Start by marking “The Clitoral Truth” as Want to Read:
The Clitoral Truth

The Clitoral Truth

This highly informative tour of the clitoris is written with the clarity, exuberance, and accessibility of a sexuality workshop. Growing out of the author's work as a member of the Federation of Feminist Women's Health Centers, the study begins by debunking myths and inaccuracies and replacing them with anatomically precise detail. Containing personal accounts, comprehensi ...more
Published October 1st 2000 by Seven Stories Press (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Clitoral Truth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Clitoral Truth

Heather
This book is interesting in that it tells you how the female anatomy develops from conception and shows that much more than what is thought of conventionally as "the clit" makes up the clitoral system: hello 'taint! It also shows the ways in which male and female sexual organs are related anatomically, which, to me is very interesting. Anyway, if you're into sexuality and understanding the human anatomy and how to give or have better orgasms, then this book has value.

Unfortunately that is only
Jeffrey
Rebecca Chalker's establishes an avowedly feminist viewpoint in her manifesto on women's sexuality, a combination of history, anatomy, and self-help, intended to empower women to realize their own sexual potential.

Had I read it when it was published in the summer of 2000, I would have thought her militant anti-patriarchal viewpoint quaint. I would have thought it a product of my mother's generation (which she is) and having just been through eight years of a Democratic presidency and increasing
HeavyReader
Jun 21, 2007 HeavyReader rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in the clitoris
This book absolutely ROCKS! If you want to learn more about the clitoris (and who doesn't?), read this book.
katemfs
Feb 25, 2011 katemfs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great read! Really, truly. There are parts that feel outdated (it's nearly 10 years after it's original publishing), but these are easily overlooked (and that may just be my reader bias peeking out).

There were some gems that are good for debate and reflection, like: "Sex- how we think about it and how we do it- has changed more in the last three decades than it has in the last four or five thousand years."

I mean, yes. We "know" that. But it's incredible to really sit with that, and take in the
Dominique
Mar 02, 2012 Dominique rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: feminist, pop-science
Loved it. A friend/lover recommended this to me and I was excited to find it at my library. It was very informative with its scientific facts, myth busting and walk through of women's anatomy.

The best part about this book was that it encouraged a healthy image of one's sexual self. I felt a tinge of liberation after finishing this book. No shame masturbation, or kinks, or whatever floats your fancies. Sex is a wonderful and essential (beyond species survival) part of life, after all! In fact, w
Kelly Hurlbut
Jan 23, 2014 Kelly Hurlbut rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very informative book on feminist theory and the lost history of the clitoris. Diagrams the clitoris better then any book I have read to date. This book is designed to help women break out of the stereotypical male view of sex.
Rachel
May 25, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Olivia
Oct 02, 2009 Olivia marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Yes! Yes! Bathroom reading-thanks Badger.
James
Jun 24, 2009 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
:) Educational, inspiring, unflinchingly feminist. I learned a lot, agreed with just about all of it I think.
Lynn Vannucci
"An orgasm is like an anchovy,she says, little, long, and very salty." Or, if you prefer, "an exploding watermelon." Chalker is all about sensation - an important book.
Lisa
Aug 03, 2008 Lisa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I own this
Lynn Vannucci
Tim Jones
Feb 04, 2008 Tim Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent and highly informative on the true anatomy of the female sex system. Every person should read this book.
Shannon Brennan
Shannon Brennan rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2015
Aghavni
Aghavni rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2010
عبد الحنان
عبد الحنان rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2015
Rhonda
Rhonda rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2008
Chuck
Chuck rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2015
sandra o carolan
sandra o carolan rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2016
Lindz
Lindz rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2010
T
T rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2008
Carleyphelan
Carleyphelan rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2016
otaku
otaku rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2015
Pankaj Chauhan
Pankaj Chauhan rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
Zoe
Zoe rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2015
Rosalie
Rosalie rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2016
James
James rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2015
Shelby Ash
Shelby Ash rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2016
Fran Clemens
Fran Clemens rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Anal Pleasure & Health: A Guide for Men and Women
  • The Good Vibrations Guide to Sex: The Most Complete Sex Manual Ever Written
  • Female Ejaculation and the G-Spot: Not Your Mother's Orgasm Book!
  • The Ultimate Guide to Anal Sex for Women
  • The Ultimate Guide to Sex and Disability: For All of Us Who Live with Disabilities, Chronic Pain, and Illness
  • The Whole Lesbian Sex Book: A Passionate Guide for All of Us
  • The New Bottoming Book
  • SM 101: A Realistic Introduction
  • The Ultimate Guide to Fellatio: How to Go Down on a Man and Give Him Mind-Blowing Pleasure
  • The Big Bang: A Guide to the New Sexual Universe
  • The New Topping Book
  • Exhibitionism for the Shy
  • For Yourself: The Fulfillment of Female Sexuality (Revised and Updated)
  • Sex for One: The Joy of Selfloving
  • The Technology of Orgasm: "Hysteria," the Vibrator, and Women's Sexual Satisfaction
  • A Hand in the Bush: The Fine Art of Vaginal Fisting