Start by marking “How to Defend the Faith Without Raising Your Voice: Civil Responses to Catholic Hot-Button Issues” as Want to Read:

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  13 reviews
It is about winning friends, not arguments. It is about shedding light, not heat. It's about reframing the argument so hearts can be opened and minds can be inspired. How to Defend the Faith without Raising Your Voice is a new sort of apologetics. It is for those moments when you are thrust into the spotlight as the token Catholic whether the spotlight is simply at the off ...more
Published April 30th 2012 by Our Sunday Visitor (first published January 1st 2012)

Be the first to ask a question about How to Defend the Faith Without Raising Your Voice

Martin Moleski
Although the book is short and to the point, it took me a long time to work my way through it. I set it aside in favor of four or five other books that happened to come my way by God's providence.

I feel that I have benefited and will benefit from the advice to affirm all that can be affirmed in an antagonist's position before striving to clarify how it differs from that of the Church. I am self-centered, irascible, sarcastic, and domineering in discussion, none of which serves the Lord or His pe
Stuart
This book was given to me by Our Sunday Visitor in exchange for an honest review. How to Defend the Faith Without Raising Your Voice is a brief study in Apologetics. Although, there are many subtopics under the umbrella of Apologetics, this book focuses on civil issues including politics, homosexuality, euthanasia, and abortion to name a few. Each of these topics and the many more in this book are all considered hot-button political topics, but the Catholic Church remains steadfast in her views. ...more
Julie Davis
This is a book that every Catholic should read.

The reason I say that becomes abundantly apparent in the subhead: Civil Responses to Catholic Hot-Button Issues.
We know how it feels, finding yourself suddenly appointed the spokesman for the Catholic Church while you're standing at a photocopier, swigging a drink at the bar, or when a group of folks suddenly freezes, and all eyes fix on you.

"You're a Catholic, aren't you?" someone says.

"Um, yes," you confess, looking nervously at what now seems to
Ayame Sohma
A Spin Doctor's Dream Come True!

Following in the tradition of Aaron Eckhart (Thank You for Smoking) and The Yes Men comes a pocket-sized user's manual that would make Joseph Goebbels proud! Starting from the assumption that all Catholic teachings are true and that the ends justify any means used, Austen teaches believers to be polite while ignoring social ills and profound suffering that are the direct result of archaic and obsolete religious dogma! Here's just a sample:

- The Church has a DUTY t
Chad Torgerson
As Catholics, we are often called on to defend our faith, and for that reason, many Catholics love studying apologetics. How to Defend the Faith without Raising Your Voice: Civil Responses to Catholic Hot Button Issues takes apologetics in a whole new direction.

In their description of the book, the publisher, Our Sunday Visitor, puts it best:

It is about winning friends, not arguments. It is about shedding light, not heat. It’s about reframing the argument so hearts can be opened and minds can be
Kris McGregor
I have read many fine Catholic Apologetic books over the years, but I have to say “How to Defend the Faith Without Raising Your Voice: Civil Responses to Catholic Hot Button Issues” is the BEST! Dr. Austen Ivereigh, along with the Our Sunday Visitor Editor in Chief John Norton, have compiled the “must have” text for any and all Catholics who desire to respond to the call for the New Evangelization. More than answers to just about any issue that could come forward in a discussion about the Cathol ...more
J.T. Therrien
The only reason I'm not giving this book five stars is because of the limitations, which are not a fault of the book or of its author, but of this reviewer.

I am a Canadian, and How to Defend the Faith is primarilly an American way of addressing the social issues that critics bring to the Church. Not a problem, unless one isn't an American citizen.

Of course, it makes sense that hot-button issues such as abortion, euthanasia, AIDS care, women and the Church, gay-rights, clerical sex abuse, etc, sh
Dave Brandt
Enjoyed the structure the author used. Final chapter pulled it together well. Ultimately real evangelization comes down to opening your heart to others about how you have experienced Jesus.
TC
A well thought-out book that can provide the practicing Catholic with ammo to defend the faith. But it helps to read this book slow as you would a college level literary theory text.
Ann R
Good explanations of why the church teaches what it does. Not only will it help you defend the faith, it can strengthen yours.
Sandy
This book explains the WHY behind the Catholic church's stance on a variety of controversial life issues.
Cathy For
Really helps make 'apologetics' make sense!
Thomas
Sep 13, 2014 Thomas rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: American Catholics, Christians,
Shelves: 2014, christianity
How To Defend the Faith Without Raising Your Voice is a worthwhile read for all Catholics. It addresses nine different, relevant issues in separate chapters. Each chapter begins with the questions commonly asked of the Church, followed by a description of the issue and explanation for the belief. It is commendable that much of the apologetic approach the issues from an anthropological and social perspective, rather than a theological one. Reason, unaided by faith, can tell you why abortion and a ...more
Ehka
Ehka marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
John Romano
John Romano marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Wert
Wert marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Meg
Meg added it
May 02, 2015
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Jennie
Jennie marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Romina Villaflor-Wilson
Romina Villaflor-Wilson marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Where is That in the Bible?
  • Forming Intentional Disciples: The Path to Knowing and Following Jesus
  • Bible Basics for Catholics: A New Picture of Salvation History
  • Models of the Church
  • Why Do Catholics Do That?: A Guide to the Teachings and Practices of the Catholic Church
  • Crossing The Tiber: Evangelical Protestants Discover the Historical Church
  • The World's First Love: Mary, Mother of God
  • God Is Love--Deus Caritas Est: Encyclical Letter
  • Walking With God: A Journey through the Bible
  • These Beautiful Bones: An Everyday Theology of the Body
  • Good News About Sex & Marriage: Answers to Your Honest Questions about Catholic Teaching
  • Theology for Beginners
  • The Discernment of Spirits: An Ignatian Guide for Everyday Living
  • The Fathers Know Best: Your Essential Guide to the Teachings of the Early Church
  • What We Can't Not Know: A Guide
  • Time for God: A Guide to Mental Prayer
  • Open Mind, Faithful Heart: Reflections on Following Jesus
  • The History of the Catholic Church: From the Apostolic Age to the Third Millennium
2073503
Austen Ivereigh is a British writer, journalist, and commentator on religious and political affairs who holds a PhD from Oxford University. His work appears regularly in the Jesuit magazine America and in many other periodicals. He is well known on British media, especially on the BBC, Sky, ITV and Al-Jazeera, as a Catholic commentator.
More about Austen Ivereigh...
The Great Reformer: Francis and the Making of a Radical Pope The Great Reformer: Francis and the making of a radical pope Faithful Citizens: A Practical Guide to Catholic Social Teaching and Community Organising Tempo di misericordia: Vita di Jorge Mario Bergoglio Tempo di misericordia

“The accusation against the Church for being either right or left wing tells you more about the contemporary political assumptions than about the political inclination of Catholicism. The Church will seem both "right wing" (in promoting the traditional family, opposing abortion, euthanasia, embryonic research, etc.) and "left wing" (in advocating the rights of minorities, social justice, active state support for the poorest, etc.), depending on the political bias of the one accusing .The same bias afflicts Catholics. There are pro-life Catholics who think Catholic social teaching is "socialist," and pro-social-justice Catholics who think pro-life causes are right wing.

The Church will always be accused of "interfering" or trying to "impose" its view when the critic disagrees with its stance; but the same critic will say nothing when the Church has intervened politically on a matter with which he or she agrees. And if the Church has stayed silent, the critic will accuse it of "failing to speak out." Put another way, people are against the Church "interfering" in what they would much rather have left alone; and in favor of "interfering" in what they believe should be changed.

Why and when does the Church speak out on political questions? The answer is rarely and cautiously, and almost always because it is a matter which touches on the Gospel, on core freedoms and rights (such as the right to life, or to religious freedom), or on core principles of Catholic social teaching. In these cases, the Church not only needs to speak out; it has a duty to do so.”
1 likes