Start by marking “Adam Canfield, Watch Your Back!” as Want to Read:
Adam Canfield, Watch Your Back!

Adam Canfield, Watch Your Back! (Adam Canfield #2)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  164 ratings  ·  30 reviews
The star reporter is caught up in a big scoop — but this time it’s about him — in a savvy, engaging story that takes on school bullies and other tyrants.

For overprogrammed middle-grader Adam Canfield, waking up to a snow day is a dream come true — a chance to sleep late, put off planning the next issue of THE SLASH, and make some quick cash with his shovel. But the dream t
Published October 23rd 2007 by Candlewick Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Adam Canfield, Watch Your Back!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adam Canfield, Watch Your Back!

IndyPL Kids Book Blog
We first met Adam Canfield in Adam Canfield of the Slash, and Adam’s still got a lot going on. He’s a good student, he plays sports and he is co-editor of his school’s newspaper, The Slash, with his friend Jennifer. In Adam Canfield Watch Your Back!, Adam becomes one of the stories he usually writes about. Happy about an unexpected snow day, Adam heads out to shovel snow to make some extra spending money. On his way home, he is mugged by some high school kids and his money is stolen. At school t ...more
Susie
I wasn't a big fan of the first Adam Canfield book, but liked this much better. The more I read, the more and more I liked it. At first, I figured here was Michael Winerip, NYTimes reporter, yet another primarily-adult author figuring to cash in on the kiddie market. At times I felt it was somewhat stereotypical and condescending, yet then I realized that there aren't very many books at all that can take on several moral dilemmas, be thought-provoking, and still funny.

Winerip does a good job of
C.C. Thomas
May 20, 2011 C.C. Thomas rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Middle-Grade Readers and Up
Recommended to C.C. by: find books by title / author / isbn
Shelves: young-adult
This is the second book in the Adam Canfield series, but the first I've read. It was a Young Hoosier nominee for 2010 so I was intrigued enough to pick it up and give it a try.

My only regret is that I waited so late to start this series. I absolutely loved it from beginning to end.

The novel centers around a middle school student named Adam Canfield who is co-editor of his school newspaper, The Slash. At the very beginning of the book, Adam is a victim of a mugging by fellow classmates. In additi
Pamela
Adam Canfield, Watch Your Back! (Adam Canfield Series #2) / written by Michael Winerip (2007) -- SUMMARY: Sequel to ADAM CANFIELD OF THE SLASH that picks up where the first story ended. Middle schooler Adam Canfield welcomes a snow day as an opportunity to earn some money. After being mugged by some high school bullies for his profits, Adam becomes the focus of unwanted media attention. COMMENTS: The quality of the story is just as great as the first and adds a great new character -- that of Sha ...more
Michael Mcdaid
Adam Canfield 2nd book deals with a lot more than the first book did. It deals with bullying, an autism student, and racial issues. All in a middle grade book that is about a school newspaper The Slash that discovers interesting facts behind some "un-important" stories.
The story is better than the first book. Especially in its dealings with bullying. And how many studets are not the victims but the ones doing the bullying.
I liked the book though it does get carried away with itself at times. Wh
Savindi
3.5/5. I think my favourite book in this series will be Adam Canfield: The Last Reporter. This book was good and there were some really good moments, but it didn't quite 'wow' me the way the last book did. Still a great read though! I would definitely recommend it as well.
Hilary
Adam Canfield is back to get the scoop! Unfortunately, this time he is the scoop, after he is robbed of his snow shoveling money which spurs the staff of the Slash to create a bully survey that will be published in the Spring paper. More run-ins with Mrs. Boland an her hair-brained schemes to sanitize the community abound. Same stuff as the first book, a great follow-up.
Maddy
Adam inspired me to start a STUDENT newspaper. We have one at school, but the teachers write it. I think the school should let the kids write!! Adam digs 'till he uncovers the truth! Adam Canfield The Last Reporter (Adam Canfield of the Slash) by Michael Winerip ...more
A.J.
I like the moral dimension of this series, and the wordplay - in this one I particularly enjoyed the idea of an 'outrage outage' - something that anyone who has spent any time on Twitter will understand completely. The stories are fun while also managing to be gently educational about the realities of journalism.
Heather
The good thing about this book is that you could give it to both girl readers and boy readers. Most of the story is about a smart, funny kid. Some of the story is about a scandel. Less of the story is about a mugging. If this doesn't sound interesting, then this is probably not the book for you.
Dy'talzha
This book was amazing! at first I was thought it was going to be boring but it turned out okay. I really liked the part when Adam had a paln to ruin / make mher un comfortable when, he had came to with a cold he went to her office and smugged all his snot on to the glass table. It was very funny.
Andy
A bit less cohesive than the first one, but still really involving, and Adam is a really likeable, believeable guy. Also, the ending bodes well for the possibility of a third book...anybody know if there's plans for a trilogy (or more)?
Kim
This is a sequel to "Adam Canfield of the Slash". Ths Slash is a student newspaper and Adam is one of the editors. This time, the newspaper tackles the issue of bullying in school. Very fast paced and funny. (Great "Boy" book)
Kristen
This and the first Adam Canfield novel are rather good. We listened to the first one several years ago and loved it. This one is equally filled with kids facing modern day issues and triumphing over the evil adults.
Marilyn
Another lesson for school journalists. Well written, but I got enough from the first Adam Canfield book without reading the sequel. I don't think I'll bother with the third in the trilogy.
Kasey DeVore
Not the best Young Hoosier I've read in my life time ... Kind of boring and lengthy, although it was about school journalism, something that was once near and dear to my heart.
Amanda
Another great book about the power of the written word. It really shows how even kids can make a difference in the lives of others and seek the truth. Can they save the Slash?
Caitlinleah
didn't mind not reading the first one. very engaging. i loved how race wasn't really an issue until it was. i'm not sure why i love high school reporter stories so much.
Jonathan
So far Adam being troubled by bulleis who took his snow shoveling money, then his friends at the school paper find out and want to write about it in their catalog.
Callie
More muckraking in Harris Elementary; Co-editor Adam takes on bullies, environmental enemies, powerful townspeople, and his science teacher.
Susan
I read this as an audiobook on vacation with my family. We all enjoyed it - it kept us on the edge of our seats and made the miles fly by!
Rachel
Nice story about two reporters who take on big stories. The characters are realistic and well drawn. Reviewed for the Dolly Gray Award
Molly Giddens
Great book, fun characters, and smalltwists that keep you entertained. Loved it, and I want to read more Adam Canfield books!
Ann
Sep 27, 2010 Ann added it
Shelves: 2007, contemporary
Ages 9+ (some sneaky adult humor - a teacher named "Bleepin" who is referred to as "That Bleepin idiot") A worthy followup!
Lindsey
This was a fast-paced read that was an inside look into investigative journalism. I enjoyed it.
Jayne
What a great series for budding journalists!
Aaron
Apr 26, 2008 Aaron is currently reading it
I think this is a great book so far
Katie
Recommended by Mary Pat Callihan
Liz
Young Adult
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Revenge of the Loser (The Loser List #2)
  • This Is What I Did
  • The Garden of My Imaan
  • Sammy Keyes and the Night of Skulls (Sammy Keyes, #14)
  • The Case of the Time-Capsule Bandit (Randi Rhodes, Ninja Detective, #1)
  • Crunch
  • Violet Raines Almost Got Struck by Lightning
  • The Thing about Georgie
  • The Very Ordered Existence of Merilee Marvelous
  • Access Denied: And Other Eighth Grade Error Messages
  • Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Writing Thank-you Notes
  • Sadie and Ratz
  • Return of the Homework Machine (The Homework Machine #2)
  • The Visconti House
  • The Silver Spoon of Solomon Snow
  • Vanishing Act: Mystery at the U.S. Open (The Sports Beat, #2)
  • The Heart of Glass  (Tales from the Five Kingdoms, #3)
  • Billy Creekmore
"When Michael Winerip leaves a phone message, no one worries too much about calling him back. But when Michael Winerip of the New York Times leaves a phone message, the call gets returned fast.

"Those are the special powers I wanted to give Adam Canfield and the whole Slash staff at Harris Elementary/Middle School. Adam, Jennifer and Phoebe have the power to correct serious wrongs-- based not on th
More about Michael Winerip...

Adam Canfield (3 books)
  • Adam Canfield of the Slash
  • Adam Canfield: The Last Reporter
Adam Canfield of the Slash 9 Highland Road: Sane Living for the Mentally Ill Adam Canfield: The Last Reporter