Introduction to Electrodynamics

Introduction to Electrodynamics

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  1,252 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Contents are same as US/UK editions. This updated and revised edition continues to provide a clear, precise and accessible coverage of fundamentals of electromagnetic theory through lucid exposition, logical organization, and sound pedagogical order. Standard topics are dealt with exclusively in the domain of classical mechanics, save for the last chapter, although electro...more
Paperback, Third Edition, 576 pages
Published December 1st 2009 by PHI Learning (first published January 1st 1981)

Laurel
Every book should be this book.

I am taking a class involving this book again, and have been reacquainted with how awesome it is. It is in fact almost unnecessary to take a class to learn the material if you have this book and enough motivation.

Some people are somewhat put off by the informal, conversational writing style, the way it forces you to work through problems rather than handing everything to you, and it's somewhat non-standard notation. I must say, if the writing style is more difficul...more
Ivan Idris
This book is an introduction on electricity and magnetism covering:

Electrostatics
Electric Fields
Magnetostatics
Magnetic Fields
Radiation
Relativistic Electrodynamics

The style of the book is very concise. In my opinion the majority of the examples are a bit abstract. Still the explanations are clear and the main points are indicated in such a way that you cannot miss them. For instance, in the story about Faraday’s law, the sentence

“A changing magnetic field induces an electric field.”

is print...more
Sean
If you want to a good mathematical approach to learning Electricity and Magnetism, Griffiths is your man. He treats the subject with just the right level of rigor, where you understand why the equations and principles are the way they are, but not at the point where you are swamped with burdensome grad school math. The order in which he presents the topics is perfect; each new topic builds on the previous topics. My undergraduate physics program had no better textbook than this one, and I recomm...more
Roshan Shrestha
Introduction to Electrodynamics is probably the best book I have read on Electrodynamics at the Introductory level, though I have heard great reviews on the Classical Electrodynamics by Jackson which is what I am planning to read very soon. This book presents the subject matter in a very informal way which is what Griffiths is successful on explaining the boring subject at times in an articulate way. The best part about this for me was the chapter on Vector Analysis which most book fails at sinc...more
Silvio Curtis
"It can be covered comfortably in two semesters," but unfortunately I'm not taking a class on this and don't have two semesters to spend on it, so I had to skip or skim most of the math and read for definitions and basic ideas. That's a shame, because it meant missing the heart of the textbook, even though the author tries to give geometrical and intuitive explanations too where at all possible. The first half teaches you to calculate electric fields created by unmoving charges and magnetic fiel...more
DJ
Dec 18, 2008 DJ rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves physics
Shelves: physics
This book is the paragon of fine textbook writing. Griffith discusses experiment, history, and theory alongside one another. Every great equation is preceded by a discussion of the physics behind it and when you do reach that beautiful equation, you understand every piece. Intuitive pictures and explanations accompany any abstract proof. Doing the exercises is like unwrapping a present; each leading the student to discover some new and interesting facet of the material most recently presented. T...more
Vivek Jha
This is one of the finest books on the topic.The concepts are explained very well and it helped me a lot in college.i recommend this book to everyone who wants to know about the subject.
Erica Gonzales
If you actually READ textbooks...Griffiths can be quite humorous in his stories/analogies regarding the phenomena of electrodynamics. Great for upper division undergraduate students.
Philip
This is a great introductory text to the study of electromagnetics. It gives students a good physical understanding of the subject and provides the tools a student needs to solve EM problems. It gives them a solid foundation for them to build upon for more advanced studies in Electromagnetics.

Field and Wave Electromagnetics by David K. Cheng is the other introductory electromagnetics book I recommend. It gives a good physical understanding of the matter, but not to the same extent as Griffiths....more
Chaitanya
Jun 23, 2014 Chaitanya rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People looking for introduction to ElectrMagnetics
Shelves: electromagnetics
Nice textbook.
Gets to the concepts & hits the right nerve. Really makes me love EM even more.

This book is written with main target on people preferring self study & I rarely have seen this. Very often it feels like author is talking to over a cup of coffee & spilling his wisdom into you. Worth a read for solid introduction, although I admit that with this book you ain't going anywhere near exams because material is too fundamental from exam point. Other text for specified topic is m...more
Gilang
Buku teks untuk mata kuliah yang berhubungan dengan Elektromagnetik Klasik. Contoh soalnya banyak dan ada kunci jawabannya, cukup runut dengan basis matematika yang diterangkan di awal-awal bab, khususnya kalkulus vektor, sehingga teori dan persamaan matematis bab berikutnya menjadi lebih mudah untuk dipahami. Bab yang diterangkan terdiri dari Elektrostatik sampai Gejala Gelombang Elektromagnetik, ditambah satu bab tentang pengenalan gejala elektromagnet relativistik.

Sangat membantu untuk anda y...more
Joecolelife
Mar 22, 2011 Joecolelife rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joecolelife by: www.CocoMartini.com Online Bookstore
After 11+ years of undergraduate and graduate physics education, I have to say that Griffiths is *the* best text book I've ever used. In any field. Reading it is like having a conversation with the instructor. The problems are fantastic (for the level of the text) and the examples are perfect. If all text books were of this quality, my education would have been much more enjoyable. The text is no replacement for Jackson, since it never attempts electrodynamics at Jackson's level. But for its lev...more
William
Other than getting used to full vector notation in calculus, there is really no reason to teach from any other electrodynamics book at the undergraduate level. Freshman and sophomore level books are often so interested in problems due to the large lectures containing many engineers and med students that the explanations are poor at best. This book on the other hand is very clear. While students need to be quite comfortable with calculus to deal with the notation, the explanations are elementary...more
Justin Thompson
the STANDARD for how all text books should be written
Noele
Jul 05, 2014 Noele added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
we have 2 copies
Suaad Alsaggaf
Partial reading.
Kaitlyn
Best textbook I've ever had the pleasure (and it really was a pleasure) of reading. Very clear, concise, and, believe it or not, funny. Griffiths' writes in a down-to-earth, simple fashion, so you don't get caught up in jargon and verbosity. He writes to the student, saying how "you" need to do this, and sometimes how "I" prefer to do that. It really feels like he's sitting there teaching you E&M, and it's a great experience.
Peyton
Griffiths is a great textbook writer. Often, it seems as though he gives just enough examples for you to be able to do some of the problems without trying; others, with some difficulty; and some problems are quite difficult. In short, there's a good balance with the level of difficulty of the problem sets here - which to me is important for learning.
Dave
This is a staple of any serious Physics library. Griffiths strikes a really accessible balance between explaining concepts thoroughly and keeping the subject matter moving. Much of the math is overly-shortcutted for my tastes, but that is why the book is so thin. I just personally believe that review of fundamental principles can never hurt.
AJ
This is one of my all-time favorite reference books. It covers vector analysis and electrodynamics very comprehensively. Although I've never had a class that has required this textbook, I frequently found myself using it as a reference in courses I took in optics and fields and waves, and even for brushing up my vector math skills.
If you know calculus (he does give you a vector calculus primer in the first chapter, but I think that would've been pretty tough if it was my first exposure to 3-D calc), this textbook is excellent! Griffiths is obviously an amazing teacher, and his writing style is wonderfully informal but not at the expense of rigor.
Rich Bergmann
Griffiths has a goofy shorthand notation for the difference vector (^r-^r'), but getting past that this is the most approachable undergraduate text on the subject.

So far we have covered the first six chapters in the first semester course and we will be covering the remaining chapters when classes start next month.
Ashiqul Dip
Jan 21, 2013 Ashiqul Dip rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Undergraduate Physics Student
There is no doubt that Griffiths is the best book on electrodynamics. It can be more useful if used with "Classical Mechanics" by Taylor. Some people prefer the book of Jackson, but I should say that this is peerless for undergrads majoring physics. Jackson is a graduate text and may be a stress for undergrads.
Murali Behara
Why can't everyone else write a book* like David J. Griffiths does? Good for reading many times and to study and apply the subject matter. *Primarily the bed-rock Physics courses, Classical Mechanics, Quantum Mechanics & Materials Science. 15yrs later, i'm planning to read Griffiths.
James
Feb 28, 2007 James rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Physics Majors
This is an excellent book with which to start learning electrodynamics. It's very well written and unlike many text books, very readable. Nowhere near as complete or encyclopedic as Jackson; but, I suppose thats the difference between an undergraduate text and a graduate text.
Michael
About as perfect an introduction you can get, everything is very well organized, presented in griffiths' wonderfully conversational style, with plenty of math work and examples. The standard undergraduate E/M book, for good reason.
James Lyon
My favorite (introductory) book on Electrodynamics. Griffith's engaging way of presenting the material held my attention the whole way through. Highly recommended, as well as his quantum book.
Brian Bloom
Best book out there on electrodynamics however it would have been helpful if they included some more examples / solutions to problems so that the topic could be self taught easier.
Astrila
Mar 01, 2009 Astrila rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Physicist wannabes
Recommended to Astrila by: UNM Professor
Shelves: read-non-fiction
Griffiths is AWESOME :) You can tell the quality of a physics book by the amount and quality of jokes interspersed in the text ;)
  • Classical Electrodynamics
  • Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences
  • Classical Mechanics
  • An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics
  • Optics
  • Modern Quantum Mechanics
  • Principles of Quantum Mechanics (Hardcover)
  • DIV, Grad, Curl, and All That: An Informal Text on Vector Calculus
  • The Feynman Lectures on Physics
  • Gravitation
  • Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos: With Applications to Physics, Biology, Chemistry, and Engineering
  • Elementary Differential Equations And Boundary Value Problems
  • The Art of Electronics
  • Fundamentals of Physics
  • Feynman's Lost Lecture: The Motion of Planets Around the Sun
  • Thermodynamics
  • Thirty Years that Shook Physics: The Story of Quantum Theory
  • The Road to Reality: A Complete Guide to the Laws of the Universe
Introduction to Quantum Mechanics Introduction to Elementary Particles Solutions Manual For Introduction To Quantum Mechanics Introduction to Electrodynamics: International Edition Somali and Kurdish Refugees in London: New Identities in the Diaspora