
Breanna marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Courtney marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Aaron Power Man
Aaron Power Man marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Tammi marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2015
Priscilla Milowitz
Priscilla Milowitz marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2015
Zoeeloise marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Wordsl Dreamsl
Wordsl Dreamsl marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Burning Issy
  • Speciale Violante
  • Mama, Let's Dance
  • Chamber of Fear (Fear Street Sagas, #12)
  • The Diary
  • The Witches
  • Orville: A Dog Story
  • Scarecrow
  • The Cuckoo Sister
  • My Secret Admirer (Point Horror, #4)
  • The House In Norham Gardens
  • The Pictish Child (Tartan Magic, #2)
  • Voices in a Haunted Room (Daughters of England, #11)
  • Weeping Willow
Robert Westall was born in North Shields, Northumberland, England in 1929.

His first published book The Machine Gunners (1975) which won him the Carnegie Medal is set in World War Two when a group of children living on Tyneside retrieve a machine-gun from a crashed German aircraft. He won the Carnegie Medal again in 1981 for The Scarecrows, the first writer to win it twice. He won the Smarties Priz
More about Robert Westall...