Start by marking “EMT: Beyond the Lights and Sirens” as Want to Read:
EMT: Beyond the Lights and Sirens

EMT: Beyond the Lights and Sirens

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  83 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
"It bears witness to a nobility of spirit that exists in special communities."
ROANOKE TIMES & WORLD NEWS
Emergency Medical Technician Pat Ivey takes you inside the ambulance and on the road to share in the hope and compassion, tears and laughter, of volunteer rescue squad personnel. You'll experience the rush of adrenaline and the pain of loss. You'll go beyond the ligh
Mass Market Paperback, 241 pages
Published November 28th 1990 by Ivy Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about EMT, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about EMT

Carianne Carleo-Evangelist
Dec 22, 2015 Carianne Carleo-Evangelist rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
An interesting, light read despite the subject matter. Although we knew it was dated by her daughter's age and the gift of twin cabbage patch kids, it didn't hit me how old this was until they referenced AIDS as "new" that discussed having to start wearing gloves. It turned out this was a 2014 reprint of a 1990 title. No matter, the human interest stories were still relevant
Dick Gullickson
Feb 07, 2014 Dick Gullickson rated it really liked it
The true story of the Lake of the Woods (volunteer) Rescue Squad written by one of the pioneers. An accurate description of the stress caused by patients who die, long hours away from family, working nights, and running with career (paid) staff members from various jurisdictions. Great to read if you want to know what it is like to “run” on the rescue squad.
Lynn
Sep 16, 2015 Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved It

This book brought back so many wonderful memories of the time I spent on a rescue squad. The losses hurt but the saves make them bearable. Thanks Pal Ivey for the reminder of an important time in my life and thank you for your service. This book is the real deal. Highly recommended.
Jaci
Jun 18, 2015 Jaci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting and touching

This book was very well written and kept my interest throughout. Pat Ivey tells the story of her life as an EMT with compassion and discretion. If you are looking for a gorefest of graphic descriptions, this is not the book for you. Rather it is the story of the emotions that drive one rural EMT to join, stay with, and progress in a volunteer country ambulance squad. It was a very personal and compelling read.
Darrell Craig
Oct 01, 2015 Darrell Craig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very informative book on the things Emt's go through on a given day.

I chose this rating because it was very well written but I had trouble staying with it all the way through.
cheryl davis
Sep 24, 2015 cheryl davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

I enjoy reading real life books of this kind. The author did not use a lot of the medical terms so it easy for every one to read it.
Heidi
Jun 24, 2012 Heidi rated it really liked it
With compassion and insight, Pat Ivey tells of her experiences as a volunteer EMT in rural Virginia, from what first compelled her to join the local rescue squad to being one of the most experienced members on the team. Any emergency services volunteer could probably relate to some of the stories Pat has to tell, and to the many different emotions associated with the job. I found Pat’s narrative engaging and interesting, and it validated many of my own experiences.
Ed
Feb 22, 2007 Ed added it
This is one my favorite books of all time. It is unfortunate that more EMTs are not like Pat and it has become de rigeur to be "the burn out medic." However, Pat encapsulates what I aspire to be as an EMT: competant, easy-going, caring and sincere.
Chris
Feb 21, 2011 Chris rated it really liked it
I read this quite a few years ago, but I remember it as being written with good detail and passion for the job
 Sara
Feb 20, 2012 Sara rated it liked it
Shelves: medicine
A very readable and accurate view of a rural volunteer rescue squad in the 1980s.
Edward Sipel
Oct 12, 2009 Edward Sipel rated it really liked it
Shelves:
Awesome so far
Kirsten
Oct 19, 2008 Kirsten rated it liked it
I can relate.
Julie Sisson mizner
Julie Sisson mizner marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Trisha Priest
Trisha Priest marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Kimmy Pinson
Kimmy Pinson marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Erika
Erika rated it did not like it
Mar 27, 2016
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Elaine
Elaine rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2016
Ellen
Ellen marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Bobbi
Bobbi marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Saltymedic
Saltymedic rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2016
Emmalynn Pither
Emmalynn Pither marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Abdullah
Abdullah rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
Becca Richardson
Becca Richardson rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2016
Deborah
Deborah marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Debbie Richards
Debbie Richards marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Mumofthreeboys
Mumofthreeboys rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Moriah Bertelli
Moriah Bertelli rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2015
Sarah Hall
Sarah Hall marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2015