Start by marking “Smoke and Mirrors” as Want to Read:
Smoke and Mirrors

Smoke and Mirrors

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  20 reviews
ENTER A WORLD OF MAGIC! Stage magician Terry Ward is thrust into a world where magic - not technology - rules, and forced to use trickery and illusions to survive! But will that prove to be enough when the dangers of the world start compounding - how can a sleight of hand artist compete with users of practical spells?
Published October 23rd 2012 by IDW Publishing (first published September 25th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Smoke and Mirrors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smoke and Mirrors

Sesana
This is another book that I checked out just because I saw Fiona Staples's name attached to it. As it turns out, she doesn't do the interior art, just a cover. I can't be annoyed by that, though, because this is a really good book I never would have read otherwise.

I love the concept: a stage magician has found himself in a world powered by magic. Naturally, he isn't able to do magic himself. Naturally, he's distrustful of the actual magic around him. Stage magicians tend to be ardent skeptics. S
Emily
Original idea-I would read more books set in this world, but I think this might be a standalone.
Skye Kilaen
Ethan’s growing up in a world powered by magic. It makes lights, cars, washing machines, and computers work. He’s pretty gifted with it himself, but what he’s really interested in is the guy in Tobin Square who’s doing some *other* kind of magic that Ethan doesn’t understand. Yet.

This is an interesting book combining “real” magic and stage magic, as well as friendship and fighting evil. I wish this would have been an ongoing series, because I really wanted to know what happened next for these c
Kristen
Often, I find myself drawn to adult graphic novels and this one caught my eye while browsing at the library. I loved the illustrated cover and it had a magical feel to it, so I checked it out and found myself immersed in a world where magic exists. I loved the spin of having a character from our world who does not know magic, but magic tricks. A young boy sees him performing on the streets and his curiousity leads him to badger the man into teaching him this magic.

I loved the dichotomy of magic
Terry Collins
I'm not sure what I was expecting when I checked this out at my local public library, but what I got was something else entirely. Great attention to the details of magic - slight of hand AND how magic might work in an alternate universe. A good read for fans of the art of illusion, and for comic book connoisseurs who want something different besides superhero tales. Art is a little stiff, but nothing too distracting. Recommended!
Cale
The primary idea behind this, a sleight-of-hand magician in a world where magic is real (and takes the place of science) sets up an interesting, well-built world. The story itself is fairly slight within it, as a powerful magic child is fascinated by the sleight-of-hand magic and manages to cause a fair bit of conflict, but it's the thinking that goes into world-building that I liked more. There's also several magic 'tricks' in the story, but honestly they feel more like gimmicks than key compon ...more
Nina
The first issue is awesome & sets immediately the tone of the rest of the series. We get introduced with the main characters, the little nosy boy, his teacher (the know it all) and the mysterious men. In this issue the teacher stood out for me. He is portrayed as a very smart men who knows a lot about magic, but I think there’s more to him. He could be the evil one in this series. The pacing was fast-paced and in no time I read the first issue. I also love the drawings. They are beautiful an ...more
Nancy
The premise is intriguing - a stage magician from our world is dropped into an alternate universe where magic spells, not technology, run everything. In this world magic neither works for him or on him, so he turns to busking to survive. He shows off his sleight of hand illusions to a populace that can't conceive of how he does it. Enter a young protégé and some nefarious machinations.

Intriguing, but lacked something in the execution. The art did nothing for me. The story seemed to lack some dep
amy boese
I really liked the narrative of Smoke and Mirrors, especially how it turns expectations of a book about magic on their ear, but the art leaves me with a great sense of longing. For better art.

But, the world of comics appropriate for younger teens, with smart characters and good writing, aimed at readers who have outgrown children's comic storylines, and who are not reading comics for shock value is pretty small. This is a great addition.
Rosa
A stage magician ends up in a world where magic everyone has inherent real magic. His slight of hand tricks are considered incredible and a powerful magician who runs Trade Circle begins to consider him a threat. I thought this was a really interesting universe. I loved the relationships developed and I thought the forward and explanation notes were really great.

Chris
Smoke and Mirrors has a great story concept. Unfortunately the writing was mediocre and the art was distractingly bad. The penciling could have been okay, but the heavy handed inking topped off with atrocious coloring made the book feel like the product of an amateur. Still, the underlining concept is good enough to raise this from a one star book to two.
Patrick
Interesting story line. Very nice artwork. Interesting premise to incorporate an actual magician into the process. Bringing other disciplines into the storytelling process intrigues me as one really gets the feel for that other discipline that way and this book succeeds on that level!
Blair
An entertaining concept (what would happen if a stage magician found himself in a world where magic was real?) that isn't quite as fun as I thought it would be but is still a decent read.
Matt
A solidly fun comic. It takes a great high concept and manages to make some interesting choices, while also staying completely relateable. Good stuff.
Joy
Interesting premise, but the story is not well developed. Not thrilled with the artwork either. Not sure why this was on so many "Must Read" lists.
Monica
Interesting story concept and good age demo matching. This was fine, but I didn't love the story or the art. Felt mediocre in most every way.
Peter Salva
Extremely clever. Both a commentary on modern dependency on technology and a wonderful look at the world of a magician.
Mig
OK, I'm not a big graphic novel reader so these don't grab me.
Peacegal
Interesting concept, and entertaining enough.
Hightower
Hightower marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Annika Branson
Annika Branson marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Karen Ravn
Karen Ravn marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Bader Al Shirawi
Bader Al Shirawi marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Jade
Jade marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Micro-Series Volume 2 Blackhawks, Vol. 1: The Great Leap Forward The Arms of the Octopus G.I. Joe: Cobra Volume 2 Transformers Volume 1: For All Mankind