Start by marking “Le château des Carpathes ” as Want to Read:
Le château des Carpathes

Le château des Carpathes (Extraordinary Voyages #37)

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,953 Ratings  ·  106 Reviews
Le château des Carpates... Garde-toi d'y monter, étranger ! Nul ne s'en approche impunément. Les plus téméraires ne prononcent son nom qu'en tremblant. Les habitants de Werst le savent bien. Depuis le départ du dernier baron de Gortz, toutes les créatures du diable, balauri, zmei, stryges et autres vampires, s'y sont réunies Elles y font même du feu... Oui, du feu ! Frik, ...more
Mass Market Paperback, Texte intégral, 157 pages
Published March 24th 2004 by J'ai Lu (Librio) (first published 1889)

To ask other readers questions about Le château des Carpathes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Le château des Carpathes

Pramod Nair
In ‘The Castle of the Carpathians’, originally titled Le Château des Carpathes written in 1893, Jules Verne deviates sharply from the usual parameters of science fiction fantasy associated with his other tales of Extraordinary Voyages to create a romantic fairy tale shrouded in the mists of supernatural. Set in the mountainous regions of rural Transylvania, ‘The Castle of the Carpathians’ is a tale of mystery, with romantic counts, noble braves, love and longing bordering the realms of madness a ...more
Jackson Burnett
Thursday they knew to be a day of evil deeds.

In his introduction, scholar Ace Pilkington points out Jules Verne wrote more about his travels and his discoveries along the way than he did about science. Verne chose the setting for this Gothic novel intentionally and for particular reasons.

The villagers of Werst, Transylvania, notice odd things happening one day at the dilapidated castle that sits atop the mountain adjoining the town. This novel tells the story of the attempts to learn (or fear)
Stacia
Nov 07, 2014 Stacia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who want a non-supernatural supernatural tale...
Among bibliophiles, I think there are fans of the orderly, rational, logical world & there are more loosey-goosey types who are fans of the unexplained or hard to believe. I got a real taste of that last year with Verne's An Antarctic Mystery (orderly, rational, logical) vs. Poe's The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket (loosey-goosey at best, lol).

So, in The Castle in Transylvania, we are heading into 'supernatural' territory with Jules Verne. Except, being the orderly, rational, lo
Shawn
description
When reviewing a classic it is important to judge it in the context of the time that it was written. If we’re going to judge a classic, we need to be able to step away from our preconceptions of what good literature is and evaluate each work on its own merits. It isn’t fair to judge a work of art by contemporary expectations. We should consider the society and the times in which a particular work was written. What did the author set out to accomplish? What is the effect of the novel on the read
MB Taylor
Just finished reading The Castle in Transylvania (1892) by Jules Verne. Apparently designed to capitalize on the current vampire and zombie craze, this brand new translation of Verne’s Le Château des Carpathes, is touted on the front as “The original zombie story” and the back cover proclaims: “Before there was Dracula, there was The Castle in Transylvania. … this is the first book to set a gothic horror story, featuring people who may or may not be dead, in Transylvania.

Oooookay.

The blurb on th
Anyelis
Feb 15, 2016 Anyelis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
¡Estoy tan feliz! Julio Verne se vuelve a catapultar como uno de mis autores predilectos, aunque al inicio tuvo un trama lenta, logró cautivar cada célula de mi ser y enamorarme de la manera tan perfecta que tuvo este hombre de escribir. ¡Ohh que manera tan poética de narrar cada capítulo! ¡que giros tan geniales y pensados tiene la historia!
John
Sep 28, 2007 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Victorian sf fans, Victorian horror fans
This book is an interesting mix of themes related to both Dracula and Phantom of the Opera, with a bit of early sf thrown in. On the border of Transylvania (where else?) a shepherd sees smoke rising from the long-deserted castle of Baron Rodolphe (sic). He and the local doctor (a cowardly skeptic) investigate and are driven off by apparently supernatural forces. A curious traveler, Baron Franz von Telek, also investigates and sees what appears to be a beautiful opera singer he had almost married ...more
Vnnarhika
Apr 15, 2016 Vnnarhika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
O carte frumoasă, de citit la munte.

Transilvania văzută prin ochii lui Jules Verne - "un fel de Elveție" cum o numește inițial - este un spațiu de o frumusețe aparte, locul unde legendele folclorice, bine înrădăcinate în mentalul localnicilor, constituie cel mai de preț tezaur al regiunii.

"Decorul Carpaților se pretează în mod firesc la toate evocările ce țin de plăsmuiri."

Descrie cu atât de multă acuratețe și autenticitate ținuturile Transilvaniei încât pierzi din vedere faptul că el nu aparț
Sam
Now I'm a bit of a fan of Jules Verne so be warned this review may be slightly biased as a result (although I promise to try and temper it as best I can). This is part of his Extraordinary Voyages series (which by the way I didn't even realise was a thing until picking this book up) which includes his best known works as well as lesser known writing such as this one. And I much prefered this. It has all the hallmarks of a classic Victorian Gothic tale mixing mystery and horror with deep human em ...more
Apr 01, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all Jules Verne's fans
Recommended to Laura by: msleighm
The original French text is available at eBooks@Adelaide.

The English version which was kindly found by Wanda can be found at OpenLibrary

The Carpathian Castle (French: Le Château des Carpathes) is a novel by Jules Verne first published in 1893. It is possible that Bram Stoker took inspiration from this for his 1897 novel Dracula.

Opening lines:
Cette histoire n’est pas fantastique, elle n’est que romanesque. Faut-il en conclure qu’elle ne soit pas vraie, étant donné son invraisemblance? Ce serait u
All Mota
Es la primer obra de Verne que he leído y debo decir que no decepciona, aunque el ritmo es muy pausado, la historia es interesante, de la forma en que lo veo esta es la manera que tiene Verne de burlarse de lo supersticiosos que eran algunos pueblos y demostrar lo difícil que era la movilización y expansión del avance en ese entonces, en toda la obra se ve recalcado el peligro de la ignorancia, mostrando un pueblo montañoso y apartado que poco -o nada- saben sobre la era en la que viven.

La cre
Angel's books
May 23, 2016 Angel's books rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: klasik
Güzel bir kurgusu ve anlatımı var. Olay bir dürbünle başlayıp nerelere nerelere gidiyor. Yazar, avukat olmaktan vazgeçip yazmaya başlamakla ne iyi etmiş. Jules Verne okumak isteyenlere başlangıç olarak önerebileceğim bir kitap çıktı ortaya.
Andrewcharles420
May 19, 2015 Andrewcharles420 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf12
In a small Romanian town in the late 19th century, the castle of a long-absent, last-of-his-line Baron is seen with smoke coming out of its chimney. The largely uneducated and superstitious townsfolk have no reason to think it's not abandoned, and every reason to think it's haunted (because they're backwards countryfolk). When they send two of their braver members to scope out the castle, they return spooked and partially paralyzed. Two travelers then come to town and laugh at the townsfolk unti ...more
Vincent
Jan 07, 2015 Vincent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shortly after reading this book, I attended a writer's workshop where someone tried to tell a mixture of a detective and love story set in the 1700s South America, trying to capture scenic detail of the time while also telling the story.

I recommended them to read this book, and it should become clear soon after one begins. The first half of the book is its own story, crafting a clear picture of this village near the Carpathian Mountains, their dress, their culture, and their scenic surroundings.
Sandy
Oct 17, 2014 Sandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

When 35-year-old Jules Verne managed to sell what would become his first published novel, "Five Weeks in a Balloon," to the already long-established literary publisher Pierre-Jules Hetzel, in 1863, little could the two Frenchmen know that this was just the beginning of a decades-long association. Hetzel was already a well-known Parisian figure, having previously released works by such luminaries as Victor Hugo, Emile Zola and Honore de Balzac. Verne, the future "Father of Science Fiction," was a
Pauline
C'est la première fois que je me lance dans du Jules Verne, et c'est à peu près comme je me l'étais imaginé. Le récit est vivant, avec des rebondissement, du suspens bien maîtrisé (je l'ai attendu l'explication de la présence de la Stilla !), et beaucoup de descriptions, trop à mon goût même. La montée au château du forestier, et la recherche du donjon par Franz m'ont semblé bien longues, même si Verne place de temps en temps un peu d'action, pour couper sa description.

L'histoire est intéressant
Duane
Jun 02, 2012 Duane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of Verne's shorter novels, and one that may appeal mostly to Verne fans rather than casual readers or to those who know Verne only through Around the World in 80 Days or one of his other famous novels. But Castle in Transylvania displays elements from the gothic and the romantic, plus some geographical information that was mandatory for Verne's contract with publisher Hertzel for the Voyages Extraordinaires series. It also incorporates some scientific information, which may seem oddly justap ...more
C.C. Thomas
Sep 05, 2011 C.C. Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Jules Verne was such a visionary. At times, it's a little creepy. While most certainly known as the Father of Science Fiction, so much of what he wrote about would later become just another fact of our crazy world--submarines, travel by balloon, travel to the moon, etc. And here is just one more example: Verne started the vampire craze?!?

Before there was even a Dracula on the market (published in 1897), Verne had published The Castle of the Carpathians in 1893 (Carpathians don't sound nearly so
Arthur
Oct 11, 2008 Arthur rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jules Verne first starts for us to picture an unknown cessation of grazing areas of forest and castles. A count of cruelty lives in the Haunted Castle. He goes to the theater and that is probably where his life is all attention. He speaks primarily with his henchmen a craftsman who makes his work calls. The cruel count retaliates against his male competitors, and then with underground exit from the mess he created. He takes with him a photo box with the famous singer, either, she was infatuated ...more
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
review of
Jules Verne's Carpathian Castle
by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE - March 18, 2013

This is the 3rd Verne bk I've read in a row now. It actually increased my admiration for him b/c it's so different from anything else that I've read. This is his "Gothic" novel & it does fit the bill. 40 yrs or so ago I went thru a phase of exploring Gothic novels - esp when I learned that the Surrealists liked them. I'd already read Bram Stoker's Dracula when I was around 12. Of course I read Mary Shell
Elisa
How did I never hear of this book until recently?? It deserves a place right up on my Gothic Bookshelf with Dracula, Frankenstein, Wuthering Heights, Phantom of the Opera, Picture of Dorian Grey, etc.
I cannot bring myself to accept that Gaston Leroux wasn't directly inspired by this book when he wrote Phantom. The similarities are far too much for coincidence.
It's not the best-structured book in the world (you don't even meet the protagonist until halfway through the thing), and the beginning c
Yusuf
Sep 05, 2015 Yusuf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Çok eğlenceliydi, Jules Verne'nin bugünün teknolojisini görmesi de muazzam.

Tavsiye ederim.
Frederick
I single out Charlotte Mandell, the translator of the edition I read (ISBN13: 9781935554080, published by Melville House in 2010 and called THE CASTLE IN TRANSYLVANIA) for capturing the tone of popular fiction circa 1900. While I don't know French and haven't read any other English-language versions of this novel, I can't imagine a more perfect approximation of Verne's original.
This book ought to be read with a real sense of the limitations Verne was working under. This is extremely late in his
Ernesto Pérez-castro
Una buena aventura. Distinto a lo que había leído antes de Julio Verne, pues [aparentemente] se aleja de las cuestiones científicas para apostar por lo sobrenatural. Semejante a lo mejor de Verne en tanto atrapa y, sobre todo en la segunda mitad, hace difícil soltar el libro antes del final. (Me pregunto cómo aguantaban la curiosidad sus primeros lectores en 1892 al tener que esperar los nuevos episodios a lo largo de varios meses.)

Lo leí en una cuidada edición (salvo por una errata por ahí) pub
Czarny Pies
Sep 21, 2015 Czarny Pies rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Personne. Il y a au moins une vingtaine de titres de Jules Verne qui sont meilleurs
Shelves: french-lit, etron
Faute de pouvoir lui donner cinq étrons je donne une étoile.

Dans ce livre complete raté, Verne essaie d'écrire une conte fantastique. Le Chateau des Carpathes commence comme une conte de Hoffman ou de Kleist et finit en queue de poisson.

Le genie de Verne est d'écrire les romans de voyages ou le protagonist passe rapidement d'un endroit à l'autre. À chaque arret, un phenomene d'interet scientique se produit que l'auteur explique à ses jeunes lecteurs.

Dans le Chateau des Carpathes, il n'y a pas d
msleighm
Mar 22, 2014 msleighm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, fiction, gothic
If you like Victorian era gothic and Jules Verne, you'll like this. I loved it - couldn't put it down and ended it with a smile on my face.

If you go in looking for a Dracula story, you will be disappointed. This story must be appreciated on its own merits.
Claudia
Feb 13, 2015 Claudia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
Nice story with pretty accurate info about habits and places... and here it is an article (in romanian language) about the possible circumstance which might have led to this story: http://www.turismtur.ro/castelcarpati...
Samantha Pajor
It's a slow moving book for the most part, but the writing is good enough that I never gave up on it, despite it not really being the kind of book I was imagining from the description. Basically, don't go into this thinking it's a zombie story. It's not. It was hard not to judge the ending by modern standards, but I felt that even for the time, when the technology utilized was still very new, I wasn't impressed by its application. It seemed obvious to me what the trick was, and I'm not sure that ...more
Merci
Jan 04, 2015 Merci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clasicos, terror, gotico, 2015
Puedo decir que mantiene bastante el suspenso acerca del misterio central del libro: un pastor divisa a lo lejos que de un castillo, que se rumorea está embrujado,sale humo. Y desde ése momento hay una serie de conjeturas a lo largo de la lectura.
Se desarrolla de trama en Transilvania, tierra en la que lo habitantes tienen muchas creencias en lo sobrenatural.
Una está mas acostumbrada a leer a Verne en otros titulos que son más de aventura, pero tambien hay en éste libro personajes aventureros...
Casey Harvey
Jules Verne’s The Castle in Transylvania describes a mysterious castle in the Carpathians and the villagers that live in both fear and awe of it and its tenants. For years, the castle is dormant and empty, while the last Baron Gortz travels across Europe, until a shepard spies smoke coming from one of the turrets. Panic ensues amongst the villagers, highly susceptible to superstitions, until a visiting count enters the scene and takes on the task of investigating the castle.

Overall, I was disap
  • Gautier Récits Fantastiques
  • Τον καιρό του Βουλγαροκτόνου
  • Λόγια της πλώρης
  • La Comtesse de Cagliostro (Arsène Lupin, #12)
  • Οδός Αβύσσου αριθμός Μηδέν
  • Les jeux de l'amour et de la mort
  • The woman with the velvet necklace
  • Τα στενά παπούτσια
  • Wylder's Hand
  • Lucien Leuwen
  • Stalky & Co.
  • Dictionary of Accepted Ideas
  • 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (Illustrated Classics)
  • J'accuse!
  • La Fanfarlo
  • Romans de la Table Ronde: Erec et Enide, Cligès, Lancelot, Yvain
Jules Gabriel Verne was a French author who pioneered the genre of science-fiction. He is best known for his novels "Journey to the Center of the Earth" (1864), "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" (1870), and "Around the World in Eighty Days" (1873).

Verne wrote about space, air, and underwater travel before navigable aircraft and practical submarines were invented, and before any means of spa
More about Jules Verne...

Extraordinary Voyages (1 - 10 of 69 books)
  • Five Weeks in a Balloon (Extraordinary Voyages, #1)
  • The Adventures of Captain Hatteras (Extraordinary Voyages, #2)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth (Extraordinary Voyages, #3)
  • From the Earth to the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #4)
  • In Search of the Castaways; or the Children of Captain Grant
  • Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Extraordinary Voyages, #6)
  • Round the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #7)
  • A Floating City (Extraordinary Voyages #8)
  • The Blockade Runners (Extraordinary Voyages #8*)
  • Measuring a Meridian: The Adventures of Three Englishmen and Three Russians in South Africa (Extraordinary Voyages, #9)

“Civilization is like air or water. Wherever there is a passage, be it only a fissure, it will penetrate and modify the conditions of a country.” 2 likes
“Personne n'eût pensé à rester chez soi, et surtout personne ne songeait à remettre le pied au Roi Mathias, où des voix comminatoires se faisaient entendre. Que des murs aient des oreilles, passe encore, puisque c'est une locution qui a court dans le langage usuel... mais une bouche!...” 2 likes