Start by marking “2001: L'Odyssée de l'espace” as Want to Read:
2001: L'Odyssée de l'espace

2001: L'Odyssée de l'espace (Space Odyssey #1)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  112,541 ratings  ·  2,137 reviews
Quelque part du côté d'un satellite de Saturne, une source de radiation extraordinairement puissante a été localisée. Un vaisseau y est envoyé en mission ultrasecrète, emportant à son bord un équipage dont une partie est en état d'hibernation et aussi Carl 9000, l'ordinateur qui est tout à la fois le navigateur, l'interlocuteur, voire le partenaire aux échecs des hommes.
Mass Market Paperback, 190 pages
Published March 15th 2008 by J'ai lu (first published 1968)

Jack Beltane
The book is always better than the film, but I'd never read 2001 before. What I didn't know, until reading the foreword, is that this novel was literally written in tandem with the film, with Clarke and Kubrick feeding each other ideas. At some points, however, filming overtook writing, or vice versa, and the two stories, though similar, split along two different paths.

After reading the book, the film becomes little more than a very well crafted container: It's pretty and neat to look at it, bu...more
Dirk Grobbelaar
Wow. This is really something. Forget what you think you know if you’ve seen the film.

This is surely a landmark piece of Science Fiction. Although Clarke divulges a lot more detail here than Kubrick incorporated into his film, the mystic aspect of space is still present. I also enjoyed learning more about the monoliths and their true nature and/or purpose.

For some reason I thought the opening sequence (the Dawn of Man) would be boring. It wasn’t. In fact, despite being much more comprehensive th...more
Kelli
Dave Bowman: Hello, HAL. Do you read me, HAL?
HAL: Affirmative, Dave. I read you.
Dave Bowman: Open the pod bay doors, HAL.
HAL: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Dave Bowman: What's the problem?
HAL: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.
Dave Bowman: What are you talking about, HAL?
HAL: This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.
Dave Bowman: I don't know what you're talking about, HAL.
HAL: I know that you and Frank were planning to disc...more
Eric Althoff
Aug 16, 2007 Eric Althoff rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci-Fi goons
Subversive, mysterious, incredible, mind-boggling, and ultimately hopeful, Arthur C. Clarke's "proverbial good science-fiction" novel--written concurrently with his and Stanley Kubrick's screenplay--is the ultimate trip into the universe and mankind's cycle of evolution. The apes of the first section evolve into spacefaring humankind, and then the protagonist, David Bowman, morphs into the Star Child, showcasing hope that from the darkness and the slime, this fragile human species might see beyo...more
Terry
Sep 11, 2013 Terry rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Terry by: Kirstine
Shelves: sci-fi
3 – 3.5 stars

Another entry in my occasional forays into classic SF and I’d have to say this one was definitely a success. The Big Ideas in this one are sufficiently big and yet handled deftly enough that they don’t completely overshadow the story. The prose and characterisation, as I generally expect from ‘classic’ SF, were unexceptional (one might say ‘workmanlike’), but I didn’t find them to be off-putting as I often do when I try dipping into earlier examples of the genre where the ‘big idea’...more
Henry Avila
The opening scene , a tribe of ape- men ,in Africa,finding a strange gyrating monolith .Another rock to these few primitives, at first.But after the light show,the tribe is fascinated.It teaches them how to make and use tools.Kill animals and prevent their own extinction. With an unlimited supply of food and not be dependent on plants and fruit ,for survival.Very rare during the long drought conditions(millions of years long).The human race might reach its destiny ,for better or worse ,after all...more
Stephen
4.5 Stars. The books of Arthur C. Clarke (at least the ten or so that I have read) have been consistently good and of very high quality. When I pick up one of his books, I can be confident that I won't be disappointed. This book is terrific and don't think that if you have seen the movie you know what is going to happen.
Scarlet
Dec 04, 2013 Scarlet rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jill
Recommended to Scarlet by: Samadrita
I did not expect a book on extra-terrestrial life to leave me thinking about the evolution of mankind.

You won't find any alien action here, no war-of-the-worlds scenario. Instead, 2001 is a book that relies on the sheer strength of ideas - which is what I believe good science-fiction should be about. All those intriguing what-if and maybe questions that can challenge your beliefs and change your perspective.

Maybe light is not the fastest medium there is. How do we know what lies buried on the mo...more
Maria
More than writing a review which I'm no expert on the science fiction genre, I just want to say that I'm a huge fan of Stanley Kubrick's work and this is one of my favorite movies of all time. The book "2001: a space odyssey" gave me a nice surprise as it's probably as good or even better than the film, from beginning to end there are so many good topics you could probably discuss on, from evolution to the possibility of extraterrestrial life.

Personally, there are two things that I enjoyed the m...more
C.S.
I was listening to the radio a few weeks back, and I came across an interview with a film critic and historian who'd recently published a book of 1000 movies everyone should see before they die. The host of the program asked about this film and that, how the book was compiled, what the author's favorite movies were, things of that nature. And then he asked him what he thought the most overrated film of all time was, to which the author immediately replied "Citizen Kane."

And of course he is quite...more
Lynn
I have seen Stanley Kubrick's movie, 2001: A Space Odyssey, a handful of times and I think it is an incredible film as will as a cinematic achievement. I still like Clarke's novel version of the story even more. Clarke's genius was in telling stories involving complex science and history altering events and telling it in a way that was easily understood. If you have only seen the movie, the book is even better. At least I think so.
Jadranka

Posle čitanja ovakvog remek-dela teško je naći prave reči koje bi iskazale moje divljenje prema Arturu Klarku; čovek je pravi genijalac, vizionar, a na momente mi se činilo kao da nije sa ove planete.

Priznajem, oduvek sam bila fascinirana Svemirom. Kada sam bila mala, Mesec je za mene bio nešto najveličanstvenije što postoji. Svakakve ideje su mi se u to vreme motale po glavi, počev od toga da li neko živi na Mesecu, pa do toga šta bi bilo kad bi Mesec jednog dana pao na Zemlju?! Šta, vi kao nis...more
Raeden Zen
An Engrossing, Philosophical Adventure Through Space and Time

“2001: A Space Odyssey” begins with a man-ape named Moon-Watcher millions of years ago and leaps forward through time to the present day when Dr. Heywood Floyd is sent to the Moon owing to a secretive and rumored “disease” that is believed to have inflicted the “American” portion of the colony; (the other end occupied by the Soviet Union). From there we move ahead a few years to doctors David Bowman and Francis Poole who are on a missi...more
Gabriel C.
-Arthur C. Clark is obsessed with exposition.
-He loves the idea of first contact with aliens to the point of sickness.
-He thinks that humans (who matter) are essentially rational technocrats, making their behavior both boring and puppet-like.
-The only female characters in this book were ape-men [sic] and two stewardesses.
-There were several pretty problematic passages, like the following:

"Yet already...the warmth and frequency of the conversations with their girls on Earth had begun to diminish...more
Manny
Unfortunately, most of the best bits in the movie aren't in the book. The first one I think of is the sequence where Bowman has finally arrived at Jupiter. In the book, it's Saturn, and the Monolith is in the moon Iapetus; this is clever, and from a scientific point of view a more plausible place to put it, but poetically is completely flat.

In the movie, we get this unforgettable picture of all the Jovian satellites majestically lining up to the strains of Thus Spake Zarathustra; every time I h...more
Kirstine

"And eventually even the brain might go. As the seat of consciousness, it was not essential; the development of electronic intelligence had proved that. The conflict between mind and machine might be resolved at last in the eternal truce of complete symbiosis…"

You know what my favorite thing in the universe is? Human consciousness. It is such a mind-boggling thing, it leaves me sleepless just marveling at the fact that it exists. It’s a goddamned miracle, is what it is. So I love this book. And...more
Nikki
Why did no one make me read 2001: A Space Odyssey before? It's really, really good. I don't know quite what I was expecting, but not a really easy, absorbing read like this. It's so famous now that of course you know some of what happens going in, but the attention to detail and the quality of the guesswork is really great, and some parts of it are gorgeous.

It might be a classic now, but it still has power. I was riveted. I was loath to put it down even when I got to the Angry Robot office for m...more
Curt
I could not put this down. Of course I am a fan of the movie. What smart guy isn’t? But after repeated watchings I still walk away scratching my head. The book tells a very similar story with more detail. The monkeys are still at the beginning and the travel sequence is at the end. The parallel between HAL and the intelligence that left the monolith is more obvious. HAL's actions are more humanly desperate. There is more story around Dave Bowman. But the ambiguous ending of the book seems to be...more
Amber McAlister
Sep 25, 2007 Amber McAlister rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dorky poet-types
my father used to read beautiful selections from this book to me before bed as a child. "they became farmers in the fields of stars."
in ninth grade, i read it in it's entirety and enjoyed it so much that i read it under the big lab tables in physical science instead of paying attention to my misogynistic science teacher, "coach rutledge". ugh. coaches should not be allowed to teach science. i learned more from arthur c clarke under the table.
a beautiful book of remarkably poetic nature for it's...more
nomad
This saying of Arthur C. Clark ultimately justifies what I felt reading “2001: A Space Odyssey”

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

Information I have regarding this book prior reading this book: It is a science fiction novel and a classic and a movie based on it, which is also a classic in its own way. So much appreciation made me eager to read this book in hoping to read about some kick-ass gadgetry and some awesome aliens...more
Elena
I'm not a wide reader of science fiction, having just read the major classics, however this book is without a doubt my favourite of them all.

Written in 1968, A. Clarke writes with a knowleageable confidence about a future world of space travel that has only just dawned on him in the light of the first moon landings; he does so as skillfully and imaginatively as Orwell did when writing 1984.

Clarke succeeds in capturing the magnificence of our solar system which he makes accessible to any reader,...more
Steve
Real quick, the author co-wrote the screenplay with Stanley Kubrick and wrote the novel at the same time. As they were filming Clarke would see what was being shot and make changes to the novel and screenplay. I am unaware of other books being written like this. It's pretty interesting.

I try not to compare books and movies. In this case they complement each other. I believe both are needed. I last saw the movie in high school and look forward to re-watching it, because:

The book makes sense...mos...more
Sean
This is the kind of sci fi I like. It is about humans exploring space rather than some soap opera about aliens in some other galaxy that i can barely follow. This works so much better as a novel than a movie as well. This story is very psychological as the reader can really get a sense of the loneliness and mystery of space. My only complaint is that the ending is a little confusing. Once you read it you will know what I mean.
Alexander Arsov
Arthur C. Clarke

2001: A Space Odyssey

Roc, Mass Market Paperback, 2000.

12mo. xx, 297 pp. To Stanley - In Memoriam [v-vi] and Foreword to the Millennial Edition [vii-xviii] by Arthur C. Clarke, 1999. Original Foreword, 1969 [xix-xx].

First published in 1969.

Chapter 6: Ascent o...more
Sara
Kat  Hooper
4.5 stars audio
Originally posted at FanLit (come visit us!)

“The thing’s hollow — it goes on forever — and — oh my God — it’s full of stars!”

2001: A Space Odyssey is the novel that Arthur C. Clarke wrote so that Stanley Kubrick could develop it into the now-famous movie. It’s partly based on two of Clarke’s short stories: “Encounter in the Dawn” (1953) and “The Sentinel” (1948). The first story tells of a technologically advanced race that visited Earth mil...more
José-contemplates-Saturn's Aurora

I have never read A. C. Clarke's 2001:A Space Odyssey; though I read many of his books.

And yet,I've seen a lot of times the movie by Stanley Kubrick. Oh The Monolyth! such a mysterious, portentous piece..."watching":
the hominids playing with tools... and fighting each other.

And the music by R.Strauss: unforgettable.
To my recall,it's been some years, the dialogues between Dave and supercomputer Hal are exquisite, the best ever. So the shutdown of Hal.

In 1995,in Sri Lanka, Clarke gave an inte...more
Stuart
I am not sure how the Movie adaptation compares to the original novel, but this story lacked substance. It begins with evolutionary theory and ends with evolutionary theory with hardly a real story in between. I have never watched the movie, and I am less inclined today than I was yesterday. The story is just not there.

From a philosophical and theological perspective, I found bits of interesting commentary. As the alien intelligence (not really a person or race) tampers with the "caveman" and ot...more
Heather
This was a fantastic book. Clarke was practically a poet in his descriptions; I can see why it's remained so popular.
I had seen the movie before reading the book on advice from a friend, and while I wish I hadn't because of the confusion some of the scenes caused me, the book did fill in the blanks that the movie left in my mind. I look forward to reading 2010 once my husband finishes it.
Andrea
This one surprised me. Sci-fi and I are still in the early stages of getting to know each other. Some books in the genre leave me a little underwhelmed, and some just bore me. But then comes along 2001: A Space Odyssey and blows all my previous bad experiences to cosmic smithereens. I read somewhere that the novel has a lot of technical detail: movement in weightlessness, sensory reaction to hibernation, psychological impacts of being stuck in a tin can floating through the vast nothingness... I...more
Nerds & Encre...: 2001:A Space Odyssey 13 16 Sep 17, 2014 04:46PM
Young Adult Book ...: August 2014: 2001: A Space Odyssey 1 4 Aug 18, 2014 10:44AM
Did anyone else think the ending was lame? 106 267 Aug 18, 2014 02:08AM
Clube de Leitura ...: * [Discussão] 2001: Uma Odisseia no Espaço (Arthur C. Clarke) 2 4 Aug 03, 2014 07:24AM
Please help me remember the title of this book. 4 109 Nov 08, 2013 08:50PM
4DRAKE: 2001 a space odyssey Review 2 6 Oct 31, 2013 06:20AM
  • The Caves of Steel (Robot, #1)
  • Eon (The Way, #1)
  • Gateway (Heechee Saga, #1)
  • Contact
  • The Invincible
  • City
  • Last and First Men
Arthur C. Clarke was one of the most important and influential figures in 20th century science fiction. He spent the first half of his life in England, where he served in World War Two as a radar operator, before emigrating to Ceylon in 1956. He is best known for the novel and movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, which he co-created with the assistance of Stanley Kubrick.

Clarke was a graduate of King's Co...more
More about Arthur C. Clarke...
Rendezvous with Rama (Rama, #1) Childhood's End 2010: Odyssey Two (Space Odyssey, #2) The Fountains of Paradise The City and the Stars

“Behind every man now alive stand thirty ghosts, for that is the ratio by which the dead outnumber the living. Since the dawn of time, roughly a hundred billion human beings have walked the planet Earth.

Now this is an interesting number, for by a curious coincidence there are approximately a hundred billion stars in our local universe, the Milky Way. So for every man who has ever lived, in this Universe there shines a star.

But every one of those stars is a sun, often far more brilliant and glorious than the small, nearby star we call the Sun. And many--perhaps most--of those alien suns have planets circling them. So almost certainly there is enough land in the sky to give every member of the human species, back to the first ape-man, his own private, world-sized heaven--or hell.

How many of those potential heavens and hells are now inhabited, and by what manner of creatures, we have no way of guessing; the very nearest is a million times farther away than Mars or Venus, those still remote goals of the next generation. But the barriers of distance are crumbling; one day we shall meet our equals, or our masters, among the stars.

Men have been slow to face this prospect; some still hope that it may never become reality. Increasing numbers, however are asking; 'Why have such meetings not occurred already, since we ourselves are about to venture into space?'

Why not, indeed? Here is one possible answer to that very reasonable question. But please remember: this is only a work of fiction.

The truth, as always, will be far stranger.”
109 likes
“The more wonderful the means of communication, the more trivial, tawdry, or depressing its contents seemed to be.” 48 likes