Start by marking “Lucrezia Borgia” as Want to Read:
Lucrezia Borgia

Lucrezia Borgia

3.19 of 5 stars 3.19  ·  rating details  ·  294 ratings  ·  41 reviews
“A fascinating story, rich in detail. In every case, Faunce portrays [Lucrezia] believably, with wit and sensitivity.”--Library Journal

Hundreds of years after her death, Lucrezia Borgia remains one of the most enigmatic and notorious women of history, accused of incest, of poisoning her rivals, and even of murdering her own father. Born into scandal, she was the daughter o
Published March 23rd 2004 by Broadway Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Lucrezia Borgia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucrezia Borgia

The Prince by Niccolò MachiavelliThe Birth of Venus by Sarah DunantThe House of Medici by Christopher HibbertBrunelleschi's Dome by Ross KingThe Swerve by Stephen Greenblatt
The Renaissance
77th out of 171 books — 90 voters
The Borgia Bride by Jeanne KalogridisBlood & Beauty by Sarah DunantMadonna of the Seven Hills by Jean PlaidyThe Family by Mario PuzoPoison by Sara Poole
Best Books about the Borgia Family
38th out of 51 books — 129 voters

More lists with this book...

I couldn't get past 20 pages without quitting. I found this book to be at once both pretentious and sleazy. And my gosh, with a topic like Lucrezia Borgia, how can a book be boring? But this guy just seemed fascinated with his own words, wandering around and around in his endless, dry narrative. Sorry--I couldn't finish it.
Trina Dienger
I’ve read many biographies of Cesare Borgia and family so I’m knowledgeable about when novels skewer the history behind repair. While the history in most books is adequate the characterizations are poor, especially since most tend to write Cesare off as a psychopath, something that annoys me given I don’t view him in that light.

To view Cesare in the morals of our own period, as is often done, is wrong and ignores everything that makes Cesare great and the Prince Niccolo Machiavelli wrote about.
Melissa Namba
I think I really could have loved this book even with its inaccuracies if so many of the problems weren't such obvious signs of not doing adequate research. Some examples are: lower case nu is often used in the place of the lower case upsilon in the Greek words. Latin quotes written in third person singular are translated as third person plural or first person singular (any first year Latin student would have caught that), Hadrian's lover was Antinoos, not Antininous, and the various notions of ...more
Karen Butman
Ugh, so glad I am finished. I am fairly familiar with The Borgia family and their history, so that aspect of the book was interesting. However, I felt the language was difficult to read. I found several words that I doubt would be spoken at this time in history. Also, I felt the author was trying to impress us with his knowledge (which I later found out was ill researched) and his vocabulary. Too many big words interspersed with Greek history and some Greek letters even that I felt was unnecessa ...more
I'm going to swim against the tide of reviews here and say that I enjoyed this book a lot. It does start slow, but the language is beautiful, and when it slips into a jarring modern tongue, it only underlines the themes, like modern music in the film version of The Great Gatsby. The fifteenth century was a shocking, horrifying place. Executions by the ruling establishment were grim, disease was everywhere, and women were treated terribly; Faunce draws parallels to the modern world and tries to s ...more
Foi o primeiro livro que li sobre a figura de Lucrécia Bórgia. Já tinha lido textos sobre os Bórgias, visto uma série, documentários... para além dos factos documentados, há muita especulação sobre quem foram Rodrigo Bórgia (Papa Alexandre VI) e seus filhos Lucrécia e César Bórgia.
A fama é de uma família corrupta, dissoluta e libertina. A verdade só quem viveu na época saberá. Muitos mitos rondam esta família, incluindo o de incesto entre César e Lucrécia e eventualmente até entre Lucrécia e o p
I read a good deal of reviews for this book, most of which were actually terrifying. In dedication to my quest to read all Borgia novels before I present my own, I went ahead and read this one anyway.

At the very least, it was entertaining. Had it not been a historical novel, it might have actually had the potential to be good. Unfortunately, what we ended up with was a historical novel that wanted desperately to be contemporary.

As far as historical accuracy goes, don't expect any. There's more h
Shawna Jones
Jun 05, 2008 Shawna Jones rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who have a high tolerance for mediocre fiction
This book is really poorly written.

The chronology is totally off, skips around events without any points of reference. Very confusing to follow the thread of the story in some places, or to tell if something that is being described is happening right then or somewhere in the past.

Point of view is skewed as well. It's written in a memoir style, yet the narrator keeps dipping into omniscient mode -- and not in that "i know this because wossname told me later" way.

The main character isn't very con
It was a toss up between a one or a two for this book. I wanted to like it, but after reading The Borgias: The Hidden History
by G.J. Meyer, this book just seemed totally made up and the language seemed just too modern and too much graphic sex. The whole book seemed like it was written for shock effect. When I read about the author, that this was his first book and he is actually a screenwriter, I thought this explains a lot.I actually forced myself to finish this book, in hopes that perhaps woul
This is my first take on the apparently infamous Borgia crime it was a lil slow and meandering and the best part was in the end when it just couldn't get into it..She wasn't a likeable figure; at least not how this author presented her; she wasn't evil, she wasn't brave (despite her zena transformations to her second husband, it just seemed out of place) she was a pawn and she could have taken her final stand by seeing it to the end promoting herself if you will ...more
This book wasn't terrible, but it did a lot of that 'guy writing a book as a girl' thing where they feel the need to just CONSTANTLY remind us that the character they're writing is soooo beautiful and everyone wants them because they're the more gorgeous thing ever to be gorgeous ever. I don't really need to be reminded every two chapters that the main character is supposed to be pretty, and it always feels sort of weird to have a first person character talk about how pretty they are all the tim ...more
I wanted to like this book. I love historical fiction and the stories surrounding the Borgias(and Lucrezia in particular) are incredibly interesting. However, I could not finish this book. I made myself read up to about 100 pages, because sometimes books just start slowly. I give the book the benefit of the doubt, but this one did not redeem itself. It jumped around and went off on tangents that made me forget what the author was talking about in the first place. Most importantly, I could not ev ...more
Sandra Cornejo
Un libro interesante y entretenido en un comienzo, con mucho material histórico, llegando casi al final se hace lento y tedioso pero en general el libro me gusto.
It was OK. A fast read. I guess much is based roughly on fact?
Well, I doubt it enlightened me, but I enjoyed it.
If you are a student of advanced medieval history with very strong knowledge in the renaissance,including the artists & their art of the time period along with the various romance & greek languages, papal history, religious christianity, kings, queens & sovereignties of 15th century, and you enjoy the macabre - then this book is recommended. Otherwise it is not for the casual reader or even for those who have adequate knowledge of all the above then it will read as a curiosity of the ...more
Marika Alexander
I've heard the name "Borgia" before but didn't know much else than that, so it was fun to read a book about the daughter of Pope Alexander VI, a woman trapped by family loyalties between the ambitiousness of her father and ruthless empire-building of her golden brother, Cesare. Her voice in this book is quite witty, realistic and captivating; one of the most entertaining voices of any historical fiction book I've read.
Story about the daughter of a very corrupt pope Alexander VI. She also has an evil brother names Caesare. It takes place around 1500 when the papacy was super corrupt, power hungry, violent and decadent. Interesting but full of unseemly lust and bloody battlefield scenes.

The author makes constant Greek and Roman literary references which might turn off some readers but I felt it set the tone quite well.
Wow! What a messed up political mess the church can be sometimes.
This was a little slow to start, but was a quick read once I got into it. The writing style was a little strange because the author had a lot of Latin in it, but threw in a lot of modern language and phrases that made it difficult to stay in the feel of the time.

A fascinating read, I would like to read more about this historical figure.
Shannon Dunn
It was terrible. I finished it because I'm in the habit of finishing books. That is all.
The hardest book I've read for a long, long while. If the Roman/Greek/Egyptian mythological references don't do you in, the Biblical and Scripture references just might twist you under. And that's not adding the bombastic words into the whole melee.

Otherwise, the book has its jaw-dropping, stomach-twisting, heart-stopping moments. That is, if you can get past the first few pages.
When I first bought this book, I was very intrigued. Yet the writing was very tedious, it was a difficult book to get through. I felt that the material could have been handled much more successfully especially since Lucrezia Borgia led such an interesting life. I normally become at least a little attached to the characters in the books I read, but I really could not connect here.
Peggy Biggs
It's a shame this book is so sickeningly violent. The author is very talented and the Borgias so fascinating that I kept reading to the end. Although it's a novel, I often found myself going online to check for historical accuracy. Many things appeared to be factual, and others were blatantly inaccurate.
La narrativa fue muy buena, los personajes me agradaron muchísimo, la vehemencia de César fue lo más notable de este libro. Excelente libro. // The narrative was very good, I liked the characters a lot, the vehemence of Caesar was most remarkable about this book. Excellent book.
Lucrezia Borgia is one of the most interesting and misunderstood women in world history. This book does a very good job at shedding light on who she actually was, the people who surrounded her, and the time in which she lived, in an enjoyable, light-read way.
Interesting read, sad and complicated.
A good yarn. She's still Lucrezia but more sympathetic with Faunce's invented memoir.
I really tried to finish the book but honestly I skipped through after reading about half if the book. I was hoping to really like it since it was about a facinating woman but not thi book.
This was a wonderful read. It really captured the luxury and excess of the papacy at the time as well as told the famous story of her life from Lucrezia's point of view.
  • Lucrezia Borgia and the Mother of Poisons
  • Lucrezia Borgia
  • Light on Lucrezia (Lucrezia Borgia, #2)
  • Poison in the Blood: The Memoirs of Lucrezia Borgia
  • The Borgia Mistress (The Poisoner Mysteries, #3)
  • The Secret Wife of King George IV
  • The Mercy Seller (Illuminator, #2)
  • The Exiled (War of the Roses, #2)
  • Duchess of Aquitaine: A Novel of Eleanor
  • Sins of the House of Borgia
  • Murder of a Medici Princess
  • Lucrezia Borgia: Life, Love, and Death in Renaissance Italy
  • The Scroll of Seduction
  • The Life of Cesare Borgia
  • The Secret Life of Josephine: Napoleon's Bird of Paradise
  • Behold the Many
  • Lucrezia Borgia: A Tragedy (1847)
  • The First Princess of Wales