Start by marking “Voyage au centre de la Terre” as Want to Read:
Voyage au centre de la Terre
read book* *Different edition

Voyage au centre de la Terre (Extraordinary Voyages #3)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  73,880 ratings  ·  2,198 reviews
Dans la petite maison du vieux quartier de Hambourg où Axel, jeune homme assez timoré, travaille avec son oncle, l’irascible professeur Lidenbrock, géologue et minéralogiste, dont il aime la pupille, la charmante Graüben, l’ordre des choses est soudain bouleversé.
Dans un vieux manuscrit, Lidenbrock trouve un cryptogramme. Arne Saknussemm, célèbre savant islandais du xvie s
Published October 2011 by LGF - Livre de Poche (first published 1864)

Stephen
Gawd dim it, bollocks, ShazBot and shit snacks...I am so, SO bummed that I didn’t experience Jules Verne’s novels for the first time as a young man, rather than as an aging manolescent. Reading them now, as a 41 year old, I still find myself carried away in the rollickingness of his well crafted adventures, but part of me knows deep down in my nethers that there’s a warm, gooey nostalgia that will always be missing. This giant load of empty in my core, if filled, would likely have elevated this ...more
Shovelmonkey1
Jul 26, 2011 Shovelmonkey1 rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: old skool sci-fi fans
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: 1001 books list
I've tried to make The Journey to the Centre of the earth myself people, and let me tell you, it is fraught with danger! It should be a warning to you that I'm writing this from the bed of a Burns unit by typing with two chargrilled finger stumps, because the centre of the earth is not some wonderfully hollow, sparkly geode, oh no! In reality its a burning hot ball of lava, so hot that it makes the centre of a Pop Tart feel like a skinny dipping spree at the North Pole. You have been warned. Geo ...more
Manny
Why does Jules Verne often remind me of Monty Python? I mean, it's not funny or anything. Perhaps I was struck by the fact that Robur-le-conquérant doesn't just feature a flying machine called the Albatross, but also gives you a precise figure for the speed of a swallow. Anyway, with further apologies:

Dead Parrot

Me: I wish to register a complaint about this novel, which I purchased not 45 years ago in this very boutique.

John Cleese: Oh yeah? What's wrong wiv it?

Me: The title is A Journey to the Center of t
Tracey, librarian on strike
I have had a ridiculous amount of fun this year listening to classic novels as audiobooks. When Audible offered a freebie (I think it was a freebie) of Journey to the Center of the Earth read by Tim Curry, I was excited – Tim Curry! Come on. It almost didn't matter what it was; I kind of place Curry in the same class as Tom Baker – love the actor, adore the voice, will listen to literally anything read by him. (Though Tom Baker wins by having been The Doctor, of course.)

And I was right. Curry wa
Chris
Jan 05, 2008 Chris rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: calm someone down.
Recommended to Chris by: previous book by author
When I go on a Great Adventure, I like to bring a book with me which also chronicles a great adventure. This is for two reasons; first, to urge me on in my own adventure and push the boundaries of what is expected on said adventure, and second, to give me something entertaining to read about a great adventure should mine turn out less than spectacular. After reading From The Earth To The Moon by Verne and finding it totally awesome, I figured another Verne story couldn’t go astray to satisfy the ...more
Werner
Nov 17, 2008 Werner rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of 19th century fiction (esp. science fiction), and of adventure fiction
This book suffered, at the hands of the older English translators, many of the same indignities and mutilations that I mentioned in my review of Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (for instance, in the version I read, the Professor's name was Hardwegg, not Lidenbrock!), and this no doubt produces a reading experience much inferior to the one Verne actually intended; but even reading it in one of these impaired translations, it came across to me as one of Verne's better books, and one of those ...more
Robert
This is genuine science fiction from 1864. It is a straight-forward read about a man who's uncle, an eminent Professor of mineralogy, discovers a secret manuscript detailing the entrance to a passage leading to the centre of the Earth, written three hundred years before by a man who claims to have been there and returned. The nephew, reluctant and fearful, is dragged along on an expedition to re-discover the route - if it really exists.

Perhaps a little too much time is spent getting to the subte
David Shaw
Before reading this book, I had taken a glance at some of the reviews posted by others. To my surprise, there had been a lot more negative reception than I had expected, even though at some time or another, any novel will find its detractors.

One of the criticisms I came across was that of this novel "being too descriptive, and long-winded", and comments of that nature.

Now, after having just finished the book, I feel at liberty to respond to these statements as being misguided or unwarranted. By
Dusty Folds
Seriously, what is this book? Is it a sci fi novel, is it a travel manual, is it a textbook? The only redeeming quality it had was that the narrative was written in such a way to make the reading rather quick.

With that being said, though, I was more than a little disappointed. I thought I would be reading a fantastical story about a mystical journey and what I got was a lesson on geology, geography, history, science, and more. Verne's narrator is not sympathetic at all. His persistent whining m
Francis
I'm not going to go into a description of the plot because the title says it all. I will only give my overall opinion.

In picking this book up from the library I had fantastic preconceived images burned into my mind of what I might expect to read (prehestoric animals, humanoids, battles, escapes, etc.). I was more than a little disappointed to find it lacking most of those mentioned. I have read books like "Snowcrash" that blow my preconceived notions away with more than expected surprises, but "
David
May 20, 2012 David rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Professors of Mineralogy, Icelandic hunters
I wish I could say this classic is as thrilling as it was when first published, but some books remain cultural milestones for their historical importance, even though more recent, imaginative, and better successors have come along, and this is true of most of Jules Verne's works, I think. He is the grandfather of "hard science fiction," and his books were notable for their rigorous attention to the laws of physics as they were understood at the time. Everything about Journey to the Centre of the ...more
Kristen
It had been many years since I had read a Jules Verne novel, and to be honest, I couldn't recall his skill as a writer at all. When I dug this book off of my bookshelf I admit, I was simply bored and looking for something mindless to read while the children fought over gluing cotton balls to construction paper.

I admit that it took my mind a while to re-acclimate to the writing style of the time, not that it was difficult to read, it was just far too easy to skim. So, bringing my mind to a scree
Cherie
I listened to the audio version narrated by Simon Prebble and I also read the Barnes & Noble Classic collection version. No matter what, I loved the story.

I know, I am odd, I like all of the old Jules Verne stories with all of the old and sometimes wrong scientific stuff and stuffy English translations. I really wish I could read it in French. It would be so cool!

For me, it is the story and all about getting there. If the characters are even remotely likable, I am a happy camper. It is no
Qt
Great book--a fun tale of Professor Lidenbrock's determined attempt to reach the center of the earth, as narrated by his nephew in often-amusing language. Plenty of traces of geology, anthropology, and archaeology, but without getting bogged down. It was a surprisingly easy and fun read, and descriptive too. Good adventure story!

P.S. My version was published in 1954 and translated by Willis T. Bradley.
Shauni Marie
It was AWESOME I want to go to the center of the Earth now!!
Christopher
Q: What's not to like about three dudes traveling through a volcano into the depths of the earth and discovering dinosaurs and giant mushrooms and blowing it all up with gunpowder?

A: Unfortunately, all the boring parts in between that fun stuff. For every dinosaur fight witnessed, there's a lot of stumbling around in the dark and whining about being hungry and thirsty and I wanna be back home with my fiancé, et cetera.

Still, it's a pretty fun time.

More importantly though: did you know that there
Guido
This book shares many elements with 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, though Verne wrote the latter 5 years after the former and corrected many of the original's flaws in doing so. As it stands, Journey to the Center of the Earth reads more like a Choose Your Own Adventure book than a classic science fiction novel.

In Journey, as in 20,000, the protagonist is part of a team of three adventurers: the scientist, the junior scientist, and the muscle. But here all three characters ring quite hollow:
- th
Jim
Jules Verne's novels are by no means credible, but they are interesting. One keeps wondering what is going to happen next. The very idea of a journey to the earth's center is preposterous, but that doesn't stop Verne from making it happen.

And what do you suppose lies a hundred or so miles beneath the earth's surface, but a massive, seemingly endless ocean with its own diffuse light source, its own clouds, weather, sea monsters, etc. Our questing heroes even find mastodons and a primitive man, bu
Marvin
This was my very favorite Jules Verne novel when I was a kid and it still holds up well. Verne is at his best when he is writing a travelogue of the fantastic. The author has some excellent descriptions of the underground journey that is some of his best writing. I also like how the professor and his nephew play on each other, setting off weaknesses and strengths in each other. I never thought Verne gets enough credit for his characterizations which can be extraordinary rich. After 50 years it i ...more
Vanessa
The ultimate vintage adventure story. Absolutely LOVED it. New (and long time coming) convert to Jules Verne. I expect I will be reading this aloud to some small child years from now, doing all the different voices whilst leaping from couch to bed to chair to avoid the lava floor. Highly recommended.
Mandy
I liked this book enough to make an earth-layered cake in it's honour, complete with an icthyosaur on top. That should say enough. I ate poor prostrated honey-bear cookie Axel first, upon his raft of chocolate squares. Stoic Hans remained 'til the end, though the icing Ichthyosaur may have given me diabetes.
Ruth
First off, this edition has some issues with the names. The cover names the characters from the original French version while the text itself changes them (which they did when they translated it into English for some reason). So not only was that confusing, but the narrator is sometimes called Henry and sometimes Harry. So if you're going to read this or buy it, get a better edition.

The story was drier than I expected. I grew up watching the Pat Boone, James Mason movie of the book which is pre
Amalie
Firstly, I'm not reviewing this edition, I can't seem to find the edition I read, it is a Puffin. The reason why I talk about the edition is: There are different versions with more than one English translation. It's just like when you read the Russian classics or any other foreign classics, you just have to find a decent translation!

If you want to find the best for one this, go for Robert Baldick's translation. I am very familiar with the basic plot by reading an abridged version several times
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
There are apparently two editions for this book: one published with children in mind, and one with adults in mind. This is a children's edition, which means that there aren't any notes and the chapters are titled instead of numbered, with very obvious titles like "We Reach Iceland" and "Inside the Crater". You could read the list of chapters and get the whole story, really. It's also kept the original names of the characters - the narrator is Axel, not what was it, Henry? (Both are German names, ...more
Kerry
It wasn't bad, per se, but it was a little boring. And certainly there is not enough to discuss for two hours! Oh well.

I was surprised at all of the legit (though outdated) science in it. I thought this was going to be more like The Time Machine, and that they were going to discover an entire civilization under the earth or something. I'd've been interested in an annotated version that talked about all the science presented, in terms of a) what was thought to be true at the time it was written a
Gaijinmama
This was just OK for me. The first two-thirds were slow-paced, but I kept going because the complicated relationship between the narrator and his uncle was interesting. I also really enjoyed the descriptions of Iceland and would totally LOVE to visit.
The last third of the book was a lot more exciting and I liked the way it ends, although it's completely out of the realm of scientific possibility.
Things that really bothered me: Verne was sexist, or just not all that interested in women. He also w
Almeta
The Journey did not hold my attention well, and I picked up other books before finishing it.

Acrophobia, Achluophobia, Cleithrophobia, Claustrophobia, Antlophobia, Astraphobia, Thalassophobia ...this adventure story has them all! I know, I know, after looking up the word for "Fear of Darkness", I went overboard on the phobias. (view spoiler)

I can't object to the scientific possibilities of this work. After all it is Science Fiction. I actually think Verne was showi
Nenia Campbell
Professor Hardwigg: Good news, everyone! I've discovered an ancient code that will take us into a forgotten world beneath a dormant volcano full of unspeakable dangers! You'll be coming with me as my guinea pi — I mean, fellow “adventures” (ahem) — to help me go down in faaaaaaame.

Harry: Awww, Uncle! Can't I stay home and wait until it comes on the Discovery Channel? I'm allergic to danger!

Professor H: Shush, you ninny. Are you a man, or are you a woman in men's clothing? To the volcano!

Harry: I
Blake
Despite the advent of fresh and enthused scholarship, the ease with which the width of Verne's diversity is narrowed by benevolent prejudice will probably continue. Yet, even as a voice of mere adventure, some of his best powers are at work audibly. His wonders have the red tooth and claw of H. G. Wells; his characters, attendant animals as they are to this sense, close around a humanistic heat that is not at odds with it but finally volcanic.
Michael
Thought I'd start the year with an old classic and one of my favourite reads. As a geologist and fantasy lover, I love the blend of fictional and real science that Verne writes, while also being written in a very readable, gripping and entertaining manner. I also enjoyed the film that was made from it, if you just take it as what it is - a fun-filled, exhilarating adventure ride not to be taken seriously and the perfect escapism.
  • The First Men in the Moon
  • Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ
  • The Lost World (Professor Challenger, #1)
  • At the Earth's Core (Pellucidar, #1)
  • The Second Jungle Book
  • The Adventures of Baron Münchausen
  • Allan Quatermain
  • The Pathfinder (Leatherstocking Tales, #3)
  • Vicomte de Bragelonne (The D'Artagnan Romances, #3.1)
  • The Old Curiosity Shop
  • The Coral Island
  • Marius the Epicurean
  • Captain Blood
  • Pierre et Jean
  • The House on the Borderland
  • Le tigri di Mompracem
Jules Gabriel Verne was a French author who pioneered the genre of science-fiction. He is best known for his novels "Journey to the Center of the Earth" (1864), "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" (1870), and "Around the World in Eighty Days" (1873).

Verne wrote about space, air, and underwater travel before navigable aircraft and practical submarines were invented, and before any means of spa
More about Jules Verne...
Around the World in Eighty Days Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Extraordinary Voyages, #6) The Mysterious Island  From the Earth to the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #4) Five Weeks in a Balloon (Extraordinary Voyages, #1)

“We are of opinion that instead of letting books grow moldy behind an iron grating, far from the vulgar gaze, it is better to let them wear out by being read.” 1888 likes
“While there is life there is hope. I beg to assert...that as long as a man's heart beats, as long as a man's flesh quivers, I do not allow that a being gifted with thought and will can allow himself to despair.” 42 likes