Start by marking “Le château des Carpathes ” as Want to Read:
Le château des Carpathes

Le château des Carpathes (Călătorii Extraordinare #37)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  1,432 ratings  ·  67 reviews
Le château des Carpates... Garde-toi d'y monter, étranger ! Nul ne s'en approche impunément. Les plus téméraires ne prononcent son nom qu'en tremblant. Les habitants de Werst le savent bien. Depuis le départ du dernier baron de Gortz, toutes les créatures du diable, balauri, zmei, stryges et autres vampires, s'y sont réunies Elles y font même du feu... Oui, du feu ! Frik, ...more
Mass Market Paperback, Texte intégral, 157 pages
Published March 24th 2004 by J'ai Lu (Librio) (first published 1889)

To ask other readers questions about Le château des Carpathes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Le château des Carpathes

Stacia
Nov 07, 2014 Stacia rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who want a non-supernatural supernatural tale...
Among bibliophiles, I think there are fans of the orderly, rational, logical world & there are more loosey-goosey types who are fans of the unexplained or hard to believe. I got a real taste of that last year with Verne's An Antarctic Mystery (orderly, rational, logical) vs. Poe's The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket (loosey-goosey at best, lol).

So, in The Castle in Transylvania, we are heading into 'supernatural' territory with Jules Verne. Except, being the orderly, rational, lo
Shawn
description
When reviewing a classic it is important to judge it in the context of the time that it was written. If we’re going to judge a classic, we need to be able to step away from our preconceptions of what good literature is and evaluate each work on its own merits. It isn’t fair to judge a work of art by contemporary expectations. We should consider the society and the times in which a particular work was written. What did the author set out to accomplish? What is the effect of the novel on the read
John
Sep 28, 2007 John rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Victorian sf fans, Victorian horror fans
This book is an interesting mix of themes related to both Dracula and Phantom of the Opera, with a bit of early sf thrown in. On the border of Transylvania (where else?) a shepherd sees smoke rising from the long-deserted castle of Baron Rodolphe (sic). He and the local doctor (a cowardly skeptic) investigate and are driven off by apparently supernatural forces. A curious traveler, Baron Franz von Telek, also investigates and sees what appears to be a beautiful opera singer he had almost married ...more
Apr 01, 2014 Laura rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all Jules Verne's fans
Recommended to Laura by: msleighm
The original French text is available at eBooks@Adelaide.

The English version which was kindly found by Wanda can be found at OpenLibrary

The Carpathian Castle (French: Le Château des Carpathes) is a novel by Jules Verne first published in 1893. It is possible that Bram Stoker took inspiration from this for his 1897 novel Dracula.

Opening lines:
Cette histoire n’est pas fantastique, elle n’est que romanesque. Faut-il en conclure qu’elle ne soit pas vraie, étant donné son invraisemblance? Ce serait u
Sandy

When 35-year-old Jules Verne managed to sell what would become his first published novel, "Five Weeks in a Balloon," to the already long-established literary publisher Pierre-Jules Hetzel, in 1863, little could the two Frenchmen know that this was just the beginning of a decades-long association. Hetzel was already a well-known Parisian figure, having previously released works by such luminaries as Victor Hugo, Emile Zola and Honore de Balzac. Verne, the future "Father of Science Fiction," was a
Duane
One of Verne's shorter novels, and one that may appeal mostly to Verne fans rather than casual readers or to those who know Verne only through Around the World in 80 Days or one of his other famous novels. But Castle in Transylvania displays elements from the gothic and the romantic, plus some geographical information that was mandatory for Verne's contract with publisher Hertzel for the Voyages Extraordinaires series. It also incorporates some scientific information, which may seem oddly justap ...more
C.C. Thomas
Jules Verne was such a visionary. At times, it's a little creepy. While most certainly known as the Father of Science Fiction, so much of what he wrote about would later become just another fact of our crazy world--submarines, travel by balloon, travel to the moon, etc. And here is just one more example: Verne started the vampire craze?!?

Before there was even a Dracula on the market (published in 1897), Verne had published The Castle of the Carpathians in 1893 (Carpathians don't sound nearly so
Arthur
Jules Verne first starts for us to picture an unknown cessation of grazing areas of forest and castles. A count of cruelty lives in the Haunted Castle. He goes to the theater and that is probably where his life is all attention. He speaks primarily with his henchmen a craftsman who makes his work calls. The cruel count retaliates against his male competitors, and then with underground exit from the mess he created. He takes with him a photo box with the famous singer, either, she was infatuated ...more
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
review of
Jules Verne's Carpathian Castle
by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE - March 18, 2013

This is the 3rd Verne bk I've read in a row now. It actually increased my admiration for him b/c it's so different from anything else that I've read. This is his "Gothic" novel & it does fit the bill. 40 yrs or so ago I went thru a phase of exploring Gothic novels - esp when I learned that the Surrealists liked them. I'd already read Bram Stoker's Dracula when I was around 12. Of course I read Mary Shell
Elisa
How did I never hear of this book until recently?? It deserves a place right up on my Gothic Bookshelf with Dracula, Frankenstein, Wuthering Heights, Phantom of the Opera, Picture of Dorian Grey, etc.
I cannot bring myself to accept that Gaston Leroux wasn't directly inspired by this book when he wrote Phantom. The similarities are far too much for coincidence.
It's not the best-structured book in the world (you don't even meet the protagonist until halfway through the thing), and the beginning c
Pauline
C'est la première fois que je me lance dans du Jules Verne, et c'est à peu près comme je me l'étais imaginé. Le récit est vivant, avec des rebondissement, du suspens bien maîtrisé (je l'ai attendu l'explication de la présence de la Stilla !), et beaucoup de descriptions, trop à mon goût même. La montée au château du forestier, et la recherche du donjon par Franz m'ont semblé bien longues, même si Verne place de temps en temps un peu d'action, pour couper sa description.

L'histoire est intéressant
msleighm
If you like Victorian era gothic and Jules Verne, you'll like this. I loved it - couldn't put it down and ended it with a smile on my face.

If you go in looking for a Dracula story, you will be disappointed. This story must be appreciated on its own merits.
Casey Harvey
Jules Verne’s The Castle in Transylvania describes a mysterious castle in the Carpathians and the villagers that live in both fear and awe of it and its tenants. For years, the castle is dormant and empty, while the last Baron Gortz travels across Europe, until a shepard spies smoke coming from one of the turrets. Panic ensues amongst the villagers, highly susceptible to superstitions, until a visiting count enters the scene and takes on the task of investigating the castle.

Overall, I was disap
MB Taylor
Just finished reading The Castle in Transylvania (1892) by Jules Verne. Apparently designed to capitalize on the current vampire and zombie craze, this brand new translation of Verne’s Le Château des Carpathes, is touted on the front as “The original zombie story” and the back cover proclaims: “Before there was Dracula, there was The Castle in Transylvania. … this is the first book to set a gothic horror story, featuring people who may or may not be dead, in Transylvania.

Oooookay.

The blurb on th
Amy Sturgis
I found the new 2010 edition of Jules Verne's The Castle in Transylvania (originally published as The Castle in the Carpathians in 1893) to be exactly what I was looking for when I sought out ideal Halloween reading. I'll let the cover speak for itself: "In its first new translation in over 100 years, this is the first book to set a gothic horror story, featuring people who may or may not be dead, in Transylvania."

As you'd expect from Verne, the descriptions are lush and detailed and well resear
Andi
I was recommended this book by a friend who was doing a dissertation that compared Dracula to The Castle in Transylvania. He also had reason to believe that this book was the inspiration for Gaston Leroux publishing 22 years later, The Phantom of the Opera. Seeing that I have read both books, I can honestly attest that this book has many similarities to the famous book and that my friend was not far off.

I do admit that the book is somewhat boring at the beginning, but fear not. Once you get past
Lee
This might not be Verne at his very best, but it's still a fun little book. A few months ago I read John Wyndham's Plan for Chaos, his last 'pulp' book before he found his style writing first person science fiction from the point of view of dry English chaps. In Plan for Chaos he tells the story from the perspective of a Dutch-American and it reads like a slightly dodgy B-movie noir for the first few pages until the later Wyndham style starts to shine through. A similar affliction strikes this b ...more
Scott
This book is a mixed bag for me. It's the first Verne I've ever read, and it's one that time has not treated very well.

There are some excellent things about the book, and I did enjoy reading it. If you don't know the story, then there is some solid suspense, which is laid out skillfully by Verne. There is a rather "Poe" feel to some of the descriptions and situations that is very effective.

The story itself is a strong one, too. It hooks you in with a mysterious castle in the Transylvanian countr
Siegfried
Alors voila, s'en est fini du "Château des Carpathes", et je dois avouer que mon avis reste assez mitigé. En effet, ne sachant pas trop à quoi m'attendre, je me suis lancé en gardant quelque part dans ma tête le fantôme de Dracula ( comment ne pas y penser alors qu'il est question de la Transylvanie, de créatures et d'expédition? ), ce qui, au final, n'a pas joué en faveur de ce roman.
Je ne vais pas faire un résumé de cet ouvrage, mais je vais énoncer quelques-unes de mes impressions.
Jules Ver
Rex Libris
Interestingly enough this is story set in Transylvania/Romania that is not a vampire story. The eponymous castle is believed to be haunted by the townfolk, but in fact is inhabited by the insane former Count who grew up there, who pines away over a love he could never have. Meanwhile the man who won the love of the woman in question comes to the castle for revenge of her death. A nasty battle ensues and the castle blows up.

On an an editorial note, this small volume contains probably the most pic
Sjonni
Les habitants d'un minuscule village de Transylvanie sont terrifiés par des manifestations surnaturelles émanant d'un château-fort abandonné perché sur une épingle rocheuse des Carpathes.

Chez Jules Verne, il y avait non seulement une imagination fantastique si empreinte de l'optimisme du dix-neuvième mais aussi une langue précise et riche déployée courageusement sous la narration pour donner solidement appui au futur même.
Sverre
A beautiful and famous opera soprano, her fanatical Baron admirer, her lovestruck Count fiancé, a mad scientist inventor and a collection of simple village folk in Transylvania are all brought together by Jules Verne to spin a tale of the haunted Carpathian castle. The inclusion of unexpected episodes of the macabre in this work is credibly presented. Yes, there are important elements of science fiction in the story but those are only revealed at the end. Before then the reader becomes practical ...more
Jean-Pierre Vidrine
The book starts out with a rather larky feel. We get to know the colorful characters of a small village, and we get to know their superstitions. Then Verne shifts gears, and we follow a desperate young man on a hopeless quest.
If I had to seriously critique this volume for anything, it would be an overzealous publisher/editor for putting misleading blurbs on the cover. "Before there was Dracula . . ." Other than the presence of a castle in Transylvania, there really is nothing here to indicate t
Claudia
Nice story with pretty accurate info about habits and places... and here it is an article (in romanian language) about the possible circumstance which might have led to this story: http://www.turismtur.ro/castelcarpati...
Gothicromantic
The castle in the Carpathians, feared by the peasants, 19th century setting... I found all these Hammer Classic elements interesting and writing style easy to read, descriptive but not convoluted.
Diabolika
Veramente bella la descrizione del paesino nei Carpazi che vive ai piedi del Castello e del Castello stesso. La trama, ma soprattutto la "soluzione" del mistero del Castello, invece, non mi ha convinta più di tanto.
Patrick
This is an entertaining yarn from Verne, but there's not much to it. The characters are one dimensional, the nominal hero doesn't show up until halfway through the book, and it's pretty clear that Verne wasn't invested in the story or the characters.
Christine Vazquez
Could not put this one down. Thought it would be a scary story, but all is explained in the end. Another good story by Jules Verne!
Daniel Steigler
I found this book last year on my shelf. I have no idea, where came it from, and I have never heard of it. That time I didn't really like reading books, but this book was the beginning of my new hobby.
Some years ago I read from the author several books, such as ' Around the World in Eighty Days ' and 'Captain Nemo'. Yeah, the classic JV book. But The castle in the carpathians was very unknow for me.
To cut my long story short, I read it, and it was very enjoyable. Nothing more, but good. I recomm
Manjupriya VP
very nice book to read all the times
  • The Crime of Sylvestre Bonnard
  • The Dictionary of Accepted Ideas
  • The Life of Henry Brulard
  • The woman with the velvet necklace
  • The Marriage Contract
  • Afterward
  • Sandokan: The Two Tigers
  • Manuscript Found in a Bottle
  • Cadavre exquis
Jules Gabriel Verne was a French author who pioneered the genre of science-fiction. He is best known for his novels "Journey to the Center of the Earth" (1864), "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" (1870), and "Around the World in Eighty Days" (1873).

Verne wrote about space, air, and underwater travel before navigable aircraft and practical submarines were invented, and before any means of spa
More about Jules Verne...
Around the World in Eighty Days Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Extraordinary Voyages, #6) Journey to the Center of the Earth (Extraordinary Voyages, #3) The Mysterious Island  From the Earth to the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #4)

“Civilization is like air or water. Wherever there is a passage, be it only a fissure, it will penetrate and modify the conditions of a country.” 1 likes
“Personne n'eût pensé à rester chez soi, et surtout personne ne songeait à remettre le pied au Roi Mathias, où des voix comminatoires se faisaient entendre. Que des murs aient des oreilles, passe encore, puisque c'est une locution qui a court dans le langage usuel... mais une bouche!...” 1 likes