Start by marking “You Belong in a Zoo!: Tales from a Lifetime Spent with Cobras, Crocs, and Other Creatures” as Want to Read:

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  81 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
From catching alligators in the reservoirs of New York and capturing giant crocodiles in Venezuela and giant frogs in West Africa to finding mummified human heads in a Bronx apartment, eels on a bus, cobras on the loose, and crocodiles that make change—a memoir of one man’s career working with exotic reptiles and other animals.

After the teenage Peter Brazaitis brought home
Published September 16th 2003 by Villard

To ask other readers questions about You Belong in a Zoo!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Belong in a Zoo!

Nate Hluszko
Mar 25, 2016 Nate Hluszko rated it it was amazing
My favorite book that I read in 2015 and in the top five I've ever read in 30 years. If more people read it, there would be much more widespread love and understanding for animals not human, and for the wild and preserving it would become much more important to people... if more people could read this book. If I were a school teacher of any subject, I would have this on my classroom library shelf no matter what, to recommend and be available to all students. I plan to buy it and read it over and ...more
Marie Knock
Feb 16, 2013 Marie Knock rated it liked it
I found this book really interesting, however it took a few chapters to really 'get into it,' because the first few focus on the history of New York's zoos where as I was keen to get into the detail about the wildlife and his career.

The author's passion for, and knowledge about, reptiles is infectious, and I learned a lot about snakes in particular - an animal I knew little about previously.

If you're at all interested in finding out more about what goes into caring for zoo animals, then I recomm
Tyler Beveridge
Oct 29, 2013 Tyler Beveridge rated it it was amazing
You belong in a zoo was about Peter Brazaitis. This book goes through his life while giving facts about all the animals that he worked with. I believe that the theme is that you should follow your dreams. The Main part of the story is about Peter loving reptiles and working at the Bronx Zoo.
Peter Brazaitis organized thee text like a chapter book. I thing he did that to specifically to make the book more enjoyable. For my reading this makes it more enjoyable because otherwise the book becomes
Dustin
Nov 10, 2014 Dustin rated it really liked it
Lots of fun anecdotes about escaped venomous snakes, and pretty educational about reptiles and the day-to-day work of running a zoo.
David
Jan 25, 2016 David rated it liked it
Shelves: animals, non-fiction
You Belong In A Zoo!: Tales From a Lifetime Spent With Cobras, Crocs, and other Creatures by Peter Brazaitis (Villard New York 2003) (Biography) is a series of recollections from a long-time reptile curator at the Bronx Zoo in New York City. The author was a self-taught naturalist with only a high school diploma until well into his zoo career; he talked his way into a job in the reptile house as a very young man. This is as much a story of the evolution of zoos and animal husbandry as it is an a ...more
Nancy
Jun 22, 2013 Nancy rated it liked it
An interesting book written by a man who worked his way up through the animal care field, from taxidermist to curator of the Central Park Zoo. Chock full of anecdotes about the various reptiles, birds, and polar bears (among others) he cared for. You can certainly tell that this man is devoted to the care and preservation of animals. A good book to read, especially for anyone considering a career in zoology.
Melody
Sep 16, 2007 Melody rated it really liked it
This memoir was a delight. Brazaitis worked in the New York Zoo system for his entire career, and tells a ripping good story. Some of the things that happened behind the scenes of the zoo are hilarious, and some are terrifying. His reminiscences kept me engaged. Some of the most interesting parts detail how far we have come in terms of keeping animals in captivity. If you like reptiles, you'll enjoy this book.
Jana
Oct 10, 2007 Jana rated it liked it
This was a very different kind of book than I usually read. It is true stories taken from the life of Peter Brazaitis, a keeper and curator for New York zoos throughout his eventful life. Lots of stories of escaped reptiles, both in the zoo and out. Adventures out of the country acquiring new animals for the zoo. Lots of things. I guess I just prefer to read fiction...
Pam
Jul 13, 2011 Pam rated it it was amazing
If you like animals and non-fiction books, this is the one for you. It is full of interesting and often amusing stories of exotic animals. Despite having read it years ago, I still remember many of the author's tales of his life as a child and zoo director.
Lara
Aug 04, 2008 Lara rated it it was ok
I was disappointed by this memoir of a herpetologist's career with the Bronx and Central Park zoos. Having the chapters in non-chronological order irked me, and while some of the anecdotes were entertaining, others dragged noticeably.
Stacy Nichols
Jan 15, 2009 Stacy Nichols rated it it was amazing
This book was awesome!!! I love it... Since I went to school to be a zoo keeper i could totally relate to him. I laughed multiple times throughout the reading!
Beka
Dec 16, 2015 Beka rated it it was amazing
A lot of fun info from another zoo curator. This book focuses mainly on reptiles but is still a really interesting read.
Nancy O
Apr 28, 2009 Nancy O rated it it was amazing
A charming, funny book about a herpetologist who has spent a lifetime working for zoos.
Kim
Jun 14, 2008 Kim rated it liked it
Erik09
Oct 10, 2007 Erik09 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all ages
nice, entertaining book
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2016
Vincent Jutton
Vincent Jutton rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2016
Alan Mizell
Alan Mizell rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Taryn Clarke
Taryn Clarke marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Marionna Cane
Marionna Cane is currently reading it
Feb 26, 2016
Kristina Meschi
Kristina Meschi rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2016
K9stylist
K9stylist marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Alyse DeVries
Alyse DeVries rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2015
Gloria
Gloria marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Roberta
Roberta rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Tana
Tana marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Agata
Agata rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2015