Start by marking “Actually, It Is Your Parents' Fault: ...that your romantic relationship isn't working. (Here's how to fix it.)” as Want to Read:

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The ultimate relationship repair from the bestselling author of Boys Will Put You on a Pedestal (So They Can Look Up Your Skirt) and a psychologist with decades of experience

Every committed relationship goes through rough patches. What’s the difference between those that move forward and those that disintegrate? Knowledge, effort and a desire to strengthen the bond. In Act
Published January 22nd 2008 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Actually, It Is Your Parents' Fault, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Actually, It Is Your Parents' Fault

Leah
Aug 01, 2007 Leah rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who want to learn more about interpersonal relationships
This book explains how the formation of your personality and the muddied waters of your unconscious substantially impact your interpersonal relationships. In addition to the explanation is the optimistic indication that with knowledge/understanding of your unconscious needs and those of your partner, you will be more aptly disposed to having healthy, successful relationships.
Sheryl Tribble
I picked this up because the title made me laugh. While the authors do hasten to say that laying blame is not useful, overall I still think they overstress "nurture, not nature." While they sometimes obliquely recognize that two people in similar situations react differently, they also argue that "Personality is Experience, Internalized." As a parent of five kids, I don't think it's that easy. One of my kids was essentially a cheerful, low-maintenance optimist from birth; another seems to be equ ...more
Jessica
I picked up the audio version of this book because I wanted to criticize it for its title, and actually, the title is misleading. Right away the authors make clear that it is not exactly your parents' faults because they turned out as they did due to their own upbringings, and it doesn't matter how you ended up as you did -- it just matters that you realize how and what you can do about it. It also makes the excellent point, over and over again, that it's also not so important what your partner ...more
Hans
A very insightful book. I have always found it interesting that for most things you need to receive training / education or some other kind of qualification for most major responsibilities in life, not so for marriage or parenting. Ironic, that the two most critical relationships are at the mercy of complete amateurs.

I could rant and rave a bit about this book and how the author isn't qualified to write a relationship book. But I won't cause I did get some good stuff out of it.

The basic and mos
Martine Bro
Humorous take on many ideas I've previously read about and already am aware of.
But it served as a good reminder of them and made some things very clear to me.
I'd recommend this to a lot of friends.
Martine
Stef
Great ideas for fighting fair and keeping the lines of communication open. Not so excited about the subtle suggestions to "settle," though.
Erin
A pretty interesting if not earth-shattering look at how out earliest relationships shape our future behavior and how to factor those experiences into your future relationships. Worth reading.
Rosanna Fay
Ok, this book was written by the brother of one of my college friends! Part of the same pile of unread books at our house by "people we know".

It's a "self help" book - very funny and insightful. Really enjoyed it. Co-Authored endeavor, but told in the first person through only one of the author's voices -- very well done. Self help books aren't what I would generally consider 'entertainment', but this one crosses over for sure.
Patricia
This book made a huge difference in my life and my understanding about my relationships and how/why I react to it the way I used to, repeatedly.
It helped me to be more aware about my behavior and attitudes as well as my partners, now husband. Certainly this book open the path for many other important reading in my life.
I would love to congratulate the author for coming up with this deep content in such affordable way.
Catherine Wright
This book is the most amazing, entertaining and easy to read explanation of what happens as relationships evolve! I had so many AHA moments as the authors describe the buttons that get pushed moving from dating to commitment. The first step to healing and growth is awareness. This book is chock full of it!
Kristin Smith
The title intrigued me to pick up this book. It is a great mix of humor and psychology. The authors offer great tips for sustaining your relationship, even if you aren't going through problems.
Amanda (LB)
Good book and great activities to get you to think about yourself and relationships.
Shirley
Shirley marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Hamid Norouzi
Hamid Norouzi marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Carole Ault
Carole Ault marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Cathrine
Cathrine marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Boys Will Put You on a Pedestal (So They Can Look Up Your Skirt): A Dad's Advice for Daughters Beer Blast: The Inside Story of the Brewing Industry's Bizarre Battles for Your Money How to Remember Jokes To wszystko wina twoich rodziców? Boys Will Put You on a Pedestal [So They Can Look Up Your Skirt]: A Dad's Advice for Daughters