You Belong in a Zoo!: Tales from a Lifetime Spent with Cobras, Crocs, and Other Creatures

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  13 reviews
From catching alligators in the reservoirs of New York and capturing giant crocodiles in Venezuela and giant frogs in West Africa to finding mummified human heads in a Bronx apartment, eels on a bus, cobras on the loose, and crocodiles that make change—a memoir of one man’s career working with exotic reptiles and other animals.

After the teenage Peter Brazaitis brought home...more
Published September 16th 2003 by Villard

To ask other readers questions about You Belong in a Zoo!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Belong in a Zoo!

Marie Knock
I found this book really interesting, however it took a few chapters to really 'get into it,' because the first few focus on the history of New York's zoos where as I was keen to get into the detail about the wildlife and his career.

The author's passion for, and knowledge about, reptiles is infectious, and I learned a lot about snakes in particular - an animal I knew little about previously.

If you're at all interested in finding out more about what goes into caring for zoo animals, then I recomm...more
Tyler Beveridge
You belong in a zoo was about Peter Brazaitis. This book goes through his life while giving facts about all the animals that he worked with. I believe that the theme is that you should follow your dreams. The Main part of the story is about Peter loving reptiles and working at the Bronx Zoo.
Peter Brazaitis organized thee text like a chapter book. I thing he did that to specifically to make the book more enjoyable. For my reading this makes it more enjoyable because otherwise the book becomes...more
David Ward
You Belong In A Zoo!: Tales From a Lifetime Spent With Cobras, Crocs, and other Creatures by Peter Brazaitis (Villard New York 2003) (Biography) is a series of recollections from a long-time reptile curator at the Bronx Zoo in New York City. The author was a self-taught naturalist with only a high school diploma until well into his zoo career; he talked his way into a job in the reptile house as a very young man. This is as much a story of the evolution of zoos and animal husbandry as it is an a...more
Nancy
An interesting book written by a man who worked his way up through the animal care field, from taxidermist to curator of the Central Park Zoo. Chock full of anecdotes about the various reptiles, birds, and polar bears (among others) he cared for. You can certainly tell that this man is devoted to the care and preservation of animals. A good book to read, especially for anyone considering a career in zoology.
Melody
This memoir was a delight. Brazaitis worked in the New York Zoo system for his entire career, and tells a ripping good story. Some of the things that happened behind the scenes of the zoo are hilarious, and some are terrifying. His reminiscences kept me engaged. Some of the most interesting parts detail how far we have come in terms of keeping animals in captivity. If you like reptiles, you'll enjoy this book.
Jana
This was a very different kind of book than I usually read. It is true stories taken from the life of Peter Brazaitis, a keeper and curator for New York zoos throughout his eventful life. Lots of stories of escaped reptiles, both in the zoo and out. Adventures out of the country acquiring new animals for the zoo. Lots of things. I guess I just prefer to read fiction...
Pam
If you like animals and non-fiction books, this is the one for you. It is full of interesting and often amusing stories of exotic animals. Despite having read it years ago, I still remember many of the author's tales of his life as a child and zoo director.
Lara
I was disappointed by this memoir of a herpetologist's career with the Bronx and Central Park zoos. Having the chapters in non-chronological order irked me, and while some of the anecdotes were entertaining, others dragged noticeably.
Stacy Nichols
This book was awesome!!! I love it... Since I went to school to be a zoo keeper i could totally relate to him. I laughed multiple times throughout the reading!
Beka
A lot of fun info from another zoo curator. This book focuses mainly on reptiles but is still a really interesting read.
Nancy O
A charming, funny book about a herpetologist who has spent a lifetime working for zoos.
Kim
Erik09
Oct 10, 2007 Erik09 rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all ages
nice, entertaining book
Loracarol
Loracarol marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Jessica Villarreal
Jessica Villarreal is currently reading it
Jul 24, 2014
Paola Alejandra
Paola Alejandra marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Katie Bernacchi
Katie Bernacchi marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
James
James marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Dominique
Dominique marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
Andria
Andria marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
Janice CA
Janice CA marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Hanna
Hanna marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
You Belong in a Zoo!: Tales from a Lifetime Spent with Cobras, Crocs, and Other Extraordinary Creature s World of Snakes You Belong in a Zoo!: Tales from a Lifetime Spent with Cobras, Crocs, and Other Extraordinary Creature s Snakes of the World The Fight for Survival: Animals in Their Natural Habitats