Start by marking “The Borrowers Afloat (The Borrowers #3)” as Want to Read:
The Borrowers Afloat (The Borrowers #3)

The Borrowers Afloat (The Borrowers #3)

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,954 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
Borrowers are tiny people who borrow from human Beans to survive. The Clock family, Pod, Homily, and Arrietty, want to find a mythical tiny village, but a flood threatens to wash them away.
Published April 1st 2003 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about The Borrowers Afloat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Borrowers Afloat

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlSwitch! The Lost Kingdoms of Karibu by Karen  Prince
Best Children's Fantasy
187th out of 560 books — 943 voters
The Borrowers by Mary NortonGulliver's Travels by Jonathan SwiftCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlThe Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid BanksThe Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum
Novels Featuring Miniature People
8th out of 39 books — 26 voters

More lists with this book...

Rainbow
Jun 02, 2011 Rainbow rated it really liked it
So the Borrowers continue to dominate our bedtime routine. And I continue to be shocked by how much my kids get out of these books, despite the antiquated language and bizarre plots. They're transfixed by the very idea of the Borrowers, and I have to think that they're appreciating Mary Norton's writing, which occasionally verges on poetry.

In this installment, the Borrowers move in with relatives who don't want them, move on when there isn't enough food, and spend much of the book floating down
Saoirse Sterling
You can read my full review of The Borrowers Afloat on my site XLeptodactylous.

The third in The Borrowers series of books, The Borrowers Afloat sees Pod, Homily and Arrietty living in blighted conditions with their relatives in a run-down cottage that is soon to be left empty because Tom, Arrietty's Human friend, is going to live with his uncle. The Borrower family then make the decision to set out for the much-spoken of Little Fordham, a model village that lies at the end of a dangerous river.
Judy
Nov 20, 2011 Judy rated it really liked it

In the third book of The Borrowers series, the family takes to the water. At the end of The Borrowers Afield, Pod, Homily, and their daughter Arrietty finally arrived at the cottage where Uncle Hendreary and his family lived. Their dwelling was between the walls behind the fireplace in the cottage of the gamekeeper for the Big House.

Initially they were all relieved to have found shelter and safety, but in this story it soon became apparent that being dependent on relatives and in very cramped qu
Nikki
Aug 27, 2010 Nikki rated it really liked it
Nothing much really happens in this instalment: having found the Hendrearies, they more or less have to turn around and leave again. Having done that, they decide to go to a mythical (to Borrowers) model village, where they'll be safe. A sort of paradise, for them. And while they wait for Spiller to take them there, they get carried off in the current, in his kettle-home, and have a run in with an old enemy.

Definitely not my favourite of the series. Arriety doesn't do much, and we see little of
Hailey Bug
Nov 06, 2013 Hailey Bug rated it it was amazing
The borrowers Afloat is a book written by, Mary Norton. This book is about a family that that is little. Each person in this family is smaller than your pinky. They set off on a journey to find a new home. After being seen by humans they had to find a new home. Many adventurous things happened as they were traveling.

I liked this book because it was interesting. You should read this book because it is exciting and adventurous. It takes your mind to new places. If you were one of the borrowers yo
Weston
Jun 09, 2015 Weston rated it it was amazing
Melody
Aug 11, 2009 Melody rated it really liked it
Installment #3 of the Borrowers saga was, for my money, the strongest. Spiller comes into his own here, and he's quite the taciturn but romantic hero. Arrietty may possibly learn a thing or two in this novel,though it's arguable, as she continues with the talking to humans at every opportunity. Pod's a resourceful if staid old gentleman. Homily drives me mad with her panics and her flighty girly taking on.
Indah W
Okayy.. waktunya membaca buku ke-3 dari seri The Borrowers, sebenernya udah rada2 lupa sih, haha.. karena gua bacanya seri ke-2 dulu terus buku pertama baru sekarang baca yang ke-3.

Mudah2an ceritanya masih bagus ;) I'll update later when I have finished reading the book :D
Shala Howell
What the Five-Year-Old thought: "I liked that they were floating in a kettle for a little bit, and that the gypsy got caught."
Karen Field
Feb 09, 2013 Karen Field rated it really liked it
This is the third book in the series. The biggest let down was that the beginning of the second chapter was almost word for word of the last chapter of the previous book. I found it distracting and a bit annoying...and even alarming, to some degree, as I don’t agree that an author should do this. It’s fine to ‘remind’ the reader of what’s gone before, but to literally copy and paste such a large section of text is not acceptable (in my opinion). However, once I got passed that bit I was happy to ...more
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
I was right...Ms Norton fell into the trap of old-fashioned "serial fiction" when she wrote The Borrowers. This third volume is very much a transitional episode, which begins with a rehash of the last chapter of Volume Two...well I say "rehash"--today we would call it "cut and paste." Which profoundly annoyed me! It's bad enough to consistently leave the readers hanging at the end of every volume (I cannot say "book"), but to start by filling a few pages with the previous "ending" is just poor w ...more
Ann Moody
Apr 13, 2016 Ann Moody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ar-tests-done
We were introduced to Arrietty several years ago through the exceptional anime film, so when I happened upon an old copy of this third book in the series, we decided to give it a try.

My ten year old "readee" enjoyed hearing this as a bedtime story over a couple of weeks, staying engaged, relating to the characters, asking questions about their circumstances. The idea of these Barbie-sized people trying to live secretly off of our discards is sheer brilliance and irresistible to a child.

As anoth
Dusty
And now -- my annual relaxing dip into The Borrowers series. Rereading the books now, as an adult living with an infant to whom I may someday read them, I do understand why they're no longer popular with youthful folk. For one, compared to your best-selling teenage fantasy series about wizards, vampire lovers, and the zombie apocalypse, they're rather boring. I mean, the book is essentially a comedy of the manners of the pint-sized bourgeoisie. For another, the characters are so fussy. Fortunate ...more
Shaalini
Dec 16, 2014 Shaalini rated it liked it
I read a book called the borrowers afloat by Mary by Norton. This book is about borrowers are tiny people who borrow from human beans to survive. The clock family of Pod homily and Arrietty want to find an mythical tiny villiage place where they could live. Suddenly, there was a flood pass by and wash them away. I've really like this book because its fun entertaining to read this book and I recommend to 6th and 7th graders who like to read this book.
Lauraloves
Feb 09, 2013 Lauraloves rated it liked it
I am currently working my way through the whole series of The Borrowers and this is the third out of five books. In this book Arrietty and her family are living with Aunt Lupy and her family in a gamekeepers cottage. However the family dont really like this arrangement and then the humans decide to move out so it could be fatal for all the borrowers with all those mouths to feed. So the three borrowers leave in the middle of the night with there friend Spiller who always turns up at the right mo ...more
Chris
Jan 14, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was very enjoyable, very fast-paced and very easy to read children's fantasy novel sequel. It had really well-drawn illustrations, great characters, really exciting adventure, and a really fast-paced story. This is the most exciting "The Borrowers" book I've ever read in my whole life. I'm looking forward to read "The Borrowers Aloft" and "The Borrowers Avenged." I really recommend this book to both children and adults.
Christy Reed
Dec 07, 2014 Christy Reed rated it really liked it
As with the first two, this book was again very light-hearted, very easy to read, and yet still interesting. This book talks about their lives in the game warden's house living with Homily's brother's family, and the difficulties they run into there as they keep searching for a new home. Another story I'd recommend if you want to do some light reading.
Victoria
Oct 08, 2015 Victoria rated it really liked it
Although this book wasn't as charming as the 2nd one, The Borrowers Afield, nor as fantastic and magical as the first one, The Borrowers, I still enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm on the 4th book now, The Borrowers Aloft, and all in all, I am finding a ton of delight in the world of the Borrowers.
Filippa
Oct 08, 2014 Filippa rated it liked it
I didn't enjoy The Borrowers Afloat as much as the earlier two, probably because Arrietty wasn't as active and creative as in the two first parts. I still enjoy Mary Nortons writing a lot though and I'm looking forward to part four.
Phillip
Mar 02, 2012 Phillip rated it really liked it
There's no place like home, unless it is someone else's home. Of course, other people's homes are a borrower’s normal habitat, but when it is necessary to move in with other borrowers, though they be relatives, even the most congenial of situations can lead to strained relations.

What is remarkable about the borrower books is how true Mary Norton keeps to her characters whether she they are in the midst of socially awkward situations, or are caught up in the ferocity of nature, or are in danger
Yellowoasis
Dec 04, 2010 Yellowoasis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010
I bought this and Aloft in an op shop in Opunake, Taranaki. When you're on holiday, and away from the things that comfort you, finding an old friend like a favourite book can be very satisfying. We went back to the motel and I had a bubble bath and a good read, listening to the blackbird next door singing out the day. I wouldn't swap that sort of experience with all the money in the world.
What a lovely book, I'd forgotten how much I love The Borrowers. The language is just delightful. There's a
Jane
May 17, 2015 Jane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am enjoying these much more now than when I read them first
Tuija
Oct 22, 2014 Tuija rated it really liked it
yhtä kiva kuin eka lukemalla, en muistanutkaan kaikkea.
June
Feb 13, 2016 June rated it really liked it
More fun and adventure with the tiny Borrower's!
Sahil Qaiser
Jan 18, 2013 Sahil Qaiser rated it really liked it
This Was A Little Bit Dull In Comparison To Other Borrowers Books (1, 2).
But still Imagination Of Mary Norton Is Very Much Praisable... I Think ""She Herself Becomes A Borrower When It Comes To Write The Series""..
Well, There Wasn't Much Of Arriety's role In This Part. But Spiller Is Showing Some Progress.. Homily, Pod And Arriety are Now Liking Spiller Very Much .. And They Feel Much Secure When He's Around.. Spiller Is Helping Them.. He Gave Them The Kettle to live in after they left Heandrie
Mary
Sep 08, 2014 Mary rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite childhood series..
Cathy Houston
May 05, 2015 Cathy Houston rated it liked it
fun read
Morgan
Aug 16, 2014 Morgan rated it really liked it
This book is a little slower then the first two books. Like other have said, this one doesn't have much going on. It gets better in my opinion towards the end. However, I still love the fact that the Clock family is the main character rather then the daughter alone. Makes these stories worth the read. Also wondering if these books have anything to do with the elements. The first being fire, second earth, third water, forth air, and last not sure yet. That only my guess though.
Jael
Sep 14, 2011 Jael rated it liked it
I always thought it was a tad bizarre that this book basically repeated so much of the end of the second book. All of them repeat information, so that anyone picking up any of the books can easily follow the story - but practically word-for-word reusing a chapter from the last book? Bizarre.

This book always seemed really short to me, perhaps because of the repetition. It is amazing how she made a whole book out of so few events and yet managed to keep it moving and interesting.
Moop
Jan 04, 2013 Moop rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-books
Interesting book written in 1955 so some very old words that I'm not sure my third graders would understand. The story is about some very tiny people ( mouse like) live in people's homes and borrow different items to survive. In this story they had to leave their current home and left via the sewer us a knife box as a boat. Maybe some kids woul like it but I Found it very slow. It's creative in the things the little people use for their daily life but that was about it for me!
  • Mary Poppins in the Park (Mary Poppins, #4)
  • Tree House Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #14)
  • The Rescuers (The Rescuers, #1)
  • Paddington at Large (Paddington, #5)
  • Seven-Day Magic (Tales of Magic, #7)
  • The Story of the Amulet (Five Children, #3)
  • Snowbound With Betsy
  • Henry and the Clubhouse (Henry, #5)
  • Missee Lee (Swallows and Amazons, #10)
  • Pippi Goes on Board
  • The Dolls' House
  • The Four-Story Mistake (The Melendy Family, #2)
  • Finn Family Moomintroll (The Moomins, #3)
Mary Norton (née Pearson) was an English children's author. She was the daughter of a physician, and was raised in a Georgian house at the end of the High Street in Leighton Buzzard. The house now consists of part of Leighton Middle School, known within the school as The Old House, and was reportedly the setting of her novel The Borrowers. She married Robert C. Norton in 1927 and had four children ...more
More about Mary Norton...

The Borrowers (6 books)
  • The Borrowers (The Borrowers, #1)
  • The Borrowers Afield (The Borrowers #2)
  • The Borrowers Aloft (The Borrowers #4)
  • The Borrowers Aloft: With the Short Tale Poor Stainless
  • The Borrowers Avenged (The Borrowers #5)