Start by marking “Le Tour du monde en 80 jours” as Want to Read:
Le Tour du monde en 80 jours
Read Book* *Different edition

Le Tour du monde en 80 jours (Extraordinary Voyages #11)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  108,386 ratings  ·  2,833 reviews
Jules Verne aimait le grand spectacle, ses effets de scène et ses coups de théâtre. Et certains de ses livres, Le Tour du monde en 80 jours notamment, sont conçus comme des machines théâtrales. Tout y est calibré, ajusté pour tenir le lecteur en haleine, l'étonner, le distraire ou le prendre à contre-pied. On est en pleine esthétique romantique, celle de Dumas en particuli ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 331 pages
Published January 11th 2000 by Le Livre de Poche (first published 1873)

To ask other readers questions about Le Tour du monde en 80 jours, please sign up.

Marinos 1873. You could also google it or, you know, read the description.

Charity
Nov 10, 2008 Charity rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love grand adventures
Shelves: 1001books, france, faves
I finished Around the World in 80 Days today and it was even better than I remembered from my childhood. Admittedly, the version I had read as a child was the Great Illustrated Classics edition that was, unfortunately, abridged. I felt that a reading of the unabridged classic was long overdue. Shockingly enough, I still remembered the ending 20 years later.

Just the task Phileas Fogg faces in traveling the world in 80 days (in the 19th century) and the obstacles that pop up to delay his travels w
David
Whether or not you've read the novel or watched the movie, Jules Verne's Around the World in 80 Days is so embedded in Western culture that just about everyone knows the basic plot premise: wealthy and reticent Englishman Phileas Fogg makes gentlemanly bet with his chums that he can travel around the world in 80 days and then sets off with his temperamental French servant to do just that.

The idea for the story came from the actual journey of eccentric Bostonian George Francis Train. (Who liked
Mark
Really neat story. It was a fun view into life about a century ago.

My only nit with it was with the particular audio book I heard: an annoying afterward that publisher felt he had to append. In it, he explained to us how Mr. Verne's views of other cultures are simply not acceptable to modern people such as ourselves, and although he has transgressed and used stereotypes of different cultures the book still has some value.

I found it unfair and unnecessary. Verne's depiction of different cultures
Jason Koivu
Ah ha! So that's the reason for it being specifically 80 days! (view spoiler)
Asmaa
أعجبتنى كثيرا شخصية مستر فوج وكذلك خادمه باسبارتو ودفاعه عن سيده فى جميع المواقف .....وما أعجبنى اكثر هو نهاية الرحلة فهو فى خلال رحلته حول العالم لم يكسب أى شىء ماعدا زوجة جميلة محبة جعلت منه أسعد رجل بين الرجال ....ألا يستحق ذلك منه رحلة حول العالم ....؟؟
Kathryn
NOTE: I "read" the audiobook version of this, narrated by the fabulous Jim Dale. I think this definitely added interest to the story, which did begin a bit dull, but ended splendidly! Dale is REMARKABLE at the characterization and voices and I think this tale is especially well suited to being read aloud by someone who can do all the accents! ;-> This version also sometimes plays music in the background, suited to the setting/culture and that was a nice touch and helped set the right tone.

4.5
Lyn
Around the World in Eighty Days was first published by Jules Verne in 1873, and was introduced to an adoring public as monthly installments.

Each chapter is thus seen as connected but with its own hooks and cliffhangers. The character of Phileas Fogg has become a stoic archetype for too cool operators in books to come in several genres.

This is fast moving and fun, still a good read over a hundred years later. One very interesting aspect of the narrative was the portrait of the American west in
Ernest Junius
Dec 28, 2009 Ernest Junius rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adventurous gentlemen
Recommended to Ernest by: girlfriend
Definitely classic! My girlfriend bought me this book about two years ago, considering my fondness of adventure story. I wasn't really have a chance to read it at that time, thus I had just recently read it a few days ago–and to my surprise I did "round the world" in merely less than three days.

The story sets itself in the middle of 19th century, in the very capital of England, London, where Phileas Fogg and his loyal French servant Passepartout set off on a race to round the world in eighty day
Meli
Una aventura con todas las de ley.
Me pasé toda la lectura del libro soñando despierta, calculando cuánto llevaría hacer ese recorrido en la actualidad, con los transportes modernos y cuántos días de margen daría eso para que, visitando brevemente cada lugar (tampoco si das la vuelta al mundo da ir de tren en tren y de barco en barco, como en el libro)el viaje no se pase de los 80 días.

Mientras soñar sea gratis y el futuro incierto, capaz algún día quién dice. Como encantarme, ¡me encantaría!
Jamie
This was fun to read out loud. The phrasing was strange sometimes, possibly due to this being a translated work, but I thought it only contributed to the book's charm. My older son particularly enjoyed Passepartout's character. We discussed suttee, opium dens, Mormons, and extradition laws, among other things.

I confess to being a little disappointed that Fogg's success was mostly due to his wealth. He essentially bribes his way around the world; a poor man couldn't have made it.
Jess
Sep 13, 2009 Jess rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: armchair travelers, people who miss the days the sun didn't set on the british empire, Verne fans
Recommended to Jess by: Falls into the ought-to read catalogy
Shelves: z_09, classic
While playing cards, a rich Englishman takes a bet, insisting it is possible to circle the globe in 80 days. And away he goes...

This is one of those books where I like the idea behind it more than the actual text. A race around the world with a deadline of 80 days? That sounds like fun.

As a British armchair traveler in 1872, I would have adored this. As Jess in 2009, it drags a bit. I simply don't care for long multi-paragraph descriptions of places. Frankly, I was a bit surprised to see all th
lanalang
Letto la prima volta da ragazzina, la bellezza di trentacinque anni fa. E anche oggi come allora, mi è sembrato di viaggiare insieme ai protagonisti, mi sono divertita da matti e mi sono ritrovata a seguirne tutto il percorso sulle cartine geografiche dell'atlante.
E pur conoscendone il finale, oggi, come allora, mi sono ritrovata a leggere le ultime pagine con vera trepidazione.

La quinta stellina ha di certo un valore tutto sentimentale che proprio non posso non considerare :))
Ademilson Moraes
Traveling around the world has become a quite common theme nowadays. Everyone dreams about visiting other places, going into an exchange program trip, absorbing another place's culture; human access to world's most different places is possible and, sometimes, even encouraged. Even though we no longer need 80 days to go around the globe, Jules Verne managed to make a lasting story that is still highly enjoyable.

Around the World in Eighty Days is one of the most entertaining books I read last year
Anastasia
Sono stanca di essere gabbata così.

Com'è 'sta storia che la classicissima immagine di Fogg e Passepartout sulla mongolfiera in realtà non esiste nemmeno ne Il giro del mondo in 80 giorni? Perché sfatare così un mito?
Si parla di tutto, ma non di ipotetici viaggi in mongolfiera.
Questo è un colpo troppo duro al mio immaginario pre-costruito.

Si spera che riuscirò a superarla.

Il giro del mondo in 80 giorni racconta dell'affanno nel vincere una scommessa fatta in un circolo tipicamente inglese. La sco
Bethan
Although written by a Frenchman, the protagonist is the straight and phlegmatic Phileas Fogg (he embodies the British cultural stereotype), who takes up a 20,000 bet in the 1870s, to travel around the world in eighty days. He takes his French manservant Passepartout with him and they encounter adventures and delays along the way. A detective, Fix, follows them because he thinks Fogg is a thief and wants to arrest him.

It's charming, a lot of fun, and I got caught up in the race against time. I s
Muhammad Galal
-- جول فيرن هو نفسُه مؤلف القصة الشهيرة التى درسناها جميعًا فى الصف الثالث الإعدادى " Journey to the centre of the earth" .
-- الكاتب يتميز بدمج الحقائق العلمية بالأفكار فى قصص خيالية .
-- الرواية كُتبت عام 1873 م .
-- لعلّ أكثر ما أعجبنى فى شخصية مستر " فوج " --بغض النظر عن هدوئه المبالغ فيه-- هو تعامله مع الظروف الراهنة كما هى ، ليس عنده وقت للبكاء على اللبن المسكوب .
-- من النقاط الهامّة والمتكررة هى أن دائمًا الوعد بالمكافأة تكون أفضل طريق لبذل أقصى جهد ممكن .
-- رواية كلاسيكية بنهاية كلاسيكية
Annedore Oswald
Spitzen-Umsetzung des Klassikers
Wirklich, von dem Verlag wurde ich bisher noch nie enttäuscht. Er mausert sich allmählich zu meinem Lieblingsverlag bei E-Books.
Nachdem ich alle aufbereiteten Holmes-Romane schon erworben habe, mache ich mich nun an Jules-Verne. Die Qualität ist sehr gut: neue Deutsche Rechtschreibung (auch wenn nicht unbedingt nötig), hunderte von erklärenden Fußnoten zu Politikern, Geschichte oder Geographie. Und die Zeichnungen alle mit deutschen Untertiteln, wie man es von den
Eva
The writing in this book was quite bad, although it may be unfair to blame Jules Verne for that since he wrote it in French and this was an English translation. But the story was totally ridiculous and quite upsetting. Verne's portrayal of Native Americans and South Asians borders on lunacy. His characters are all ridiculous stereotypes and are completely unbelievable. But the twist at the end...loved it. I thought it was really smart and surprising, especially for the target audience, which I'v ...more
Tariq Alferis

رواية ممتعة ..رهان لرحلة حول العالم فــ ثمانين يوما ...خيال ولاه ..؟ لكن جول فيرن جعل القصة كآنه حقيقة ..نتفكر قاريه من زمان جدا لكن الاحداث ضاعت مني ..من اجمل روايات الادب العالمي ..

وداعا جول فيرن ..نلتقي فـ رحلة الي مركز الارض .الممتع انه كملته في جلسة واحدة بدون ماننتبه .

Tien
This is the first time I've actually read this book and I am very much influenced by the movies! I was expecting hot air balloons and kept looking for the 'balloon ride' part in the book. I was very much surprised when I reached the end of the book and there was ONLY 1 mention of 'balloon'. It was only mentioned in passing. Well...

I did enjoy the book. Phileas Fogg is totally & completely OCD however I like the ending where he does show that he is not completely absent of feelings wherein th
Birgit Kleine-benne
Noch ein Verne-Verlag? Warum nicht?!
Bin doch angenehm überrascht. Diese Version von „In 80 Tagen …“ ist bei Weitem die beste digitale Version, die ich kennen: Neue Deutsche Rechtschreibung und dennoch die alte Erstübersetzung, vernünftig aufbereitete Zeichnungen mit kleinen Untertitelungen und – vor allem Hunderte von erklärenden Fußnoten: zu britischen Politikern, Künstlern oder Konchrezepten, zu Ortschaften oder Religionen. Wirklich, eine prima Arbeit. (Auch wenn ich natürlich die Geschichte s
Anila
So after reading an atrocious abridged version in my French class, I went down to the library and got the original. (Which, by the way, got short shrift on cover. Have you SEEN the Apple Classics version? I don't think they could have made it look lamer if they tried.)

This book is frustrating and fantastic at the same time. When I finished it, I was beaming. Jules Verne is, IMHO, one of the first science fiction authors and this book is nonetheless half romance. No, not kidding; it really does h
Maria Freeman
This book took me forever to finish. I managed to get through India without delay, but I got stuck as soon as I entered the U.S. It just became so dull that I put it down and it took me a while to get back to it. This book is so filled with useless details such as every landform that is passed on the journey that it became tedious by page 100. And while there were a few exciting events, they weren't very realistic, it was almost as if the author had just thrown them in so that the book wouldn't ...more
Daniel Wood
The most enjoyable book I have read in a long time, I was enthralled from the first chapter.

Some complain about the stereotypes and racist/xenophobic undertones of some parts, but in the context of Victorian-era Europe, this was how much of the population though, much as some of our attitudes today will seem inappropriate or offensive to future readers.

My one criticism is the pace change. The early parts of the journey are described in the finest detail, pairing a perfect picture of what the cha
The movie Around the World in Eighty Days (1956) has a splendid cast: David Niven, Cantinflas, Robert Morley, Noel Coward, Trevor Howard, Charles Boyer, Cesar Romero, Shirley MacLaine, Charles Coburn, Peter Lorre, Marlene Dietrich, John Carradine, Frank Sinatra, Buster Keaton ando so on.
'esteban Dilo
Mi primer libro de Verne y por nada será el último. Me encantó su forma de relatar las aventuras y sobre todo el valor científico dentro de la obra, que le da el toque mágico por el año en el cual esta escrito. Los personajes totalmente queribles y expuestos, al igual del despliegue y la descripción geográfica.

¡GRANDE VERNE!
Julie
I read this book as a kid, but decided to revisit it as an adult , by listening to the audio version . If you're in the market to get an audio copy, go with the extraordinary Jim Dale as narrator. He has the most wonderful voice for stories such as this with a bit of adventure in them .
To sum up the story, Phileas Fogg is the main character ,and is fairly well off . He goes to his gentleman's club to play cards one day and his friends start talking about how long it would take travel 'round the
حنان لاشين

رواية شيقة عن أدب الرحلات نهايتها جميلة
أدب كلاسيكي ممتع
أعجبتنى فى شخصية مستر " فوج " الدقيقة والمنظمة و تعامله مع الظروف التي يمرّ بها
تبدأ الاحداث برهان بين مستر"فوج" وأحدهم ب4000 جنيه على صحة كلام "فوج" أن رحلة حول العالم لا تحتاج سوى ثمانين يومًا حيث حسبها "فوج" بالورقة والقلم
وتبدأ المغامرة
الأحداث شيقة وبها مفاجآت غير متوقعة
مطاردات المخبر السري "مستر فيكس" له وشكه فيه
ضرب الهنود له في المعبد لأنه دخله بحذائه
شرائه لفيل خلال رحلته إلى"الله أباد"
مروره بجنازة رهيبة لأحد أمراء الهنود حيث يمارسون طق
Fahad
حول العالم في ثمانين يوما ً

قرأتها في طفولتي، فلذا أخذت بسحر الرحلة، رغم أن النسخة التي حصلت عليها بالمقايضة كانت تنقصها الصفحتين الأخيرتين، فلذا انتظرت طويلا ً لأعرف أن السيد فيلياس فوج قد أنهى الرحلة بنجاح.

جميلة وممتعة.
Philip
This is the first Jules Verne book I've ever read, though of course I've been familiar with his works for as long as I can remember. I grew up watching Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, and I love the Back to the Future series. ...I mean... who doesn't?

But I'd never read any of his books.

Last year, I read All the Light We Cannot See, and loved it. One of the main characters in the story was a blind girl who happened to love Jules Verne. So, I asked Eleanor if she thought it would be a good
This book in french ?? 7 66 Mar 30, 2015 09:17AM
Book or Movie; Yo...: March Genre YA - Around the World in Eighty Days 2 3 Mar 04, 2015 10:38AM
RMFAO (Reading My...: Around The World In 80 Days 11 14 Feb 08, 2015 06:50PM
Challenges 2 38 Dec 19, 2014 09:11AM
  • Louise de La Vallière (The D'Artagnan Romances, #3.2)
  • Captains Courageous
  • Kidnapped (David Balfour, #1)
  • The Prince and the Pauper
  • Men of Iron
  • Le tigri di Mompracem
  • Captain Blood
  • King Solomon's Mines (Allan Quatermain, #1)
  • Rupert of Hentzau
  • The Absentee
  • Winnetou I - IV
  • Rob Roy
  • Peter Pan: The Complete Adventures (Illustrated Peter Pan, Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens, and The Little White Bird)
  • Tanglewood Tales: A Wonder-Book for Girls and Boys
  • The Coral Island
  • Eugénie Grandet
  • The First Men in the Moon
Jules Gabriel Verne was a French author who pioneered the genre of science-fiction. He is best known for his novels "Journey to the Center of the Earth" (1864), "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" (1870), and "Around the World in Eighty Days" (1873).

Verne wrote about space, air, and underwater travel before navigable aircraft and practical submarines were invented, and before any means of spa
More about Jules Verne...

Extraordinary Voyages (1 - 10 of 68 books)
  • Five Weeks in a Balloon (Extraordinary Voyages, #1)
  • The Adventures of Captain Hatteras (Extraordinary Voyages, #2)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth (Extraordinary Voyages, #3)
  • From the Earth to the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #4)
  • In Search of the Castaways; or the Children of Captain Grant
  • Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Extraordinary Voyages, #6)
  • Round the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #7)
  • A Floating City
  • The Blockade Runners
  • Measuring a Meridian: The Adventures of Three Englishmen and Three Russians in South Africa
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Extraordinary Voyages, #6) Journey to the Center of the Earth (Extraordinary Voyages, #3) The Mysterious Island  From the Earth to the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #4) Five Weeks in a Balloon (Extraordinary Voyages, #1)

“Anything one man can imagine, other men can make real.” 236 likes
“The chance which now seems lost may present itself at the last moment.” 80 likes