Start by marking “Actually, It Is Your Parents' Fault: ...that your romantic relationship isn't working. (Here's how to fix it.)” as Want to Read:

The ultimate relationship repair from the bestselling author of Boys Will Put You on a Pedestal (So They Can Look Up Your Skirt) and a psychologist with decades of experience

Every committed relationship goes through rough patches. What’s the difference between those that move forward and those that disintegrate? Knowledge, effort and a desire to strengthen the bond. I

Published January 22nd 2008 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Actually, It Is Your Parents' Fault, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Actually, It Is Your Parents' Fault

Leah
Aug 01, 2007 Leah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who want to learn more about interpersonal relationships
This book explains how the formation of your personality and the muddied waters of your unconscious substantially impact your interpersonal relationships. In addition to the explanation is the optimistic indication that with knowledge/understanding of your unconscious needs and those of your partner, you will be more aptly disposed to having healthy, successful relationships.
Sheryl Tribble
I picked this up because the title made me laugh. While the authors do hasten to say that laying blame is not useful, overall I still think they overstress "nurture, not nature." While they sometimes obliquely recognize that two people in similar situations react differently, they also argue that "Personality is Experience, Internalized." As a parent of five kids, I don't think it's that easy. One of my kids was essentially a cheerful, low-maintenance optimist from birth; another seems to be equ ...more
Jessica
Oct 25, 2010 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up the audio version of this book because I wanted to criticize it for its title, and actually, the title is misleading. Right away the authors make clear that it is not exactly your parents' faults because they turned out as they did due to their own upbringings, and it doesn't matter how you ended up as you did -- it just matters that you realize how and what you can do about it. It also makes the excellent point, over and over again, that it's also not so important what your partner ...more
Hans
Jul 30, 2009 Hans rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very insightful book. I have always found it interesting that for most things you need to receive training / education or some other kind of qualification for most major responsibilities in life, not so for marriage or parenting. Ironic, that the two most critical relationships are at the mercy of complete amateurs.

I could rant and rave a bit about this book and how the author isn't qualified to write a relationship book. But I won't cause I did get some good stuff out of it.

The basic and mos
Patricia
Jun 17, 2012 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book made a huge difference in my life and my understanding about my relationships and how/why I react to it the way I used to, repeatedly.
It helped me to be more aware about my behavior and attitudes as well as my partners, now husband. Certainly this book open the path for many other important reading in my life.
I would love to congratulate the author for coming up with this deep content in such affordable way.
Rosanna Fay
Jun 08, 2013 Rosanna Fay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, this book was written by the brother of one of my college friends! Part of the same pile of unread books at our house by "people we know".

It's a "self help" book - very funny and insightful. Really enjoyed it. Co-Authored endeavor, but told in the first person through only one of the author's voices -- very well done. Self help books aren't what I would generally consider 'entertainment', but this one crosses over for sure.
Catherine Wright
This book is the most amazing, entertaining and easy to read explanation of what happens as relationships evolve! I had so many AHA moments as the authors describe the buttons that get pushed moving from dating to commitment. The first step to healing and growth is awareness. This book is chock full of it!
M Elizabeth
Apr 14, 2014 M Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Humorous take on many ideas I've previously read about and already am aware of.
But it served as a good reminder of them and made some things very clear to me.
I'd recommend this to a lot of friends.
Martine
Stef
Aug 13, 2014 Stef rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great ideas for fighting fair and keeping the lines of communication open. Not so excited about the subtle suggestions to "settle," though.
Kristin Nabors
Oct 02, 2007 Kristin Nabors rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
The title intrigued me to pick up this book. It is a great mix of humor and psychology. The authors offer great tips for sustaining your relationship, even if you aren't going through problems.
Erin Caldwell
Jan 06, 2015 Erin Caldwell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pretty interesting if not earth-shattering look at how out earliest relationships shape our future behavior and how to factor those experiences into your future relationships. Worth reading.
Amanda (LB)
Jul 07, 2013 Amanda (LB) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book and great activities to get you to think about yourself and relationships.
Josh
Josh rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2014
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2010
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2014
Anna Hickerson
Anna Hickerson rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2013
Catherine
Catherine rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2012
Natasha
Natasha rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2014
Nickole Bennett
Nickole Bennett rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2013
Ronald Cox
Ronald Cox rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2014
Klaudia
Klaudia rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2015
Khadija
Khadija rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2015
Donja
Donja rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2016
The Reader
The Reader rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2010
Dani Butler
Dani Butler rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2008
Harmonie Eschete
Harmonie Eschete rated it it was ok
Jun 08, 2013
Carlos
Carlos rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2012
Anette
Anette rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2013
C
C rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2016