Start by marking “Adam Canfield, Watch Your Back!” as Want to Read:
Adam Canfield, Watch Your Back!

Adam Canfield, Watch Your Back! (Adam Canfield #2)

The star reporter is caught up in a big scoop — but this time it’s about him — in a savvy, engaging story that takes on school bullies and other tyrants.

For overprogrammed middle-grader Adam Canfield, waking up to a snow day is a dream come true — a chance to sleep late, put off planning the next issue of THE SLASH, and make some quick cash with his shovel. But the dream t
Published October 23rd 2007 by Candlewick Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Adam Canfield, Watch Your Back!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adam Canfield, Watch Your Back!

C.C. Thomas
May 16, 2011 C.C. Thomas rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Middle-Grade Readers and Up
Recommended to C.C. by: find books by title / author / isbn
Shelves: young-adult
This is the second book in the Adam Canfield series, but the first I've read. It was a Young Hoosier nominee for 2010 so I was intrigued enough to pick it up and give it a try.

My only regret is that I waited so late to start this series. I absolutely loved it from beginning to end.

The novel centers around a middle school student named Adam Canfield who is co-editor of his school newspaper, The Slash. At the very beginning of the book, Adam is a victim of a mugging by fellow classmates. In additi
Susie
Jul 15, 2012 Susie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't a big fan of the first Adam Canfield book, but liked this much better. The more I read, the more and more I liked it. At first, I figured here was Michael Winerip, NYTimes reporter, yet another primarily-adult author figuring to cash in on the kiddie market. At times I felt it was somewhat stereotypical and condescending, yet then I realized that there aren't very many books at all that can take on several moral dilemmas, be thought-provoking, and still funny.

Winerip does a good job of
Pamela
Adam Canfield, Watch Your Back! (Adam Canfield Series #2) / written by Michael Winerip (2007) -- SUMMARY: Sequel to ADAM CANFIELD OF THE SLASH that picks up where the first story ended. Middle schooler Adam Canfield welcomes a snow day as an opportunity to earn some money. After being mugged by some high school bullies for his profits, Adam becomes the focus of unwanted media attention. COMMENTS: The quality of the story is just as great as the first and adds a great new character -- that of Sha ...more
Michael Mcdaid
Adam Canfield 2nd book deals with a lot more than the first book did. It deals with bullying, an autism student, and racial issues. All in a middle grade book that is about a school newspaper The Slash that discovers interesting facts behind some "un-important" stories.
The story is better than the first book. Especially in its dealings with bullying. And how many studets are not the victims but the ones doing the bullying.
I liked the book though it does get carried away with itself at times. Wh
Savindi
3.5/5. I think my favourite book in this series will be Adam Canfield: The Last Reporter. This book was good and there were some really good moments, but it didn't quite 'wow' me the way the last book did. Still a great read though! I would definitely recommend it as well.
A.J.
Aug 05, 2013 A.J. rated it really liked it
I like the moral dimension of this series, and the wordplay - in this one I particularly enjoyed the idea of an 'outrage outage' - something that anyone who has spent any time on Twitter will understand completely. The stories are fun while also managing to be gently educational about the realities of journalism.
Maddy
Sep 07, 2011 Maddy rated it really liked it
Adam inspired me to start a STUDENT newspaper. We have one at school, but the teachers write it. I think the school should let the kids write!! Adam digs 'till he uncovers the truth! Adam Canfield The Last Reporter (Adam Canfield of the Slash) by Michael Winerip
Hilary
Adam Canfield is back to get the scoop! Unfortunately, this time he is the scoop, after he is robbed of his snow shoveling money which spurs the staff of the Slash to create a bully survey that will be published in the Spring paper. More run-ins with Mrs. Boland an her hair-brained schemes to sanitize the community abound. Same stuff as the first book, a great follow-up.
Andy
Aug 28, 2008 Andy rated it really liked it
A bit less cohesive than the first one, but still really involving, and Adam is a really likeable, believeable guy. Also, the ending bodes well for the possibility of a third book...anybody know if there's plans for a trilogy (or more)?
Dy'talzha
Apr 17, 2013 Dy'talzha rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing! at first I was thought it was going to be boring but it turned out okay. I really liked the part when Adam had a paln to ruin / make mher un comfortable when, he had came to with a cold he went to her office and smugged all his snot on to the glass table. It was very funny.
Kim
Nov 02, 2009 Kim rated it liked it
Shelves: chapter, bullying, funny, boys
This is a sequel to "Adam Canfield of the Slash". Ths Slash is a student newspaper and Adam is one of the editors. This time, the newspaper tackles the issue of bullying in school. Very fast paced and funny. (Great "Boy" book)
Alexis
Apr 10, 2016 Alexis rated it really liked it
This book is NOT about basketball. It's about a boy reporter and his friend that try to unviel the truths in their school. It was a good book but I would not have picked it out.(I had to read it for school.)
Heather
Dec 15, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-fiction
The good thing about this book is that you could give it to both girl readers and boy readers. Most of the story is about a smart, funny kid. Some of the story is about a scandel. Less of the story is about a mugging. If this doesn't sound interesting, then this is probably not the book for you.
Kristen
Apr 02, 2009 Kristen rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, 2009
This and the first Adam Canfield novel are rather good. We listened to the first one several years ago and loved it. This one is equally filled with kids facing modern day issues and triumphing over the evil adults.
Katie
Nov 14, 2010 Katie rated it really liked it
Recommended by Mary Pat Callihan
Amanda
Jun 25, 2009 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Another great book about the power of the written word. It really shows how even kids can make a difference in the lives of others and seek the truth. Can they save the Slash?
Taj
Dec 04, 2013 Taj rated it really liked it
ok
Rachel
Jul 20, 2008 Rachel rated it really liked it
Nice story about two reporters who take on big stories. The characters are realistic and well drawn. Reviewed for the Dolly Gray Award
Ann
Sep 27, 2010 Ann added it
Shelves: contemporary, 2007
Ages 9+ (some sneaky adult humor - a teacher named "Bleepin" who is referred to as "That Bleepin idiot") A worthy followup!
Susan
Aug 18, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it
I read this as an audiobook on vacation with my family. We all enjoyed it - it kept us on the edge of our seats and made the miles fly by!
Callie
Apr 03, 2009 Callie rated it really liked it
More muckraking in Harris Elementary; Co-editor Adam takes on bullies, environmental enemies, powerful townspeople, and his science teacher.
Liz
Jul 14, 2011 Liz rated it liked it
Young Adult
Aaron
Apr 26, 2008 Aaron is currently reading it
I think this is a great book so far
CAM
Sep 01, 2015 CAM rated it it was amazing
what i think of the book im reading.its a good book because it has alot of good details and' you can picture whats happen in the story so im really enjoying.
Jonathan
Oct 03, 2008 Jonathan rated it liked it
So far Adam being troubled by bulleis who took his snow shoveling money, then his friends at the school paper find out and want to write about it in their catalog.
Marilyn
Sep 11, 2011 Marilyn rated it liked it
Another lesson for school journalists. Well written, but I got enough from the first Adam Canfield book without reading the sequel. I don't think I'll bother with the third in the trilogy.
Kasey Cadwell
Jun 18, 2010 Kasey Cadwell rated it it was ok
Not the best Young Hoosier I've read in my life time ... Kind of boring and lengthy, although it was about school journalism, something that was once near and dear to my heart.
Molly Giddens
Jul 01, 2010 Molly Giddens rated it it was amazing
Great book, fun characters, and smalltwists that keep you entertained. Loved it, and I want to read more Adam Canfield books!
Jayne
Sep 14, 2010 Jayne rated it really liked it
What a great series for budding journalists!
Caitlinleah
Dec 31, 2009 Caitlinleah rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-o-week
didn't mind not reading the first one. very engaging. i loved how race wasn't really an issue until it was. i'm not sure why i love high school reporter stories so much.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Revenge of the Loser (The Loser List #2)
  • Agnes Parker . . . Girl in Progress
  • Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Writing Thank-you Notes
  • Billy Creekmore
  • The Very Ordered Existence of Merilee Marvelous
  • Sadie and Ratz
  • Trail of Fate (The Youngest Templar, #2)
  • This Is What I Did
  • Access Denied: And Other Eighth Grade Error Messages
  • The Garden of My Imaan
  • Do Not Pass Go
  • The Case of the Time-Capsule Bandit (Randi Rhodes, Ninja Detective, #1)
  • The Thing About Georgie
  • The Visconti House
  • Crunch
  • The Indigo Notebook (Notebook, #1)
  • Judy Moody's Mini-Mysteries and Other Sneaky Stuff for Super-Sleuths
  • The Odds of Getting Even (Tupelo Landing, #3)
"When Michael Winerip leaves a phone message, no one worries too much about calling him back. But when Michael Winerip of the New York Times leaves a phone message, the call gets returned fast.

"Those are the special powers I wanted to give Adam Canfield and the whole Slash staff at Harris Elementary/Middle School. Adam, Jennifer and Phoebe have the power to correct serious wrongs-- based not on th
More about Michael Winerip...

Adam Canfield (3 books)