Start by marking “EMT: Beyond the Lights and Sirens” as Want to Read:
EMT: Beyond the Lights and Sirens

EMT: Beyond the Lights and Sirens

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  7 reviews
"It bears witness to a nobility of spirit that exists in special communities."
ROANOKE TIMES & WORLD NEWS
Emergency Medical Technician Pat Ivey takes you inside the ambulance and on the road to share in the hope and compassion, tears and laughter, of volunteer rescue squad personnel. You'll experience the rush of adrenaline and the pain of loss. You'll go beyond the ligh
Mass Market Paperback, 241 pages
Published November 28th 1990 by Ivy Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about EMT, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about EMT

Dick Gullickson
The true story of the Lake of the Woods (volunteer) Rescue Squad written by one of the pioneers. An accurate description of the stress caused by patients who die, long hours away from family, working nights, and running with career (paid) staff members from various jurisdictions. Great to read if you want to know what it is like to “run” on the rescue squad.
Heidi
With compassion and insight, Pat Ivey tells of her experiences as a volunteer EMT in rural Virginia, from what first compelled her to join the local rescue squad to being one of the most experienced members on the team. Any emergency services volunteer could probably relate to some of the stories Pat has to tell, and to the many different emotions associated with the job. I found Pat’s narrative engaging and interesting, and it validated many of my own experiences.
Ed
Feb 22, 2007 Ed added it
This is one my favorite books of all time. It is unfortunate that more EMTs are not like Pat and it has become de rigeur to be "the burn out medic." However, Pat encapsulates what I aspire to be as an EMT: competant, easy-going, caring and sincere.
Chris
I read this quite a few years ago, but I remember it as being written with good detail and passion for the job
 Sara
A very readable and accurate view of a rural volunteer rescue squad in the 1980s.
Edward Sipel
Awesome so far
Kirsten
I can relate.
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Kyle Meehl
Kyle Meehl marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Joe Ahlstrom
Joe Ahlstrom marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Imad
Imad marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Jessica Kinsey
Jessica Kinsey marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014