Start by marking “Out of My Mind” as Want to Read:
Out of My Mind

Out of My Mind

4.37  ·  Rating Details ·  66,956 Ratings  ·  9,763 Reviews
"If there is one book teens and parents (and everyone else) should read this year, Out of My Mind" should be it" (Denver Post").Melody is not like most people. She cannot walk or talk, but she has a photographic memory; she can remember every detail of everything she has ever experienced. She is smarter than most of the adults who try to diagnose her and smarter than her c ...more
Published May 1st 2012 by Perfection Learning (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Out of My Mind, please sign up.

Catherine Another vote for Wonder by RJ Palacio. You can follow those up with Pluto and the Julian Chapters.

Your son might also enjoy reading about Helen…more

Your son might also enjoy reading about Helen Keller and Annie Sullivan. There are loads of books about them. The one I loved at age 9 was called Helen Keller's Teacher by Margaret Davidson. (less)
Logan Lahr Because some people aren't sure if it is on their level, so they are scared to read it. And might I add, some people do think they are stupid, I have…moreBecause some people aren't sure if it is on their level, so they are scared to read it. And might I add, some people do think they are stupid, I have a friend who thinks that.(less)

Destinee Sutton
Many people love love love this book, so I'm going to skip the praise (you can read plenty of it elsewhere) and go straight to criticism:

1. The phrase "untouched in my hands" really bothers me. How can something be untouched if it's in your hands?

2. I worry this book is dated already. Do kids really say "tight" anymore? I know Draper is trying to make Melody sound like a real kid, but to my ears she sounds like an adult trying to sound like a kid. In fact, a lot of dialogue struck me as unreal
Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
I have a lot of say about this book. I had so many feels. I have cried and I have raged. BOOKS MAKE ME FEEL!

****FREAKING SPOILERS****

In this book we meet Melody. I'm going to write a good amount of excerpts about Melody.

*Melody had a pink wheelchair until she upgraded.
*Melody had a goldfish named Ollie until he jumped out of the bowl and died. (she got blamed)
*Melody got a dog she names Butterscotch by pointing at candy until her parents get it right.
*Melody has cerebral-palsy.
*Melody can't sp
Claire Scott
Oh, man. I'm finding this book very difficult to write about. I really want to like this book. Before I was a librarian, I was a disability rights advocate; and of the many experiences that I had during those six years, one of the most intense and formative was supporting a young woman my age who had CP and was nonverbal. She was a client and then a friend, and much of our time together was spent supporting her to learn how to use a speech device to communicate in her own words. She passed away ...more
Raeleen Lemay
Oct 31, 2016 Raeleen Lemay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this! It's perfect for fans of Wonder by R.J. Palacio, and I think this should be required reading in elementary schools. Really powerful.
Suzanne
Jul 01, 2014 Suzanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cody, library-mas
Volunteering at my daughter’s high school library has its perks. Not only do I get to look at books all day, but I get to borrow. I was generifying the senior fiction section before Christmas when I found books on my list such as this one, and books by my Goodreads friends as well: Lynne Stringer and Adele Jones. Very exciting!

I see some weird judgemental reviews here on this book. This book educates. This book is fiction. This book shows us life is not always a cup of coffee easy. Is it?

This b
April (Aprilius Maximus)
I can't even begin to explain the importance of this book and how it has the power to influence so many people in how they treat others. I honestly don't even have words to describe my feelings for this book just yet, but once I do, I plan on screaming them from the rooftops so that everyone reads this book.
Rabia Sultana
May 12, 2010 Rabia Sultana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book "Out of my mind" by Sharon M. Draper has changed my view of how people view others. This book is the story of a girl who was born unable to speak, walk, write, or anything on her own. Ever since the day she's been born she's always been helped by someone,never able to do something on her, not even talk. She was always seen as the girl in the wheel cahir who couldn't do anything. So when Melody finally can do something on her, can even speak for the first time, why do people still look ...more
Irmak
May 03, 2016 Irmak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sizden bu kitabı okumanızı rica edeceğim. Çünkü gerçekten kaç gündür okurken mahvoluyorum. Öfkeden deliye döndüm. İnsanlığımızdan daha doğrusu insan sandığımız yanlarımızdan utandım. Çünkü biliyorum ki bu kitapta anlatılanlar bir yerlerde gerçekten birilerinin başına geliyor.
Mucize'yi okuduysanız ve sevdiyseniz bu kitabı daha çok seveceğinizi söyleyebilirim size. Daha gerçekçi çünkü daha acımasız.
Mucize'nin sonundaki mucizeyi bu kitapta beklemeyin. Çünkü bu kitapta bir mucize gerçekleşmeyecek.
Ann
I felt like a terrible person the entire time I read this book because I disliked it so much, especially since I think that it's an important book and a really thoughtful book in many ways. I was impressed with the author for writing a story from the perspective of someone with cerebral palsy, and thought she did a great job of expressing the difficulties of living with that condition. The intentions were good, but wow, I couldn't stand Melody. If someone talked like she does throughout the book ...more
Juliana Zapata
Aug 06, 2015 Juliana Zapata rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Cuando empecé este libro no tenía idea de que iba la trama, y me sorprendió mucho enterarme de que la protagonista que es quien cuenta la historia tuviera parálisis cerebral y que no moviera en absoluto su cuerpo.

Aunque la historia de Melody, es dura, trágica, injusta y en algunas escenas muy cruel; la autora logró que el lector no sintiera lástima por la protagonista, que leyera su historia e intentara ser fuerte y luchar junto a Melody

La historia está lejos de ser una guía o manual para person
Joe
I feel a bit heartless.

After reading all the Newbery-hype about Out of My Mind, I went into it expecting an absolutely life-changing book about cerebral palsy. After reading Ben Mikaelsen's horrendous Petey this past spring, I was certain Draper's treatment of the subject would be leaps and bounds above that drivel.

It is. And it isn't. (Mostly it is.)

Unlike my feelings about Petey, my emotions about this book are mixed - in the strictest sense of the word. For every element of the book I enjoyed
Merve Akıncı
Jun 30, 2016 Merve Akıncı rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Müthişti. Tereddüte düşmeden alın, okuyun.
Shawna
Nov 25, 2011 Shawna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen-fiction
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Man. Kids can be such jerks.
Lisa Vegan
Apr 24, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every 8-12 year old kid, disabled kids & those who know them; all who work with the disabled
I highly recommend this book to everybody, but especially to disabled kids, kids who know disabled kids, anyone who works with disabled kids, especially non-verbal/speech impaired disabled people and people with cerebral palsy or similar neurological motor conditions.

This is an absolutely wonderful book that almost made my favorites shelf. It’s wickedly funny and brutally, wonderfully honest.

I’ve always enjoyed stories about special needs kids, special education, ill children, disabled children,
D.
Jul 16, 2012 D. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Goodness this book is dreadful. Unrealistic, overly-sentimental, pure drivel. YUCK.

I am most bothered by the fact that Sharon Draper must really think very poorly of educators. Since EVERY SINGLE teacher (sans one, three paragraph, mention of a third grade teacher who liked to play books on tape for Melody) is a HORRIBLE HUMAN BEING. Not even bad teachers...like awful, horrible, despicable people. Where did these people go to school? Where are the occupational therapist? Where is her case-worker
Skip
Mar 19, 2016 Skip rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: award-winners
In much the same way that RJ Palacio's book, Wonder resonated, this book shines a similar light on a child with physical developmental problems: Melody is an eleven-year old girl, suffering from cerebral palsy. Her body is crippled, making it impossible for her to do virtually anything for herself, especially communicate all of the things happening in her much developed brain. She is a mop for facts and ideas, which eventually is discovered when two seminal events occur: first, she and her schoo ...more
Kaitlin O
Sep 20, 2016 Kaitlin O rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book Out of my mind is the saddest book I've read, ever. I normally never cry when reading books but for this book I was balling. The main character is Melody who can't walk or move most of her body. She sometimes gets ignored and bullied by the way she looks and does things, but mostly by two girls Molly and Clair. They always leave Melody out and whisper and laugh even though Melody has perfect hearing. Melody can't talk though, she has the biggest and brightest mind in her grade if not sc ...more
Julia
Oct 07, 2011 Julia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gabry
Aug 20, 2016 Gabry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"I pensieri hanno bisogno di parole. Le parole hanno bisogno di voce. Io adoro il profumo dei capelli appena lavati della mamma. Adoro sentire la barba ispida del papà, prima che si rada. Ma non ho mai potuto dirglielo."

Melody ha quasi undici anni e non ha mai potuto parlare, è costretta a vivere su una sedia a rotelle e riesce a muovere bene solo i suoi pollici. È la ragazzina più intelligente della scuola, eppure nessuno lo sa.

Ho amato Melody, quasi come se fosse una mia piccola amica. Ho amat
Josiah
Apr 19, 2011 Josiah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best book that I have read in years. It's right up there near the same plane as the very best books that I have ever read. I had never read any book by Sharon M. Draper before this one, but I think that's about to undergo a major reversal. If she's able to even approach the incredible level that she has achieved in the making of this novel in anything else that she has done, then I want to experience it.

Where do I start in describing a story of the power and magnitude that marks Ou
Angigames
Jul 19, 2016 Angigames rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Melody è un libro bellissimo.
Un libro che mi ha fatto piangere dalla prima all’ultima pagina, un libro che spacca il cuore.
Melody è la storia di una bambina di 11 anni costretta su una sedia a rotelle, che non può muoversi e soprattutto non può parlare, che dipende in tutto e per tutto dagli adulti, che all’apparenza sembra un guscio vuoto, ma che invece cela in se una mente brillante e perspicace, simpatica e gentile.
E' una sognatrice. Malody sogna di poter correre, camminare, volare, di pot
Zeynep
May 19, 2016 Zeynep rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2016, library
Birkaç dakika önce kitabı bitirdim(ayrıca birkaç dakika önce hunharca ağladım) ve bu kitabı en etkilendiğim kitaplar arasına ekledim. Senden Önce Ben, Kitap Hırsızı ve İçimdeki Müzik..
Şimdi kitapla ilgili bazı yanlış anlaşılmaları ortadan kaldırmak istiyorum.
Başta şunu söylemeliyim: Bu bir çocuk kitabı değil. Belki kapağı veya ismi yüzünden bir çocuk kitabı olduğunu düşünebilirsiniz. Fakat aslında hiçte öyle değil.
Mutlu bir hikaye beklemeyin. Her şeyin harika gittiği bir kitap beklemeyin. Sonun
Irakli Bakuridze
ხუთი ვარსკვლავი! <3 პირველივე გვერდებიდან მომდგარი ცრემლები და ძალიან ბევრი ემოცია. თხრობის ძალიან კარგი და უბრალო სტილი. მომენტებში თითქოს ბანალურობა იგრძნობოდა, მაგრამ ესეც მელოდისებური იყო :) მაგარი გოგოა მელოდი და აღარ მიკვირს, თუ როგორ მიიღო ამდენი ჯილდო წიგნმა <3
Burcu
Apr 21, 2016 Burcu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
BAYILDIM!
Mucize'yi sevdiyseniz bu kitaba aşık olursunuz!
İçinde umudun, gücün, asla pes etmemin en güzel hikayelerinden biri saklı.
Kasey H
Oct 23, 2012 Kasey H rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just started reading Out of my Mind by Sharon M. Draper. It's a really great book because- well everything. Sharon does a great job of describing Melody, the main character, and her classmates. Melody sounds super nice, some of her friends are nice too, but some of them can't be so nice sometimes. Melody feels like she's trapped in a box. She can't talk, sit up strait, and can't move very well. Melody has a photographic memory, but she can't use it, or show anybody how smart she is! I could n ...more
мαүғℓσωεя ϟ

This book was recommended to me by a dear goodreads friend. (You know who you are. ;))

Man, did I ever underestimate this book. Here I was thinking it’s going to be one of those cute middle school books that’s all la, la, la, la and sharing is caring, but damn, was I wrong.

Imagine living in a world where you cannot voice your thoughts? To me, that sounds incredibly exhausting. But that’s the life of eleven-year old Melody. Melody has cerebral palsy in other words, she cannot walk, talk, eat
Irshad
Jan 31, 2016 Irshad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: excellent-reads
Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper - 5/5 stars.

Have you ever felt like an outcast and all you want to be is normal just for a day even if that's what everyone around you tells you that you're better off without being normal?

Let me begin with saying that I really enjoyed this book so much! The whole disabled aspect brought light to my eyes for the first time. I've never once had a second thought to someone with a disability and I openly admit that I never believed that they were as intellectually
Donalyn
Ayse Kelce
May 02, 2016 Ayse Kelce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
İçimdeki Müzik ve Wonder (Mucize'yi), genel olay örgüsünü şekillendiren "engelli çocuk" konsepti sayesinde kıyaslamadan edemedim.
Mucize çok daha bilinen ve sevilen bir kitap olsa da bence İçimdeki Müzik, her anlamda onun birkaç seviye üzerindeydi.
Melody'nin (içimdeki müzik) her ne kadar çok daha zor şartlar altında yaşamasına sebep olan bir fiziksel engeli olsa da bana göre August (Mucize) karakterine göre çok daha olgun ve saygı uyandıran bir karakter olarak yaratılmıştı.
Kitap gerçekten güzeldi
Out of My Mind 4 9 Apr 18, 2017 01:16PM
out of my mind 1 2 Apr 18, 2017 01:03PM
Out of My Mind 5 8 Apr 07, 2017 12:58PM
Book Club 1 1 Apr 07, 2017 05:10AM
1st discussion 1 2 Apr 06, 2017 07:47AM
1st discussion 1 2 Apr 06, 2017 07:47AM
  • Because of Mr. Terupt
  • The Brilliant Fall of Gianna Z.
  • Turtle in Paradise
  • The Thing About Georgie
  • Touch Blue
  • Ninth Ward
  • Crunch
  • Anything But Typical
  • When Life Gives You O.J.
  • Mockingbird
  • The Mighty Miss Malone
  • True (. . . Sort Of)
  • Close to Famous
51942
Sharon M. Draper is a professional educator as well as an accomplished writer. She has been honored as the National Teacher of the Year, is a five-time winner of the Coretta Scott King Literary Award, and is a New York Times bestselling author. She lives in Cincinnati, Ohio.
More about Sharon M. Draper...

“Words have always swirled around me like snowflakes-each one delicate and different, each one melting untouched in my hands.” 102 likes
“[A] person is so much more than the name of a diagnosis on a chart.” 48 likes